Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!
I know there are some other mind.in.a.box fans here so I wanted to let you know that Stephen Poiss has released the first single from his sideproject, THYX.

It sounds like mind.in.a.box, and I'm perfectly happy with that. I just don't understand the need for spinning off a sideproject that's not going to be vastly different. So he can drop the altered vocals? So he can write the lyrics himself? Does he just want to keep MIAB following its current story from now on? I don't really care, whatever gives me more MIAB. He also said the new album is pretty much finished, but he's shopping around for a new label :fap:

edit: youtube video was removed.

somethingwicked fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 28, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!

Godmachine posted:

I'm going to check out Mesh and De/Vision this Saturday in Chicago. Should prove to be a badass time.

I'm hitting up the Philly show on the 8th. I absolutely adore Iris and I'm excited to finally see Mesh live. De/Vision has some really good songs and it'll be nice to see them, but I stopped following their work for quite awhile. The last couple albums I got of theirs have been kind of boring.

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!

Godmachine posted:

I saw Iris, Mesh, and De Vision last night in Chicago.

Simply an amazing show for such a small venue. The crowd was a bit standoffish at first, but warmed up quickly. I'm not a fan of Mesh and I hadn't heard Iris before. De Vision did a great job on stage, despite being part of the "2 guys and a computer" setup. Music was fantastically paced and many in the crowd in were actually dancing. All in all, the ticket price wasn't absurdly low for the amount of entertainment to be had. Of course, afterwards, I danced my rear end off at Neo then drove an hour and half while trying not to pass out.

If you haven't heard of them and you like synthpop, Iris is amazing!

I got Awakening by Iris back in 2003 on a whim, I think it was actually recommended to me on Amazon based off of previous purchases. I swear that drat album didn't leave my car CD player for a good 6 months, and it would always find its way back in shortly after that. Their followup, Wrath, was just as equally awesome.

When I saw them open up for Seabound I picked up their EP, Hydra. It had been quite a few years after Wrath's release and I was excited by what I heard. That being said, I'm not really that crazy about their latest album, Blacklight. It's not a bad record by any means, but they went in a little bit of a different direction and it's just not working that much for me. Regardless, they're still one of the best synthpop acts out there (in my opinion), and they're going to be the highlight of the show when I see it next Friday.

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!
I went to the Legends of Synthpop show last night in Philly, and God drat.. that was a good show. Iris was amazing, although I would have preferred to hear a better mix of old and new tracks. I've always just been semi-interested in De/Vision, but they put on a good show as well. What really surprised me was how much I enjoyed Mesh. I have three of their albums and I was looking forward to seeing them, but it blew me away how great they sounded live. The crowd was energetic and it seemed like they were all having a good time.

If there's a tour date near you I really suggest checking it out - tickets are cheap!

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!
If we can discuss The Birthday Massacre then we can discuss Rammstein. This 'genre' of music is so loving broad. Discuss!

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!

WickedIcon posted:

Is The Birthday Massacre not particularly well-liked around here or something?

I actually rather like some of their stuff, but I fear that I may have (dun dun DUNNN) bad taste in music.

We spoke about them briefly in the previous thread. My friends poo poo on me for liking them, but there seemed to be quite a few people here that really enjoy TBM.

While I enjoy their new release, I still think Walking With Strangers is a better album. It's a little more varied, which I find amusing considering before they really 'clicked' for me I thought I was listening to the same song over and over.

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!

Armor-Piercing posted:

Blaqk Audio is pretty awesome. I don't really care for AFI at all, but I saw a video of Davey Havok singing on stage with VNV Nation. Then I found an interview where he lists the content of his workout ipod and it includes Covenant, Iris, and (even more surprisingly) Echo Image. Then he put out the Blaqk Audio album and it was good. So I bought it.

Also I think there's an Assemblage 23 remix of Miss Murder.

I was a fan of AFI before I ever got into this type of music, so it was a pleasant surprise to find out Davey was a fan of all these acts that I was. You can tell they are having a really fun time with Blaqk Audio. CexCells has some really good songs on it, but there are some that are just rather blah. I don't recall hearing an Assemblage remix of Miss Murder, but there is a VNV one.

Jade's (of Blaqk Audio) remixes usually suck poo poo. He did a remix of Assemblage 23's 'Spark' and it was terrible. I was hoping it was just a one off thing, but subsequent remixes that I've heard by him have been pretty bad. Oh well - looking forward to their new album this year!

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!

teethgrinder posted:

Die Krupps cancelled opening for FLA/m.i.a.b. in Toronto

Conjure One is opening instead!!

