Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
It's still too far off, but I might as well start getting ideas going since I'm going to kinda start planning it soon.

In September, my cousin is getting married and my family is coming up from Texas for it. My one female cousin and her husband, who got married earlier this year, are planning on coming up for the week I believe and as it turns out, her husband has never been out of Texas. So, being the experienced New York Tourist, I go in at least once a month to walk around by myself, I offered to take them in one day.

I assume that they are either flying in on a Saturday or Sunday, so that gives us either Monday, Wednesday, or Thursday to go in, 9/11 happens to fall on that Tuesday, so that's out of the question and I have the rehearsal dinner on Friday for the wedding on Saturday.

I know that they are going to want to go to the top of the Empire State building, are we better off buying tickets in advanced if we want to go or are we better off buying them the day of.

Also, what would be some cool things, besides Times Square, because I know that I have to take him there, because he's never see it before, that a person who has never been to NYC to experience.

I'm thinking about taking them downtown after doing the "touristy" stuff. Is this a smart idea or should I just stick to Midtown since he's never really been to the city.

Finally, should I have the two of them make a list of things that they would like to see or is this not a smart idea.

Also how safe is Central Park? I have a feeling that he might want to see and I never really had the urge to go there.

I don't think that they want to go to a Broadway show, so I'm not really looking into that right now, if it comes up, then we'll talk about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

bam thwok posted:

Is this some kind of superstition thing?

Where do you mean by downtown? The Village? Chinatown/Little Italy? The financial district? There's touristy stuff to do all over the place. All of those will be pretty cool culture shocks to a Texas recluse.

No, not a superstition thing, it's just going to be crazy that day. The security will be higher than normal and it's just going to be crazier than normal with all the relatives of the victims and everyone who whats to see the Memorial on that day will be there. So I don't really feel like dealing with the crowds that day. Unless it's the only day that they can go, I personally don't want to deal with the city that day.

I was thinking mostly the village and some of the LES, possibily the former site of CBGBs, because I know where it is now. I was thinking lunch at the Grey Dog Cafe over on Mullberry, but I'll leave it up to them. If they want to go get lunch at one of the little cafes in Little Italy, then I'll do that. I also want to take them to the Strand, because it's something that everyone should see.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Chin Strap posted:

Going to be in NYC next week. How busy is the 4th of July week?

It shouldn't be too busy the days before and after, but the 4th itself is going to be pretty crazy. People come from all over to see the Macy's fireworks and it gets pretty pack along the water. Basically people start getting their spots in the morning and don't move. From what I understand, they close the Westside highway down so that pedestrian traffic can watch the fireworks.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
So the ball has started rolling on taking my cousin's husband, who as never been out of Texas, to the city for the first time in his life. So far, he has said that he wants to go to Times Square, the WTC site and go inside and he's currently looking for a Firehouse with an ambulance (he's an paid EMT down there, so seeing something like that, is going to impress him), but I don't think that going to find one like that, unless someone can direct us to one.

I plan on taking him to the feast of San Gennaro for lunch, since that would be some that he wouldn't experience anywhere else and then doing whatever. I plan on taking them to the Strand, because I think that would be something interesting and besides that I like to stop there on the way home.

It should be a good time, considering that he's going with someone who knows their way around and not like last time when his wife, his sister, one of their boyfriends, and a friend from Texas got lost seven years ago when we graduated high school.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Leonard Pine posted:

I'm going to be in New York for a few days in April. It's my first trip but I'm not really interested in the big stuff - can anyone recommend any smaller, interesting art galleries or libraries, or places to hear soul/gospel/cajun music? Recommendations for bigger shops where I can get second hand books and comics would also be welcome as I'd like to try and track down some older Chas Addams stuff :)

Rashomon posted:

My favorite bookstores in NY are Three Lives & Co., which is on 10th St. (one of the most beautiful streets in the village!) and of course Strand, which is just a couple blocks down of Union Square. They're relatively close to each other, actually, an easy walk unless it's raining. Three Lives is a great little boutique and almost everything in there is interesting, and Strand is a huge/famous used bookstore with good prices and is really fun to wander through. The Housing Works bookstore is also cool. I don't know anything about comics; there's a comic book store a few blocks north of Strand but I don't know if it's any good or not.

Forbidden Planet is the one that you're thinking of. It's really good too. It's the second best behind Midtown. It moved to it's current location about year ago and it has gotten a lot better, mainly because there's more floor space. It doesn't have a lot of older stuff, but it's still pretty cool. Midtown Comics, which is right near Times Square is where you what to go.

Also, Rashoman, how is Three Lives? I'm thinking about heading over there next month so that can start the book store tour. I have St. Mark's, Three Lives, and Jackson McNally on my list. I've been to The Strand and Shakespeare and Co., which I hate because of the staff. If you know anything about the others, then that would help too.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Shane-O-Mac posted:

My girlfriend and I will be spending 3 or 4 days in the city starting Oct 25th. We'll be staying in the Upper East Side and exploring to the south. Are there any interesting Halloween events happening that weekend? I'm looking for an excuse to bring this on our trip.

