Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Went to my first autox in the S2000. Tons of track time, only 23 cars showed up so we got in 17 runs and the course was 75 seconds for slow fucks like me or 62-66 for the FFR cobras. Definitely a bit of a change coming from karts and actual track, most of my problems were staying in way too close. After an instructor gave me a ride in his viper and showed me how much extra room I had with the right line I managed to pull a time good enough for a novice class win by about a second out of my rear end. I had him sit in for the next several laps and managed to beat that time by another second but he found my foot of clearance on cones to be a bit excessive so I downed 5 to appease him.

Aftermath of me "showing those cones whose the goddamn boss":

I took a few to the passengers side door going way too deep or turning too early.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Here's where the MA auto-xs usually end up, Devens Airfield as shown by and Elise who I got a ride with. I was able to get into 3rd at around the 1:04 mark with a top speed of 70ish, one of the vipers was getting above 80. The S2K and Elise had a very similar driving style for the autocross, I showed him some of the places that I sacrificed outright entry speed for a better exit and keeping the car on cam and it dropped 3 seconds off his time immediately. His helmet cam setup was pretty nifty, I think it was a Gopro HD Hero stuck on with velcro.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxLk3X1knoQ&feature=channel_video_title

Going through the slalom in those is a pretty holy poo poo experience, the front end goes where you point it with no drama. At 1:25 you see a cone that's placed a bit shorter; it caught everyone out and almost every car hit it. The Lotii would come up, crank the gently caress out of the wheel and miss it like there was no change up.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Sep 26, 2011

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Mezmerized Machine posted:

I bet this comes up a lot, but here it goes.

I've never been in an autocross, never been TO an autocross even, but it looks like a lot of fun and I'm definitely intrigued. There's an event near me happening soon(UNCG Park n Ride) and I'm thinking about going. I'm very nervous, though, and I'm wondering if I could(or should) just go as a spectator to see how it works and talk to some people there about it. Any feedback you have would be appreciated.

I drive a 96 Miata, one of the best autocross machines, or so I'm led to believe.

You can just show up and watch, people are very friendly and like getting others involved from what I've experienced so far. I don't know about SCCA about non-participant ride alongs but all my local clubs allow them as long as the person signs a waiver and most instructors don't mind the extra ballast. Just bring a helmet if you do plan on going, most people don't have spares.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Tested out a ghetto camera mount for auto-x. The video came out pretty nice, one video was out of focus and the way it's mounted makes it hard to tell. The rear camera shoots in 720p, but it's FOV isn't as wide as the front camera. Also the windscreen bounces a lot which I hadn't noticed in earlier tests.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3I4-PPEIpw&feature=channel_video_title
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnZCQ8yIIws

Also someone brought an ariel atom and was running it in the rain with slicks and the car that spun and took out the timing box wasn't any of the high tq, rwd cars but an Evo X. We also had a middle aged woman caning the everliving poo poo out of her 4cyl accord. The first section was a pegleg burnout followed by bouncing the revlimiter while going through one cone section.

edit: Videos fixed.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 2, 2011

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

FatCow posted:

Finished out our points season yesterday. Best run is below. It was so cold in the morning I couldn't get any heat in the tires. Still ended up 20th/85 raw time which isn't great for a CSP car but I expected much worse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNZWays03_Q&hd=1

Finished ours yesterday, it was a nice course that was 2mi long and also freezing. Also finally managed to catch a spin on film, it was my passangers first time at an autox. I had just rode with him and lost all the tire heat I had, so next time I took a normally flat out section the rear came out at 60ish. Also that corner worker don't move their station even after this which can only mean they have balls of steel.

http://youtu.be/Zty8B6w9n3w

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 7, 2011

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Or an iphone4. Brave people even externally mount them from the car.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Yea that course design has some bad choices, the way the corner is set up pretty much ensures any car that spins at that cone and doesn't immediately put both feet will end up on a bad trajectory towards the concrete. Also that vette may be fine, the impact speed looks pretty low and its possibly the suspension ate all the impact force and got sheared rather than the frame.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 24, 2011

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

ExecuDork posted:

As part of a course I'm taking on how to be a more effective teacher, I'm doing a microteaching exercise on Monday. I get 5 minutes to teach the rest of the class about something non-academic, and I'm going to try to teach them about autocrossing. Just what it is and a typical (in my view) first-timer's experience. I've come up with a lesson plan that I should be able to squeeze down to 5 minutes, covering a) what is autocross? (one car at a time through a sea of cones, with a handicapping system to at-least-partially equalize different cars), b) it's your first time, this is what to expect (registration, tech/safety inspection, course map), and c) it's fun! I can use the blackboard, a big white sheet of paper & markers, and an overhead projector, but no powerpoint or anything else on a computer (so no videos); I've made up a few overheads (course map, tech inspection checklist).

