Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The Ninth Layer posted:

On the subject of Joker 3, something I found out the other day is that while there's a translation patch that covers the base game only, someone has since come up with a patch for Pro that uses the base game's translation patch plus a machine translation for Joker 3 Professional's additional content.

I was on the translation team for that. I personally finished (a very rough) version of all the professional content YEARS AGO (around the time the original patch dropped TBH), but the guy in charge of the project just refused to push it out to a patch because he was lazy and disinterested. I waited months and years. Really kinda pissed me off.

I still have txt files of all the text in the game translated. Maybe I should just leak them or something, since it seems like this project is dead beyond dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

In Training posted:

You should. Everyone deserves more DQ

Ok

https://www86.zippyshare.com/v/gyzUHrfX/file.html

pls mirror and spread

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 27, 2021

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

snohax posted:

Are you in the Dragon Quest Translations discord? There's some technical talent in there who'd probably be very interested in those files and/or working with you, and I heard talk that the folks who just did the DQM2 translation were looking at J3 Pro next.

edit: Here's the discord link since it's posted in the gbatemp thread: https://discord.gg/DGtNKJGy2e

Yeah, same people. There is no "looking to do next". It has been done for years.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Is Treasures supposed to be a monsters series title? If so, I am psyched.

I'd like to work on a translation patch for X, since it may not be localized, but preferably with a different set of individuals than the DQ Translations sect due to issues with work ethic and communication.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Last Celebration posted:

Dragon Quest X’s supposed to be getting an offline version but for some weird reason there’s no plans to localize it.

Two reasons I can think of:

1) It's a MASSIVE amount of content. It's literally like 10 years worth of poo poo.

2) If they commit to any kind of localization, they are essentially making a non-committal agreement to also localize more of it further down the line, when more chapters make it to offline. Or just looking at the whole picture of all DQX content including that which isn't in the offline version amplifies number 1.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Been playing a bunch of DQX (both live and the new OL port) lately.

RillAkBea posted:

I posted this on the general RPG thread already but in short, DQXO is a trash fire. I was actually a little excited for it because me and my wife rather enjoyed DQX but couldn't justify the monthlies, so it seemed like a good way to play the game at your own pace. Unfortunately though, it's just kinda bad. The nostalgia bait graphical overhaul is really poorly implemented and the whole thing just feels lazy. I wouldn't have minded so much if it weren't for the fact it's a full price title for an inferior version of a 10 year old game.

Sounds like you just don't like the stylistic changes more than anything. Much of it has been completely revamped, and it's pretty clear that they were trying to make a different game based on Dragon Quest X rather than just port Dragon Quest X to be more single player friendly; I think if you like DQ games there isn't really a reason you wouldn't like that one, providing you don't play the live version. Hell, you can do most of the stuff in the live version these days without ever actually interacting with another players and stick to systems that are contingent upon input from other players, like the Bazaar (DQX ver of an auction house) and tavern to hire AI controlled versions of other player characters to party up with. This has been my experience most of my way through all the content up until version 4 (the 3rd expansion) so far.

What can I say about the quality of graphics and overall aesthetics of ACTUAL Dragon Quest X. Well, it starts off a little rough, but it gets better as you move through expansions. It somehow manages to be both embarrassingly bad and refreshingly badass at the same time; the actual character design and graphical style are top notch among any MMO, and easily probably the most aesthetically pleasing i've seen, even if it is just Toriyama doing the same poo poo he has done since the 80s and creating a million protags that look like Trunks to combat a million villains that look like Cell. Animations are beautiful, but frame rates are low. Textures are garbage. Much is uninspired at first, but around Version 3 the environments get really cool.

