Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

So what did the last word on wrestling have to say about Funkasaurus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Must have missed the fake cancer thing - can someone summarize or give a link?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Lloyd Boner posted:

Here's the post from THE BOARD

drat. Thanks for the answer.

It'd be hard to choose between that and a hosed up Jeff Hardy putting his opponent in incredible danger by being in the ring in his condition.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

After giving LAW a try it's far better to me personally than F4W's podcasts. The guys on LAW aren't nearly as terrible as Alvarez and Meltzer and when Meltzer makes appearances on LAW he doesn't seem to use "like" and "ya know" ten billion times.

I don't mind Alvarez's sidekicks on his shows but goddamn I can only hear so many stupid stories about your cat. And I'm saying that as a person that doesn't mind cats.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

after nearly a year of subscribing to WO/F4W, the personal stuff in the Bryan and Vinny podcasts are probably my favorite. I can see how people would find that annoying, but I like the personal aspects of some of the shows.

Honestly if it was like a quick hit 30 second bit about something amusing his cat did that was actually amusing stuff that cats do it'd be great and would indeed add a personal touch to the podcast but I've seriously fast forwarded through 18-20 minute cat stories. That's just crazy. I don't mind the granny segments that much because they seem to be spaced out just enough not to become annoying. Those drag too most times. It's like Alvarez has no concept of storytelling in that he can't be bothered to cut out all the mundane details that add nothing and get to the point.

Vinny is awesome though so I can't hate on him. I don't mind the Mike guy that does podcasts with Alvarez either. Both of them are more fun to listen to than the main host, though.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Cardboard Box posted:

I like how the earliest pages of this thread has everybody talking about how much they love Alvarez and now everybody hates him.

I've consistently disliked Alvarez since the first time I heard his whiney voice ramble on for 20 minutes about his dumb cats and that was like one of the very first radio shows of his I heard. I thought "hey the guy probably got a new cat and it's a one time thing because no moron could possibly think people would want to hear about his cat for almost a half hour in like every other show" yet here we are. He just screams "Wasn't good at wrestling so he decided to become a critic" to me instead of how Meltzer seems like a genuine fan that enjoys talking about it whether good or bad.

Then once I noticed Meltzer repeating like and ya know every three seconds in almost a stutter it was all over for Observer Radio for me. Now I just listen to LAW or wait for someone to post the important bits Meltzer reveals on Observer Radio. Alvarez is legit the worst part of f4w to me.

Lots of people seem to like him though so to each their own and all that.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

It's weird the lengths at which people here go to defend Alvarez and Meltzer and spin the dumb things they do in a positive light. Sometimes really weird. This coming from a guy that has defended Alex Riley at the worst of times.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

I don't think you "get" Alvarez and Meltzer.

I'll never get tired of that defense.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Kind of sad you didn't take the bait and assume I was being serious :sweatdrop:

We've made fun of that on twitter too much for me to ever take that seriously again.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Lone Rogue posted:

Aside from maybe production values, I see no reason why WWE is better than ROH. Even when ROH disappoints in a PPV, you still get your money and wrestling enjoyment worth. You don't have to make excuses and hone in on one thing you liked and claim it's a good PPV because of it.

WWE has Alex Riley and ROH just has a bunch of scrubs that put on four and five star matches. Check mate.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

dshban posted:

We just put up a new feature on Smart Wrestling Fan Extra that'll be up on the normal feed in the coming days - a Fantasy Federation Draft, where all of the hosts pick their own dream 30-person roster (20 men, 6 women, 2 announcers, 2 wildcards) and eventually make their own WrestleMania card from these rosters. I'd love to get people's thoughts on it if they get a chance to listen to it.

A five hour fantasy booking podcast sounds rough to be honest.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

dshban posted:

Well, again, it's not so much fantasy booking as who we think are the most valuable properties in wrestling. I've heard only super positive things so far from people who listened to it. But fair enough! :)

I wasn't trying to write it off without having listened to it I just know the shows of yours that I tried listening to in the past were like five hours long each time. Are they still that long? That's mainly why I made that comment.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

http://lawradio.podbean.com/2012/04/30/law-april-29th-2012-w-scott-steiner/

Extreme rules review and an interview with Scott Steiner from the fellas at LAW. Didn't see it posted yet - if it was then whoops.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I've never seen anything about Joseph Park but that was pretty entertaining.