Dismantled is replacing Die Krupps for the US leg of the tour.

I would like to see him live, even though I think he's kind of a douche.

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!
I'm really digging the new Necro Facility V:downs:V

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Yep! Your one-stop shop for half-assed Electric Hellfire Club and Razed in Black covers of totally inappropriate material!

I can't get enough of Inkubus Sukkubus covering Spellbound by Siouxsie and the Banshees.

On a serious note, Razed in Black played his Everything's Gone Green cover during the Triton Festival and it was amazing. I actually do enjoy the majority of his covers.

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!

Doctor Zero posted:

Hahaha that's awesome. When Covenant and And One toured, they came to Detroit. As I was standing there watching And One, I happened to turn and Eskil was standing there, so I shook his hand and told him I DJed at the local Industrial club and that Covenant was very popular there. He smiled, nodded and said "Thank you." then stood there awkwardly for a few moments of silence.

Then I said "That's all, you can go." and he kind of went "oh, um okay..." and wandered off looking confused.

:haw:

I went on the 2010 Gothic Cruise that Covenant played on. Eskil kept himself hidden most of the time but he seemed like a nice fellow when he would show up for some of the late night clubs. I was talking to some of the girls on the trip and they were telling me that a couple times he would go door to door, piss drunk at about 3 in the morning trying to get girls to go swimming with him.

Interesting guy.

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!

Pope Guilty posted:

I knew some folks who went on that cruise a couple of years ago. They came back with video of Rogue singing "Yesterday".

I would have preferred "Yesterday", because I watched Rogue sing Weird Al's "The Saga Begins" (the Star Wars one set to American Pie). Twice. Granted, the song was picked by a younger fan who didn't want to sing alone, so Rogue did it with him. I thought that was kind of nice.

This was about 10 minutes after we were chatting with him and he said he only likes to pick Karaoke songs that fit his 'vocal style'.

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!

teethgrinder posted:

m.i.a.b are so loving good. They're sort of new at live shows though so things go wrong occasionally. They've previously been at the mercy of local mixing boards, but it sounds like they've taken over everything with their latest set up.

edit: here's a video I took with a terrible microphone :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyklrxVpW4E

How do you feel about the way they change up their sound while performing live? Is it too drastic? Are the guitars, etc complimentary or overbearing? I've read complaints from a bunch of people about the changes, but it sounds great to me. I've become such a huge fan by this point that they really can do no wrong anyway. I can't wait for the new album and his THYX side project release. One day I'll get to see them live.. one day :smith:

And for anyone who hasn't seen it, here is a live cut video of Whatever Mattered that he released on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btRynJZqzgY

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!
He announced that the new Mind.in.a.Box album is finished, and I believe he finished his THYX side project's first album as well :woop:

Now we just need release dates. I haven't been so excited for an album release as I am the new miab in a long, long time.

fakeedit: Crossroads is a phenomenal album, and probably my favorite so far. That being said, every album is really, really solid.

somethingwicked fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Oct 10, 2011

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!
I agree with this year not being particularly spectacular.

Imperative Reaction - Imperative Reaction - I wasn't totally floored by this album when I first started listening to it, but it really grew on me over time. Really solid, although it fades a little bit towards the end, and they still have the monotony issue going on a bit.

Necro Facility - Wintermute I know there was some discussion about this album awhile ago, but I was floored. Really solid from start to finish, and I really enjoy the direction that these guys have gone in.

Fractured - Beneath the Ashes There are a few tracks on here I'm not crazy about, but some of the other tracks (For What, You Are (the Voice Inside My Head), Dig) make up for it with their awesomeness.

Releases that almost made it for me: The Birthday Massacre, Dismantled, Aesthetic Perfection. I enjoyed all of their releases this year, but they just weren't as good as I was hoping.

Here's to 2012 and Revelations by Mind.in.a.Box :woop:

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!
His vocals aren't the greatest live but they do put on an entertaining show. The set list is usually really good. They're aware of the 3-4 really solid tracks on the recent albums and just play those.

I just recently saw them in Philly and they ended the night with Perpetual - drawing out the ending for what seemed like 10 minutes. That was really annoying.

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!

Phoenixan posted:

So it's out, and I'm gonna say, it's another solid album. Listened to the whole thing twice over so far, and Cause and Effect and Control have kinda grown on me.

Control is by far my favorite track on the new album. It is indeed a solid album, but it's definitely not up there with Crossroads. I think the first half of the album is really good, but it starts to fizzle out for me a bit after Fragments.