The class is about 20 PhD students in various disciplines at this university, and as far as I know nobody else has any experience of amateur car-racing of any kind. Can you think of anything I'm missing, or that I should emphasize?

Unless your event actually runs a handicapping system you can refer to, I'd stick with calling it a "classing system" to keep similar level of speed cars competing against each other. Then maybe give a quick example of classes and why tire choice is important, i.e. a miata on R-Comps is classed higher than a Ferrari.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

ExecuDork posted:

Awesome, thanks! The car classing was the part I was having the hardest time with, it balloons quickly to a huge complicated me-stuttering-about-Porsches thing, just calling it a classing system and giving a quick example will be perfect.

Yea, it's really easy since you can just say "x and y are in the same class because they run similar times" which is a bit simplistic but since you have only 5 minutes it's a pretty straightforward rule to apply.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Jabs posted:

This is essentially incorrect.

No, hes right. The snell website lists the 3 differences between SA and M and #3 is that SA helmets are tested for multiple collisions with a roll bar while M is not.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Our first autocross this season is Sunday, I was going to get direzzas mounted but its been hanging in the 30-50s and I don't want to ruin them. I'm running on the old S.Drives.

Also 215/45/17 245/40/17 everyday

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Oh man, if any of you ever get the chance go for a ride in a car with bias ply slicks. I went for a ride in an original Shelby Cobra with period correct race tires on at the last autocross. It wasn't the fastest car and didn't have the most grip, my S2000 on S.Drives was pretty close to its times, but it was so much fun to ride in. Sliding around in those is just like a nice fast gentle ride compared to the C6 Z06 on A6s I thought was going to break my neck.

Also old 4 points need an instruction manual to put on.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Phone posted:

Nobody does. Tire Rack can't get an estimate because of Hankook's atrocious ordering/shipping method. To elaborate: Hankook USA doesn't know what they're getting from Hankook HQ until the shipping container is opened. Because of this, tire distributors can't get an estimate as to what tires will be arriving when because... Hankook USA doesn't know.

The R-S3 is a hot tire, but I'm looking forward to the Z2 that was released this spring in Japan by Dunlop. It's apparently consistently 1-3% faster than the out-going Direzza Z1.

Speaking of which I've been waiting to order new tires since the ambient temp keeps dipping below 40. Now I'm debating whether to buy RS3/DSS for daily driven tires that I'll use at auto-x for my AP1 S2000. Has anyone tried these back to back? I'm leaning with DSS since I'm mainly concerned about wet performance, but from what I've seen the RS3s aren't as good in the rain but are heads an shoulders above most street tires for wet grip anyways. Also the AP2 sizes are in stock for RS3s since not many cars use them.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Even if you have a crappy car half the fun of autox is getting a ride in someones really good car.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Brigdh posted:

Star Specs will handle the cold better

I just bought these, I am in love. They have that same heft of kart slicks where you know there is just a massive amount of grip left over.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Call me Ken Gushi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YZi-cOxvtw

These tires are great, I have maybe 3-400 miles on them so I can't tell if dropping the pressures or the autocross wear was making them better but they seemed to be making more grip all day. My fastest run was 4 seconds off the lead car.

Also beat an '09 GTR.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 27, 2012

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Yea, people at our autox pretty much run an iPhone or Hero. I use an iphone since I have a good mount spot and I can review a run and find spots to work on immediately afterwards. GoPros are a lot smaller and can be mounted in more places, also I wouldn't worry about a Hero2 beig mounted externally like I would with an iPhone. There's a guy who mounts his hero2 at eye level on the right side of his helmet which makes some really cool footage.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Holy poo poo I hit a cone hard enough to break my muffler completely off the exhaust piping.

I saw some cone paint on the tires but I guess the exhaust ate the brunt of a cone at 60mph.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 28, 2012

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Here's footage from our last course, the pinch at 1:09 is evil and a ton of cars got a 4 cone call in on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5u2R3hTTZE

That's my exhaust you hear banging around in that video.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Phone posted:

S.drives are terrible. Get Star Specs.

The S.Drives aren't bad for street tires and work well in all conditions, but they're very average. Autocross highlights all of their faults pretty goddamn well and you'll find yourself held back by the tires a lot if you can drive at all. DZ101s are a better autox tire from what I've seen.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Brigdh posted:

S.Drives are a good balance, but don't excel in any one particular area, which sort of fits the bill, since each ExecuDork wants balance between many different conflicting areas. I'd recommend Falken 512s, except they tend to get chewed up in Autox

What about Hankook V12 Ventus? I've only seen one car with them but they were faster than my S.drives in the wet and also felt like they had better handling characteristics.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

TrueChaos posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiYBCdz4qCE&feature=plcp

My 2nd fastest run from Saturday, anyone have any tips from the video?