Edit: Saw Slammiversay - the interview is even funnier once you know all the background.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 14, 2012

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I'm guessing I'm the only one that thinks James Storm has more potential as a star out of the two?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Meltzer should stop being on the radio shows because he's terrible as a radio personality and can't even speak half the time. Listening to him get all flustered trying to talk about the diva's swimsuit competition being the second most covered or whatever the hell he was trying to say leading to him stuttering like a moron until Alvarez just talks over him saying "Well my point was" to get him to stop is just embarrassing.

That or hook some electric shock mechanism up to him and zap him every time he says "Ya know"

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I wish Dave had more of an understanding as to what constitutes a conversation, at least. His jumping in on Bryan in the middle of every point he tries to make really wore on me.

This is the problem further compounded by the fact that alot of the time Dave is just rambling or mumbling or stuttering and his brain does not work as fast as his mouth or whatever is happening. He just talks and talks and talks and alot of the time he's just stopping in the middle of a sentence repeatedly and starting over and if Bryan doesn't stop him he'll burn ten minutes verbally running in place.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

HulkaMatt posted:

Dave Meltzer is better than Pro Wrestling.

"Is better than pro wrestling" probably applies to just about anyone

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

New drinking game: Take a shot whenever Mike says "And again"

You'll die. Twice.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

The Shaman of Cum posted:

ed in san antonio here have you ever wanted to know a fat poo poo's thoughts on going to vegas well here you go

:lol:

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

HulkaMatt posted:

That's seriously one of the best B&V shows ever.

I went to listen to it because you said this and I got like fifteen minutes of his cat's life story right off.

Edit: drat you! :argh:

Edited this post like ten times because every time it sounded mean and cat chat really doesn't make me all mad I just don't get why people enjoy it.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 7, 2012

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

HulkaMatt posted:

I don't think you realize I was talking about the December 2007 show.

Then apparently I swerved myself because I went and listened to the most recent one thinking you were talking about that one.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Jack Krauser posted:

Bryan's really warming up to TNA. Seems to be really hot on the shows I'm not so hot on though. Thought this week's Impact was good, but it's been better in the last month. If I remember, he also thought that the first live episode was great too, and I thought that one was all over the place.

Alvarez really enjoys a few episodes of Raw that people that knew what good television was wouldn't have enjoyed either so I wouldn't take it badly if your personal likes and dislikes don't fall where his do. Dude likes weird poo poo alot of the time.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

njsykora posted:

Yeah please remember this man is going hunting for Bigfoot in a few days.

The bigfoot thing always makes me laugh when people defend him when he says dumb poo poo. He's literally a grown man who marks for bigfoot and has paid real money to go on a hunt for it.

Someone will quote this most likely and say "Oh but he's just kidding around." No he's not. He can try to make it seem like it's jokey but I've heard the childish passion in his ridiculous bigfoot rants. This dude really wants to find one.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I'm sure "My husband is obsessed with bigfoot so I bought him a bigfoot camping trip expedition for his birthday" is a story she'll want to share with her friends.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

MassRayPer posted:

If you listened to the Finding Bigfoot reviews

I've only heard him talking about it during the normal wrestling/MMA shows and I kinda zone out as he marks out about bigfoot if that's what you're talking about. If it's a separate show then no, I haven't.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Bhester posted:

Dave is great when it's just Bryan and him, but during interview's he's unbearable. He would stammer on and on about nothing when Konnan was trying to talk or answer a question.

He does the stammering, stuttering and skipping like a broken record when he hits the phrase "ya know" when it's just the two of them as well.

Bryan constantly has to outright talk over him to get a word in or to change the subject from something that Dave is just lost in spergland about and rambling on and on.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Bhester posted:

I find it easier to handle when it's just a review or news because he's at least contributing something. He was stammering over Konnan when the subject at hand was a hypothetical situation about underutilized talent.