Gameplay wise, it is a hard one to judge. The first version is basically going to be a steamroll where you don't really know how to gauge the power level of zones, but it won't matter when the NPC PCs you hire will just slaughter everything. Hundreds of hours worth of grinding have been sliced away from the gameplay over the years as content has gotten powercrept by additional classes and player-provided resources. Version 2 gets a little harder in some places, but is still mostly sleepy. Around level 90 or so of character strength is where the gameplay gets a little unpredictable. The power level of your character goes up at very miniscule intervals. Regular battles are never really a problem, but bosses will always be death machines that run around one-shotting your MC, and one or two-shotting the OP NPC PCs you hire. The fights usually come down to avoiding as much damage as you can from AoE or avoidable environmental attacks (which usually have really poor tells. In fact, the biggest tell a giant AoE ability is going to land is usually when you see the AI controlled characters suddenly backing away from the boss for no reason) and hoping the AI revives characters that die ASAP. The AI literally has done like 90% of the damage, and all of the healing/utility for me. Thus, I really don't know how to feel about the game if I am being honest. I am having fun with it, but it seems more like taking a vacation to Dragon Quest: The Theme Park and going on rides all day. There is a ton to do over base+5 expansions (10 years of content) but probably not anywhere near your WoWs or FFXIVs. There aren't instanced dungeons, though you can party up if you want. There isn't really a need to though, at least pre-endgame. There are plenty of classes to play, but at LEAST half, maybe 3/4s of them are garbage. You'll level everything to around 35 for permanent stat bonuses, then probably pick one of the classes that can be counted on one hand that actually do stuff. I actually would like to try some of the mediocre classes a bit more, but leveling is a bit of a bitch. You get about one class leveled for free most of the way to level cap@124 just by doing the story content, but you'll have to slow grind the rest up with a handful of acceleration resources that last through low levels.

Overall I give both versions of DQX a solid score of Dragon Quest out of 10. If that sounds good to you, you should try the trial of the PC version and use the translation tools that are out if you need to. I don't use them so I can't say how good they are, but there is a whole discord and community of people who do, so I guess they work decently.

Edit: forgot to mention music. Similarly to DQXI, there isn't too much original music in the game, you mostly get reused and arranged versions of music from other Dragon Quest games. It is pleasant, but it gets old really fast. Especially when you get to a new zone or fight a new boss and it just recycles one of the same themes again. It's clear ol' Sugiyama was probably mostly retired at the point when this game came around. Hopefully it will get better in the future for X as well as XII as he has moved away from this mortal coil.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Sep 29, 2022

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

JustJeff88 posted:

How does one play this single-player in the west, if possible? My MMO days are long gone, but I'll give it a punt if I can play solo.

https://dqxabbey.com has the details that will guide you through if you can't navigate Japanese very well.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
It was a poor design decision to even make the credits roll when they did.

My only thought is they didn't really develop that much of an actual post game compared to other DQ games, so they figured people might be disappointed and thus tried to make it feel like the last third of the game was the postgame.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Feels Villeneuve posted:

oh my god who cares if some people call it the postgame

My criticism is that it's more likely than not that many people probably stopped playing the game when the credits rolled, despite the fact that the story (main, as well as individual character's stories) clearly isn't over yet. So I feel sorry for those people. It's like they essentially found a book at a garage sale or something that had what vaguely resembled an ending most of the way through, but are oblivious to the fact that a chunk of pages were torn away from the back of the book.

I don't really know why games do this. Nier Automata comes to mind as well.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Ps2 DQV has a unique art style that is pretty cool

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
After a few hours of Treasures, i'm not exactly sure who the game is for. It seems charming, but not really all that engaging for a vet DQ player. I was kinda hoping it would be more similar to a standard DQM game, but it is really its own thing entirely.

Maybe it's a good entry game to introduce to a younger player or SO in order to get them hooked on DQ as a series and want to play other games.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Typically, you can do some INSANELY broken poo poo very early game in monsters series titles that isn't tied to level. For example, in Joker 3 pro, if you scouted something like 64 of the stripped cat monsters that you can encounter 2 minutes into the game and breed them all with each other, you ended up with the Cat Rebellion boss monster from DQX that was S rank. It works this way because as you breed them with themselves, they slowly upgrade to the next version of the said monster after 2 generations due to the fact that parent monsters are also calculated in breeding. Then you do the same with the next powerful version of that monster to get an even more powerful version. Then you eventually end with the boss monster.

I might gently caress around with it a bit to see what sort of crazy poo poo I can get away with.

Edit: Looks like the demo doesn't let you synth higher than rank F monsters

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Sep 15, 2023

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

KingSlime posted:

Only played it for a few mins but maaaan I think the game is gonna own. Very much direct sequel to the 3ds games vibes which is excellent

My only two pet peeves are that performance in the overworld could/should be smoother, and I'm so tired of hearing the same soundtrack over and over again!

