Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
So here's a weird idea as far as the internet's and anonymous' role in these things. We know that governments spread misinformation when there is unrest to try and quell the uprisings, but how how effective would spreading counter-misinformation be? Stuff like claiming that a government is near the breaking point, or that military leadership is starting to have inner conflict. It seems that a group like Anonymous could find a way to spread information like this quickly and have it sound somewhat reliable. I feel like if it were an effective thing, it might give protesters in the areas more hope and cause them to continue fighting when they would otherwise give up.

^^^ - as far as the above comment goes, I think that its important that people from all over the world become attached. As people in more privileged countries start to see other countries begin to have more freedoms maybe they might start thinking about how they can improve their own countries situations and inspire further revolution and change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Karl Sharks posted:

are there any NATO clauses or some poo poo that require member states to held heads of state?

doubt it but even if there were at this point, is he really a head of state if he can't land in the country he's supposedly head of state of?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Turkey's been pretty poo poo to the PKK I hope both sides cause serious damage to eachother.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Sky Shadowing posted:

I don't think all the protests are on the same side, one was pretty clearly pro-Erdogan because of their lightbulb flags (AKP logo) but the others I just saw Turkish flags.

I think most protests are pro-Erdogan right now because the coup supporters are following the curfew, I'll be interested to see what happens once daylight breaks and the coup supporters come out.

E: Interested in what happens not counting 'bloodthirsty', if blood is spilled I'll be very sad.

Sky News was definitely saying that there were multiple groups of protesters and some had been fighting with eachother though they didn't show it so who knows.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

evilweasel posted:

Is the msnbc lady saying the f-16s are pro coup?

thats weird because didnt the whole thing kick off with jets buzzing low over cities I mean actually I guess that makes sense I read that as jets are anti-coup

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mozi posted:

I can't find the post much earlier in the thread tonight saying the rumor was that it was a coup set up by Ergodan to fail and give him more power, but I would quote it if I could.

yeah that was from someone in turkey

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
police shoot jet and police are supposed to be loyal and jets are supposed to be loyal so confusing, did the stream that had the guys throw some kind of grenade out of their tank ever go back up? I was wondering if it was a boom grenade or a gas grenade.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I'm so broken I watched that NSFW one and didn't even stop eating my pizza with marinara sauce

was like drat that dude looks like my food

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 16, 2016

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
At what point does it become a civil war? I'm still confused about who's in command of the air force considering they seem to just be shooting at everything that moves.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Watching an empty news room like that is one of those eerie things from movies that doesn't seem to happen very often.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
it sounds like someone with authority is speaking to crowds on the cnn stream wish I could understand what they're saying

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
man in pink shirt on cnn stream

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
it seems like there are people in military uniforms in the back right of the CNN stream every once in a while but its another confusing thing because why storm CNN and then not use the broadcast for your propaganda? Obviously I don't know what pink man is saying but it doesn't seem like an official broadcast from either side.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Remember early reports that the military was deploying because of terrorism? I bet that the coup leaders used that to get a bunch of these soldiers out where they were "We are deploying you against a potential terror threat, secure these places against any terrorists" and thats why you're seeing in some areas the soldiers just surrendering so easily.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Something going down at Erdogan's chat?

CNN Turk feed just cut as security moved in around him.

AMN is saying there's been airstrikes at the airport was he still there?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
coup apparently desperate and working with old intel both things bad/scary regardless

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Kulkasha posted:

Do we still have nukes in Turkey?

yeah

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

FlamingLiberal posted:

Gotta play to his base

I'm imagining Trump standing in the middle of a war zone, bombs exploding all around him, red faced and screaming about a building border wall along mexico.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
you know news is slowing down when goons start attacking each other instead of being excited about the violence AMN posting pictures of soldiers presumably beat to death. Or shot I can't tell.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
gunfire on that periscope shared earlier

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
AMN saying military still in control at airport and coup elements refusing to surrender

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
things definitely picking up at the bridge. Almost constant gunfire.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.periscope.tv/Isocializm/1nAKEbvYkQXGL for people who don't have the link is the bridge with gunfire can't really tell whats going on but a ton of people heading towards the bridge with gunfire in the distance

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Like how Obama and other states are like "lol democratically elected leader" and then there's like beheadings and poo poo for coup supporters. Democracy! Kurdish Movement released a statement saying both sides of the coup are poo poo heads in agreement with a lot of the posters in the thread.

Watching erdo drop the hammer on thousands of people doesn't really bode well for the stability of the country. Maybe in the short term we'll see his power expand, but long term its just going to lead to more civil unrest and violence.

vv - I'm no expert but I'd imagine that 'its going to get worse for Kurds' is a pretty safe statement.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 16, 2016

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
There have been some pretty unflattering things said about those 'protesters' so I'm not entirely sure we should care that much. Seems more like a violent mob was amassed by the AKP which then started attacking soldiers that mostly had no idea what was going on besides being deployed for what they thought was training or counter terrorism.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

farraday posted:

It's amazing to me how posters cheering for a coup are now crying about how Edrogan cheated by not losing.

I think its funny that suddenly there are tons of people sympathizing with erdo and his push for power. I do think that calling citizens in the street during a coup or really for any political action is perfectly legitimate.

My problem stems from the notion that protesters were essentially just peaceful actors wandering the streets calling for democracy when the truth doesn't seem to be quite so cut and dry.

With the pictures of a beheading (I guess not confirmed yet) and soldiers that had been killed inside their military vehicles it looks like soldiers who surrendered peacefully were then attacked which seems kind of crazy to me.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Andrast posted:

If the US was involved the coup would have been a lot less incompetent. USA has a lot of experience with coups.

It does, but they aren't always successful either. Though the theory that this coup blew its load too early might also jive with it being a US backed coup in the sense that if it had played out on the timeline it originally had the US would have been on board. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if every coup since WWII didn't have some major nation/s playing some kind of role in supporting it.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Seeing some people in turkey saying erdo is encouraging his supporters out into the streets again and AKP is using the opportunity to commit violence against opposition and minority groups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Haha I came here to post this. What the gently caress Turkey?

• Locked thread