Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
We used the Arm's Reach mini until about 6 months or so, when I woke up to my alarm clock making strange noises. Our son was standing up, reaching over the side of the cosleeper & mashing all the buttons he could.

I bought ours off Craigslist for like $50, I don't think I would have paid full retail for something that only lasts such a short while.

Sidecarring a crib is a good option for long term use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
I took Zyrtec D every day before I was pregnant & it was rough weaning off the sudafed during pregnancy. My doctor said it was perfectly safe to continue taking Zyrtec, so maybe adding in just the antihistamine will help you.

Sudafed isn't recommended while breastfeeding because it could dry up your milk just like it dries up your nose. Some women are more sensitive to this, so you might be okay but I wouldn't try going back on it until your supply is established.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
If she doesn't have any special medical conditions, you might have a couple of sick visit co-pays. If she gets croup you're in for an ER visit, but there's no way to predict if that'll happen or not.

All of her well visit checks & vaccinations should be fully covered under your insurance with no co-pay.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

elle vee posted:

Thanks! I didn't know that.

Check with your insurance of course, but unless you're in a grandfathered plan all preventative care, which includes the every 3 month infant well checks, should be fully covered.

We only had to pay for sick visits & trips to the urologist for my son's multicystic dysplastic kidney.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
Unless you really really trust that your friend's seat has never been in an accident I would keep the new one. A stroller doesn't need to be new, but I wouldn't trust anyone except an immediate family member to give me a used car seat.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Palisader posted:

Buy some Dreft (or equivalent) to wash the 500 adorable outfits you'll end up getting.

There's no need to buy special detergent, especially Dreft. That stuff has such a strong smell I can't believe it's made for babies.

We just used what we use for all of our clothes, All Free & Clear.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
One of the moms in the Facebook group was hospitalized for a large portion of her pregnancy, also had the TTTS surgery, her girls came early & were in NICU for awhile.

Her girls are thriving & she's been able to pump, nurse & bottle feed them. So it can be done, it just takes work.

In fact, you should join our Facebook group so you can get information from all our twin parents.

Go here & leave your email & one of the mods will add you.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/455100177924727/

GoreJess fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 9, 2016

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

SquirrelFace posted:

Now if you want something super scary that you really have no control over because it's an emergency look up 'emergency manual removal of the placenta'

Or don't if you like sleeping :suicide:

When your doctor says, "I'm going to have to go in, the placenta isn't detaching" DO NOT LOOK DOWN. Also, pray that you have an epidural & didn't do the whole thing med free like I did.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

the_chavi posted:

Hemorrhoids.

Whoa.

Was not prepared for this.

The thread is named the way it is for a reason ;)

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

KasioDiscoRock posted:

Through a series of events, I recently learned that counterfeit baby products, specifically Ergobaby carriers, is a huge problem, and find myself in possession of one of them (confirmed by Ergobaby customer service to indeed be a fake).

I got it free from a friend who also bought it secondhand, so I'm not concerned at all about that aspect of it, but now that I have it, what the hell do I do with it?

I know some people would have no issues with knowingly using a knockoff (I am not one of those people), but I worry that if I pass it on to anyone else with the information that it is counterfeit, that it may later end up again in the hands of an unsuspecting mother who's child may end up injured because this thing hasn't had any sort of safety testing.

Should I write in permanent marker on it that it's counterfeit so no one can accidentally be swindled by it? Should I just destroy it?

I would cut the straps off & trash it. The counterfeit carriers aren't tested, so they could fail, which would be really awful.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
I planned to take a week off before my son's due date to use up the rest of my paid vacation time before the end of the year (due date was in December). Instead, he came a week & a half early & I didn't get my planned time to relax a little & clean up the house a bit. Husband called work when they opened to let them know I wouldn't be in because I was in the hospital.

There's no reason why you have to stop working before you go into labor unless you're having complications or just want to not work for a little bit.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
No, no you may not.

You need a convertible seat that will stay rear facing until she's at least 2.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
The cloth diapering advice from the first posts is really old. From what I’ve heard from other parents pocket diapers have gotten a lot cheaper & easier to wash.

Someone with a younger baby who exclusively cloth diapered should be able to give some better advice. That person is not me.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
In addition to extra clothes for baby, make sure each of the adults have an extra shirt. If baby has a massive blowout or spit up episode chances are its going all over you too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Tamarillo posted:

E: question for breastfeeding - what do people typically wear on the top half for bed? I've been wearing maternity bras but depending in how full I am and position I'm lying in I end up all over the show with breast pads half out and not where they should be. I also bought a breastfeeding bandeau thing but it's not that comfortable and again fit is variable depending on fullness. I have so far erred away from sleeping on a towel because I'm worried I'll wake up a gross mess.
Its 3:30am, too friggin hot and I'm stuck in uncomfortable bras which aren't fit for purpose when lying down. Magic bullets anyone?

I wore nursing tanks with burp cloths stuffed in them at first. I leaked so much milk overnight that breast pads were a loving joke.

Once my supply settled down a little the washable breast pads worked better for me at night than the disposable ones.