Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

steve1 posted:

Name: Ali Ibrahim
Nationality: Syrian
Position: just says "player".

e: The fields are filled out in Arabic so I just assume that was done by Syrian officials. What's the importance of this by the way?

"Player"? :parrot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

breaklaw posted:

This is dead loving wrong. A politically motivated prosecution.

quote:

Nakoula Basseley Nakoula was convicted of bank fraud in 2010 but was later released on condition that he did not access the internet or use aliases.

Police are investigating whether Nakoula violated terms of his probation by accessing the internet. The objectionable video caused mayhem only after being posted online.

Last time I checked violating your probation was something that tends to get you in trouble.

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 15, 2012

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

truth masseuse posted:

Precisely. General Westmoreland did a bang up job against the Viet Cong. :circlefap: On a serious note however, what is possibility of this blowing up into another conflict between West and Middle-East?

Very little. NATO has been reluctantly to become involved in the Syrian civil war primarily because of Russian support for Assad's regime. There is limited support for the Free Syrian Army in the form of intelligence and nonlethal military aid from the West (primarily from the US, UK, France, and Germany).

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

PT6A posted:

Do I regret that civilians have to die in any conflict? Yes, of course. Yet I believe the consequences of not confronting fundamentalist militants are worse, for us, and for the people who live in the countries where they are trying to gain power.

You do realize that fundamentalist militancy within a very tiny portion of the over all Muslim population is a direct result of American intervention in the affairs of the Muslim world, right? Maybe if our nation stopped serving the interests of multinational corporations and attempting to shape the world to our desire we'd have less people in the world that were so angry at America. I dunno, just a thought.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

az jan jananam posted:

I realize that Americans like to make themselves the center of the world and all international social developments, but this isn't remotely true. The fundamantalist militancy you're talking about arose more directly as a polemic against what puritans saw as jahili deviance from the Shari'a as well as a reaction against perceived Sufi excesses, hundreds of years before the United States had been established.

Yeah, sorry about that. I admit I'm not as familiar with the base issues within Islam, but what I'm trying to say is that maybe if we didn't insert ourselves into the problems of other peoples we wouldn't be dealing with the hostilities in the world that we are today.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

I hadn't realised that attack on Camp Bastion last Friday had done so much damage :stare:

Wired has more detail:

Thank goodness the prince was never in danger! :allears:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Myrdhale posted:

In L.A. there would be an established police force and riot squad. The same thing is needed over there, and those best prepared for that kind of duty would be the Marines or other elite operatives of the U.S. army.

Emphasis could be made to avoid casualties if altercations do happen, but there is nothing wrong with providing security to foreign diplomats.

Marines do not, and should not, perform the duties of a police force.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Red7 posted:

A small threat in some of these countries that have experienced anti-western protests/riots in the past week includes mortars and heavy weaponry.

Every case is different, but surely we can get behind a military presence in places like Libya, Iraq and Somalia to protect what we have out there. I'm not talking about battalions of troops - but embassy guards, security details for state officials, Military 'aid' workers and private security contractors for NGOs are surely not a step too far?

We already have all of these.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Romney: Palestinians not interested in peace

Go gently caress yourself, shitlord.

Video: http://youtu.be/ukhFBJgrZxM

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 18, 2012

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
So does the Syrian opposition have any heavy weapons themselves? Like captured tanks and artillery?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Brown Moses posted:

I wrote about that in my FP article, just putting together a piece together on their DIY weapons as well. They've captured tanks and only very recently have I seen them being used, mainly because they lack air cover and are deathtraps without it.

I've not seen any evidence of artillery used, but they do use mortars quite a bit now.

Tanks could be useful if used in a defensive capacity. Going hull down, particularly in urban areas, would make them good for ambushes against other armored units and provide protection against loyalist air cover.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Myrdhale posted:

Considering the source of this article I wouldn't put too much stock into it, intelligence gathering is more complicated than they imply.

All the 'OBAMA SURE IS AN IDIOT FOR NOT LISTENING! MORON!' comments on the bottom aren't helping things.

