Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
9 is probably one of the weakest in the series. It's not terrible or anything but it lacked the charm of the older games in my opinion. Other than the last couple of bosses, it was way too easy too. If I were you I'd probably suggest playing DQ5 next. If you like that too, then check out 4 and 6 on the DS. If you still want more, play whatever. I wouldn't recommend the first two unless you play all the others and still want more, I still enjoy them from time to time but I can understand that they're not very accessible by today's standards. 3 is probably the best in the series but again accessibility is an issue. It's not been remade for anything newer than the GBC so it still plays very much like an NES game, whereas the remakes all play more like a PS2 game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

thetrin posted:

Wow, that is the exact opposite of how I would rate them.

DQV is easily the best in the series, by a huge margin. How anyone could disagree with that blows my mind.

(People who think 3 is the best are a-okay in my book)

When I make my list, I generally just leave 5 and 6 out. I've played 5 twice now, but I never played it until a few years ago so I haven't really had a chance to look at it from a long-term point of view as I have the rest of the games. It's definitely a contender for the best in the series.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Did anyone here like 2? I tried to like it but I wasn't really having much fun with it and by the time I got to the last few dungeons (it was in some kind of cavern I think), I just gave up. gently caress that dungeon.

I quite liked 2, but I understand why others don't. I basically learned to read playing DW1 and loved it to death, so when I read in Nintendo Power that you controlled three characters and the world was 4 times as large as the first game, I almost died of anticipation.

No other game has really made me feel like I was exploring a big world like DW2, especially when you got the loving boat and the whole world was just open to you. I understand why a lot of people got annoyed with how hard it was to find stuff, but that was kind of the point. You really needed to travel around the world and actually talk to people, instead of just being led by the nose from plot point to plot point. It was also pretty respectably difficult too, especially the Cave to Rhone, but I finished it legitly as an 8 year old and I've played it again in the last 5 years, so I don't think it was that bad.

It was also miles and miles ahead of Final Fantasy, which was really the only game that was comparable at the time.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

That reminds me of my most hated feature of DQIX - the endless puns. Just because a pun is funny sometimes doesn't mean it will be funny if the name of basically every character and location is a pun of some sort.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

I figured it's probably Golden Sun at 10 am, not DQVI. But maybe joystiq knows something we don't.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

LooseChanj posted:

Now I remember what pissed me off so much about DWII: "run away" only worked about 1 out of a hundred loving times. :bang:

We're all going to make fun of you for ever using the run away command. Actually though, I have tried to use it from time to time and it's been pretty bad in almost every DQ game, including when I tried to use it when I accidentally wandered into somewhere high level in VI yesterday. I like that though, it means that your party is potentially in danger if you screw up.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

I hoard them and never use them. Seriously, I don't think I've ever used one before even though I know it's pointless not to. That's how you identify someone who grew up playing RPGs in the 80's and 90's, we can't bring ourselves to use any items that can't be bought at an item store.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

I've just gotten the ability to use the ship underwater and I have to say that I've been getting a DQ2 vibe from this game since getting the ships in each world. I've been really confused about exactly where to go, and have just been exploring both worlds a bit and picking up clues. It was getting kind of irritating until I figured out kind of where I should be, but it's nice to see that element of old DQ design again.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

My standard recommendation for starting point would probably be 4 on the DS. Then you can play 5, 6, and 8 and really appreciate them. If you play 9 first, it might be harder to go back to the less slick interface of the older games.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

The first trilogy is the only trilogy. It's totally worth playing 1, then 2, then 3, but whenever I post a positive opinion about an NES era game it usually leads to an argument with a bunch of people who think that nothing made before they were born could possibly be good, so I usually don't bother. Even the first (and worst) DQ is still charming in its simplicity, with its "Thou Hast Advanced to Thy next level!" olde English and cliche story, but it's not for everybody.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Captain Vittles posted:

4,5,6 is also a trilogy.

But yeah, Chronojam, play the original trilogy first. Starting with DQ9 will kinda ruin the experience for you. If going back to NES-era games really doesn't float your boat, then play the DS remakes first, but you're really missing out if you don't play the original trilogy.