There's the Village Halloween Parade.

http://www.halloween-nyc.com/

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I'm heading into NYC on Friday and have to get up to The Met by 10:00 Am for a 10:15 tour. I'm catching an 8:12 out of the train station near my home in NJ. I then have to walk to Grand Central from Penn, which is fine, and catch the 6 train up town. However my question is where is the 6 train in Grand Central? I've looked for a map to help me find it, but I've had no luck in finding on. Can anyone help me out at all or is it pretty easy to find?

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

bam thwok posted:

Well first, don't walk from Penn to Grand central. That'll kill ~25-30 minutes when the subway will take half of that.

Take the 1, 2, or 3 uptown towards times square (should be one stop), then transfer to the Shuttle (will be labeled as "S"), then follow the signs to the 6 uptown (you can also take the 4 or the 5, which are express, and will just slightly overshoot the stop you're planning to take to the Met.

If you DO decide to walk it, the subway entrance will be indoors at the southeast side of the station. On google maps, it'll be in the corner where 42nd street meets the elevated park ave viaduct (ground-level is called the "42nd street passage"). There's an entrance there, and the subway will be immediately on the right.

If you enter the station from a different point, go to the main concourse (the place with the central clock and star mural on the giant ceilings. You'll know). Look for the Apple store, and walk underneath it on the right-hand side. The arch above that passage should read "Lexington Passage, 4,5,6,7 Shuttle", or something similar. Take a right once you go through, and the stairs/escalators to the subway will be on your left-hand side near the exit doors at the end of the hall.

Holy crap, this is what I'm going to do. Thank you so much.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

TheEye posted:

Yeah, this is your best bet if you don't need to go to Grand Central for some reason. Walking from Penn Station over to 33rd & Park takes less than 15 minutes. And then you can wave since I'm right by that 6 stop.

bam thwok posted:

Alternatively, you can skip grand central altogether, and just walk from Penn a few avenues over to whichever station with a 6 is closest. 33rd and Park, I think. Depending on the weather, this could be a lot simpler.

This is much better. I'm gonna do this instead. It's gonna be a lot faster too from the look of it.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

bam thwok posted:

Eh, I think it'll take about the same amount, since during rush hour you won't have to wait more than a minute or so for transfers. But just walking to the 6 will be loads less complicated. Do that. Unless you want to go to the Zaro's/Junior's at grand central or something.

Yeah, I had no plans to do anything but get to the train and head uptown. I brought my ticket in advanced, so I have to do is drop off my coat and backpack and then head in and meet my tour group.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I'd like to thank bam thwok and TheEye for that awesome suggestion on getting to the 6 on Friday. I might have waved to TheEye, but I don't know which building he was in. I got to The Met with plenty of plenty of time to spare, I didn't realize that they don't open until 10 sharp.

Also, on that note, I strongly suggest that anyone who whats to see The Met from a different angle, go do Museumhack, a smaller independent tour that isn't associated with The Met. It isn't a tour of the normal stuff that you would see at The Met, it's a unhighlights tour as they call it. You'll see stuff like chamber pots, Robert Lehman's couch and creepy rear end paintings, and other things that you'll miss walking around on your own. The company is getting ready to start another set of tours at The American Museum of Natural History soon, so you'll have more choices. From what I understand, they eventually want to end up in the Frick Collection, the Guggenheim and also The MoMA too.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

SwivelTits2000 posted:

We're planning on spending a few days in NYC as part of our honeymoon. We're going to be staying at Z Hotel in Long Island City. IIRC this is a fairly safe area, but it's been at least a year since I've spent any quality time in the area -- can anyone confirm? There's an hourly shuttle into Manhattan, but the Queensboro Plaza station is only a few blocks away. Is that a reasonable walking area?

We're heading in in mid-September. Dates aren't final yet. Are there any seasonal festivals worth checking out? Craft brews, historical tours, industrial architecture, anything like that?

If the two of you are into museums at all, I highly recommend MuseumHack, which is a unhighlights tour of The Met that runs Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, but there is a Tuesday tour one and a while. The tour will show you the stuff that you would normally pass up or miss if you were walking around by yourself. It's $40 but it's worth it. They also run a longer tour that lasts 3 hours (the normal one is 2 hours) and is done on Friday nights during the met's late night. It's $80 and has either champagne or beer before hand.

The feast of san genaro should be going on at that time too, that's always a fun thing to experience if you haven't.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

SwivelTits2000 posted:

MuseumHack looks VERY interesting - thanks! And for some reason I thought San Genaro was in October, but you're right, it's right around the time we'll be there. Here's hoping the calendar lines up.

What was the name of the performance art that is a self-paced walk through an "abandoned" hotel? I can visualize the website but I can't remember what it's called.

Sleep no more is awesome. Just don't count on being together.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

SwivelTits2000 posted:

I heard it's easy to get caught up and go off onto your own thing, so we'll be ready.

Sadly I just read it's closing in May.