That being said, I keep listening to it and it's been growing on me with each listen. It's not as stupid awesome as I was hoping, but I'm enjoying it and it's great to hear some new material (keep in mind I have a huge boner for MIAB). In the past I've blown off certain tracks only to come back to them later and realize they're awesome. I think his THYX side project is slated for a spring release (April or so). More to look forward to :woop:

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!

teethgrinder posted:

Waiting to hear it until I have a physical copy in my hands.

I have been buying music on iTunes for a while, but still buy albums of my absolute favourite bands.

That said, I think I'm going to quit iTunes and do everything in my power to get albums from bands/labels directly. Preferably digitally.

I guess I wasn't really into them at the time, but I wish I'd bought the Mesh album on a USB key when they were in town.

I have the same mindset, for my favorite bands.

I had pre-ordered a physical copy from Metropolis, and used a VPN to purchase it digitally from amazon.co.uk on the 20th because I'm impatient. I have no qualms buying their album twice (plus the physical copy usually comes with some kind of digital goodie).

Metropolis has a DRM free digital store. I hope other labels are able to follow suit.

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!

teethgrinder posted:

Control is catching me on this play-through. I agree though, the vocoding was part of the charm prior.

I do think this is a solid album, but it almost takes a prog-rock mentality to appreciate.

Control is a terrific song. I agree otherwise though that there really aren't any ridiculously awesome standout tracks (like the first time I heard Fear, etc). On a whole though, I'm really enjoying it the more I listen to it. I do wish the vocals had some more effects like they do in previous albums, but I enjoy his natural voice as well.

I'm happy to say though that the songs from Revelations fit in quite nicely with the other songs in my M.I.A.B playlist, which is all the tracks I rated a 4 or 5 in itunes, and consequently a very large playlist.

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!
I can't wait, personally. I find that every A23 album he releases has been better than the last.

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!

DaveSpillings posted:

Twiin, I think it's pretty cool that Karl from Angelspit posted your video. I'm glad it's getting some attention around the internet!

Tom Shear was discussing it quite a bit on facebook (supportive). So did Imperative Reaction (not as much).

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!
For those interested, Tom Shear has uploaded the new Assemblage 23 album Bruise to Youtube for your listening pleasure: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUntR8ataBw2qXtvhAtk5VA?feature=mhee

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!

Quirk posted:

New Birthday Massacre just announced minutes ago. :neckbeard:

I didn't enjoy Pins and Needles as much as Walking with Strangers, but I'm excited as poo poo for this. All the haters can eat a dick :slick:

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!
How about we all listen to the Icon of Coil track instead!

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!

teethgrinder posted:

Just saw Imperative Reaction in Toronto tonight ... and while they were outstanding, best I've seen them (third time), it was so depressing. Like maybe 60 people tops.

Opening, Everything Goes Cold were pretty drat great too.

edit: Also, who is Evan Patterson (the drummer) and why is he a big deal? Google is confusing me further. On YouTube footage he looks like he's 15.

He is 15. He's just a fan who has gotten to drum live with Imperative Reaction and Aesthetic Perfection. Not sure why he's a big deal, but good for him.

Imperative Reaction is playing with Assemblage in NYC this Friday, but I don't know if I'm going to be able to make it up there. :( I've only seen a short set when they played at the Triton Festival a couple years ago. I used to find them rather monotonous (and still do to a small extent), but they're one of the more enjoyable bands out there for me. If I can't make it i'll just see A23 at a closer show on Sunday, because Tom Shear is the loving man. I know quite a few people on here were complaining about Compass, etc - but he has yet to dissapoint (:rimshot:) me.

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!

Phoenixan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjoBbOmSb70
Figured I'd post this here since MIAB/THYX discussion goes on in this thread. This track sounds simply wonderful. Also, the lego version of Stefan Poiss & his robot voice gets a laugh out of me.

Thanks for posting this, I had been waiting for him to release this track. The song is awesome.. I love that man. :allears:

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!
I use the term Gothic Dance Music when asked about it, it was the easiest way I could convey it. Mortiis is a little tricky. His old albums are basically soundtracks to AD&D, and his new ones are Nine Inch Nails light.

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

I finally took the time to buy and listen to Necro Facility's Wintermute (for a Swedish course I'm taking - need to write an essay on something Swedish).

:stare: why didn't I listen to this sooner

Wintermute is one of my favorite albums of 2011. I was totally not expecting it to be one of my favorite albums of 2011.