Do all american's seriously believe the president is literally at the switch board of everything? I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but the whole diplomatic engine is a pretty large body, and deals with lots of complex, sometimes rapidly evolving situations, I strongly doubt Obama would be directly involved in the minutia decisions and intelligence reports. What would be the point? He's not a super computer. It's just like all the people who think that report meant 'BUSH KNEW ABOUT 9/11'. Just, gah, these people must have no comprehension of how complicated the world really is.

If you haven't noticed yet, America has a very stupid and vocal population. That's not to say all of us are stupid, it's just that those that are do a good job of being much louder. It also doesn't help that much of our media is made up of these idiots and so we're literally spoon fed mashed up stupid gruel for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
gently caress no. It's purely a symbolic thing.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
I'm wondering how the UN would react if Assad's forces did use chemical weapons. Wouldn't be surprised at all if they completely ignored it, just like they did when Saddam used chemical weapons on the Iranians and his own people.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Brown Moses posted:

CJ Chivers has written another excellent article for the New York Times, this time looking at the DIY weapons of the Free Syrian Army, Syria’s Dark Horses, With Lathes: Makeshift Arms Production in Aleppo Governorate, Part I.

Discount Dan's Weapons Emporium!

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
:( Why don't we get to have a holiday when shitlords do things?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Brown Moses posted:

God help me if they cut off the internet and people can't update their Youtube channels in Syria anymore.

Why haven't they? Assad too worried it would piss off the more affluent Syrians that remain loyal to him?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

gimpfarfar posted:

PBS Frontline has a new piece on Syria out now:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/battle-for-syria/

For people that's been following this thread and/or Brown Moses' updates for a while, it probably won't include too many new pieces to the story but it's a good watch none the less!

Frontline does some great stuff.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Brown Moses posted:

The US has just taken MEK of their list of terrorist organisations...

[edit] Or will

Huh, I would have thought they'd been taken off the terrorist organizations list years ago seeings as how the US practically set them up in Iraq after the overthrow of Saddam. Oops, wrong group! These guys were allied with Saddam's regime and beat up a bit by US forces during the invasion before brokering a deal with the US.

Brown Moses, I have a question: You know how Syria sent a bunch of militiamen to Iraq during the 2003 Iraq War to help defend the Ba'ath party? Are there any connections between that and what's going on now?

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 21, 2012

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
What's China's stake in Syria? Same as Russia's?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Brown Moses posted:

Here's a video apparently leaked from the Syrian army showing a helicopter being used to evacuate wounded troops, but can you spot the unusual detail in this video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUTcWl_j2c0

So... I guess they captured a FSA vehicle? :confused:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Invalido posted:

RPG-7 fired from inside an apartment with the predictable results (for the apartment):

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=69c_1348161020

:smith: Dude, my apartment.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Brown Moses posted:

First time Glenn Beck has pissed over the memory of someone I actually knew (even if it was just on a internet forum), how especially annoying and disrespectful.

Meanwhile, in Libya

[edit] Twitter reports suggest multiple Salafist and Islamist type bases are being stormed by protesters.

:unsmith: I always knew Libya would fight back against any attempts of subverting their victory.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Lascivious Sloth posted:

When has training outside forces- who are not loyal to your own ideals- in special guerrilla warfare operations ever been a good idea.

When they oppose the Soviets? That worked out great for us, didn't it?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Smudgie Buggler posted:

I'm far from a huge fan of the way America wields its military and geopolitical strength, but you can't deny the fact that America doesn't go out of its way to hurt people who aren't violent and dangerous. When it does hurt people who aren't a threat to anyone, and it is admittedly often, it's pretty much always because they missed what they were aiming for. The people who aimed an RPG in the general direction of Ambassador Stevens and Vilerat hit exactly what they were aiming for: four people trying to do some good for Libya and the Arab World in general who had done absolutely no harm whatsoever to their attackers or anybody the attackers care about.

Essentially America is a gigantic retard with lots of knives.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Do you think the Islamists will gently caress off or will they come back and try to get into some sort of position of power when the next elections roll around?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Railroad ministers are always causing problems. YOU GOT ONE loving JOB, MAN! STOP loving IT UP!

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

It's great how this guy basically is telling the country "I embezzled everything meant for public transport and can afford to give away $100k in a country where giving away $1000 makes you rich"

If there's anything that makes you a good Muslim I'm pretty sure stealing money to live extravagantly is not up there!

