Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

Any advice for someone who can't seem to find a laboratory job despite applying for every lab job within a 45min drive for the past 5 months? I know someone who's applied for 100+ lab jobs after relocating to a new city and hasn't gotten a single callback despite having 5 years of laboratory experience. He did mostly heavy metals testing in water and soil at his old job. Admittedly he's applied for some manufacturing and pharmaceutical lab jobs which are a bit outside of his skill set at the moment but he's applied to a decent number of jobs that sounded perfect for him. He's interested in a more managerial or supervisory role if he can find a position like that as he has experience managing his own lab but has been basically applying for everything vaguely reasonable, including grunt work. He's been networking through local groups and linked-in but is going to step his game up actively seeking out and connecting with hiring managers from the companies he's applying to through linked-in. He's reached out to everyone he knows professionally and has also gone to a local career center for help making sure his resume is good. He's now working to make sure he hits ATS keywords on his resumes by using a ATS scanning service and really working to tailor them for each job.

Anything else he should try that he's not?

Management sees non-PhD lab work as mundane, and therefor prefers to automate, outsource, or just train someone from scratch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

Could you go into this a little bit more? Like I understand industry wide that automating or outsourcing is common but a lot of the positions he's applying for are ones that he exactly fits the bill for. Definitely he's applied for some low tier jobs and some that are a bit of a reach as well, but most of them want 3+ years of lab experience, which is what he brings to the table. So its not that they're aren't any reasonable looking laboratory positions being posted, which could be explained by automation/outsourcing if that were the case, but that he's applying to lots of positions that fit his skillset and not hearing anything back. I understand just wanting to train someone from scratch for the low tier positions but that doesn't work for position that require years of lab experience.

Does anyone have advice on what he should look into if he chooses to further his education? He's most interested in bioremediation so it seems like a M.S. environmental engineering might be the best to meet that goal, but he's considered a masters in chemistry too. I'm also curious what education is needed to fit the bill for more lucrative laboratory positions.

For entry level, they want a new college grad with high GPA to train.

For 3+ years, especially if they have a lot of applicants, they will go with someone who’s already used the specific equipment for the specific sample type(protein, cells, small
Molecule, etc). Only way around that is to be internally recommended.

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

Spikes32 posted:

Cost of living, lovely lovely lovely infrastructure (including freeways), not as nice of weather compared to southern california (might be specific to me), tech Bros everywhere, a lack of forward planning by the state/city resulting in a huge class divide (see infrastructure) and general snobbery by everyone there for different reasons.

Sounds like Boston with better weather and higher rent.

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Idk so far Boston’s public transportation seems pretty awesome

I’m sharing this one with the Boston thread.

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

street doc fucked around with this message at 14:25 on May 18, 2021

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

Sundae posted:

If there are any good pharma forums, I don't know about them. I used to get some info from biofind once in a while, but they've been shuttered for like a decade now. The only other one I know is CafePharma, and it's a shithole so deep you'd think it was a 4chan side-project.

The comment section for ‘in the pipeline’ blog is great. Not exactly a forum, but one of the better communities out there. And highly informed.

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

Lyon posted:

It’s very different technology wise but LIMS is LIMS. As long as you know what problems it can solve and which ones it can’t I think you’d be fine in a business analyst type role and if the company is willing to train you then you’d pick up LabVantage fast and could be an admin pretty quickly.

We’ve been absolutely demolishing LabWare and StarLIMS and both will probably cease to exist as real companies in the not so distant future and will probably just ride out their support contracts for a decade.

Is benchling getting into the LIMS business?

Also, career wise. Biotech is nuts right now. Had a ton of interviews, picked a great company. This euphoria can’t last much longer, so make a career move while you can.

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

Bastard Tetris posted:

Get money get paid

We’ll never have a job market this great ever again. Get that money.

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

Needs to be a way to keep the instrument PC off the network, but with a second networked PC that can be control/Waldo remote into it. Only mouse/keyboard in, only data/screen out.

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

married but discreet posted:

Dear lord I've been failing at the most simple cloning procedure for 3 weeks and now I figure out that an undergrad broke the electroporator 3 weeks ago

Break the undergrad.

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

Lyon posted:

Yeah we may not be number one yet but we will be soon. And the spoiler is very much accurate, business analyst roles are primarily documentation (user requirements, functional requirements, validation, etc.) and customer meetings. The travel is relatively light generally speaking but there’s always a chance for it to jump depending on the project(s) you’re assigned to.

Salary probably ranges from $80k - $120k DOE.

I know an MBA in Boston that would be interested. PM me details.

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

I’m working at the level of a PhD, but it’s so loving hard. Not the science, but the fragility of the career. I have to be great at interviews, great at networking. One bad job and I worry the whole career will dead end.

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

Layoffs are starting to pick up. Hope your employer has solid revenue or giant piles of cash.

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

How’s everyone surviving the biotech recession?

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

Matryoshka SexDoll posted:

How do I get through an indefinite period of 12 hour night-shifts without drinking all the 200 proof ethanol in the fridge

also lol

Use your slow hours to get a masters; then move on.

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

Any opinion on falconware? I don’t believe their RNase free certification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

"RadioPassive" posted:

biotech bros

Words can be painful, RadioPassive.