Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
Our team got kicked out in the first round of the playoffs, we were 3rd seed and played the 6th seed. We had gone 5-0 against this team in the regular season and lost to them two games in a row in a best of 3 series. :(

All their good players only showed up to half the games, so they ended up being a good team that finished low in the standings. Oh well, was still an awesome season and summer hockey is only a month away!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
Made it to Game 3 (best of 3 series) in the second round of the Summer playoffs, god drat I love beer league playoff hockey.

The league admin is saying he'll likely make this Winter's playoffs best of 5 series. :aaa:

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
Has anyone tried using melatonin to help fall asleep after late night hockey games? Getting worried about having to do student teaching this fall.

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009

gigabitnokie posted:

So close to being so bad.

poo poo. It always frightens me that pretty much all players in beer league (me included) skip out on wearing a neckguard. A skate to the neck = game over.

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
A 16 year old kid from my city is in pretty bad shape after taking a puck to the neck while blocking a shot:

News Link

This was midget so they would have been wearing cages and neckguards. Sad stuff. :(

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009

WouldDesk posted:

He died. Did he survive, and then the article was written while he was in the hospital before he passed? I ask because the link now clearly says he passed away.

The article definitely changed, though there were rumours yesterday morning that he had already died. Some of my students who knew him said today he apparently "died" three times before finally succumbing to his injuries.

From what I've heard the shot wasn't even that hard either, just hit him in the wrong place.

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
For those who play in a men's league: how much will you pay for a pair of skates? I'm thinking of buying a new pair and I was wondering if it's worth it to spend over $300. I tried a pair of RBK 17Ks that fit and felt awesome, and were marked down to $399 from $699 because they're last season's model. So tempted to pick them up.

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
So my men's league team played against a team with a guy who played in the WHL just last season. We managed to mostly shut him down, 1G 3A, which apparently is a pretty low point total for him. But the guy was a total douche. The game went to a shootout, he ended up getting stoned by our goalie (pokecheck :c00l:), they still won, and then he refused to shake hands after the game. When another player on my team went by him and said "Hey man, good game" he told him to gently caress off.

Oh, and this is in Div 7... 7 out of 8.

the last signal... fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 25, 2012

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009

Dangerllama posted:

Just curious, are you sure this guy played in the WHL?

The reason I ask this is because I've played with a number of ex-CHL/ECHL guys and they can pretty much score at will on anyone less than a B-league goalie. The B-league goalies usually force them to make one fewer move.

Also, "Pros" (I'll use airquotes for the WHL) are usually really nice. The way they become douchebags is that they become frustrated and then they start...y'know...trying.

I'm 100% sure that it was the WHL, and that he played from 2008-2012. Looked up a picture just to be certain. Also I've been playing for about 13 years (still suck) and you can just tell he was leagues better than anyone on the ice.

I don't know if my rec league is different or something, but usually the lower divs will still have some pretty good players, they're just mixed in with some pretty bad ones. A WHL player is definitely an anomaly though, usually the highest we see is a former Junior B player, and they'll still dominate.

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
I got some $300 Warrior stick for Christmas and just got back from trying it out for the first time. Holy poo poo, I can't believe the difference! Usually I'll spend $100-$125 but the difference between the two is just incredible, it feels like cheating. All I have to do is put just a little effort into a snap shot and the puck goes flying.

It's going to be a sad, sad day when this twig breaks (probably like a month with my luck), because there's no way in hell I can afford to buy sticks like this. :( But man..

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
So for the third season in a row, my rec team is facing elimination in the first round by a ringer team, and it's getting really frustrating. I've been running this team for three years, and we may not be the most skilled, but we're pretty committed and all of our guys make it to nearly every game. Each season, we end up finishing high in the standings and then first round we play a low ranked team that all of a sudden has a bunch of amazing players who only showed up for a fraction of the games in the regular season (you need 8 out of 25 to play during playoffs). It's like we're playing a whole new team. It seems to make the season mean nothing and is just lame in general, and this has happened to us literally every season in this league.

I don't know, what do you guys think? Am I being a gigantic hockey sperglord? In a 25 game season, how many games do you think a player should have to play in order to be eligible for playoffs?

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009

oddIXIbbo posted:

Maybe you could look at it another way.

Your playoff season is what, 3-4 games? You played well enough to finish in the top teams. That's 25 games of good, strong, hard-fought, mostly-winning hockey which you and your team paid for.

