Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Karmine posted:

Vince is a delusional maniac hth

The announcing is probably the one thing that will improve substantially when Vince steps away or kicks it, because there's ample evidence that the announcing problems that manifest in Cole are entirely Vince and Kevin Dunn while Triple H's model announcer is JR with less heavy producing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

CombineThresher posted:

This is assuming that HHH will veer from his current path of shoehorning his over-the-hill friends into the product when he takes over the company.

Triple H's over the hill friends would probably be pretty good announcers.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

This week's back issue is the "Love Machine" Art Barr bio, which is among the best pieces of writing Dave has done. In retrospect, Barr's career probably would have taken off insanely in America within just a few years as the style caught up to him.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Rodney the Piper posted:

Are any of the podcasts/newsletters/whatever on the Observer site for the couple of weeks in the aftermath of Benoit?

All of the Figure Four stuff is, but none of the Observer stuff other than a couple Figure Four Dailys with Dave. It was pre-merger.

Dave never wrote a Benoit bio anyway.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Rodney the Piper posted:

Was there an issue/show that did a full breakdown of the circumstances surrounding it, regarding police reports and such?

Almost everything in late-June and July is about Benoit. It dominated the news for months as more terrible details came dripping out.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Rodney the Piper posted:

Thanks. Just so I don't sound like someone on the verge of Benoit-jusitification or whatever, I was wanting to look over toxicology reports after listening to the interview with Chris Bell a few years back on the Observer show.

Here's the F4W with toxicology report breakdowns.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

The only time I listen to Todd shows is when I'm having a bout of insomnia, and they work quite well to solve that.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

MassRayPer posted:

The Pop Culture quiz was a bit disappointing although it did give more insight into the strange variety of things Dave watches.

I feel like Dave must have mentioned that he watches Jersey Shore before given how many of them have shown up some place or another, yet I was still really surprised.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

I always assumed Dave was kind of at his wife's mercy when it came to non-wrestling/MMA television.

Except for Friends and Dallas, of course.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Be forewarned that Konnan will spend most of the interview talking about MMA and making fun of Bryan, though.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

PoO3 posted:

On the other hand, you were right, as a heel he was over as gently caress last year.

No he wasn't, most of the discussion a year ago at this time was about how they managed to book a six month heel title run without getting the champion over at all.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

njsykora posted:

Whole thing makes me so god drat angry to hear old guys tearing into FCW when it's the best it's ever been right now.

Here's the thing: FCW television is somewhat okay because they've been holding back a bunch of experienced good workers that should have went straight to the main roster. They've got three of ROH's best workers, Jon Moxley, Consequences Creed, Leo Kruger...all of these guys have a ton of experience and none of these guys should be in developmental. The rest of the good workers are the legacy guys who were trained from very early on by family and friends, like Richie Steamboat, the Rotundas, etc.

As a developmental system, it's still the drizzling shits. They're not actually developing anyone, they're just taking guys who were already good and having them idle, while Vince calls up the crappy stiffs instead. And those are all the guys who were recruited in with little or no experience and end up coming out being completely awful.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Is he really good? He looks so ridiculous in his FCW pics that I can't take him seriously. Unless he's doing a Zoolander gimmick or somethng.

He's decent, but he's in his 30s and has been wrestling for something like fifteen years already. That's not the type of guy that they should be sending to developmental for two years.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Lone Rogue, I don't know why you keep bringing this video package stuff up when there's plenty of video of these guys doing physical interaction, even with each other. It's a bizarre point.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

I agree that the build for the match has been suboptimal (and I think that's intentional because they're more worried about Cena than the match itself), but they shouldn't have been exchanging holds or running around doing finishers on each other either. A separated pull apart where they don't actually do anything except perhaps one punch or so is the usual way of building this type of program up, and they never did that last year or this year.

I just don't get the "we don't have enough video for the package that nobody will see who hasn't already bought the show" line of thinking. That's like the last thing they need to worry about; the video package will be great because they're good at it, but it won't do a thing for the match anyway.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

The UT-HBK rematch video with the Placebo song is the best thing WWE has ever done.

This is true, but really that entire 14 month program - storylines, promos, video packages, matches, everything - is the best thing WWE has done in many, many years.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

LordPants posted:

When dave mentioned not doing the job "like the undertaker did that one time" was that at Unforgiven after Brock won the title? Because that match sucked with a DQ finish.

Yes.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

I'm pretty sure Dave was talking about two different instances with Sapp. WWE tried to bring him in about once a year from 2002-2007, and got very close in 2006.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

That just makes me wonder what held up negotiations, usually WWE gets what they want when it comes to talent, except Sting and AJ Styles.

There were a couple different times things fell through. Sometimes he didn't want to work the house show loop and just TVs, sometimes he wanted Goldberg's deal where he could still work Japan, sometimes he had too many lucrative outside deals that he couldn't part with.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Todd would be an amusing guy to have on once every month or two to argue with Bryan, but he just doesn't have enough different to say for his own weekly show.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Frankly it was a "if the next one wasn't already on the schedule, it wouldn't be airing in a remotely decent time slot" number, and the fact that Zuffa hasn't moved a big fight onto that show indicates to me that they know the die is already cast.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Euthyphro posted:

I saw the first video from a couple of weeks ago, but did something happen yesterday or the day before that led them to talk about it again?