I don't expect any new music at all and will enjoy the game just fine as long as it includes a ton of songs from all the dragon quest games but would it kill them to make an original song or two? Also I wonder if they are going to vary up the battle themes in normal encounters because it would be pretty boring if it's just the dragon quest 4 battle theme the entire game

The unique overworld song from the og dragon quest monsters is probably one of the best songs in the entire franchise in my opinion

The game has yet to be freed from the cold, lifeless clutches of Sugiyama. How many more must die?

Demo seems cool, standard monsters bullshit. Looks like they changed the + system into colored circles and portrait boarders or something, which is a little confusing because you don't see how far between values a monster is; the old system had power-level breaks at +1, +25, +50, +99 IIRC; the new system is either completely revamped, or uses a different colored dot/portrait boarder to designate certain values, but if it is just 1 for 1 the same as the old system, you can't tell if a monster is like +33 for example.

It is a bit annoying how limited the demo is in that you can't make monsters past F rank. If you truly wanted to grind out something in the demo, you could probably go for higher skill trees by resynthng the same monster over and over, slowly raising a skill until it caps and upgrades. That is a lot of work early game, though.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

serefin99 posted:

If you can't synthesize anything past rank F, you won't keep your levels or skillsets, and you can't even try to get one of the 'minibosses' stalking the early areas, it kinda makes me wonder why they would even bother letting the demo progress carry over.

I think you can get the mini bosses, you just have to beat them before you can scout them. Of course, this is what the game itself said, it didn't give any mention to if the scouting was locked out (once you beat the monster) of the demo version.

It should be very possible to beat them with a team of G and F monsters. You'd just need level 15+ monsters that have been synthed 4 or 5 times over and it shouldn't be too hard. That's still probably a couple of hours of grinding i'd rather not do if I can't really keep monsters from the demo in the full version.

You could probably also use a strat of high defense monsters with buff spells and do it without much trouble.

edit: referenced some Japanese streamers playing. You can't scout the mini-bosses even after you beat them in the demo. So there is no real reason to try other than to challenge yourself.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Sep 16, 2023

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Evil Fluffy posted:

At the start of the demo, not-Watabou mentioned that monsters will sometimes off to join you after the fight ends. Has anyone actually seen this happen in the demo yet? Because I've killed a lot of poo poo and never saw it happen.

Yeah, I had it happen probably 5 or 6 times in the 4 hours I played the demo for. Makes me wonder if you can get one of the minibosses to join you in that manner, since scout is disabled.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yeah maybe an hour after I posted I went in the game to mess around some more and had 2 enemies offer to join.

It seems like the green dragon is easier to hit with Whack than the cyclops, or I've just been getting lucky. It's also about 2k xp so I imagine the right team could grind out a bunch of xp on it, not that there's much point to it unless you want to clear as many arena ranks as demo allows for.

I cleared all of the arenas with like level 10ish monsters that had been synthed 2 or 3 times. They aren't really tough at all

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Evil Fluffy posted:

After playing the DQM3 demo I made the mistake of firing up Joker 3 professional and goddamn there is a lot to that game (over 700 monsters while I think DQM3 will be around 500). I bought and played through Joker 3 a few years ago but professional apparently adds more store, a shitload of additional monsters that I can't get without directly hacking them in, including several characters from Dragon Quest Dai because the game and anime had a collab apparently.

I'm annoyed that the DQM3 DLC includes a dungeon mechanic that the DQM2 3D remake had, where you could run a dungeon to target monsters you already befriended, because it is an insanely good time-saver and something I'll buy because it saves you so much time and synth repetition.

And it'll have areas where you only encounter large or small sized monsters which seems like a godsend because I' tried to find large monsters in the demo in the 2nd area and gave up after an hour of finding none (lots of extremely large "small" monsters though).

I think it's supposed to be a combination of Strike and Slash as well?

Mole Hole (which is DLC for DQM3 apparently) is also a joker 3 pro post-game daily dungeon. Definitely feels like they are version-upping the last DQM game which is a good thing generally. I just wonder why it took them almost 8 years to do it.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Evil Fluffy posted:

The 8 year gap is probably due in part to them turning their prior DQM game into DQ Treasures.