The only way there should be that much room between you and an apex cone is if you're dancing with it during the high school prom.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

TrueChaos posted:

:blush: which ones specifically?

It's a bit hard to tell from your onboard cam being on one side since a lot of which cone to stay tight on is dependent on the next cones coming up and I can't see the right side of your car. Pretty much in any corner there is one cone that will be the last one that affects your turn so you want to make that the cone you get tight in on. You also want to be looking a good corner or two ahead all the time.

You need to be closer to the cone at 7 seconds, 17 seconds (looks like you can run wider at the exit too), 21 seconds, and 23 seconds. The cone at 33 seconds looks like it is the one you want to be tight on and then run wider off the cone at 36 seconds to the next one. At 42 seconds it looks like you should be apexing on that cone and turning right almost immediately after crossing it.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 31, 2012

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
What racing is about can be broken down into a traction circle. North is winning by pure skill, south is losing by pure, uh, lack of skill. West is cheating(good car can be lumped in in that) and east is luck. As long as an interaction stays in that circle it is racing.

Examples:
1) miata beats miata, losing driver quotes some regs disqualifying one car.
Racing? Yes. Driver 2 is clearly in circle under coditions 'I lost because he's a loving cheater.'

2) miata beats Ferrari at autox.
Racing? Yes. Miata driver car is clearly better suited or driver is better. Ferrari driver will most likely blame car in some way. Both are in circle.

3) Car enters stop box backwards. No reversing is allowed.
Racing? No. This is inside the circle. We can see in some forms of driving, such as drift, backing it in can require considerable skill and sometimes may be the fastest/best way to win.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
I'm going to try to mount my iphone4 to my helmet for upcoming autoxs. I think the only real good way is a sidemount, I tried the camera on the mouth plate and with the narrow FOV and the exaggeration of movement the video is motion sickness inducing :barf:

TrueChaos posted:

Do you drive them in freezing temperatures? I'm tempted to get a set for the miata, but I daily drive it all year round and would like to be able to brake in the winter.

I've had HPS in the winter and they were fine, although you could feel them warm up and start getting grabbier. I can't imagine HP+ being much worse as they're a very similar compound.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Trip report, I brought an '08 Corvette Z06 to an autox.

This is what driving one is like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAOoFSRiqNE

This is what riding in one is like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAOAI4pkXog

Then two more random onboards of trying different driving styles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDaeym8V2nw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy_c4vVd7rM

It really easy to drive the entire course in 1st even with TC and active handling completely off, and it was very fast on the stock Goodyear Eagle EMTs. The car builds momentum obscenely fast which is a double edged sword; I was able to hit 60mph before the third cone even launching the car by rolling out from 1000rpm but it was faster to brake prior to the third cone, carrying too much speed in there made for a bad start. My main complaints about a Z06 for autox were the slower steering rack(made this course rather hard), the car being really wide, the ABS going nuts if the brakes were applied for trail braking or pretty much anywhere, and the stock seats although it did drat well.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

The Locator posted:

My experience with a Z06 in autocross, is that even if the course is technical enough that you don't run out of 1st gear, 2nd gear is almost always faster on the clock, due to how touchy that generation of Z06 throttle is. The car owner (who is very fast, whether in one of his various Corvettes, or his GT3) says that he almost always is faster just using 2nd gear as well. The car just has so much torque that it can accelerate in 2nd just fine.

Also, your passenger needs a helmet that fits, and a shoulder belt. :)

Yea, the 2nd gear runs were generally as fast or faster than 1st gear; 1st isn't hard to control but 2nd isn't much slower and you can get into throttle way earlier. I think I actually had a higher peak speed using 2nd in one section. But, in 2nd you need to use the brakes a lot more rather than relying on engine braking and every time I would try to stop ABS felt like it would trigger early and reduce braking force severely. This resulted in me carrying too much speed and under steering into a cone. It's also possible I'm just a terrible driver (I am) but I didn't have the same problem when using the brakes with the car in first.

Also she had the shoulder sash behind her back as for the entire day I had a $100 on the dash for passengers to try and grab when we launched in first heh fave hunnert

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 26, 2012

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Mostly my fault, I saw her put on the belt but didn't notice that the shoulder part wasn't on.

Here's a better passenger who was faster than me, if you watch his eyes you can probably figure out why:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je0MORHjXjk

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

CatBus posted:

Does anyone have any in-car camera mounting suggestions? I have a Flip camera, and an iphone. I was thinking of something like this for the Flip camera:

http://www.amazon.com/PEDCO-P-UCA-P...d=11FBPQ2YMYFDQ

Thanks!

Suction mounts with iPhone holders work pretty well, all my Z06 video is just a suction mount hanging off the front or rear glass. The biggest problem is wind noise. My S2000 video is the phone velcro'ed to the wind deflector.

