Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

As a accountant: thank god. I was dreading busy season just extending forever into the distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Hoodwinker posted:

This is probably a simple question:

I work a standard W2 job. My wife streams on Twitch and has been getting to the point where she's getting not nothing money payouts every month. I can obviously set my W4 to withhold enough to cover our tax liability for the year, but do I actually need to make sure we're doing quarterly estimated tax payments for her instead?

Not if you’re adjusting your withholding to cover both of your tax liabilities

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

As someone who has worked 130 hours already this month on returns, I dislike all of you who wait to the last minute after getting a 3 month extension to file.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

I would definitely get the company to increase your pay by 8% is to compensate. They’re just dumping the employer payroll tax onto you. I guarantee that’s why they want to set it up the way they are.

Single person LLC is the way to go. It’s not even a separate return. You’d just be putting everything into Schedule C, and like mentioned above, you can plow money into a SEP if the money is as good as you’re saying. You can take small deductions and home office expense. All it’ll require will be a small annual report fee on the SOS side and maybe a PPT depending on your state (which you can deduct on C)

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Olothreutes posted:

I have learned it's a non-refundable credit, 26% for 2020. My understanding is that a tax credit is going to reduce my tax liability by some number, x. If x is greater than my tax liability I roll the rest to the next year.

Incorrect

quote:

Basically, the credit will probably still become money in the bank even if we usually get a refund, right?

Yes, if it’s more than your tax liability for the year. The amount you’ve paid in has no effect on this.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Epi Lepi posted:

Any unused solar tax credit does roll over, what is incorrect about what he said?

To clarify, say his credit comes to $7,000, his tax liability is $5,000 and his withholding is $4,500. The solar credit wipes out the tax so he gets all $,4,500of his withholding back, but there is still $2,000 left of the credit. That $2,000 is carried forward to next year and can be used against that years liability. Or reverse the liability and withholding numbers; without the credit he would get $500 back, with it he gets all $5,000 and has $2,500 in credit that rolls over to next year.

Did he not say it was a non refundable credit?

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Well there you go! Thanks everyone!

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

gvibes posted:

Recommendations of friends/co-workers who used them.

Stop hiring bad accountants

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Hadlock posted:

But this pass through taxes thing is sort of the key pillar of the 2017 tax cuts and jobs act right? We are mega hosed as a country if tax law designed to help small business owners is too complex to discuss on the internet

Can't stop laughing at this.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Cory Parsnipson posted:

Ah shoot. The IRS site says in other places to use schedule 3. I guess I thought line 26 was only for 2019 refunds.

Thanks!

Est. payments used to go on Schedule 3, and I'm guessing they haven't updated all their literature yet.

Ungratek fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 9, 2021

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Also odd that it completely cliffs at $150,000

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

These are questions for the accountant who prepared your return

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

Dumb question before I make an estimated tax payment. On my 2020 return I carried over say $10,000 in short term capital loss on whatever worksheet that was. Now here in 2021 I've had a $15,000 short term capital gain and a $20,000 long term capital gain ($35k total, I'm making these numbers up.)

Can I apply the whole carryover all at once? I'm not limited to $3k? If so, can I match tax treatments? I assume the answer to all of the above is "yes".

Math: $15k STCG - $10k STCL Carryover = $5k STCG + $20k LTCG

Your understanding is correct. I’ll bill you the tenth of an hour later.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Removes the tax drag even if you don’t convert to Roth afterwards

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Methanar posted:

lol. Okay so traditional IRAs aren't an upfront tax break at all. Traditional IRA is a tax deferral on the capital gains growth. Roth IRA is a full waiver on capital gains growth. So traditional IRA is mostly garbage, but fill it out anyway through the 6k annual contribution limit.

That's not what tax drag is. The dividends, interest and capital gains in an IRA/401k won't be taxed on an annual basis, where they would in a brokerage account.

You'll pay ordinary income rates on the growth when distributed, but you'll more than likely still come out (way) ahead.

Ungratek fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 29, 2021

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

This is not strictly an income tax question but I figured people in here would know. Has the IRS really not posted any new Form 990s online since TY2019? That seems pretty loving bad for 501c transparency.

The extended deadline for 2020 990s was only 75 days ago plus nobody works at the IRS anymore

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Honestly this is why I don’t file any of my clients 1040s before March 1st. Too many random straggling tax docs cause issues.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

It is not correct. It’s treated like any other gift - basis transfers to the donee

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

My old accountant used to mail merge out extensions for his entire client list from the prior year as soon as the form was available in whatever he was using. I found out when I called him in early april because some form still hadn't come in (K-1 I think) "Oh yeah I extended everyone in late January don't worry about it." I assume he just put 0 down as amount expected to owe. A+ accountant, sad I moved away.