Mole Hole better not be daily in DQM3 since it's :10bux: and not just part of the game. I think it was farmable in DQM2 3D as well but I haven't played that for a while so I might be mistaken.

It's still kinda weird when Treasures only came out last year. There should have been a Switch DQM game in either 2018 or 2019, which is before the cycle was even disrupted by Covid. I guess there was some sort of reluctance or hardship working with the Switch out of the gate.

I just looked up what the Mole Hole actually is, and it seems like it has a different function than it did in j3 pro, which was a dungeon with mole monsters (and bosses) that changed abilities and stats every day. DQM2 had the maps that let you re-scout monsters, and j3 pro let you instantly clone monsters you scouted or fused at least once using wi-fi battle reward tokens.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I've mentioned it before, ITT. I was part of the team that did the Joker 3 patch. The idea was to NOT release the Joker 3 patch and only release the pro patch, however the head programmer/hacker/project leader basically got stumped by a few things that were causing issue with the patch, like character lengths and line breaks. Since he couldn't figure it out, he gave up when pro was about 90% done and just released the vanilla Joker 3 patch a year or so later than the planned release of pro. I offered to finish the remaining work on pro if he would make test patches for me, to which he agreed, but some egregious amount of time passed (like over a year, possibly almost two years) and he still wasn't doing anything for me, so I just leaked the raw files that some random person merged with a machine translation of pro 3.

So in short, if you play the pro 3 patch, it should be fully playable but will have some jank to it; there was never an editing pass to fix the raw story text (which was the extra work I offered to do but never got around to due to lack of cooperation) which was translated by a native speaker who wasn't the best at English. My specific role was handing monster/item names, descriptions, spell and ability descriptions, etc since I actually knew the game from playing it Japanese and could clarify things rather than simply translating them, and there might be some inconsistencies from when it was merged with the machine translation on this front. For the most part, it should use localized names where available and names I came up with for other things based off how I would localize them. Not sure what damage was done by multiple people screwing around and changing things they shouldn't have, but hey, you can play the game and probably make sense of most of it, and that's what matters!

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

serefin99 posted:

The 1 and 2 remakes actually came out after Joker 3 and Joker 3 Pro, if you wanna play the newest ones.

No, Joker 3 and Joker 3 pro are the newest games in the series prior to the Switch game coming in Dec. DQM 1 came out before 3DS XLs did, DQM 2 came out sometime in the first half of the 2010s, and Joker 3/pro came out around the time the Switch did.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Fun fact, at one point DQ3 on the SFC was the most speedran game in the world, mainly because of hundreds and hundreds of Japanese players who would make a long-term hobby out of speedrunning it. It also wasn't very competitive at all; the top runs were wayyyyyyyyyy ahead by several minutes of other runs for years straight due to RNG. There is a lot in the run that you can't really control, so it was really a wildcard of a run. It also has really fast menuing that takes a lot of skill.

Not sure how it is these days, but i'm sure there are other games that have more runners due to being world-wide friendly.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Yeah, there's like only a few useful spells in DQ3. Bikilt, healing spells in whatever denomination, and CC. End game, you have most of those from usable items in combat, so having multiple sages isn't really THAT great. One is prob enough, with other party members using item spam/sometimes attacking and the MC doing the majority of the damage with regular attacks. It's actually like this in most old DQ games, even through SFC. On use items are bullshit powerful.

Edit: also, you'd only need two jesters if you wanted 3 sages because you get one sage item anyways.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Oct 13, 2023

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
A COUPLE MORE DAYS THREAD TIL GOTY 2023

I've already began to call every store in town trying to figure out which will break street date, so I can get to work on breeding 32 slimes with 32 Drakees.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
It's as good as other monsters games so far. I am just spending many many hours synthing OP stuff making my way up the tree without advancing too far.

The complaint I have, which isn't even a new one, is I wish they would stop loving lying about the scout chance. It's ok if monsters are hardish to scout, but don't tell me it's a 25% chance only to have me fail like 14 times in a row before getting it. It's clear the actual success rate is maybe around half of the value it claims.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Naw, it's the way DQM games have worked for a very long time. It's the norm to miss a scout that is "25%" closer to 8 times in a row rather than 4 times.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I think it's barely even a criticism at this point. Especially for a RPG.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ImpAtom posted:

Review copies went out really late for some reason. I don't think it's to hide that it is a Secretly Awful Game (it seems fun from what I've played so far but I haven't had a lot of time to invest into it today) but just one of those weird ones.

