Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Chris Jericho's podcast is great and I love it, except for those terrible skits he does before the actual discussion begins. I wish he would stop it with gimmicks like Egypt. It isn't funny, like the weird Stone Cold jumping rats rants, it is just kinda dull. It would be so much more listenable if it weren't for those gimmicks. I don't like having to skip about 5 mins of every episode and look around for the actual bit I want. I am a lazy fucker.

Also, that Stone Cold episode with Heyman was amazing, count my as one of the many who can listen to Heyman talk for days. He's got the voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Yeeeah, hahah, that's the other one. The TWITTYAH. Oh, and the cowbell bit. The cowbell bit! I've always been a Jericho guy, but he can do some weird stuff on his podcast, which I only have a low tolerance for. I'm enjoying it regardless tho, free entertainment, and he gets some cool guests like Rey, Austin (no stunner there) and Edge.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Rodney the Piper posted:

Did he use the Million Dollar Dream or the Stun Gun?

Had to be the Stun Gun, he wouldn't need dollar shave ads on his podcast if it were Million Dollar.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Don't miss the Stone Cold Cast on Thursday - scientific rat facts en route!

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Oh God that Jerry Lawler joke on the newest Jericho podcast caught me off guard.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Pretty much. Also, that Paul Heyman Studio 54 story. Guys, this episode is a must listen.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

@TalkIsJericho posted:

This week on #TIJ:
Wed- @FOZZYROCK band & #WWEBattleground review w Ash & Ted Irvine
Fri- @ZackRyder

I'm kinda excited about that.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
So, I've never listened to the podcasts on the Observer before, and I tried today to give it a look. I went onto the July 24 show, because it was the only thing that interested me that seemed available and it does not seem to work. It just buffers, forever. In fact, everything does. Is this because I am not a subscriber?

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Ahhh, okay. Well, the free one this week looks like the one I am least interested in, and if they are going to hide all of their content behind a paywall and not look after details very well, then I guess this might not be for me.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
No, the website just looks so terrible with random words capitalised on headlines that the word FREE was totally glazed over by me and confused me. That is either a failure of my comprehension, or their idea of design. Even more, when you do click on a thing that is subscriber only, it does nothing to inform you that you are on content you are not allowed to use except waste your time with a buffer timer set to 'forever'. Their website is pretty bum looking and doesn't do much to help you figure out what is and is not sub only. Label things as sub only, just to help keep your site clear.

Also, I didn't really even type that in an angry state, gently caress knows how you interpreted madness. It was at most a passing 'eh'.

e; oh, cool, you chilled off on your oddly aggressive stance. FWIW, to an absolute outsider, their site does nothing to illustrate how much of their content is sub only and how much is free. I still think their site is in dire need of a redesign though.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
The Zack Ryder ep of TIJ is up. Not had a chance to listen yet because I am watching the SDCC panel. As a guy excited about this, I hope it is worth it. Zack is the guy who has been in the locker room for a fairly long time now, has been on most of the brands, and still hasn't really climbed anywhere. His perspective will be interesting.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

bradzilla posted:

Allow me to summarize Zack's perspective: :qq:

I didn't actually think he was that moany. Certainly not as bad as JRs intros, complaining about the biz. He just kinda discussed his career as a lowcarder or dark match man, and shared a few good stories. Worth a listen, imo. I feel bad he has never really hit his big break, I like him a lot.

Also, googling a bit about him, I also found out that he has a different version of his theme which is just as great as his current (I legit like it for a wrestler song)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lbm_WWhKx0

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Zack was a good guest

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

get hosed willow

e; get hosed russo

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Jericho's "comedy" bits are usually really obnoxious (particularly his "characters") but his interviews are really good.

The guy seems to be a natural interviewer, and unnaturally unfunny. I went back and read all of his first book lately, and some of it is pretty insufferable for his comedic spin, even if the stories made it absolutely worth it.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
AEPodcast is better than most of the ones epitasis listed

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
D-Bry is right, Shinsuke Nakamura probs is one of the best in the world. Whenever I get bored and put on NJPW, I go straight to his match, then turn it off because I know nobody before him will match it, and nobody can follow him.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
BTW, not sure if anyone here knows but a guy is uploading compilations of B&V TNA reviews. Dude uploads about one month a week or around that pace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2gknk9aIzU

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Dunno, I'd put Trips pretty high up there at this point in his career. He knows all the tricks. Dan is a fool for the terminology though.

Maybe best for the questions thread, but who are the smartest people in the biz in the opinion of everyone here? Just who can rule the roost and run the show to satisfaction?

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Quicksand_Jesus posted:

How DID that happen anyway? I was always under the assumption that Shane would take over and share it with Steph, and that's obviously not happening. Has there been explanation as to where Shane is, what he's doing, etc.?

Also seconding the "smartness" f HHH. You see a guy who was some nobody amateur bodybuilder who magically transitioned into one is the most powerful positions in wrestling. Marrying a McMahon didn't hurt, but it sounds like HHH was pretty tight with Vince even before their relationship.

Shane wanted to be successful in his own right. He is now working as a Chairman of the Board in China, on the Chinese version of Hulu or Netflix, YOU On Demand, and is seeing some success at that.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
If anything, Shane going away to work successes in other businesses is just another feather in his cap for if he ever decided to go back to WWE. He would immediately be welcomed into a powerful position simply due to the perceived ability he has had in other areas. Not to say he would dethrone Trips and Steph, but he would be next in line.