Dave is a great source for wrestlenews with his connections and his passion for the sport and all but he's a really bad choice for someone to represent the website on a podcast. Every time he's on it feels like he's never been in a conversation with real people before and has no idea how conversations actually work.

Then again that seems to be part of his charm for some people so who knows.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Oatgan posted:

Steroids do not increase your punching power

Everything I've ever learned in movies is wrong

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Jack Krauser posted:

Bryan's excuse about HHH/Lesnar made no sense.

That happens a lot with him though and you learn to live with it just like you learn to live with Dave's mumbling, stuttering and inability to have a normal conversation.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 22, 2012

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

MassRayPer posted:

Lance Storm has some really good points about the Hug.

That ridiculous hug segment is pretty much the goofy poo poo pro wrestling was built on

I don't know what Storm said but he hates fun so I assume he was against it

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Fair point - but we're in a post-drawing-feud era where people pay money to see WWE the brand because they've force conditioned the remaining fans to see it that way and not individual feuds and matches. So it's kind of hard to argue that a poorly booked blood feud between Kane and Daniel Bryan would have drawn better on PPV than a poorly booked string of comedy segments that were actually entertaining leading up to the eventual bad match because even Daniel Bryan is going to have to put in a 10 star match to even out Kane's side of the deal.

And people stopped taking Daniel Bryan seriously around the time they started calling him goatface anyway. This is probably the best we could hope for.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

It's amazing how much support here Miz had when that video was produced and now you'd be hard pressed to find anyone here that would claim to still be a fan. His rise and fall was hilariously fast. I tried to stay positive about him but the face turn has just been unbearable.

That and when Riley stopped being his stooge that pretty much took all the fun out of his character. Those two trolling other wrestlers was the only reason Miz's personality worked.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

dsriggs posted:

For me, his fall happened when he came out on the ramp. He was a foot shorter than Riley, wore an overcoat that looked 3 sizes too big for him, & stomped around like a 12-year-old "tough guy". All I could think of was: "Man, they were right. He shouldn't be here."

Just like that hypothetical that Bryan Alvarez says about something being on the other side of the room, and you have to choose to go through X, X or The Miz to get it. I just don't buy him as a person who could win a professional fight.

But, that video package made me think it for a minute or so, so good job production guys.

This post for some reason made me remember the stupid fuckin' ostrich dance he used to do before his finisher and now I can't stop laughing.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

The Eric Young interview is probably my favorite out of the Stone Cold podcast stuff. I'm warming up to Austin more since he figured out how to have more of a conversation that sounds like an actual conversation because it was pretty rough for the first few episodes but that's to be expected.

Two things from the Eric Young episode stood out to me - the first was him casually telling the story about how he broke his ankle working for TNA and couldn't afford to get it fixed so he had to attempt to work a match a few days later on a PPV with it. He's a very pro-TNA guy in interviews and this stood out as really weird. Not that we didn't already know that TNA treats their talent horribly but I didn't expect that story to come from Young.

The second was the entire segment of him trying to explain how he manages aqua dumps during the taping of his fishing show.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

TheHock posted:

There are two big things that annoy me about Austin's podcast. First, he always talks over his guests. I think it's a wrestling thing, but there's a handful of times every episode where he just shouts over whoever is on so he can say whatever he wanted.

Yeah this is a big problem - I don't remember which one it was I recently listened to but he literally shouts something like WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT like 80 times while the guy on the other end is just trying to finish a sentence because Steve wasn't ready to finish the sentence yet, apparently. Not sure what he's thinking doing that but it sounds ridiculous.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Meltzer is kinda Rain Man-ish though so I can't really blame him for doing it. I don't think he can help it.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Have they addressed the breach or are they just deleting all mentions of people freaking out about it on ~THE BOARD~ or whatever.

That really blows for those of you that got hit. Hopefully your banks will sort it out. Also how do people get poo poo sent to them they buy online with stolen cards without getting caught? Seems like a really stupid plan.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Valeyard posted:

To be fair, they keep your passwords in plaintext so something like this isn't exactly surprising

As much as I poke fun at Meltzer even I didn't choose to kick people while they were down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

True

• Locked thread