Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

td4guy posted:

Yeah, there's no avoiding that $10 with a smartphone.

Fixed that for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

TLG James posted:

Anyone have a good car mount for the evo 3d that'll attach to a AC vent?

I have this generic one:
http://www.amazon.com/Arkon-Universal-Removable-Swivel-Incredible/dp/B003XAF4YQ/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1333297890&sr=1-7

Just clip it on with the screen off because it will click the camera button when you first attach the phone.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

r0ck0 posted:

Whats sprints upgrade policy? I'm planning on becoming a new customer with the samsung galaxy nexus but might want to upgrade to the HTC EVO1. If I open the account in mid may and get the nexus will I have the option of switching to the evo1, and what is my window of opportunity?

Edit: 14 days.

900ftjesus fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 14, 2012

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

theNewBlack21 posted:

That is orders prior to 9/16/2011. After that date their new policy is 14 days.

Source

Probably would be good to read that date, I thought it had changed at some point.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

PBCrunch posted:

I am replacing my Samsung Moment (holy gently caress I hate you so much) with a Galaxy Nexus. For some reason "Hands Free" activation didn't work and when I tried to activate online:

Which I can't call using the phone that I want to deactivate. Which is my only phone.

And now I am trying to go through the chat and the expected wait time is forty-five minutes. What the gently caress?

Probably way too late now, but call through Gmail on your computer.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Why aren't you a mod anymore? :(

Not enough time anymore. I get a bit of time per week to actually read and post, thought it would be better if someone more active stepped in.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

SpelledBackwards posted:

Only because my Evo 4G's multitasking doesn't seem to behave that differently (which I always figured was due to RAM starvation, not some intentional Sense change), so it would be similar to what I'm used to already. That's bad reasoning, I know.

Sounds like a typical Android response, actually.

Even if you buy the Nexus, you're stuck rooting it on day one just to move your apps and settings over with Titanium. It's pretty terrible that Google can't figure out cloud syncing anything more than contacts.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Bioshuffle posted:

All this talk about the multitasking thing worries me a little, but I don't really plan on running 4-5 programs at once. If I wanted to listen to music while playing angry birds and browse the internet I would just buy a tablet.

I want a phone that can take pictures, call people, send and receive text messages. If that's all I want, the LTE is the way to go, right?

You're missing the point, it ships with broken software that was broken on purpose and will never be fixed. Get the iPhone or Galaxy Nexus.

It's regarding backgrounding apps, you should be able to send your browser into the background and then bring it back up on the same page. Sense is so useless that it kills the app and makes you reload the website/app/etc again. This all just wastes battery since holding the app in what would be unused RAM costs nothing while reloading websites and apps out of flash takes power.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

heat posted:

Except it doesn't do this. I just went from Browser to Maps to Talk to Grand Theft Auto III and the browser still has the same page loaded. What sort of crazy nonsense are the people complaining about this doing to make it happen?

Here's the video of the One X/Evo LTE doing its thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Uo5f2vSxo

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

TEP is going up again? Didn't it just get raised to $8 a few months ago?

Only for LTE devices, not WiMAX or 3G devices.

traslin posted:

So my main concern with the whole multitasking issues is that I won't be able to do simple things like listen to podcasts while I am surfing the net on my phone. I'm assuming HTC is smart enough to not kill the Music app when it is running in the background, but has anyone noticed any issues with other media apps?

Barely, they are just terrible at managing unused RAM. Active background apps, like music, won't have an issue. HTC thinks that completely unused RAM is a good thing.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

iceslice posted:

Are there any good Dev sites for rooted HTC Evo 4g LTEs? Normally I go to XDA-Developers, but its full of people complaining about the phone's software shortcomings.

Don't worry, a ton of poo poo ROMs with bad fonts and worse colors will pop up soon.

If you want ROM support take it back and get the Nexus before you're stuck with that thing for good.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Oh and for the nexus vs Evo LTE debate, as expected the GNexus sells terribly. I would expect decently equivalent ROM support, the Evo seems the be the first android phone since the 4S that people actually come in asking for.