As someone who likes to call like 4 or 5 different places to break street date on games, no one even had it in until like yesterday afternoon. I guess in general, it just went out really late.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Evil Fluffy posted:

I ran my team through the flashfire tournament thing last night and went 7-23 because 20 of those 23 losses were against teams with a bunch of A and S rank stuff with HP in the 700-1800 range. One team even had Dragonlord's True Form already. Either some of those Japanese players got their hands on the game early or they just tore rear end through the game ignoring the story while knowing exactly what to scout/synth, when, and where.

Game is a bunch of fun, though it seems like there's no monster trading with other players? Which seems insane but maybe they figure people would hand out tons of S rank boss types via Mole Hole farming or something. Or maybe trading just hasn't existed in the series for ages and I never noticed.

Something weird I noticed too is that the 8 monsters I brought over from the demo were gaining considerably fewer skill points when leveling, however after I synthed them with other monsters the new monsters seem to be gaining significantly more skill points than normal which let me make Deep Breather and get it up to 100 skill points extremely fast on my Drak Slime and said Drak Slime is doing exactly what you'd expect a monster with access to 100-150 aoe to do in the early game (only just finished the 4th area before bed) and before hitting level 20. Also cleared up to rank D in the arena fights (just like in the demo) with that firepower and barely lost the final fight in rank D when I tried it. I guess a team of level 15-18 F rank monsters trying to play Rocket Tag hit its limit. For now... :black101:

I managed to scout a (dupe) Large hunter mech with a 14% chance in the Mole Hole and failed to scout a frog on 74%, 70%, and 67% chances. RNG gonna RNG. Mole hole being paid DLC is annoying and stuff seems artificially harder to catch in it but the time saving it provides is easily worth a few bucks.

It sucks that you can't use meat on stuff like the cyclops and green dragon or scout them at all. Though they can apparently offer to join you after the fight like other enemies but gently caress that. I've already made some D rank stuff because the Meowgician I had was able to be synth'd with something else to make a D rank silverancius or whatever that app demon thing is called.

I'm noticing now, it might have scum protection. I'm averaging like 300-400 total percent when I try to scum something with title screen resets.

Also, yeah, it looks like a lot of Japanese players got quite a head start since it unlocked there almost a full day's worth early. I was only able to go 10 win/20 losses after playing almost marathon since it unlocked on our side of things. I've only got 3 A ranks so far, including Dragonlord's human form.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 2, 2023

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
For people wondering how to advance in synthing earlier on, what you need to do is basically start off by synthing everything you have with everything else to increase the number of monsters in your encyclopedia.

Use reverse search, and select No for possible combinations. It can show you what monsters you need to advance to a higher rank, providing you've scouted them before. Jumping from D to C is easy, C to B is harder and might require some specific combinations, but once you get a B monster you can fuse it with random things to create other B monsters. A almost always results from specific fusions, so you just need to use reverse search at that point and hope you have the ingredients to a match in your encyclopedia.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Zore posted:

Some more thoughts about DQM 3

1) Not really liking the new size system. I really enjoyed how it worked in Joker 3 and this feels like a weird RNG step back, especially with how obnoxiously it is to get L monsters natively until you learn the hidden mechanics. Still though having a giant sabrecub is really cute and funny so :shrug:

2) They locked a lot of iconic monsters behind incredibly specific and long fusion chains. And not like endgame monsters, like Slime Knights are rank F and require a full on special breeding chain to get which feels excessive. Most of them are callbacks to older games but trying to puzzle out what exactly you're missing to be able to fill out your monsterpedia is tough as hell if you're not using one of the Japanese wikis.

3) The seasons are obnoxious and take just slllllightly too long to cycle though which can make farming for fusion fodder annoying.

Otherwise I really, really like this game and think its probably the best or second best Monster's title I've played. I've sunk like 15 hours in and got super distracted filling out the monsterpedia (and have managed to complete... e and almost f at this point :shepicide:).

