Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

BraveJoe posted:

Shal-Morzinn has some big name spookyness in the books. Its mentioned a few times. I think Dancer and the Emperor left it alone thinking that they wouldnt win.

That's the island kingdom ruled by sorceror-kings or something? IIRC even the Perish were all, "Yeah, we try not to gently caress with them."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Clark Nova posted:

and they stay up on their mountain not loving with anyone. The actual danger in Assail is mostly just stabby tribesmen.

Stabby tribesmen with Jaghut blood.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Guyver posted:

They are but every once in a while they have weird magic lizard babies. The ones that are too much lizard get thrown into the sea and the ones with just slight lizardyness become their magic users.

I always figured the Shake got caught up in the Tiste/Kchain wars and were used for experiments by the Matrons or something.

Not exactly - it's explained in the books that the water off of which the present-day Shake reside was once seeded with nano-whatevers by a KCCM matron. When a pregnant Shake went in, the developing fetus was at risk of being contaminated and having their genetic structure modified by the nano-whatevers, resulting in weird magic lizard babies of various expression (in the genetic sense).

I can't recall, though, if any commentary was ever offered as to whether the witches and warlocks would or even could reproduce by natural means. If yes, then we could probably assume that the Shake of today have, as a race, some vestige of KCCM genetic material.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

BraveJoe posted:

Do you recall which book that was in? is it in DoD or CG? or was it some throw away line on another continent?

Oh boy <spends an hour running Kindle searches>.

There are several references that come together to paint that picture. The description of the Matron's seeding of the water comes from DoD, page 328 (?):

Gunth Mach's memories posted:

She recalled the birth pains of the Nah’ruk, and then the searing agony of their betrayal. Burning cities and corpses three-deep on vast fields of battle. Chaos and terror within the nests, the shriek of desperate births. And the sly mockery of the waves on the shores as a dying Matron loosed her eggs into the surf in the mad hope that something new would be made—a hybrid of virtues with all the flaws discarded...

edit: and, yeah, it's been theorized that the Jhorligg are the result of a similar chain of events.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Wow. Life has been so packed the last year or so that I didn't even realize Dancer's Lament was part of a continuing series of...<checks book description>....oh, hell yeah. Now I can't wait for next month, either. :(

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Guyver posted:

The reason Forge of Darkness and Fall of Light didn't sell well is pretty obvious to me. Except for the one scene with the sisters and the few with dragons the book was pretty mundane. Well as mundane as not-elves coming to terms with their newly minted corporeal goddess of darkness can get anyway. Don't get me wrong I really liked both of them but it didn't get the blood up like the stuff in BotF. Which is kind of sad because Walk in Shadow probably would have ramped the action up.

He reasons that if that were the case, you would still have seen decent sales for FoD (people excited for more Malazan), and then a drop off for FoL (people reacting to FoD), which is....reasonable.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Hand Row posted:

Uh yes this whole conversation is about how Erikson will write the first Karsa trilogy book instead of finishing the Tiste trilogy because of lovely sales.

Yeah, dude, ffs why can't you just WITNESS?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

snoremac posted:

Eh, that viewpoint makes sense if they've only read GotM.

Or are stupid. :colbert:

:lol: at "Suddenly, T'lan Imass."

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Oathbringer and Deadhouse Landing will both hit my Kindle tomorrow. Why.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Abalieno posted:

Err, I always supported Erikson here, so for once I'll be the other voice:

The difference is that Sanderson can actually keep track of his stuff. Erikson cannot.

Not going to disagree here, but I think the reason Sanderson is so good at keeping track of his stuff is also the reason his plot development often feels so artificial.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Yeah, I had to stop listening at some point in DoD because that second half narrator was so loving bad.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

User posted:

Raest for president!

"Whoops, I thought you'd said 'racist.'" - God, probably

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

I think you guys are going to have to break it down by subforum archetypes. I'll start: Kruppe is D&D.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

um kruppe is clearly FYAD

hannan mosag is D&D

No, way, Kruppe is too civilized for FYAD. FYAD would be like...Olar Ethil.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

kingturnip posted:

Iskaral Pust is FYAD and smdh if you think otherwise

Yeah, that sounds about right.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Alhazred posted:

Just finished Dust of Dreams and....the part with Hetan is just loving vile. First of all it's extremely gratuitous (Hetan isn't just raped, she's crippled, raped by two dozen men and turned into the tribe's sex slave). What makes it even worse is that it follows the pattern of Midnight Tides, a woman is raped so the male characters can get upset about it and swear revenge while the rape victim just wanders off and die without any agency. Steven Erikson tries to justify it with making it about patriarchy but that just feels wildly out of place, this is a book about armies of velociraptors and undead cro magnon men, not the Handmaid's Tale. It's an absolute low point of the entire series.

Yes, that is a subplot about which people tend to have very strong feelings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

anilEhilated posted:

Don't read Assail.

Just good general advice right there. What a miserably disappointing book.