This is very misleading. HTC ROM support is typically ok on the current OS if the phone sells well. The issues don't show up until the next version of Android comes out. That's when "[ROM]JELLYBEAN-DAILYDRIVER [no camera,4g,bt]" shows up. Then you're pretending you don't want the camera to work while people reverse engineer the custom Sense drivers or wait for the official ROM.

The Nexus will have better ROM support for the next 2+ years than the Evo.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

blargle posted:

This seems to imply you won't be able to roam on LTE.

You probably wouldn't even if it was technically capable. Verizon has coverage everywhere Sprint doesn't and Sprint has almost nothing to offer Verizon in terms of coverage so I doubt Verizon is going enter some sort of agreement that Sprint could afford.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

falz posted:

Does anyone have issues with antennas or data in general on their Gnex? Sprint's data network in my area is poo poo, but I can't even download anything of a reasonable size even over wifi (such as a ~130MB CM9 nightly). I've tried this in a few locations, home and work.

I bought the phone off contract from a reputable Ebayer, it was new in box. If there is actually a problem with it I'm not sure if this would be a problem if I had to get it fixed since I don't have Sprint's phone insurance on it.

EDIT: It's under warranty, you should just be able to take it in to a store for repair.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
Sprint.com says the Galaxy Nexus is now $149 after a $50 rebate which goes to $139 after the Google Wallet credit. Good deal on the only Android phone worth buying.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

How big of a difference are you really looking at performance-wise between the 1.2ghz processors of the Nexus and the 1.5ghz of the Evo? I've been pretty down on the Evo because of the multi-tasking issues, but if that can be solved by rooting then it might be a non-issue.

Rooting should never be the solution to the problem.

That said, it's tough to really tell. The Nexus S running ICS with a single core is smoother than the Evo 3D dual core running Sense with a newer, faster CPU. But I doubt it's going to beat the 3D in a benchmark that measures raw CPU performance. I can't give any real numbers because any effort to Google benchmarks turns up a bunch of overclocked nonsense. Sense is always going to add overhead versus stock, and HTC hasn't proven to be more efficient yet, only more bloated.

Maybe HTC figured out that hundreds of MB of crap isn't helping and Sense can compete with stock, I'm still saying updates (or lack of updates) is the main reason to avoid the Evo. The argument was made more concise previously, if you want an Android phone there are plenty of reasons not to get the Evo but I can't think of a reason not to get the Nexus and now it's $60 cheaper than the Evo.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

FERN GULLY FAN posted:

quadrant scores are about twice as high with the evo. you can take benchmarks with a grain of salt but the evo has a newer processor in it. Pretty much all of htc's little battery saving tweaks have been modded by the community to get better performance. (also the screen is better, which is important since it is what you always look at.)

You lost me at "modded by the community."

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Russian Bear posted:

Sorry left out some info, I have a 150 dollars upgrade credit also. I am still on sero, so if they want to extended it another 2 years I don't care.

If I don't find something suitable I might take you up on that atomicvocabulary.

Galaxy Nexus on sprint.com is $199 - $50 mail-in rebate - $10 Google Wallet credit = $139, which is absolutely the best deal on a new Android phone.

Instead of explaining why you should buy a Nexus, I'll let the thread handle it for me:

mastershakeman posted:

Has ICS hit the Evo yet? Judging by that HTC schedule, I shouldn't even hope for ICS on my E3D until the original Evo gets it, so I'm curious.

FogHelmut posted:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/21/3108576/google-wallet-confirms-software-issue-htc-evo-4g-lte

Google says Wallet will be back "soon" for the Evo LTE. This is a huge screw up, in my opinion. Wallet was shut down just after the return period was up for most people who pre-ordered. All of these software issues, especially the lame rear end Apple patent thing, make me disappointed in this phone. I just want to click a phone number on a web page and have it call that number. I can't flash a rom that will let me do that because I can't clear Google Wallet (without editing the build.prop file, you have to be rooted in the first place to do that anyway) and it will brick the secure element.

So gently caress Apple for being Apple. gently caress HTC and Sprint and Google for using release products as beta software.