:catstare:

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Covok posted:

Appro of nothing, but my client just showed me their vanguard retirement account page as confirmation they put the amount we agreed upon for SEP IRA Contributions for 2021.

Here is the thing, though. The page tells you the max contribution amount for thise account. If you run your own business and you are trying to use like SEP then your maximum contribution can be limited by your business profit or your W-2 from your S-Corp. Consult your tax professional before making a contribution. It's kind of irresponsible of vanguard to just tell people the absolute max amount for those accounts.

I'm pretty sure every single one of my clients overfunded in Year 1 because of this. They open the account and just fund without having the discussion with us.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

I had a bunch of people panic sell QSBS because they were going I cap the exclusion at 50% but that didn’t come to fruition.

Of course it worked out because selling in October was like the perfect time for realization.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

1099-K is informational they ain’t doing matching on it

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

You cannot take a loss on the sale of personal property - it wouldn't create an NOL.

Funny that both accounting threads are talking about this - I haven't come across a single 1099-K yet.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

No it’s definitely funnier if they try this on their own so keep plugging away

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Busy Bee posted:

Makes sense - thank you for your help.

Am I also required to submit any other documents besides Form 709? For example - proof of the wire?

Nope, but maintain a permanent copy of your 709 since you're using your lifetime exemption to get out of paying tax this year.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Small White Dragon posted:

2) For self-employed individuals (or those with cash-basis small businesses), if a payment is mailed to you at the end of the year and it's unclear if it will arrive at the very end of 2022 or the very beginning of 2023, and you'll be out of town then... in what year do you include it?

Man refuses to open mailbox to defer income -IRS hates this one weird trick!!

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

sparkmaster posted:

I got a 1099-DIV from a REIT, and it has a Section 897 capital gain in box 2F. I'm trying out Freetaxusa this year, and I don't see a space in there to put this (very small) amount. It's like $15, does it matter?

Pretty sure 2f gain doesn't apply to US individual taxpayers and can be ignored - the amount is already included in the other boxes and it's just a reclass for REIT filers.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Correct

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

There's also a premium for engaging a CPA this close to a tax deadline, or there should be

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

You possibly avoided probate because the house was in a trust and thus outside the estate. Unfortunately you may have other issues to resolve depending on what the trust document says

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Extremely normal

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Subvisual Haze posted:

Thank you. That is very stupid, but I doubt I'm the first person to have that thought.

It makes complete sense and I’m not sure why you would think otherwise

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Subvisual Haze posted:

If the goal is to encourage investors to hold investments longer-term (as seems to be the case with long term cap gains having a lower tax rate), then the current method seems to be working at cross purposes as it encourages you to sell losses earlier.

Market historically goes up over long periods so you’re more likely to have gains than losses on your long term holdings. You also get to use your long term losses against short term gains, provided you’ve already wiped out the long term gains in that year (and vice versa with short term losses against long term gains).

You should always match losses and gains of the same type against each other before using them against other items. It’s a basic rule of tax and accounting, and the thing that makes tax frustrating is when it doesn’t adhere to these rules, which is not something 98% of taxpayers have to encounter.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

I'd deduct it without giving it much more thought.

Edit: not to say it couldn't be challenged, but I think you'd be able to defend it if it was.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

MrMojok posted:

Hi all, I have a question. This is for filing in 2024.

1) My wife and I are getting a divorce and plan to sell our house and split whatever profits we get from that. There are no children and no other property.

If the divorce is final by the end of this year, when we file next year, do we both file as Single, and then show whatever profit we spilt from selling the house as capital gains or something similar?

2) if the divorce is not final by Dec 31st but instead ends up being final in January, let’s say. In this example, we would still be filing as married, correct?

You mean your 2023 tax year filing, to be submitted in 2024? If so, you have the right of it. You can either file MFJ or MFS in scenario #2 as far as I can tell.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Note that the $10k limit also includes property taxes, so it’s not likely you’d even need sales tax in no income tax states

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

I believe that last year my partner was 1099-MISC and this year it was 1099-R

I know nothing about your situation but there’s no way she received a 1099-R for work she did

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

sullat posted:

Good news then if you are a lawyer you are also able to talk to the IRS about any issue for your client, unlike those unenrolled tax preparers.

Excellent reading comprehension

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

He’s probably paying nearly 10k in income taxes anyway so it really doesn’t matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Deviant posted:

Tried it. Still leaves me about $1000 below standard.

You are right that this is not what I asked. The stock is on my W2 and already worked in. I didn't say it wasn't accurate, I asked if I could weasel out of it.

Lmao good contribution to this thread