Who is the smartest man in wrestling? Shane McMahon, because he got out of it.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

No he's not. The company is a consistent money loser and he's used his own funds to keep it going.

I thought it was slowly becoming profitable? Like, last I remember hearing it was getting to the point where it had enough users to start making money. I could be wrong tho, last I read was around mania.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

The last interview I saw with him said he just put more money in and expects it to become profitable next year, which is code for "it won't be profitable next year." Their stock is near its all time low too.

Oh, poo poo. Scratch what I said. Dude is floundering.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Draga posted:

For Punch or Piss: If WWE wrestlers were Dragonball characters, who would be Yamcha?

Corporate Kane. Or Zack Ryder. Kofi maybe - he wins enough to look decent, loses enough to know he still ain't considered poo poo.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Meltzer has already been contacted for this but I doubt he'll do that.

he should have a book written already, due to be published following his death. I would buy the Vin Mac life story with all the low blows and high rolls

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

How sad that this book will never be published :(

I mean Meltzer's death. Not Vince's.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
The Bray episode is very, very good, gently caress the audio issue moaning, just listen to it. Go for nicer speakers than earphones too, like, put it on your PC speakers or something. Also, having listened to other Bray interviews before, part of the issue with the sound is not the quality (which is bad, admittedly), but Bray's voice. It is so deep that even good 'for TV' produced audio makes him sound unintelligible. He had some slot on morning TV where he was in character, everyone else sounded clear as a bell, but his voice was so deep it sounded like he was recording through a tin can.

Bray is one special guy, dude is so motivated to do what he does, he sounds very grateful for what he has earned too. He sounds very humble and respectful. Solidified him as one of my favourite guys they have right now. He also strikes me as seeming very intelligent for a wrestler .

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

One thing I found really surprising is how little thought the developmental guys (other than Bray) seem to put into their entrance music, and that a lot of new guys just pick up the first buttrock or rap song they hear. It's such an integral part of your character and image that you'd think that'd be way more emphasized than it is.

Yeah, I found that odd too, I think about what theme I would use if I were ever a wrestler all the time because the theatrics are part of the show. A good entrance is what seals a character, makes them into a full package. And you can really see that kind of thinking in Bray, because if you do not believe he has the best current entrance process, then I do not know what to say to you. His entrance has always been amazing, really sets the tone of the character.

But then I remember that a lot of developmentals back in the day were a mix of indies who probably put a lot of thought into it, and then you also have the people that the WWE pick up from bodybuilding or legit sport backgrounds, who have the look but maybe not the same love for wrestling that guys like Bray do. Guys who get into the game for the green and the fame, but maybe not because the life was what they always wanted.

Thing is about Bray's theme is that it isn't a Johnston or in house piece, so he is kind of exceptional in the WWE these days. How many other current guys have outside sounds for their entrance? It kind of says a lot to me for what the WWE think about him now, that they were willing to give him that.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

DrVenkman posted:

On that note, are there any current wrestlers (As in, newer guys) who are using Johnston pieces? It all sounds like the cheaply licensed stuff that Bray was talking about.

I said Johnston and in house because I couldn't remember the name of the new guys who also make the current themes, CFO$. Most of the newer ones are made by them, and they are considered in house. And the impression I got with Broken Out in Love/Live In Fear is that it was something that was in the FCW library, not the WWE one.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
"Yeah, sure, as long as you pause so that the crowd can cheer it afterwards"

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
wrestling podcasts have taught me to hate the terms brass ring and picking your hill to die on

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I want that Booker T story to be real so bad

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
that is exactly why I want it to be true

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Fauxhawk Express posted:

I don't think they ever were.

the second episode was sub only, the rest are all free iirc

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

rovert posted:

Another one:

I look forward to drunken ramblings every week now

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Korelle posted:

Brock Lesnar enshrined as eternal champion of WWE.

i would watch him crush the whole roster but only that

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

they sold me on a youtube channel in that one video

gently caress me doc, I did not expect you to down that in one on video

also, worth clicking onto their channel page to see their banner thing, it looks like some 90s MTV animation poo poo with an awkward AJ

e; also, yeah, Cody Hall looks green as gently caress, his lariats look like they would genuinely hurt someone. I think he needs more time to practice before he gets in the ring with the rest of the Biz Cliz.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXH5wVLY9VA

they are really going all out dumb on this and it is amazing

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

These guys are seriously amazing.

I think my favourite thing about it all is how they are trying to make it all look professional and poo poo but used a camera that looks like it is from 2008 in terms of video quality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Spermgod posted:

how he doesn't understand why websites feel the need to use clickbait headlines any more, it's not the late 90s (:confused:), he doesn't need to use sensationalistic headlines for the daily updates because if people are members of the site they're going to read it anyway. i guess he really has no idea how much money he's leaving on the table by not having the observer content presented in a style that isn't just a 20,000 word plain text file every week.

He knows that the current f4w/WON audience are completely content to read a plaintext file, he has no real reason to change it. His main audience is the hardcore, and the hardcore will take the best no matter what format it is in.

Or, that is just how I see it, at least.

• Locked thread