Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SwivelTits2000
Jan 17, 2007
Retarded

Ommin posted:

I will be in NYC in just over a week with my sister, niece, and nephew.

Are any of those "city passes" worth it? If so, is there one that is better than the others?

We used the Citypass last year and it was quite good. But as the other poster said, make sure you plan your time wisely. Also be aware that there are several similar passes at similar prices. Citypass gives you nine days to do everything in the booklet, while some of the others (New York Pass, I believe) only gives you 24 hours. NY Pass contains more things for the same price, but if you want more than 24 hours, the cost goes up accordingly. Please double check this, though, as we did this about 9 months ago and the policies may have changed.

My cynic self was certain that using Citypass, we'd still have to stand in a special "Citypass only" line and wait just like everyone else. You know, "skip the line ... and wait in another line". Or that there would be some catch at the door, like an add-on processing charge. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that there were no hassles. No extra lines, no extra fees, just every attraction exactly as described. We visited in early October midweek, so the experience may be slightly different during the weekends or peak seasons.

Also, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned The Jane. It's a boutique hotel near the river (Meatpacking district? Chelsea? 113 Jane St, one block north of 12th St) done up in a very, VERY nice distressed Victorian style. The staff was outstanding and the price was unbeatable. The place has so much character: The rooms are tiny, like early-20th-century passenger ship cabins. Your room is twice the size of a cot. You have room to stand, and that's it. The electric shuts off when you leave. Your key (which you also use to turn on the electric) is this gigantic, old-style skeleton key that the front desk will keep when you leave. Most rooms have shared bathrooms (unless you upgrade to a suite), but the place was immaculate 24x7. The hotel has a lot of history -- the Titanic survivors stayed there upon arrival. In the 1970s and 1980s it was a flophouse for junkies and hookers. It's a few block to most subway stations, but the neighborhood is great.

http://www.thejanenyc.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwivelTits2000
Jan 17, 2007
Retarded
The girlfriend and I will be visiting this coming weekend. We're staying at New York Lofts Hostel, which is at 249 Varet (near Varet & Bogart) in Brooklyn. I'm told the neighborhood is "sketchy", but that means one thing if it's coming from a suburbanite and something else entirely from someone who actually lives in NY.

From what I can tell, it doesn't seem any worse than any other part of any other large city. It looks like your standard-issue situational awareness and common sense will be sufficient. If anything, the area looks fairly tame. Any feedback from goons in the area? We'll be doing some late night returns; is it a safe walk from the Morgan Ave L at Harrison & Bogart?

Honestly, it looks like it's all iPhones and Beards from Google Street View.

SwivelTits2000
Jan 17, 2007
Retarded
Hah. This place is hipster central. We passed a gaggle of beards and iPhones, and someone was blasting the Portlandia theme. Ironically, of course.

We took the skyride over to Roosevelt Island today. Though Roosevelt Island doesn't necessarily stand out for anything in particular (at least no more so than anything else you'll find in the city), the tram ride is worth a trip. Totally free if you have an MTA unlimited ride pass. Plenty of unique photo ops during the short ride, too.

SwivelTits2000
Jan 17, 2007
Retarded

Blamestorm posted:

any particular recommendations for restaurants, bars etc? I think we lean away from too touristy, but I'd still like to give her as special an experience as I can manage

Well, what are you into?

NYC is one of the biggest cities on the planet. It's one of the few places in the world where you can step off the train and find something new and exciting within minutes. There are hundreds of thousands of "nice" and "special" things to do, but you have to give us something to work with. What's awesome for me might suck for you.

There's always old standards like Please Don't Tell.

SwivelTits2000 fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Dec 9, 2012

SwivelTits2000
Jan 17, 2007
Retarded

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced hotel in Manhattan/Brooklyn? My friend and I are going over Memorial Day weekend and the person who we were supposed to stay with can't host us anymore. Ideally we would like something as cheap as possible but in a good enough location that we can still travel around with relative ease.

The Jane is always my go-to hotel. The rooms are tiny but overflowing with character. The bathrooms are shared but always immaculate. The staff is old-school friendly, as in they'll see you coming and rush out to open the door for you. It's located in the west village. The nearest train station is a five-minute walk.

At $130 / night it's not the cheapest, but you probably don't want to go a whole lot cheaper:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotel_Carter,_Manhattan

If you absolutely can't dig $130 a night, start looking into hostels. You'll have no problem finding a GOOD hostel for $50 - $75 / night. You'll sacrifice some creature comforts but you'll make new friends and have a blast if you're under 40. Even moreso if you're under 30.

SwivelTits2000
Jan 17, 2007
Retarded

QuantumDeep posted:

Hello all. I'm looking at going to New York this coming weekend (probably Saturday afternoon - Tuesday afternoon). I'm looking for recommendations on hostels to stay in. I'll be traveling alone and am looking forward to exploring the city alone, but meeting some new people would be awesome and probably easier in a hostel.