ExecuDork posted:

He's looking two cones (at least) ahead.

All weekend I got "Look up! Look ahead! Where are you looking?!? Find the slalom! Find the Chicago box! Where's the end of this corner?!?" hammered into me.

It's a hard habit to break.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 28, 2012

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Trip report: Kept eyes up, was fast enough for 2nd or 3rd in group and 10th overall in street tire (first group was completely dry, our group was damp). Had people start asking to ride with/have me ride with them for pointers, one even asked me to drive his car :3:

Also fistpumping is the way to victory.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaXElIRmDc4

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
I found video of my passengers first run at an autox ever after I had switched the S2000 to Direzzas :getin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7erNqMOqgM

First time I think I've ever seen someone be impressed with the acceleration of my car though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW8mmpQkYbg

TrueChaos posted:

I need to keep working on looking farther ahead, and braking a bit earlier on the slower corners so I can get back on the throttle earlier. Apparently, my slalom is very good though :3:

If you keep forgetting it, you can also put a piece of tape across the windshield to remind you to not look below that section.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 9, 2012

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

TrueChaos posted:

This is an excellent idea, definitely going to do that next event. How do I gauge how far up to put the tape? The other thing I found really helpful was focusing on it during ride alongs - it's easier to think about when I'm not doing anything else, and helped me realize just how much I can improve in that regard.

You basically want the tape so it's in or above your vision if you aren't looking at least 2 or more cones ahead. You don't need to be really exact or block out the bottom half of the windshield though as it's just there as a constant visual reminder to keep looking far ahead, otherwise it's easy to lose focus and not catch yourself fixating on the close cones.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Crustashio posted:

Since there's no honda specific thread, I figured I'd ask here (and get the answers I care about): How do people like their S2000s? I'm having a seriously hard time finding a decent e36 m3 to use as a slalom/track car. There are a few S2000s for sale locally and from what I've seen they make great stock slalom cars. I will always have a 4 seater commuter car, so backseats and cargo don't matter to me, aside from being able to take a few tools and clothes to weekend events.

I assume it's impossible to take a full set of wheels without a trailer.

As fatcow said if you're planning on tracking it, most clubs require a 4 point bar and 5 point harness for passenger and driver which kinda sucks to do to a street car. Otherwise they're awesome autocross cars. Mine has 112.5k on it and I use it for a DD as well without issues. I wouldn't suggest launching them, but they're very capable and will punish you severely for any bad driving habits.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Looks like the autocross Sunday is at half capacity, here's hoping for the 17+ runs like last years labor day. Also going to try out an innovative wind noise canceling method known as taping a piece of foam over the mic.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Sep 1, 2012

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
I forgot how hard it is to drive quickly of you have no or little sleep, I feel like I could have been 2 seconds quicker but couldn't keep focused.

Also went into the weeds doing about 60, that was cool.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 3, 2012

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Someone did some photography for the last autox and sent out the photos.

He also managed to catch me going off at somewhere around 60mph. I went into the grass and still managed to not go off course and get a DNF. Hell yea.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Sep 10, 2012

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

bladesamurai posted:

What club do you run with around here?

NE-SVT, BSCC, and TCUSA. I keep meaning to do BMWCCA and NER but I'm generally busy the weekends they run.

Also I borrowed the Z06 again, this time I went with racing stripes:

I came in 1st (out of 2 :ssh:) in the Corvette Street Tire class and got a Corvette Club hat as a prize which I gave to the Z06 owner. During the runs we were joking about how much time I was getting from the stripes, I beat 2nd by ~4seconds so we settled on that.

Also an FRS showed up and was wearing direzzas. It was running midpack times but I don't think the driver has been doing autox very long as his times were slower for that type of tire. Also it was a lesson in driver vs. car as it lost to a rental Sentra with a CVT and a very very good driver :lol:

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 17, 2012

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

bladesamurai posted:

I just started this year and I've been running with the BMWCCA so far but I'm eyeing the NESVT club because it's so much cheaper. Do you have a preference between the local clubs?

Not really, NE-SVT/BSCC/TCUSA all pretty much use the exact same format and are more laid back. The biggest difference between those clubs are what classes they have and that NE-SVT brings lunch which is why it is the only one with the membership fee.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Nice, I need to relearn my downshifting technique, I like to use the side of my foot and have problems missing the gas if I downshift during cornering. Obvious solution is don't downshift while cornering but sometimes u need to drift bro.

edit: This is the kind of run you ask people to delete :lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoXi43DC6qA

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Brigdh posted:

You might want to look at how you attack slaloms too. Your steering input seemed fairly late and quite jerky. Smooth it out, turn earlier, and go faster.

Is that commenting on one of my S2000 videos? I'm not driving the lotus, DNFing on the exit box is usually just embarrassing.

• Locked thread