Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

VikingSkull posted:

What I took from it is the US has these two specific horrible examples of abuse while Russia and China lay claim to the rest. Sure, the US support of South Africa and Israel was and is atrocious, but it kinda pales in comparison to the things Russia and China have vetoed.

That's an interesting stance, but I can not find any evidence to support it (admittedly with a quick look around the internets). If you want to equate Soviet with Russia you might have a point, but I'm not sure where China fits. I'm pretty sure the US is in the lead by far when it comes to horrible misuse of veto power post-cold war though.

Sorry for continuing this derail, back to the democratization of the middle east!

Last thread I asked Ham if there was any way to contribute from this side of the internet. I have little time to spare, but I do have money. If any of the current protests will keep up the momentum they too will be in need of food and medical supplies... Is there any way to help out financially, or am I just being a naïve dick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Patter Song posted:

China's support for its friends Sudan and Burma, two of the worst regimes on the planet.

It seems that the veto is not really an issue since the end of the cold war. http://www.globalpolicy.org/security-council/tables-and-charts-on-the-security-council-0-82/use-of-the-veto.html

If we are talking about a general horrid view, this list shows US views on such things as the rights of children, the trade of illicit arms and peace in space.
http://www.krysstal.com/democracy_whyusa03.html

I don't mind continuing it in another thread, but I will not continue this discussion here.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Jackie Roland is getting a well deserved rest in Paris covering G20 after her adventures in Cairo :3:

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Cacatua posted:

More notes on Libya (from http://twitter.com/SultanAlQassemi)

Al Hurra: Anonymous caller from Benghazi: Claims that Saadi Al Gaddafi has been captured by protesters in Benghazi

Al Hurra is US Govt. funded propaganda TV.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_hurra

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Chade Johnson posted:

That's stupid. People wouldn't watch it if it was full of lies. Yes the truth may be slanted to promote American interests but that doesn't make it a lie. I really don't see what is so hard to understand about this.

They don't really watch it though, and for good reasons.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Not putting a stop to this will leave a country in ruins where more or less everyone is either dead or has a bad case of PTSD. That is not a foundation to build a new and working government on.

If that monster is allowed to continue this genocide until he fails, I think Libya will no longer be a working state, regardless of how the next leadership is chosen.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

roundmidnight posted:

EVERY OTHER Arab dictator

I'm sure the actual human beings getting slaughtered in Libya agree with you and volonteer to take one for the team so as not to make the propaganda wars of other countries dictators easier.

I have no idea if Libyans would like the west to make them not die as much or not, but I can not believe that they give a rats rear end about other dictators right now...

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
One thing that could be done would be to sieze assets in western countries and deny entry to that rear end in a top hat and his croonies. Why has that not already been done?

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Narmi posted:

So I guess this is why Germany is so against a NFZ?

source

e: forgot link to article

Think of the oil imports!!!

:negative:

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Fo3 posted:

On the other hand, no one else in the world from outside libya has ever been pro libya

Except for politically, in witch case, most of the west are guilty of it at one time or another...

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
A CIA puppet instead of Ghadaffi should end well, if history is any indicaction wrong.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Ardennes posted:

That said, it could be just a surplus Soviet Konkurks

Edit: Re-watching it, it looks a lot more like a Konkurks.

Konkurs means bankruptcy in Swedish. The thought of Russia exporting bad economic situations made me giggle.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/Furiouskurd/status/702237156526465025

interesting. apparently she is only 16. i guess she was a run away or some sad/hosed up like that.

edit. http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/23/middleeast/swedish-teen-freed-from-isis/

apparently she was "misled" by them.

She was living at a foster home of sorts, 15 years old and six months pregnant she went "to see her 19 y/o boyfriend" in Gothenburg. They both ran away to eventually end up with ISIS. Him to be trained as a soilder of some kind, while she was staying in something that sounds like a harem. Six months ago she managed to contact her biological parents to tell them she was a captive of Daesh. She gave birth during captivity, though it seems that child is very much not with her, nor the BF.

I'd guess she is not altogether mentally well and that this is just :smith:

EDIT: At least according to the KRG and Swedish press.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

fade5 posted:

And this is why I said Turkey has a "complicated" relationship with ISIL. Officially Turkey hates ISIL, but they basically hate YPG even more than ISIL. Turkey considers the YPG and the PKK (a Kurdish group in Turkey currently waging a low-level separatist war in Turkey) to be one and the same. The US considers the YPG and the PKK to be different entities, which is useful since the US is arming and providing airstrikes in support of the YPG. This has caused Turkish president Erdogan to hit the roof and say that the US should stop supporting "terrorists". This is of course maximum :irony: given how Turkey turns a blind eye to ISIL doing all kinds of poo poo in Turkish territory, as seen above.