Sorry it's a little late, but for future reference:

Hosteling International has a location up around 103 & Amsterdam that is cheap and reasonable. By "reasonable" I mean that it's technically adequate. There's hot water, in-room lockers, organized tours, and a high level of safety. The building is also interesting and it has the biggest age range of hostelers I've ever seen. The bathrooms are outdated and cramped with poor ventilation. The heating makes it an inferno all year long; you will sleep with your window open when it's 20 below outside. But I still recommend it as an absolute minimum standard because the surrounding neighborhood is great. You'll get the true NY experience of having everything you need within a block or two. Restaurants, barbers, c-stores, hole-in-the-wall restaurants, dive bars, chain stores, you name it, walk no more than three blocks in any direction and you'll find it. There are two subway stations within easy walking distance on Broadway.

A few weeks ago we stayed in New York Loft in Brooklyn. Definitely much better-looking than HI, but it seemed to lack the friendly community of HI. On the other hand, there's a bangin' pizza place just around the corner and the subway is two blocks away. The bathrooms and common areas were MUCH nicer. There's a community courtyard where they serve free meals (guests only) and there's a decent breakfast / smoothie type place right across the street. I think guests also have gym privileges at the gym across the street, but I'm not sure. It's a few blocks away from the pretentious hipster district so the attitude is minimal.

Check out hostelworld.com. Many of the reviews are shills, but you can still get a decent feel for the places.

SwivelTits2000
Jan 17, 2007
Retarded

munchy box posted:

I will be staying in NY for around 6 nights the first week in January and would rather stay in a hostel given that I'll be travelling alone - can anyone recommend a nice, social one in a central-ish location? Also, is there anything particularly worth seeing at that time of year?

New York Loft in Brooklyn is great. Decent neighborhood, great outdoor area. The Morgan Ave station (L) is two blocks away and is a safe walk 24 hours a day. Between that and the hostel are a few small grocers, at least one cafe, a bangin' pizza joint (Robertas), a live music venue, and a hell of a dive bar (King's County). You've got a dash of hipsterism here without being obnoxious. Walk towards Flushing Ave and there are a few more no-frills diners, bars, and ethnic restaurants worth checking out. Just remember to go EAST on Flushing; go west and you head towards a rougher area.

If you want to stay in Manhattan check out the Bowery House. I don't remember the rates but the accommodations and neighborhood are decent.

If all else fails, Hosteling International up around 103 & Amsterdam (UWS) is always my emergency standby choice. The crowd is always extremely friendly and extremely social, people are always grouping up to go out and do stuff, and the place was clean. My only complaint here is that the bathrooms were majorly outdated. They were badly ventilated so in the morning it would be a humid, poo poo-smelling jungle in there. It has a small grocer across the street, and your usual assortment of ethnic restaurants nearby. Walk one block over and you've got Broadway with its Starbucks and KFCs.

New York Lofts is one of the best hostels I've ever stayed in except for the long-closed L Hostel. You can't go wrong there.

SwivelTits2000
Jan 17, 2007
Retarded

munchy box posted:

Excellent, thanks for this and the other shout for Bowery House - was aiming for Manhattan but New York Loft seems nice, I'll probably flip a coin or something.

Just so you know, this is the Bowery House I was talking about :

http://www.theboweryhouse.com/

This is the Bowery House the other guy was talking about :

http://www.whitehousehotelofny.com/
(that seems to be down now - try http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d261410-Reviews-Bowery_s_Whitehouse_Hotel-New_York_City_New_York.html

Never stayed in Bowery White House, so I can't comment on that. Just wanted to make sure you knew they were two different places, as they both look VERY different.

Enjoy your trip!

SwivelTits2000
Jan 17, 2007
Retarded

Blue_monday posted:

I'm looking to go to NY to see Hedwig and some other shows in May or so. Can anyone recommend me a hotel in Manhattan? I was looking at the St. James Hotel which is about $800 for a week or so. I'm not overly picky as long as its not too far away from that area and I'm looking to find somewhere less than $800 if it exists. I would much rather not have to share amenities.

Less than $800 for a week, and you don't want to share amenities? In Manhattan? That's a mighty tall order. If that's $800 for 7 days in Manhattan, and it includes taxes & fees, that's a very sweet deal. The Jane should clock in just barely under that, but you'll have shared bathrooms. Granted they're very nice and immaculate shared bathrooms, but shared nonetheless.

SwivelTits2000
Jan 17, 2007
Retarded
We're planning on spending a few days in NYC as part of our honeymoon. We're going to be staying at Z Hotel in Long Island City. IIRC this is a fairly safe area, but it's been at least a year since I've spent any quality time in the area -- can anyone confirm? There's an hourly shuttle into Manhattan, but the Queensboro Plaza station is only a few blocks away. Is that a reasonable walking area?

We're heading in in mid-September. Dates aren't final yet. Are there any seasonal festivals worth checking out? Craft brews, historical tours, industrial architecture, anything like that?