Well, for lower rank stuff like up to D or so, you CAN find a special chain or 4 monster fusion to get something like a Slime Knight. But you can also scout them in the wild, or (probably) end up down-fusing a higher monster into one. It's supposed to feel progressively harder and harder to jump up ranks, without finding very specific combinations.

It's really when you get to B+ rank monsters where you are required to do special fuses in order to find stuff. You really just have to sus out the combinations with reverse search if you aren't using a guide. That's the way it has been since the 3DS games.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Up to about 75% encyclopedia complete, observations:

They seem very reluctant to include a lot of monsters from games that a global audience would be unfamiliar with; Most DQX stuff and reincarnation monsters are gone. Not far enough to know how much 3DS series main character stuff is missing, but it seems likely most will be missing.

The game is WAY tuned-down from most of the 3DS series. I thought this would be the case with the inclusion of only two monster sizes rather than the five that existed previously, but a lot of abilities and traits are missing as well. The monster plus system that lets you raise the rank of weaker monsters is gone, unless it locks post game. GPs are gone in favor of the quick 30x battle.

Monsters games always scratch that itch, but many of these things are pretty disappointing to me. I wonder if they maybe wanted to severely simplify and streamline this to introduce it to the global audience, while planning to re-complexify it in a professional edition a year or two from now.

Also, i'm still pretty certain that there is some hidden formula applied to the percentage chance you see in the upper right corner when you scout monsters in some cases. It might be some scum protection to prevent you from reloading a save when you fail a scout, but there's no doubt it is there. The number of times i've been stuck for like 15 or 20 minutes trying to scout something with around base 15% or so and ending up having to reset 20+ times is insane compared to the number of times I got lucky and snagged it in a couple. This is making it take way longer than it should to fill in the whole encyclopedia.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Be advised if you are trying to synth everything, there are a number of monsters you can only get from eggs that appear at various points in synth trees for specific monsters. The ones i've found so far:

Float-o-Copier (E rank) - silver egg
Kandatar / Robbin 'ood - gold egg
Kingleo - gold egg

I'm sure there are more.

also, gold egg and rainbow egg monsters tend to have really advanced skill trees by default that usually require combining many different skills to get. Still trying to find a good way to grind eggs, but it appears that you can find a route, fight a bunch of battles to reset it, teleport to a different area, save, then go back to your route and just reset if you get eggs you don't want.

edit: one more,

Lionneck (don't know english name) - gold egg

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 5, 2023

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Deki posted:

I've only found white eggs :(

e: The king slick slime in the third food world is really goddamn tanky, I might be in trouble if it's weaker than the boss

They are all white until you open them. I think the highest color of egg you can find corresponds to how far in the story you are.

You can only find normal and silver at first, then at some point you can find gold, and when you've unlocked all areas you can find rainbow.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Found some more egg-only monsters. The ones mentioned before are tied to S and X rank monster fusions, but these ones just seem to be random junk monsters.

A C rank Dragon Dog
An E rank Glowing Bulb

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Finally got Kingleo from an egg, it was actually a rainbow egg.

Also went through the list of egg only monsters on JP wikis, the total amounts to (with a mix of correct names and incorrect names, I get so confused going between JP names and localized names):
Whtie Egg: Ethereal Serpent
Silver Egg: Luminous Lampling, Float-o-Copier, Pirhana monster, Tree Feller, Toad Cannon monster, Saro's Minion dude from DQ4 ch1
Gold Egg: Don Mogu, Kandatar/Robbin 'ood, Lionnex
Rainbow Egg: Kingleo/Marquis de Leon

There are still a few more, the silver eggs are loaded with random poo poo. Kinda annoying to farm, you have to set up a loop in an upper-level map and reset for hours to get 'em all. The important ones that you absolutely need to get to fuse boss monsters are Kandatar/Robbin 'ood, Lionnex, and Kingleo.

edit: yeah, there are more. I'll update later

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 6, 2023

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Obtained all possible monsters (except for the McDonalds ones)
Finished all content
Went 30/30 in quick matches.