Where's you read that? According to their twitter, they are currently only booking through Memorial Day. This means that they are probably going to add more dates eventually, which means that it might be around in October for you and your wife.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

SwivelTits2000 posted:

Well, fingers crossed. I saw a comment on their Twitter feed where someone asked them if they are indeed closing in May, and they basically said "we'll post updates on Facebook". And their website says they're booking through May 26.

Hopefully your take is correct and they'll still be around.

Let me put it this way. A group of friends and I went about two years ago and it said that it was closing in October of that year. However, as it turns out they added more shows. It's like that to drive the hype up. It's worth it too. Just keep an eye out for more added dates and you should be good.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

My wife and I are looking at flying out for 6 days (including travel) in early June. We're interested in doing the standard stuff - a Broadway play, a visit to central park and the Met, fancy prix fixe lunches, and greasy street food dinners. We have a few questions to start the planning off:
  • Should we aim to visit over a weekend, or would visiting during the week be better?
  • If we want to spend a day out of Manhattan, where should we go? We'd love to have a neighborhood to walk around in that's subway accessible and has good food and neat local shops. The ability to bar hop with $5 drinks would be a major plus.
  • Are there any tall buildings with great views that don't have the wait of the empire state building?
Right now we're just trying to nail down the basic structure of the trip - I'm sure I'll be back with a ton more questions closer to June. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Top of the rock is pretty good and usually has a much shorter wait time than the Empire. Some even say that it has better views, while others don't.

Also if you're planning on doing The Met, take your time and look around. There's a lot of smaller things that you'll miss. If you want you can do a tour through this company called Museumhack (https://www.museumhack.com). They will show you the small things that you will pass by and also might miss if you don't know what you're looking at. They offer a late night tour that runs on Friday nights when the Met is opened late. It's $89, but you can get a drink before hand which is pretty awesome.

For you visit: if you can stay through the weekend (IE: Fly in on a Wednesday and leave on a Monday). The weekend has a lot more stuff going on than during the week. It's also cheaper if you stay through the weekend and also depends on where you plan on flying into.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Hey SwivelTits2000, Sleep No More just started booking through August, so there's hope that there might be more shows added in October. Check around July to see if they add more.

EDIT:

smilingfish posted:

Wife and I are going for a long weekend in August (coming in very late Wednesday night, leaving Sunday afternoon) We're going to see two Broadway shows while we're there, the main reason for our trip. We're staying in Manhattan, but we may want to see some other parts; I've got an aunt that lives in Queens.

What I'm hoping someone can help me with are suggestions for

(A) A fancy, romantic place to eat dinner one night. Cost almost not a factor.
(B) Cheap, tasty places to have lunch. It's New York and we're tourists, so I suppose pizza is required at some point.
(C) Any attractions to see in our non-eating, non-theater-watching time. The wife and I both like museums, we're both quite nerdy, and we like to avoid stuff that's extremely "touristy".

Thanks in advance for any suggestions anyone can give.

A&B) Where are you thinking? NYC is pretty big for things like that.

C) Museum type stuff. Avoid the MoMA and AMNH. As much as I hate to say it, the crowds there are pretty awful. I went to both a few times and the crowds even during a weekday and a weekend are just not fun. Hands down The Met is perfect. While it may seem crowded when you first walk in, the crowds thins out really fast because its so drat big. There's a lot of smaller ones too, like The Frick Collection and also the New Museum. Also, if your down for a tour, I've mentioned this a few times already, Museum Hack will show you the things that you might miss or don't get as much credit as they should. It should but just a little over $40 for a ticket (you just need one reservation and you're good) and they do a late night tour that's a little more expensive, but worth it because you get see a differnt version of The Met.

Also if you two are into comics at all, I strongly suggest that you check out both Forbiden Planet in The Village and Midtown Comics at various locations. They're the best stores in the City and the staff is really helpful when it comes to anything.

screenwritersblues fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 5, 2014

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I've been the both the MoMA and The Met (in fact, I'll be going to The Met again tomorrow) and I can honestly say that the MoMA, while it's good for more current artist, it's pretty small and can be done in an hour and a half. The Met however, can take hours and you won't see it all. The Met is also not just an art museum, it's more of a history museum that an art museum. They've got armor, guns and full on dioramas of old rooms that they brought from other parts of the world.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

nyquil posted:

I would do NJ Transit from Penn to Newark Airtrain. Hell of a lot cheaper.

This. Trains that run on the Northeast Corridor, are just going to Rahway, or run on the North Jersey Coast Line are going to stop at the airport. It's only two stops too. If you can, catch a PATH train to Newark Penn and take the train one stop and you're there. If you already have a metrocard that is.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
So how crazy would I be if I wanted to go into the city the Saturday after Thanksgiving for a few hours? I'm thinking about maybe going in around 10 and coming back around five.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I'm heading to the Whitney on Thursday and I'm heading down to Union Square. I'm going to do as the Whitney recomends and take the L over to 8th and then walk. However, my question is there separate L train lines for east and west trains like there are for the other trains that come into Union Square (IE N, Q, and R) or is it one platform.

• Locked thread