SwivelTits2000
Jan 17, 2007
Retarded

screenwritersblues posted:

If the two of you are into museums at all, I highly recommend MuseumHack, which is a unhighlights tour of The Met that runs Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, but there is a Tuesday tour one and a while. The tour will show you the stuff that you would normally pass up or miss if you were walking around by yourself. It's $40 but it's worth it. They also run a longer tour that lasts 3 hours (the normal one is 2 hours) and is done on Friday nights during the met's late night. It's $80 and has either champagne or beer before hand.

The feast of san genaro should be going on at that time too, that's always a fun thing to experience if you haven't.

MuseumHack looks VERY interesting - thanks! And for some reason I thought San Genaro was in October, but you're right, it's right around the time we'll be there. Here's hoping the calendar lines up.

What was the name of the performance art that is a self-paced walk through an "abandoned" hotel? I can visualize the website but I can't remember what it's called.

SwivelTits2000
Jan 17, 2007
Retarded

EL BROMANCE posted:

Sounds like Sleep No More.

That's it! Thanks!

inklesspen posted:

It's not a fantastic neighborhood, but it's no slum either. As long as you have even the tiniest amount of common sense, you should be fine.

Exactly what I was hoping to hear.

SwivelTits2000
Jan 17, 2007
Retarded

Sleep no more is awesome. Just don't count on being together.

I heard it's easy to get caught up and go off onto your own thing, so we'll be ready.

Sadly I just read it's closing in May.

SwivelTits2000
Jan 17, 2007
Retarded

Where's you read that? According to their twitter, they are currently only booking through Memorial Day. This means that they are probably going to add more dates eventually, which means that it might be around in October for you and your wife.

Well, fingers crossed. I saw a comment on their Twitter feed where someone asked them if they are indeed closing in May, and they basically said "we'll post updates on Facebook". And their website says they're booking through May 26.

Hopefully your take is correct and they'll still be around.

SwivelTits2000
Jan 17, 2007
Retarded

freebooter posted:

Me and my girlfriend are going to be in NYC for the first two weeks of June. We were planning on staying in Manhattan, but looking at Brooklyn, it seems like we could easily save $50 a night which adds up to $700. I have the foreigner's opinion that you JUST HAVE TO stay in Manhattan, but is that true? Is it $700 worth of true?

Definitely not true. In my experience your concentration of subway stations, restaurants, coffee shops, tourist traps, etc is much, much denser in Manhattan than it is in the surrounding boroughs. However, this can be blown away depending on where exactly you're staying. Go with whichever location you like the looks / features of best. Consider how far each is from what you want to do. Look carefully at the surrounding neighborhoods for stores / restaurants / etc that interest you. Don't worry about whether it's Brooklyn or Manhattan, worry about how close it is to where you want to be. Just because it's in Manhattan doesn't automatically mean it's any better or worse, and the same with Brooklyn.

Maybe post the address / neighborhood area of where you're considering and we can give you a little more insight on the area. Personally I always stay at The Jane in the meatpacking district, and I'm trying out Z Hotel in Long Island City this fall.

SwivelTits2000
Jan 17, 2007
Retarded

Hey SwivelTits2000, Sleep No More just started booking through August, so there's hope that there might be more shows added in October. Check around July to see if they add more.

Awesome - thanks!

inklesspen posted:

In that price range, I'd head out of the theatre district and stay in some cool hotel like Jane Hotel.

I'm a little late, but seconding The Jane. It's an experience and I mean that in a good way. It's our standard go-to hotel every time we're in town. We've tried a few other places but The Jane always delivers.

Digger posted:

Also a list of cool galleries, experiences and bars would be appreciated.

The Roosevelt Island sky tram at night can be amazing. If you have an MTA multi-day pass it's also free. Granted there isn't much to do on Roosevelt Island but the view and experience are worth it. Even though it's kind of touristy it's nowhere on the scale of say 30 Rock.

Also I know Webster Hall gets viewed as some hyper-touristy meat market but the venue has a tremendous amount of history behind it. If there's a decent show playing there it's worth a trip. If you go on a Friday / Saturday night you're going to get the drunken bro crowd, so sit those nights out. Unless it's pouring. If you hit on a rainy Saturday night, most of the "brahs" stay home and Circus' theatrics can be an experience.

Just bring earplugs because holy poo poo.

SwivelTits2000 fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwivelTits2000
Jan 17, 2007
Retarded
We'll be visiting for my birthday in early October. Can someone recommend a kick-rear end place to get pancakes? I'm serious: that's my all-time favorite food and we normally do really well by finding hole-in-the-wall off-the-beaten-path diners, but I'd love to hear suggestions. Price is not a concern (if some place makes a $100 pancake, I'm in), but attire is. We're jeans-and-flannel types so wherever we go has to be casual. I'm less interested in 5-star celebrity breakfast spots and more interested in some place 45 minutes out of the way in Queens.

TL/DR: Pancakes. Price not a factor. Casual dress definitely a factor.

• Locked thread