Anyway, SDF statement about the Tal Abyad attack:
https://twitter.com/qsd00963/status/703548261861351424

Also ISIL is trying more futile attacks on Tishrin:
https://twitter.com/sayed_ridha/status/703587684153892864

Thank you for these continuing updates, they are so very needed in my Europe-centric media landscape, where there is currently almost peace in Syria.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
There have been two explosions at Brussels airport with unknown amount of injuries/casualties. The timing with regards to the arrest the other day is pretty suspicious.

edit: gently caress.

quote:

There are unconfirmed reports that 11 people have been killed in the blasts.

A local journalist cited firefighters for the death of 11. The Belgian news agency Belga said one person was killed and several injured.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2016/mar/22/brussels-airport-explosions-live-updates

Potrzebie fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Mar 22, 2016

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Mozi posted:

Probably no different than anybody not incredibly cynical.

So Congo, Jugoslavia, Rwanda, Iraq one and two etc were nice proper wars according to the rules?

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Brown Moses posted:

https://twitter.com/green_lemonnn/status/744300438934130688

Here's a fun thing to do:
1 - open the video,
2 - skip to 40s,
3 - watch the video for the next 5s,
4 - point your cursor at the time slider for the period between 40s to 45s so you can see the minipreview and compare it to what you've just watched.

Well, that sure is a thing. Did they accidentally capture things that do not conform with official propaganda?

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I see BBC reporting gunfire and explosions at Atatürk airport in Istanbul. IS on the move?

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

:catstare:

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

"Win"

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Friendly Humour posted:

[White House meeting. wizened old foreign politics guy looking confused]Saudi-arabia bad? Wha...

No no, terrists Bad, Saudi Good. No exceptions (Except that one time at World Trade Center).

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

BattleMaster posted:

What if the world ended and nobody came?

:flaccid:

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcYxVjQSCMY

Looks like a normal day at Burning Man to me.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

steinrokkan posted:

Two wrongs don't make a right.

It takes at least three wrongs. Perhaps four.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Toplowtech posted:

Yes, why would they go to a non functional part of the country when there is Somaliland.

I want to go to Somaliland.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

WarpedNaba posted:

Sometimes I wonder if people want America to act more like Russia or China would if they were the superpower at the top of the heap, just so they really had cause for saying America is the Great Satan.

Take what you can get. America's done some poo poo, but compared to its rivals it's downright benevolent as superpowers go.

I have a feeling that we in the west are really good at forgetting American historical atrocities, and less good at forgetting atrocities done by others.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

fishmech posted:

That's why you don't bother to load explosives on the drone, I don't see what's so hard for all of you to comprehend this. A plain rear end bird hitting a running jet engine already destroys it, that's all the drone needs to do too. And loss of an engine from a bird strike has already been enough to result in deadly crashes plenty of time over the history of jetliners.

That's nice and all, but there's literally nothing stopping someone from simply using multiple drones at once. In fact it is very easy. If we were in a world where drones were so expensive or cumbersome that you could only operate one at once that'd be relevant, but it is not this world.

You don't need direct line of sight to the runway at all, you need direct line of sigh to the well-known and documented flight paths. The attack can be performed many miles away from the airport proper on the standard routes and holding patterns for aircraft in the area. You never need to be in sight of the airport guards.

You would probably attract attention suddenly getting a bunch of drones in the air from miles away, but it wouldn't mean a response that's quick enough to matter. And depending on the goals of the group in question, merely forcing the nearest airport to shut down due to safety concerns could be enough for your plans.

Please point me to where I can learn about how modern aircraft experience fatal crashes due to birds (or drones) getting intimate with the engines. I find reports of emergency landings that, while traumatizing, are not particularly deadly. Single engine failure has not been a fatal issue for big commercial airliners for quite some time afaik. Sure, it requires an emergency landing, but often that just means landing at the nearest runway with highest priority.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

steinrokkan posted:

That guy didn't blow himself up.

Suicide attacks are effective, but it takes a twisted mind to see them as normal and legitimate.

Why though? Attacks against civilians are neither normal or legitimate, but what is wrong with suicide attacks against military targets?

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Brown Moses posted:

And I'm the one accused of biased reporting.
At least you're not accused of joking...

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

L-Boned posted:

Well, it gives Sweden something to look forward to.

How so? Please explain to a confused Swede.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

qkkl posted:

By breaking the drat they are creating jobs.

And GDP growth!

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Duckbag posted:

Good god, if you have any understanding of how cholera spreads (through fecal matter) you know it would make a terrible bioweapon. They're literally accusing the Houthis of poisoning wells.

Maybe they are shooting the poo poo, literary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
E:gnn.

• Locked thread