I think you'll usually find there's a pretty big disconnect between being a good, pious Muslim and getting pissed off/calling for the deaths of others when they commit a perceived slight against Islam.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

VanSandman posted:

There isn't anything anyone here could have done, right?
Cuz I got a bad feeling the poor guy isn't going to come back from this one.

How is convincing this guy not to do something dumb out responsibility? I mean, I don't think he's going to be directly fighting against Syrian forces. From what I understand he provides medical assistance.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Brown Moses posted:

I think that might have been another bread queue that was targeted, gives you an idea of what the Syrian Army is like when it comes to dealing with civilians in areas that are rebelling.

:smith: It's Sarajevo all over again.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Brown Moses posted:

It highlights what will be a major problems even if Assad goes, those Jihadists aren't going to pack up and go home once things are over, expect a lot of fighting between them and the FSA. And that's not to mention the Kurdish issues.

I dunno, you didn't see quite as many jihad fighters stay behind in Afghanistan when it descended into civil war between the various militias. Most foreign fighters saw the mission (pushing the Soviets out) as being complete and left. But yeah, I think it will be interesting to see exactly how this goes.

Davincie posted:

Interesting to see so many Chechens. Also does the fact that the foreign brigades are called Jihadis mean they are all of the religious kind? I immagine some of them, like the Turks mentioned should be more secular right?

It should also be noted that just because someone is fighting in a jihad, doesn't make them a fundamentalist.

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 23, 2012

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Kombotron posted:

US media rarely shows visceral images of war in the news. They don't show dead US soldiers either. I am sure someone has a theory as to why that is.

The Vietnam War put a stop to that. It's hard for politicians and generals to sell a war to the people back home when the media is showing footage of entire villages being napalmed and US troops being dragged onto helicopters in body bags. The military is now keeps a very close eye on what they allow the media to see and report, restricting them to a sterilized version of war.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
It's because it doesn't appeal to Americans. The news in America might as well be considered part of the entertainment industry.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Benzoyl Peroxide posted:

I don't have a TV so most of my news comes from the BBC website and BBC Radio 4, and I get the i in fits and bursts. From that, it doesn't look to me like we cover the middle east stuff all that much, but there have now been two series on BBC 3 of a programme called Our War. It's interviews and helmet footage taken by British troops in Afghanistan and pretty interesting stuff. It's got British casualties in the field and even, if I remember right, had a little girl being shot by Afghan army guys accidentally. Has there been an equivalent show to this in the States?

Nope. The most we see of da troops is usually a shout out from one of their bases with them all hanging out and having fun.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Moses, what do you think of Syrian's chemical weapons? Evidently they've been getting moved around lately and the Assad regime has stated that they'd only be used in the event of foreign intervention, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if they were used as a last resort.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

cgeq posted:

Wouldn't moving those weapons around make it more possible for the rebels to get their hands on them? Or do those convoys have special plot armor?

A chemical weapons cache was allegedly moved from a depot in Damascus to the port city of Tartus. Tartus happens to be host to the only Russian naval port in the Mediterranean, so it's possible they could be giving the weapons to the Russians to ensure nobody will try to gently caress with them.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
What are the chances Iran will give up on Assad? As far as I understand things Syria is a major conduit through which Iran supplies Hezbollah. Would they be willing to lose Syria?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
So is Caro being detained in Turkey?

Is Caro like legit mentally unstable or is he autistic?

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 1, 2012

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Alright, who's dicking around?

IDF shoots down drone that penetrated Israeli airspace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Section 31 posted:

So these Qatari and Saudi slaves must ask permission from their American grandmaster first are too afraid to do things on their own and need to ask their "protector" first?

Once a slave, is always a slave

It's more like they'd prefer not to piss off other nations (IE Russia) without at least having the backing of a nation that could militarily equal Russia.

Charlz Guybon posted:

The regular army has much heavier arms and real training. The officer corp must be absolutely incompetent to be getting creamed like that. Low morale is also likely a factor.
They're trained for fighting a conventional war against Israel, not an insurgency. And if you're an officer it's likely you got there because of your loyalty to the regime, not so much your competency.

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 7, 2012

• Locked thread