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!

leahlionheart posted:

Are there actually any decent electro/industrial/noise/EBM/etc festivals in North America?

I'm trying to get to Kinetik, because Montreal is about 4 hours from my parents' home.

It's been with some chagrin that I've watched the EDM scene explode across the US the past few years; I was quite into trance/house/etc. about 15 years ago and got called every name in the book for my inclinations by the Dave Matthews crowd. There's no shortage of decent EDM festivals (populated by molly-eating college freshmen, woe, woe), but finding industrial stateside seems like quite a task.

There was a 3 day Trident Festival in NYC back in 2010 that I went to. There was talk of another one this year, but now I can't even find their website. Otherwise I've yet to ever see a festival in the US :(

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!
There's a snippet-teaser for THYX's upcoming album due out in May. I thought the first THYX album was brilliant, and I'm glad he's continuing to churn out music since the future of mind.in.a.box seems to be up in the air.

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!
It certainly sounds like Grendel to me. It has a few too many instrumental tracks for my taste, but the more I listen to it the more I enjoy it.

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!
I'll be attending Triton again this year. I hope they manage to get an unexpected act or two. Seeing Razed in Black (finally) last Triton was a great experience.

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!

DeusExMachinima posted:

Wait, RiB is touring together again or were recently? This is total news to me.

No, RiB played at the Triton Festival in 2010 and I think it was just a one off appearance. I haven't seen anything else from him since (aside from occasional DJ gigs I think) :(

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!
I was (and still am) in love with 'A Violent Emotion'. Then came 'All Beauty Destroyed'.. then I was on a cruise with them for a week, after which they were officially perma-banned by the agent who set it up.. then came the new singles. I had such high hopes for AP.

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!
I have no problem with an artist evolving their sound. I loved Necessary Response and was pretty excited when he was talking about basically melding the two. His B-Side 'The Bitter Years' is possibly my favorite AP song. I just think that what he ended up releasing kind of sucks, not to mention the antics of him and his cronies on that cruise - it just kind of turned me off to him in general. That being said I know I'll still get his new album (like I do every Tori Amos album, although I know what to expect :butt: ).

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!

Halloween Jack posted:

So what actually happened on the cruise?

It was basic drunken douchebaggery (our group had an open bar card for the trip). Throwing beer bottles into the pool, caught pissing off the side of the boat. There were apparently altercations with the 'regular guests' and staff although I didn't hear any specifics. When the trip was over the agent sent out an email saying that Aesthetic Perfection has officially been banned from any further gothic cruises, which Daniel then posted as a badge of honor).

I wish I had some more info or a better story. Everyone was pretty loaded the majority of the time, but no one else seemed to have issues acting like somewhat responsible adults.

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!

teethgrinder posted:

It felt less slick to me, in a good way: like a throwback to pre-USM stuff. It's just as well because I feel like their production topped out at Northern Light and the interim two albums just haven't been as good. There's definitely been several great tracks, but as albums they suck. I think this one is decent throughout. Not earth-shattering, but competent.

I also got a bit of a VNV Nation vibe from it.

This is turning out to be their best album since Northern Light for me. Skyshaper had some great tracks, and I really didn't care for Modern Ruin at all. I didn't have the highest of hopes but I'm pleasantly surprised. 'I Walk Slow' has been the only track I don't care for.

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!

Baby Sathanas posted:

Apoptygma Berzerk got announced for the upcoming Resistanz festival in Sheffield. And I know how much y'all love Apop. Hoping for a mostly old-Apop set. I doubt they'll disappoint, last time I saw them was in 2007 and they were boss.

Last time I saw Apop was in 2010, and it was a pretty even mix of old and new. You'll probably hear what you want to hear.

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!

Sloppy posted:

I'd never heard of these guys until I saw Imperative Reaction posting about them on Facebook, I definitely dig it though. It reminds me of early NIN in some way I can't quite put my finger on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmwNwrXvFzc

I've been waiting for them to actually release a album after hearing their track with Davey Havok. Still waiting. Unless I'm an idiot, but I can't find anything anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!

Potential BFF posted:

The Birthday Massacre is a guilty pleasure of mine but they have a problem with boring filler songs. The first five tracks on Superstition are pretty great, especially Diaries, hot drat that chorus. Everything after Surrender could just not be there and nothing would be lost.

I agree with this. Walking with Strangers is their only album that I enjoy start to finish. I do enjoy Oceania and Rain on the new album, though. I'm enjoying Superstition more than their last one. Hide and Seek started off strong but I don't give a poo poo about anything after the third track. They're great for curated playlists.