I haven't finished 6 yet so maybe there's something to tie it all together that I haven't seen, but I'd hardly call 4, 5, and 6 a trilogy. I know there's a theme with the sky castle, but the worlds don't seem directly connected otherwise, and certainly not in the same sense as the first trilogy.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Walking in a straight line, pressing X once every couple of minutes, and watching more cutscenes than there are battles isn't everyone's idea of fun. Nor is playing games full of whiny emo shitheads and pretentious storylines that read like they were written by a 15 year old who just graduated from tween to young adult books.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

I think that's a bit of a stretch. Dragon Quest has a lot of freedom at certain points in the story where you can just wander the world and see what you find. There are still artificial barriers in place, but you are given a high degree of freedom compared to any game that isn't a PC RPG. And the boss battles (and even normal battles, if you aren't over-leveled) are far more complicated than pounding X repeatedly. In the case of Final Fantasy 13, they've managed to create probably the world's first corridor RPG, and short of occasionally switching paradigms, the game essentially plays itself as long as you hit X often enough.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Yeah, Nestalgia was pretty much custom made for old DQ players. That said, I found it a chore to play. You can't do poo poo without joining up with other players, I don't think you can even get past the first town alone. Fair enough, it's an online game after all, but I hate depending on other players. It's probably worth playing to scratch the DQ itch if you've played every single DQ game and still want more.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Ghost of Orbo posted:

I grew up on Final Fantasy, and up until 15 minutes ago, I had never played any Dragon Quest games.

Currently killing slimes in DQ 4. This feels weird, but I played the poo poo out of Earthbound so at least there's some sort of familiarity.

Are these games as difficult as everyone says? That's kind of what I'm looking for.

If you're used to Final Fantasy games then it might seem difficult. You actually have to strategize a bit and not just spam your most powerful attack/spell/limit break over and over again. Buffs and debuffs are really important against bosses. Status spells like sleep, dazzle, etc. are extremely powerful against any non-boss enemy that seems too tough.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Not losing your progress when you die is such a great feature, I don't know why so few RPGs follow that model even today. I've reached the point where if I die in an RPG and lose more than about 10 minutes of progress, I turn it off and never go back.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

What I do when I find myself interested in an old series is to start from the beginning, and give each game a few minutes to see if I can handle it or not. I think all of the DQ games are still pretty playable today, but I'm sure there are people out there who would say the same thing about the first Wizardry game from 1981, so it's all a matter of perspective.

Really, any of the DS remakes or DQ8 on the PS2 should be modern enough for most people to enjoy them. DQ9 represented the biggest change in the mechanics of the games of the entire series, so you might find any of the older games a bit rough around the edges by comparison.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

I felt like DQ6 was very confusing in the mid-late game, and I'm one of the few people who still stands up for DQ2 on occasion. I do think it's kind of cool that there are tons of places that I never even visited in the game (Never found Poseidon, I just stumbled on Gracos while randomly exploring) but there were too many really tough bosses at random points in the game, and the last boss was probably the most frustrating out of the entire series. I also didn't like the job system, it was a pretty big downgrade from DQ3 if you ask me.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

I got irritated by the end of DQ6 where I had dozens of abilities on every character and had no idea what most of them did, and most of them were useless. A system like DQ3 but with more character classes and more viable party compositions would be perfect for me.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

How in the hell is the Wii being on "life support" at all relevant? Are people going to refuse to play DQ on the Wii that they already own because there aren't other games coming out for it?

Also, we don't know for sure that they're being secretive about what platform DQX is coming out on, because for all we know this might be some crappy spin-off title that they're being coy about.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This is like the worst possible twist I could have imagined. Especially the bit where they're releasing it for the Wii and then releasing another version of the same game for the Wii U but at a later date, and I assume that will be the "definitive" version and include a bunch of poo poo that the first one won't. And a loving MMO on the Wii, that's just an inexcusably bad idea. I never thought the day would come when I didn't pre-order a DQ game, but I definitely won't be buying this until some time has passed and reviews are out.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Terpfen posted:

I'm questioning how Nintendo of America will, from a PR standpoint, go from "We're not releasing these Wii JRPGs in the US and we really don't care how badly you want them" to "Hey, check out this awesome Wii JRPG we're releasing here!"

PR for the tiny percentage of people who gave a poo poo about any of those games? I can't really hold it against Nintendo considering that each and every one of those games would have been a complete flop in the US, probably even most of the people who signed the online petition wouldn't have even bought any of the games.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Terpfen posted:

If he doesn't hate RPGs (or, for the sake of argument, "niche" games in general), he's certainly done a good job of cultivating an image to the contrary, beginning with but nowhere near limited to the Mother 3 debacle. No Another Code R, no Fatal Frame 4, no Disaster: Day of Crisis, no EarthBound on VC, no Mother 1+2… I'm just scratching the surface. And Nintendo has curiously declined to expand their Dragon Quest publishing tactic of bringing out games that other publishers might decline, such as Ace Attorney Investigations 2.

