Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Stuntman posted:

I like how the doomsday guy downtown in Santa Monica will spout out a Godspeed You! Black Emperor reference occasionally.

Clarification? I've never noticed it but I don't listen to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Unless this is your first time. Everyone must experience it pure once.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
It's locked until you clear the sewers.

I hate them more than anything, but I feel you miss "the experience" if you don't do it at least once. The first time is the least worst. Also there are some GREAT Lovecraftian journal entries to be found down there.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Last night I did the Night At The Library quest. I didn't recognize it so I thought it was just some content I had missed, as I've been finding little bits of that on my last two playthroughs.

Turns out it's absolutely awful and why the gently caress did they think it was a good inclusion to the patch?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I assume it was mostly a, "We now have level editing abilities so let's try them out!" but it was kind of neat that was quickly ruined.

It started off alright, a sewer entrance, sneaking around, sure. The level library part of the level isn't all that poorly designed, although it's large and barren in contrast to Troika's, which is easily attributed to fans making it. It has a neat little puzzle and that's fine, but then when you get into a certain point, it has a stupidly designed underground area and a fight that neither makes sense, nor is fun. It would have been a prime opportunity for some neat storytelling or just some fan service in-jokes, but instead it turned into a horrible fight that sapped any fun and momentum I was having with the game out, equivalent to the entire old sewers section. It has some terrible voice acting which isn't really a valid complaint because it was fan made and that's what you'd expect.

Part of me is just sperging out that it was SO out of place that it just oozed "HEY MAN I PUT THIS IN HERE WHAT DO YOU THINK ISN'T IT AWESOME!?" but for the most part, it was just a needless and unfun addition.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
That movie was disappointing, and I LOVE theater of the absurd. :(

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I hadn't seen Mimic before. Every time F Murray Abraham was on screen I couldn't help but see Professor Johansen.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Those are the disciplines (spells) and they're combat use and generally single-target. Go through your first run loaded for war.

And melee. Firearms are horrid compared to hitting poo poo with other poo poo.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Ddraig posted:

There's one area of the game that I loving hated. It's filled with incredibly annoying enemies. I tried to go powerhouse through it, and it was a painful experience. Apparently you can sneak through there fairly easily, though, as the enemies are supposedly near blind.

I've sneaked (that's the correct past tense apparently) through it multiple times. It's possible, but it's just as fun as the area is normally.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I don't know, I burned (ha?) through all the ammo you could carry at one time and one or two of them still had health to spare.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I still advise against cheating your first play simply to get the purest experience. As unfortunate as the end game becomes, I feel it's way worse and lessened when you don't experience it at least once "as intended."

Also, don't do that quest for Beckett at the library. It's from the fan patch and it's kinda lovely.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Actually I'm pretty certain you can break the vent and just run away even through that one. You just have to get lucky she doesn't hit you while you're on a tiny tiny ledge.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Yeah, flamethrower. I'm pretty sure it was an intentionally OP last minute inclusion as a sort of apology for making the game so loving hard for non-combat characters at the end.

e: Speaking of non-combat, in the junkyard, can you talk down the Gangrel? I never have been able to but it seems like that was the design.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
'til it goes click.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
e: ^ They just affect in-game actions like lockpicking and hacking and etc. It's just that they're maxed barely a third into the game.

The library quest doesn't really give Beckett more presence. He emails you, you do a horrible quest, he emails a thank you. It's all around not-that-good.

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 17, 2013

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Ddraig posted:

If you're using Clan Quest, police will now enter the sewers to search for you aswell. That was a pretty nice touch that caught me by surprise.

That's been in the base game since release. However it's still hilariously easy to just pop into a manhole, stay at the top of the ladder, then go get a soda.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Speaking as someone who has never played Gangrel, I have never once frenzied outside of, "I'm quitting so I'll save and gently caress around." Is it an actual in-game concern? You have to work to lose humanity and a low blood pool has never caused me to frenzy, even when loving about.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
She's not required to advance if that helps.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Left mouse button. At least if you meant the talking head dialogue. As the actual cutscenes and subtitles, I do not know.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

PureRok posted:

I've never had this bug happen before. It was kind of funny. I smacked him so hard he flew up into the corner there and just kept spinning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKpkCSZygIQ

I have something mildly similar happen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhAkrUtCFdM

Game's kind of broken/weird and I love it more than any other game ever. I still remember how incredible it felt exploring Santa Monica for the first time. If ever we needed the technology to wipe memories so we could enjoy something for the first time it's for this. God did that initial playthrough feel great and capture that sense of wonderment and awe. Everything was dark and scary and new and unknown and I wanted to live in the world and drink in all the details and laugh at all the outrageous bugs and glitches. Such a good loving game. [/nostalgia]

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I don't think it does but I'm pretty sure when the daze wears off they go into alert and then you "get seen."