Giblet posted:

Playing with my gsm3 and I'm slightly upset that some apps I user all the time are not available on ICS. I can't even get the Samsung remote app for my tv. You would figure the leading android handset manufacturer would at least update their own apps.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

spidoman posted:

Good news guys! That year old Evo LTE, that is actually a powerful and great piece of hardware, will be two OS versions behind (Officially.) :smith:

Look, a post from June 2013!

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Concurred posted:

I get an upgrade on Sunday, and it's the day the S3 comes out. I've been torn between it and the Nexus; I know the hardware difference between the two phones, but what's the deal with the OS upgrades? I'm not really sure what that means since I've never had a smartphone before (I'm replacing an LG Remarq).

Some relevant quotes from the recommend a phone thread:

kalibar posted:

Everyone who doesn't intend to root/ROM/sperg/nerd their phones should just skip the domestic Galaxy S III's, period. Samsung shitfingered it just like they do all of their phones, and there's no planet where TouchWiz is a better experience than AOSP. Yeah, the GS3's chip is a tad quicker than the Galaxy Nexus's, but the GNex isn't exactly slow -- and the HSPA+ version should do alright on battery life (don't tell the RAZR crew, but even the LTE version isn't unbearable with the extended battery).

I dislike the HTC One X a lot. The screen looks great -- though I'm in BLarg!'s camp, I prefer AMOLED -- but the combination of more terrible Sense UI, more Beats branding, and a dogshit DAC (even though the "lesser" One S has a very good one) makes it a pretty insufferable product overall.

I'm a big fan of the international GS III since it's got the quadcore Exynos, the Wolfson DAC, and already has CyanogenMod support. But all the same, you really hate to see these guys get rewarded at all for crapping all over Android. The Galaxy Nexus is priced aggressively and it's still highly relevant. It's the best of Samsung's hardware (at the time of its release) coupled with Google's support. It is literally the model for how Android phones should be built and brought to market. Everytime we buy some locked bootloader flashy piece-of-dogshit-of-the-week (GS III, One X, RAZR/RAZR Maxx/RAZR HD, etc), we're basically saying "hey could you guys keep dumping resources into badly skinning this perfectly-functional operating system thanks."

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Of the three Android devices, the Galaxy Nexus is the one folks here will recommend, and rightly so. The big reason is that Android is amid some flux right now where new OS versions keep adding useful and compelling features, and GSM Nexus devices are the only ones to guarantee getting OS updates timely.

The One X and Galaxy S3 are actually more similar to each other than they are different. Both represent a bit of a hardware upgrade over the Galaxy Nexus, and support AT&T's LTE service. However most folks here would recommend (and I agree) that the hardware benefits to these two devices aren't worth the suboptimal software situation with them, which is that they'll get OS updates much later than the Nexus. Also, historically, HTC and Samsung devices have been a bit buggy, especially compared to iPhones.

kalibar posted:

Are you guys ready to dance this dance all over again?

Basically the next ten pages are going to people asking when (insert carrier)'s Galaxy S III variants or random Motorola derivatives of the week will get Jelly Bean.

It's not like they only release a Nexus device every 5 years. Seriously, just bypass the headaches, the shitware, and the financial rewards for OEMs who think writing overlay skins for Android is a good use of resources. If you want an Android phone, get a Galaxy Nexus. If you want something better than a Galaxy Nexus, wait to buy your phone until the next Nexus phone.

Basically, get the Nexus.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Stevie Lee posted:

gently caress. After a year of no issues with my Evo 3D, I have a portion of my touchscreen that doesn't respond at all anymore. It's a strip that almost matches up with the 3rd row of the keyboard...meaning I can't use the delete key at all.

With no insurance, how much would it cost to replace?

I think repairs are still $35 in store. If they can't actually repair it in store and have to send it away, they should give you a refurb. At least this is what I experienced last time I needed a repair, but it's been a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Giblet posted:

I believe it is public but the range is probably comparable to a mediocre wireless g router. Your neighbors won't be piggy backing off you unless you live in a paper house.

You can whitelist certain phones:
http://now.sprint.com/airave/files/AIRAVE_Access_Point_FAQs.pdf