Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

ryanbruce posted:

Now I feel super guilty for getting my dad off SERO for Google Fi...

I did literally the same thing :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

I have pretty much that same problem on my Pixel 3. If I go somewhere that only has 3g there is a 50/50 chance it'll never switch back to LTE unless I go into airplane mode for a minute or so.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Waltzing Along posted:

What can I expect to pay in taxes and fees in CA?

The online order thing has some small text that says "before all the extra fees we will throw at you." So the $83 which seems reasonable might be quite a bit more.

I'm in CA and the taxes and fees add ~8% to my bill.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

There's a reason for this thread title.

Try installing the speed test app and seeing what speeds your getting over cellular. Depending on where I am my speeds differ wildly. At my apartment I'll have full bars but be lucky to get more than 1 Mbps down. At my office I can easily get 7-8 Mbps, which is not great but much better than at home. The only reason I still use sprint is because it works well enough most of the time, and I also have a work phone on Verizon I can use whenever my Sprint service doesn't work.

McPhearson fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 2, 2019

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

angryrobots posted:

Did they stop putting their employee numbers on business cards? That's how I got on sero years ago.

:hfive:

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

thylacine posted:

Sounds good thanks. Why do phones get slower for no apparent reason? I don't install poo poo on it. I don't even think it's updated the system since I got it. Does hard resetting the thing fix it? My I5 34something is like 8 years old and it does not get slower, it seems to be just as fast as the day I got it. Do they program some decay into the chip (I know that's not the case, I just don't get it.)

It's not necessarily that phones get slower but that apps get more demanding. I was using a GS3 for way longer than I should have and Maps starting needing so many resources that there would be graphical glitches and the app would stutter like crazy. As phones become more powerful developers want to add more bells and whistles and unfortunately that means old phones will start feeling slower and slower as these apps are updated, even if you never install anything new. I'm sure the twitch app from 3 years ago is a completely different beast than the twitch app today. You can always factory reset and make sure you only install what you need, when you close an app make sure it's not running in the background, periodically clear your app caches, and maybe even side load older versions of more resource intensive apps (dangerous because you might miss important security updates and you're relying on sketchy APK sites for apps). In the end I would take corgski's advice and do an incremental update.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

I got my SERO account by walking into a Sprint store, asking for a business card, and putting the employee number from it in the referral field.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Way back when the Nexus 5 came out I ordered it online to pick up in store and they refused to give it to me without an accessory purchase. They actually told me it was against policy to hand out an online purchased phone without an attached accessory. I told them I had already paid for it so just hand it over, they refused, so I told them to keep it and I'll go online and get a refund. I got about a step out the door before they came after me and said they'd break policy this one time and let me have the phone :jerkbag:. It just sucks how incentivized phone sales people are to screw people over.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Just got myself an absolutely fabulous fanny pack. Thanks for the heads up!

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

otter posted:

Do they list the bring-your-own requirements?
Does it need to be a sprint phone or can it be a T-Mobile phone?

If I hit details on the offer the exact wording is:

quote:

Free after $35/mo. credit. Video streams up to 480p, music up to 500 Kbps, gaming up to 2 Mbps. During congestion, the small fraction of customers using >50GB/mo. may notice reduced speeds until next bill cycle due to data prioritization. Unlimited data on our network. Reqs new line and eligible BYOD or Full SRP phone. Account, plan, or device changes may end monthly credit. Other mo. charges apply.**

They do not list the byod requirements. If you try to open the line the FAQ says to check if the device is eligible you have to put in the IMEI on their checker tool.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

It looks like they're still letting you switch from SERO to SWAC. I really dragged my feet on that and didn't fill out the form until yesterday.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

RodShaft posted:

Is quibi as stupid as all the advertising makes it look?

https://twitter.com/zachraffio/status/1250273191810875392?lang=en

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

EdEddnEddy posted:

Yea I have had no problem with my old Sprint SIM Roaming onto all sorts of towers I wasn't before the merge so I really don't care to swap to a T-Mo one anytime soon.

I do wonder though, if you swap sims, does it enable things like VOLTE that doesn't work on a non Sprint Branded phone before? My 2XL has not been able to do WiFi calling or VoLTE on Sprint ever, but my Essential Phone which was Sprint worked fine with that of course, even though internally both phones are nearly identical give or take.

My unlocked Google Store Pixel 3 uses VoLTE with a Sprint SIM. It was disabled by default and I had to enable it, though. Settings > Mobile Network > VoLTE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Looks like the new "on us" thing is Netflix Basic if you have 1 line, Standard if you have 2+.