Go team

My verdict:

I am a sucker for this series as well as DQ in general, so I will generally play games it in obsessively, and this game was no exception. However, I do think this version in particular is very disappointing. The number of basic features that have been a part of the series since Terry on 3DS are gone. To name a few: Changing sizes on synth, multiple monster sizes (down from 5 to 2), easier ways to hold completed skills, mixing and matching passive abilities, individual monster rank progression (via the + and star system), and more. Because a lot of this stuff is missing, I feel like I am probably done with the game, and won't bother trying to make cool monsters or participate in the ranked battles; it all just seems too limited, and the meta doesn't seem like it could possibly go anywhere.

We have worse randomly generated content for farming accessories/monsters/etc than previous games with the "DLC" that was just basic mismatched and shittier versions of game features in DQM2 and Joker 3. The post game is very obviously unfinished, as much of the rest of the game feels considering what is missing. There should be between 200 and 400 additional monsters to the 500~ that are in the game, which is less than Joker 3 Vanilla by a slight margin and less than DQM2 and Joker 3 Pro by many hundreds, with the possible additions added to the DQ universe in DQX and XI since Joker 3 Pro's release adding potential for at least 100-200 more. The multiple weekly GPs were replaced with the quick matches, which would be an interesting addition to the game if they weren't REPLACING a key competitive feature.

They didn't even add THIS game's own exclusive specific story monsters, such as characters and bosses. Usually you can't necessarily fuse all of the endgame bosses and end-of-the-chain stuff until a few weeks or months after release due to missing monsters that need to be released via timed events or DLC, but with how incomplete this game feels, I'm a little worried that DLC updates won't even come in the next weeks or months to add those monsters to the game. We might just have to wait til a Pro version of this, or whatever is next comes around.

The sum of it all is that this is a downgrade in almost every conceivable way. I rate it Ordinary Slime/10

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Wizard Whateley posted:

This is my first DQM game and you seem to know your way around the series. What's the deal with the rank g monsters at the top of your roster? Do higher ranks not matter much? What kind of breeding shenanigans went into you creating them that they took you to the endgame?

I've only unlocked rank E monsters so far and have no idea how stats scale across ranks, etc...

Any monster is viable in some capacity, it's just the higher rank ones tend to come with better talents and are better out of the gate. The stat caps themselves are all so high that you won't reach them until you've hit level 100 and resynthed many times or used a lot of seeds, so it isn't as much that I took them to the endgame as that I rescouted low rank monsters and gave them really good abilities when I was already at the endgame. All of those G-rank monsters have stuff like Attack Up 4, Agility Up 4, etc. That specifically is a team that is used for PVP that has one monster that tanks all the damage and debuffs when it dies, one monster that heals and disrupts enemies, and one huge physical attacker.

Lower ranked monsters used to be even more viable in the previous games because they would actually go up in rank as you synth them more and more, and you could transfer passive abilities. This time around, you can't transfer the passives but you unlock them as monsters level up, so you need to be like level 50 on a monster before it even reaches its full potential.

Nihilarian posted:

What's the best DQM other than the new one?

DQM2 had the most insanely diverse PVP meta. Joker 3 Pro was the best overall but a little bit more limited in the types of comps you would see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I think sizes in the previous games are kinda hard to understand for most people, based on how I see people talk about them via various outlets.

Like even people who played Joker3 or DQM2 for hundreds of hours didn't even know that there are 5 sizes rather than 4. The game in general has been balanced pretty well to make teams that include every size viable, but some will seem OP to the extent of "why should I bother using X when I can just make Y" to the player who hasn't very thoroughly learned everything about the game yet.

To be fair though, part of that balance was also based on the way PVP worked in general. In GPs, you had frequency lists that awarded less points for using more popular monsters and more points for using the least popular monsters, so you would need to basically make really good use of less-common monsters. Which again, was way easier in those games since you could synth passive abilities over to make the perfect combination of synergy, and you could rank up your G rank monsters to SS+ rank. There were also a lot of skills and abilities that hosed with global-scale battle conditions, like making it so physical attacks couldn't be used, or making it so all healing does damage instead, or making it so all monsters acted in reverse turn order. In the ranked matches, you had access to your full set of active team and reserves, so you could either have two teams with very different strategies, or just (up to) 8 monsters to 'sideboard' the best version of one strategy.

They really streamlined the gently caress out of this version of the game, and I think 90% of that streamlining is way for the worse.