Are you picturing Reggie sitting in an EVIL tower twirling his mustache and laughing maniacally as he prevents another RPG from being published, or what? As much as I hate this justification sometimes, it's a business and business don't generally set out to lose money. None of those games would have sold well over here, especially not on the Wii, and anyone who knows anything at all about the games industry knows that. Operation Rainfall (I feel lame just typing that, loving nerds) had what, 10k signatures or so? That's significantly less than 1/10th of 1% of total Wii owners. You seem to be casting it as this gigantic uprising of unhappy Nintendo customers when it was clearly an extremely loud minority.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

ConanThe3rd posted:

You give Reggie far too much credit, at this point, he is the right hand that doesn't know anything, let alone what the left (NCL) is doing whilst being being kicked sore by the foot (NOE).

You know a good way of losing money? Not selling games (That's you making no Money) and then pissing off the same audience you're trying to get again after short shifting them for a causal audience who, on average, has one game for their Wii Fit/Sports/Dance machine and will probably not follow onto buying the next Wii.
The percentage of project rainfall signatories might be small, but if you take away the One Game Wonders who will not (at this point, for all I know there will be a casual supergame that will pull them in) buy a Wii U and that percentage suddenly gets a lot bigger.

Xenoblade sold perfectly fine (and, more to the point Sold Out, as far as I'm aware. Suggesting an Atlus Low Print Run, the Right strategy for this situation) in Europe and the only loss Nintendo of America are making at this point is in the far more precious commonalty known as PR.

Right, but the "hardcore gamers" that buy lots of games that you're suggesting Nintendo should be courting are not buying Japanese games. They're buying Halo, Madden, Call of Duty, and other poo poo like that. Japanese games and especially JRPGs are pure niche now. Look at the big sellers on any platform in the US and other than first-party Nintendo games and huge names like Final Fantasy, they're almost all western games about shooting people or sports.

Basically, people like us (that is, the kind of people who would be reading a Dragon Quest thread) are a niche audience now. Sometimes members of a niche audience overestimate their own relevance. The fact that less than 10k people signed an internet petition for more RPGs on the Wii should make that pretty drat clear, considering how easy it is to get huge numbers of people to sign internet petitions.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Roll call?

1 - 9: Beat them all, whenever they first came out in the US. With the exception of 3 which I played up to Zoma when it came out but never beat until sometime in the mid to late 90's, and 5 which I emulated before it came out in the US.

It just occurred to me this is probably the only long-lived series where I've finished every entry, except Mario maybe. I could have said the same about Metroid and Zelda, but both of them had recent entries that were so lovely that I can no longer make that claim.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

I hated that loving game, but then again I had no idea what a Mystery Dungeon game was at the time. I don't suppose anyone in the USA really had any idea what to expect, which is probably why it got so poor reviews. To be honest though, I've played a lot of rogue-likes since then and enjoy the genre a lot but I still hate Mystery Dungeon games.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Eggie posted:

All this talk of Dragon Quest V makes me realize how much I'd rather play that than VII.

But no. I must finish this game to honour my love for Dragon Quest, even if the island-by-island plot progression is boring as gently caress.

Of all the complaints I could make about DQ7, the plot progression is definitely not one of them. It's one of the things that the game really got right.

Marogareh posted:

I bought IX on a whim since my DS was starving for affection and it's made me into an instant fan. This pretty much made me get IV-VI on impulse and get VIII later down the line. Also is there any reason why in IV magic that hits groups sometimes does jack all except for one or two enemies? It's loving maddening when you have some mid tier magic and you can't even scratch one guy yet the other gently caress next to him gets hit.

Magic spells have a chance to miss just like attacks. Makes the magic users a little bit less overpowered.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Himuro posted:

I also love it when you run into some monsters and Jessica has charmed them just by entering battle. Seeing a drooling, mesmerized monster never stops being funny and I hate killing them.

If VIII had faster battles on par with the rest of the series, and an instant alchemy pot like in IX, it'd easily be the best game in the series, by my estimation. But for many reasons, it's my favorite DQ.

Yeah DQ 8 is amazing. The level of excitement I was feeling before it was released was so high that it should have been impossible to live up to, but somehow it still managed to impress me.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Captain Vittles posted:

:corsair: You know, a lot of people finished that game without cheating back in the days before ubiquitous internet. It's not impossible, it's just a real loving slog. But it's a fun slog... except for the Cave to Rhone. gently caress that cave.

There was a map that came with the game that helped a lot. I assume I also got some help from Nintendo Power, otherwise I have no loving idea how I managed to finish it at 9 years old.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Himuro posted:

I'm sorry to bring out the :spergin: lists but anyone who complains about lack of jrpgs this gen needs to expand their horizons and badly.

If you want jrpgs you buy a ds/psp. It's that simple.

