Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fairly passive
Nov 4, 2012

Not as productive as I should be
Today's Arab News here in Saudi suggests donating to NCB account 2310000020188888000100 to help Syrian children. Is this a decent charity or are there better ways to help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fairly passive
Nov 4, 2012

Kaal posted:

http://www.alriyadh.com/en/article/763257/Saudi-Campaigns-Cash-Donations-For-Syrian-People-Reach-More-Than-SR-552-Million

This is what you would be donating to - a state-run Saudi campaign. Honestly I think there are much better ways of helping the Syrian people than donating money directly to Saudi Arabia and getting yourself placed on a watch list.

What list would that be? A list of people the Saudi government approves of? It is in my interest to be on such a list.

Fairly passive
Nov 4, 2012

Xandu posted:

A list of people who donate cash that may or may not end up in the hands of armed groups in Syria.

Mmmm. You may well be right, although I really hope you're not. UNHCR probably a safer bet.

Fairly passive
Nov 4, 2012

I'm not a citizen, just a resident with a Saudi bank account.

Fairly passive
Nov 4, 2012

That shamal (it was a shamal, wasn't it, correct me if I'm wrong) a few weeks back was pretty intense here in Abqaiq. I went outside to get a feel of it and within minutes my lips and eyes were caked in dust. Lost quite a few trees, too, mostly those not particularly suited to this environment. I'm told it was one of the worst in living memory.

I'm relocating to Dhahran soon إن شاء الله, looking forward to both a considerably (~100x) shorter commute and a reduced risk of death-by-road-accident.

Widestancer, what's it like being 4th gen? My recently retired boss told me his daughter raised some eyebrows at college as a blonde all-American type with a Saudi flag on her wall and fully fluent in Arabic.

Fairly passive
Nov 4, 2012

I think the slogan on that kid's t-shirt reads 'broke fast without legitimate reason'

I won't be seen breaking fast in public. Far too risky.

Fairly passive
Nov 4, 2012

I've kind of stalled in my study of Gulf & Najdi Arabic in recent months. Perhaps it's time I started learning a bit of classical as well. Never know, it might come in handy.

Fairly passive
Nov 4, 2012

All this fuss over someone considering a life in a liberal free for all like the UAE! I daren't ask what you think of someone taking a pay check in Saudi.

Fairly passive
Nov 4, 2012

I was going to go to Al Ahsa next week. I have changed my mind.

http://www.arabnews.com/saudi-arabia/news/654811

Fairly passive
Nov 4, 2012

أذكر الله
Is one I saw written on roadsides a lot in Madina Province. In Eastern Province I'm more likely to see
استغفر الله
Often on small signs. For cars and houses,
ما شاء الله تبارك الله
Is the most popular.

Fairly passive
Nov 4, 2012

A feeling of deep unease here. Stay dull, Dhahran - Dammam - Khobar.

Fairly passive
Nov 4, 2012

suboptimal posted:

What's going on? Is this related to the US closing its embassy and consulates?

I don't know and yes. Many things are closed or mysteriously cancelled.

Fairly passive
Nov 4, 2012

Another day of mysterious closures and paranoia here in Ash Sharqiyah. Stormy weather isn't helping the mood.

Fairly passive
Nov 4, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

dude can you be more specific about the 'paranoia'? nobody's mentioned anything to me yet.

Some of my fellow westerners seem a little nervous, what with the various closures. Some old-hands have said that the situation is making them think of leaving sooner rather than later.

Fairly passive
Nov 4, 2012

They're a poultice on the world, drawing the pus into one location.

Fairly passive
Nov 4, 2012

The level of recursive conspiracy nonsense I see online, and even in print, is ridiculous. Endless spirals of paranoid misinformation. Reality is usually bleaker, simpler. A dull malignancy.

Fairly passive
Nov 4, 2012

Sitting here in Dhahran watching developments with considerable interest.

Fairly passive
Nov 4, 2012

I'm hoping that the status clarification for Tiran island will eventually open up new scuba opportunities. I've heard it rumoured that the diving around that area there is incredible. Apparently beats both the crowded reefs of Sharm and the places further down the Saudi coast (Yanbu, Rabigh, Farasan Banks etc).

Fairly passive
Nov 4, 2012

That part of the world is rumoured to have better dive sites than nearby Sharm. A shiny resort combining the best aspects of Dubai and Sharm would not be a bad thing. Tourist visits to Nabatean ruins and the wonderful terrain of the Arabian shield would be a bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fairly passive
Nov 4, 2012

Feel free to drop by Riyadh sometime and get a cheeky Nandos.

• Locked thread