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I'm pretty sure I myself have asked this in the thread already but who was constantly emailing you? I thought it was the Tremere regent at one point but then Jack but then Cain? I'm pretty sure my Malk was just emailing himself.

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 14, 2014

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
But I thought it was just a dead mummy. I don't think it was an antediluvian because at the end we see a desiccated corpse on the lawn chair next to Jack.

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 17, 2014

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I don't think the corpse was an antediluvian. I'm pretty sure it was just a mummified king.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I figured that was both obvious, and aside from a few very lucky idiots, true of all kindred. Even LeCroix was incredibly scheming and smart, he just got outplayed in the end. I figure if you go to a chess tournament even the loser is pretty great at chess. Same principle applies to most kindred who're older than a hundred years.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Cradle?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Ddraig posted:

Sorry, Condemned: Criminal Origins has it beat on two counts: The Department Store and Farmhouse

Also that. The farmhouse not so much, but those loving mannequins... Those loving mannequins......

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Quite frankly this sort of over the top stuff is imho more stupid than interesting, and I'm glad the makers of Bloodlines didn't really delve into it.

Nope! It's Metal Gear Solid / Kojima levels of ridiculously stupidly awesome. gently caress physics, gently caress realism, gently caress everything, this is too dumb to be anything but popcorn-shoveling, poo poo-eating grin fun.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I thought the Tzimisce WAS the Cathedral of Flesh.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
That's not a problem, that's one of the best parts. gently caress these computer games, let's get a PnP going!

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
To BE? Which would make you dead? I figure you meant he forced you TO, unless he actually did kill the PC's.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

EightDeer posted:

Actually there was a significant gameplay change introduced in the 8.0 patch: Wesp discovered a way to remove the werewolf's plot invincibility, so you can try to fight it straight up as opposed to doing the observatory doors bit. It's the toughest fight in the game though; even harder than the final bosses.

Is it more annoying than Ming Xiao? Because that fight has literally never been fun on a single character ever ever ever ever ever ever ever.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

The Kins posted:

Well, it is (a beta version of) the Half-Life 2 engine. Animation choreography for voiceovers and blending "gesture" animations for models were kind of their big crazy thing. I mean, other than crazy physics crap.

(Semi-related fun trivia: Apparently there's at least one entity in the Bloodlines maps labelled "fuckvalve" and one labelled "fuckactivision". I'm guessing Troika weren't much fans of Source's... eccentricities. :v:)

Any ideas which ones?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Who the gently caress had the credit for penning the Baali poo poo and are they yet arrested? That sounds like something you'd read in a loving horrible internet copy-pasta or fanfic. I know WoD is already kind of gross and disturbing but that's going above and beyond the call of duty.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Well at least they had a pretty CYA disclaimer there.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
All of the poo poo he has barring the eyes and the hands look TERRIBLE. Jesus.

e: vv They kind of do, but they look better than the dull matte eyes in the example shots.

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 30, 2014

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Crindee posted:

Can anyone think of a reason why the police in my game are acting like vampires? When I hang out near them they make snarling noises instead of whatever dialogue cops have, I kill them and they turn to ash, etc. I'm using CQM and its latest patch, and Googling didn't turn up any other instances of this.

LordLeckie posted:

Sounds like its working as intended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzS5ZiFZnxY

God bless this age in which I can type literally two words into YouTube and find the exact scene out of a movie I'm looking for.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Patch notes induced spoiler questions!

You can find Ash at Leopold? Is that if you don't do his quest?

What's with the werewolf laptop? I found it and got in, but didn't understand it other than it referenced the observatory fight.

What's the easter egg ending and is that CQM-only? I've never even heard of it.

I feel like a bad Bloodlines fan. I've beaten the game only five times and I also still have these questions.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Fuzz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h16QzAkChMg

Easter Egg ending with stupid guy voiceover.

The new cannonical ending to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Does 9.0 increase the Malk voices? I've done a vanilla Malk run and one a few months ago did an 8.9 and have literally never heard the voices, not once.

• Locked thread