There have been a lot of jrpgs on PSP and DS this generation, but most of the games you listed (and a lot of the ones you didn't) ranged from mediocre to lovely. There has definitely been a lack of really good jrpgs since the PS2.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

I haven't played Ys 7, Knights in the Nightmare, or Legend of Heroes. Of the rest of that list, the SMT games, DQ games, Tactics Ogre, FFT A2, and Etrian Odyssey were all good. Jeanne D'Arc was too much baby's first SPRG for my tastes, but it was still a good game. The rest were mediocre at best. The PSP is definitely the king of jRPGs this generation but most of them were ports or remakes.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Super Ninja Fish posted:

And Pokemon? What are we, 5?

There's nothing wrong with Pokemon games in general and I definitely wouldn't care that they're aimed at kids if they were good games. I just can't really give a poo poo about Black and White since every generation of Pokemon games is basically identical to the one that came before.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

I knew someone would say that, but I don't agree at all. DQ is a series that has stayed true to its roots over the years, but Pokemon is a series that hasn't changed at all over the years. Every single game consists of attempting to gather the gym badges, defeat the four champions, and stop Team Noun from doing whatever. I don't mind that the battle system and the method of gathering/upgrading Pokemon never changes, because those systems are perfectly fine. Every DQ game has a distinct storyline and has made a real attempt to be bigger and better than what came before it.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

ShadeofDante posted:

Looks like SOMEONE hasn't played Pokemon Black/White yet. :smug:

I went to Wikipedia just now to see if there was anything particularly amazing that Black/White did. Apparently now you can fight with 3 pokemon rather than two. Not exactly a mindblowing step forward for the series. Here's a bit from the plot synopsis:

quote:

The protagonist of Pokémon Black and White is a teenager who sets out on a journey through Unova to become the Pokémon master. At the beginning of the games, the player chooses either Snivy, Tepig, or Oshawott as their first Pokémon as a gift from Professor Juniper. The protagonist's friends, Cheren and Bianca, are also rivals and are Pokémon Trainers who occasionally battle the player. The player's primary goal is to obtain the eight Gym Badges of Unova and ultimately challenge the Elite Four of the Pokémon League, and its Champion, to win the game. In addition to the standard gameplay, the player will also have to defeat the games' main antagonist Team Plasma,

I think that kind of proves my point. If you switched out all of the proper nouns in that block of text, you could describe literally every Pokemon game ever made.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

That's true, if you have any interest in RPGs that aren't just 40 hour long cutscenes you should definitely know better than to listen to reviews. I don't agree with Himuro about Shiren, I didn't like it because I've played a lot of PC roguelikes and felt that even the worst and simplest of them had more to offer than any of the Mystery Dungeon games. But the reviewers who gave it low scores didn't do so because of that, they did so because it wasn't Final Fantasy, there weren't enough cutscenes, it was different from what they expected and they weren't willing to give it a chance. Niche titles are consistently underrated by reviewers, while mainstream titles are consistently overrated.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

voltron lion force posted:

That's cool... but I thought everyone always said 7 sucks?

It's got flaws for sure, but it's definitely my favorite game in the series. I've only played all the way through once though, because it's a massive time investment.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

IX is the biggest departure from the formula of any game in the series and it's definitely my least favorite DQ game, but it's still a good game by any measure. I would suggest just ignoring the post-game content unless you're into MMO style grinding for bigger numbers.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Potsticker posted:

IX is almost exactly just III but in 3D, so I don't understand how you can call it "the biggest departure from the formula." A single important character designed by the player, given backstory by the plot joins with three other player generated characters to have a world-spanning advenuture.

More characters can be generated at the player's leisure as well. After the Temple of Dharma, characters can be changed into other classes, but retain skills from previous classes. Combat is turn-based and monsters in combat are grouped by type, allowing some attacks to hit every enemy in a group, but not necessarily in the same party.

I think it's an exaggeration to say that just because it had a class system and player generated characters that it's exactly the same as DQIII. There was definitely some Final Fantasy influence in terms of linearity, world design, and how the storyline was laid out compared to the older DQ games. I haven't played it since it originally came out so maybe I'm way off the mark, this is just how I recall feeling when I first played it.

I wasn't thinking of DQX when I said that either, because I live in the US and DQX is probably never going to be released here and I tend to forget it even exists.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

DQ 8 took me at least 60 hours, I can't believe someone could actually finish that on an iOS device without wanting to tear their own arms off. Who keeps buying this poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Draile posted:

The original's big weakness is that it is brutally and unfairly hard, which is something that's easy to fix in a port.

The original DQ is remarkably easy for an RPG of that era. It's mostly grinding, but even the amount of grinding necessary in each area is light compared to most 80s or 90s RPGs.