Coming in to the playoffs near the bottom and bringing in ringers is a really dumb way to spend hundreds of dollars, I think. The result is they get to take home a piece of plastic and brag that they won 3-4 hockey games. I agree that beating that ringer team in the playoffs is great but i'd rather grind out a close win over a similar opponent 3 or 4 times a season. It always leaves me wanting to come back for more.

It's true, we definitely get our money's worth during the season, even though this team in particular we played three times and won 6-1, 7-4 and 7-3. But the way our league does it during playoffs is best of 3 for each series, and then finals are best of 5. There are three rounds in the playoffs, so getting past the first round could get you an extra 2-8 games.

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009

Flyinglemur posted:

I think my stick might be a smidge too long...what is a good rule of thumb to measure? I have three identical sticks and only have two taped up/useable so I could experiment with the third one (as long as its ok to hack some off of the end of a composite).

I prefer to have it come around my mouth without skates on, but it varies from person to person. A good test is to take a lovely stick out to the rink, and fire a bunch of slap shots. If the heel shows some wear then it's too long. I just went through a really expensive stick in ~5 games because I left it too long for some reason and the heel exploded, very stupid of me. :(

And yeah it's definitely okay to hack off some length at the end of a composite. But cutting off lots will make the stick significantly more stiff.

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009

AboveAndBeyond posted:

This was me at our game tonight:

Holy :lol: is there a full video of this somewhere?

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
Awhile ago I decided to start hitting the gym to help my game, including doing squats in hopes of improving my speed. I went from squatting 135 to 225, it seems my speed stayed roughly the same (maybe a little more explosiveness to my stride) but now my legs are getting so incredibly sore and tired like a period into the game. Tonight was absolutely brutal, by the third period I could barely skate. I try and make sure I'm doing squats 3 times a week, do I have to be giving myself more than just a day's rest if I have a game coming up? I did do some yesterday but it's not like my legs felt sore at all before hitting the ice today.

Also does anyone else feel like there's a peak skill level you hit where you just can't get any better? I'm 25 and have been playing this game for the majority of my life and I swear to god I still blow at it. Meanwhile a guy on my team started like 4 years ago and is already as good as or better than me. Scary to think how good he'd be if he started playing way younger.

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
Last month, 17 games into a 25 game season, our team got bumped up to the next div. Our record for the div we were in was a 15-1-1 including a couple forfeit games we won. Thing is, we weren't winning with blow outs, the games were all hard fought and close. They were fun and I felt that despite our strong record, we were a good fit for the div. I voice my concerns to the director about how we're a slow team and I'm not sure we can handle even one div higher, and this late in the season there might not be time to bump us back down. He reassures me that we'll be moved back down if things don't work out. Sure enough, we get blown out every game in the new div. After each game, the director tells "oh that will be your last game in this div, we're moving you back down." 5 games manage to pass by with nothing done and now the decision has been made that we're staying in this div because "it wouldn't be fair to the other teams to move you back down". Meanwhile, none our games in the first div count anymore and our current record in the new div is abysmal so we're going to miss the playoffs.

hurray for terribly run leagues

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009

sellouts posted:

that sucks but it's just beer league playoffs

Hey that's good ice time! (best of 3 format for series)

Honestly it seems kinda silly to me that some teams don't get the extra playoff games when everyone's paying the same amount. Luckily there are a few options for leagues in the city I live in so we'll have to shop around a bit more next season.

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009

sellouts posted:

There is no better goal to be a part of in any capacity than a deflection goal. Come at me.

Agreed, deflecting a slapshot from the point just perfectly makes hockey lizard brain very happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009

Tochiazuma posted:

Maybe not something anyone can answer but as a very casual player (once a week, non-checking adult league with a 'no slapshot' rule) is it worth it to switch from a wood to composite stick? I have only been playing a year after a 30-year hiatus and I don't have a strong shot, but I'm wondering if the stick type would matter in any case since there's no slappers in my league so the two sticks I have are pretty much like new (to look at, at least).

I don't mind spending some dosh on a better stick, but not if there's no point since my shot will still suck. Thanks for any help.

If you don't mind spending the dough, definitely treat yourself to a higher end composite stick. Snappers become so much more fun to do. Just be prepared to spend that much on sticks from here on out because it's pretty hard to go back to cheaper sticks.