Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

BottledBodhisvata posted:

gently caress that, I want the old man. What's his name, Melvin? He's a literal geriatric swordsman and I find that incredibly hilarious. I want to see him decimate a whole army.

I love in DQ7 that you go on a quest to find the Chosen Hero instead of the main character being the hero and then what the gently caress he's as old as time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

So no hero from DQ1 and nobody from DQ2?? I figured they'd have at least one character from one of those games.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

I'm only a few hours in but I'm kind of disappointed compared to Hyrule Warriors. That game was absolutely stuffed with characters and levels and content.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

DQ8 is awesome but it's the only one I can't go back and play because of the load times and stupidly long animations at the beginning of battles.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Crimson Harvest posted:

You know you can obviate DQ8's load times by popping the disc into your PC and playing it in PCSX2. There were a couple tweaks I had to learn about to make the menus/overlays look normal but it's not tricky or anything.

I'm running it with PCSX2 right now and mine looks nowhere near that good, even though I put the resolution up to 1920x1080. Anything else you've got going on to make it look so clear and reduce the jagginess?

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Oh, I didn't realize you have to configure the plugin separately from the main menu. Looks incredible, though I have to track down those text box changes now.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Dragon Quest 2 is a hosed up game and probably the one I'm least inclined to go back and play, but I will still defend it to the death. Playing it as a kid without the internet was an awesome experience and no other RPG I've played has come close to matching the sense of accomplishment and the sheer joy of discovery and exploration that I got from that game.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Apparently they're also pretty scummy and a lot of companies have been disavowing them so be careful.

Yeah, selling $60 games for $40 sure is scummy. I feel so bad for the multi billion dollar corporations who are suffering because of this.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

That's exactly the issue that those companies have with it. It's no different than textbook publishers getting mad because you can buy one of their books from India for $30 instead of paying them $200.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Decus posted:

GMG quite blatantly sells you keys they purchased with rubles or reals when the game in question is region free--or will use other weaker currencies when those are restricted, like taking advantage of euro tiers. How else do you think they're magically offering constant 25% off and what not while other retailers are not doing this? They're not even offering you a fraction of the discount they're actually getting via their potentially questionable supply that you could instead be potentially questionably tapping into directly yourself.

Still, at the end of the day if something is region free it's region free and I've never heard of a game switching after release (in a way that affects prior purchases) so thus any keys purchased will be safe and supported. Buying from GMG is basically just paying a middle man to do something kind of questionable for you, as risk mitigation or time saving.

edit: I should probably also note that, in theory, buying from GMG still isn't greatly hurting publishers and thus developers if that's a worry. In theory they'd limit the number of keys distributed to any weak currency region to a certain extent, so any losses from people cheating the system are manageable at worst. So yeah, it is hurting them in a fashion but it's their mistake if it's doing so to a fatal degree.

It's not my job to shop around and avoid good prices on games in order to protect the profits of multinational corporations. If I can buy a $60 game for $35 the day it releases on a legit site and never have a problem with any of my keys there's nothing questionable about it at all.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

I would prefer classic DQ spell names come back, and they can give me FIRE, FIRE2, FIRE3, etc. over Fire, Fira, Firaga while they're at it

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

loving finally! I was starting to worry that I wouldn't be able to get a physical copy.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Perfect Potato posted:

I'm liking the DQVII remake (JP) so far 50 hours in but it feels like they've neutered any sort of difficulty the original might have had. I remember the temple boss before you unlock job classes was a bit of a fucker to take down but here he just sort of fell over after a few turns and barely did any damage. But it's not like you really play these games for a challenge so whatever.

I actually do. Difficulty wise Dragon Quest games tend to be a good middle-ground between brutally hard SMT games and press button to win FF style games.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

GobiasIndustries posted:

My brother said that a good chunk of IX isn't available anymore because it requires the WiFi connection which has been shut down. Is that true?

It's a bunch of extra content which is essentially pointless and bad anyways

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Len posted:

Are all the boss fights as unfun as the golem?

Nope, the rest are way worse.

I actually thought the Golem was pretty fun myself, but the next two are terrible.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

I can't believe that there's been no real effort to make most of the DQ games available on modern systems, is the series not as popular as it used to be in Japan maybe? You'd think 8 would be available on the PS4 at the very least. I went to the DQ cafe in Tokyo last month and I was the only one there the entire time, but they just opened up a little theme park in Japan a couple years ago so there must still be a decent fan base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLsr5N4-mmU

New DQ Monsters coming this year! Starring Psaro from DQ4, it looks really good.