Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Listening to Dave on WOR break down the changes in finish for the Bayley/Alexa match was also amazing and kinda of shows whats wrong with WWE booking right now.

Edit: Also Dave and Bryan going into Sheamus while defending Jinder was also real great

SatoshiMiwa fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Listening to Bryan and Vinny tear apart Backlash has been more fun than the PPV

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Listening to this and it's a hard listen as covers some stuff I didn't know and I'm super angry at Vince cause of this.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

They still have yet to get Cole and O'Reilly, they're widely assumed to still get the Bucks and Omega eventually, I wouldn't count Ricochet out, etc

Basically the indies are going to stay getting plundered for a bit longer

Bucks/Omega will be very interesting as they are probably the only non-signed act that can probably dictate terms with the WWE in some fashion. I don't think the WWE would try to low ball them but if they come with an offer of a year in NXT and signing over all the rights to the Buck's gimmick? Yeah I can see them walking.

Also if WWE goes on another signing binge and doesn't cut talent (Bye all of 205 live except maybe 3 guys) they could be super screwed if the ratings keep falling and their TV rights money goes down.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

If talent costs ever threatened profitability they'd just fire a bunch of people. WWE pays such a tiny percentage of revenue that it's really hard for talent costs to do that. People get on UFC's case for the low (reports pegging it lower than it actually is) percentage of revenue paid to fighters, and it is low. WWE pays way less.

Yeah. if the TV deal goes south I expect they'll just cut NXT and a bunch of talent as well. They'd never let talent affect profits after all

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I wonder what the NXT talent pulls in on merchandise sales? Can't be close to main roster

For a lot of this new talent I wonder if they'll just end up in NXT and won't sniff the main roster just because they want NXT as a brand and other reasons. Also probably a way to keep talent costs way down too...

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

The story was insane enough, but when it got to the bit about Vince bringing it up himself at a Congressional hearing.... :stare:

Than hearing how the lawyers responded when Vince brought it up was even more crazy. Like they out right tried to play it down right to Vince's face and Vince still doubled down

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

LIJ is a sad imitation of the real Ingobernables who are much cooler and on more steroids.

So what your saying is Naito needs to trash Tanahashi's car?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

This weeks observer back issues has the Jumbo obit which is great, MSG drawing numbers which are fascinating (Luger Drew Well, lol Diesel) but perhaps the most prophetic/chilling bit is the throw away paragraph about ex NFL'ers and concussions.....

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Poor dave and 2017 has been a real bad year for Wrestling deaths

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

New Japan also doesn't need to schedule dud matches after great matches to give the crowd breathing room either even though the WWE still books cards that way

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The guy that keeps calling in wanting Arn and Braun to win shootfights is my new fav crazy caller

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Dave going into the NOAH/All Japan split and Motoko Baba on the latest WOR really makes me want to listen to a full podcast on the split and Motoko

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

WWE has a god shot of putting 3 matches on the WOR worst of the year with House of Horrors, Kendo stick on a poll and Punjabi Prison lol

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

They didn't build the Colossus of Rhodes but they did steal it, those alien bastards :mad:

Don't worry the second ref reversed the decision afterwards so the Colossus was still in the 4 Horseman's hands at the next TV tapings

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

After the UFC stuff today's Observer Radio was the return of G1 Dave which is always best Dave!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The UK belt is gonna end up like the WWF Light heavyweight belt in the 80's did. WWE will forget it until it appears on a New Japan show as part of some 8 belt massive championship

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Those UK deals seem worse over time but can't have Bate or Dunne work for Rev Pro or New Japan (God I want Dunne vs Suzuki, Elgin, or Okada)

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

How good a heel JR Ewing was.

I'd love an hour long show of Dave breaking down classic TV in wrestling Heel/Face terms actually

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Big Dave gave Elgin/Omega and Ibushi/Tanahashi 4 and 3/4 stars which means this G1 has to have the highest amount of 4 and 1/2 star or higher rated matches for a heavyweight tournament right?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Benne posted:

Was that the same guy who kept calling into WOL every day insisting that Braun Strowman could beat Lesnar in a shootfight? And was apparently serious about this argument?

It would be great if he was and kept that gimmick up forever. he was best WOL caller for awhile

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Tama Tonga's interview on WOR is remarkably profanity free so far (only one curse!)

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Having Dave go through the whole mess with the WWF/All Japan/new Japan super show is the stuff I live for on WOR

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Cameos galore in this weeks Being the Elite!

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/909518056254095360

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

WWE PPV Main event booking in 2017 in three acts

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Sometimes Dave fighting with people on Twitter can be a bit tiring, and than you have today where people argue that Indy/New Japan guys aren't draws like WWE guys and Dave lists of why Jim Londos would be the best based on drawing!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/VICESports/status/923986420301103104

Dave's been tweeting about this off and on since the Warrior belt presentation and is 100% right calling the WWE out on this.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The main event WWE guys make some of the best money out there, but Mid-card and NXT guys don't make near the amount of money good indy draws do right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

rovert posted:

Lower card WWE talent spend about half of their earnings on the road - hotel, car rental, food etc. Good indy draws have their expenses largely.

The Smackdown live event payoffs being really bad these days is something I've heard recently. But you don't really need to be told that just look at attendances.

Also be under no illusion things like NXT and 205 Live are efforts to lower wrestler bargaining power, the value of a WWE contract etc.

It's weird cause a lot of indy talent have a difficult choice if they really want a WWE run right now. They 100% need to go right now if they want a WWE cause those chances may not be there if the TV deal is the same or lower in 2019. But as you say it's also 100% clear the NXT/205 live deals are there to both lower talent
costs and starve out the big drawing indies.

• Locked thread