Dana accused Dave of being in the tank for Bellator and TNA because he's friendly with King Mo or something like that.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah that's pretty stupid, Dave has been writing about ratings for 20 years or so and UFC has been leaking him their own internal numbers since like UFC 3. And I'm sure they'll continue to do so. There's some legitimate criticism to be found in Dave's MMA coverage, and he does have biases, but he's certainly not in the tank for SPIKE.

Dana really is turning into the new Vince.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Dave's ten minute soliloquy during the SmackDown spoilers discussion that somehow transitioned from talking about AJ and Punk to Arianny vs. the other UFC ring girls to WAHOO MCDANIEL was one of the great Observer Radio runs.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

ECW was able to develop stars pretty well, but they were badly undercapitalized and had lovely television.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Gonzo McFee posted:

TNA has only been good for like a month and a bit, dude. They keep it up and guys like Bobby Roode and James Storm will be stars by virtue of being what people are paying to see on PPV, which I'm willing to bet money will increase now that they're actually booking things as if they matter.

Roode and Storm have both exposed too long as nothing guys on a nothing show to suddenly turn into major stars. That doesn't mean that TNA can't produce major stars eventually, they're just not going to be it unless some crazy poo poo happens.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I'm guessing I'm the only one that thinks James Storm has more potential as a star out of the two?

I would agree on that. Roode is a better worker but Storm has a ton more charisma, and the latter is usually what matters.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Dreamer was the booker in OVW for awhile and took one of the better wrestling shows around and turned it into the worst show in wrestling.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

LordPants posted:

"Vince is smart because he knows how to get those 10% internet wrestling fans to buy pay per views because he knows that no matter how bad the build is they'll still buy Bryan v Punk."

I haven't heard the interview yet but this is pretty much spot on IMO, although far from unique to that particular storyline. A main reason WWE is still afloat is because a decent chunk of their core business audience thinks the product completely blows (because it does) yet still watches RAWs and PPVs.

It's quite cathartic to just stop watching, if you're one of those people.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

triplexpac posted:

They need to bring back that guy who droned on and on about video games, then you'd all appreciate the greatness that is Dave

Oh god I remember that dude, he was awesome.

They also need to bring back MARK, the ECW fan.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

HulkaMatt posted:

I don't think you realize I was talking about the December 2007 show.

Indeed, SILENT NIGHT, BLOODY NIGHT was the pinnacle of B&V, it's been in all downhill from there.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

I actually remember exactly what spot I was at in the car while listening to Gold Boat, because I almost drove off the Garden State Parkway.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

This is, what, about the eighth time he's tried this format?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

MassRayPer posted:

I am not sure if this is meant to be hyperbole, because I think it's pretty close to the actual number.

Legitimate estimate, he's been doing audio shows for about eight years now and he's tried something like this about once a year.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Like Rock or Bret Hart news, Dave's source for any Ric Flair news is almost certainly Dave's close friend Ric Flair, who probably asked Dave to not reveal it in full.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

I listen to Capital T sometimes when I want to fall asleep. Usually does the trick well.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

MassRayPer posted:

Bryan has debuted a new somewhat daily mini audio update.

Should we start a pool on when he gives up on the idea, or is it pointless to do a pool where every pick is "tomorrow."

A little later than I expected, but...

Bryan Alvarez posted:

-- Apologize for the lack of 10-Minute Afternoon Update audios last few days, should be back in action next week.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Nooooo I want Captain Charisma's thoughts on the Rumble, I have been robbed of this treasure

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

It's a case where Dave's looking at it from the promoter's standpoint, and it's about 98% the right thing from that view. (The 2% is that Punk headlining 'Mania, even in a 3 way, helps him more than the singles match helps Cena going forward, and that while it wasn't a stip, it makes any who bought the 'Once In A Lifetime' tagline from last year feel dumb), the people who are mad are mad from a fan's point of view. As in, they would enjoy seeing Punk keep the belt more, enjoy Rock doing something else more. It's a distinction Dave has a lot of trouble recognising in these situations, because I think he has trouble realising not everyone watches wrestling the way he does, having covered it as a business for 30 years.

The people who are mad are almost exclusively mad in a way that is good for WWE's business, i.e. they care so deeply about the CM Punk character that seeing him lose the belt to a part-timer is traumatic. And that's very, very good for WWE because those people are not going away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I'm not so sure, with the rise of pirated streams. It's easier to 'not go away' without putting money in WWE's coffers, which is the goal. Now comparatively, the numbers are minuscule compared to the number of people Rock being champ will probably persuade to buy shows, but I'm not convinced it's an unadulterated positive, just a net(huge) one.

People who have the capability and desire to pirate wrestling shows aren't going to buy the shows purely as a statement of support to Vince McMahon.

• Locked thread