Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

lazydog posted:

Sprint joins T-Mobile in offering free international data roaming.

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-rel...pe-or-japan.htm

You have to manually add it to your account but apparently all existing plans are eligible, including SERO.
No Canada, though. Still nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Goons, I need a new wireless router and I want that free one. How do I get one?

I called twice on Saturday and my phone (Nexus 5) doesn't qualify. They said they're waiting on an update to that phone that will enable WiFi Calling, but I'm taking that with a big grain of salt.

I'm on SERO 500 and my next upgrade doesn't kick in until March 2016 ("when I sign up for Easy Pay or Sprint Lease" - pass, right?). I have one line but qualify for more. My understanding is that only Spark phones are qualifying phones - is that correct?

If so, I see that there is a Galaxy S4 that I could add for $0 down and $10/month for 2 years - is that just for the phone, or for the service with my 2nd line?

Could I open a second line, order this phone, qualify and get the router? And would I be paying double my current monthly for 2 lines?

If so, would I then just close the unneeded line and port my existing cell number (if needed) to the remaining line?

No, $10 doesn't include service. Go pick up a tp-link c7 for like $95 and quit trying to buy a car just for the free toaster.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

e.pilot posted:

Anybody know how to get voicemail working again after separating my number from google voice integration? Number is fully separated from google.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/voice/sB0kpiTiTH0 ?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Turnquiet posted:

My wife has a Galaxy S6. When she first got it we setup voice/hangouts for voicemail and everything was fine. A couple days ago Sprint pushed an update that once again forced their lovely voicemail app as the default, but now I cannot find anywhere to switch the default vm provider back to Google voice. Did they really just lock our vm into their lovely service?

I keep telling my wife an extra 20 month is worth getting away from Sprint fuckery but she just has to stay on this poo poo provider.

Try dialing *28[10-digit GV #].

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
Another tip: if you're due a mail-in-rebate from sprint (probably by visa check card), stay on top of that at sprintrebates.com. The $50 rebate on my S6 was initially rejected as an ineligible model. The CS rep was surprisingly great, and got that corrected in 30 seconds, but if I hadn't looked at the site and called...

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

brc64 posted:

I want the Note 5 real bad, but my 2 year upgrade isn't up until... I actually don't know anymore. I thought it was around September or October, but then one time when I checked it had gotten pushed out to like January. Now the website won't even tell me; just "Sorry, but you are not yet eligible for savings on your handset." No date listed.

So I'm really interested to find out what my options are for the new phone beyond straight full price buyout.
Upgrades were at 20 months (on a 24 month contract) until 9/1/14; after that, upgrades weren't available until 24 months. This is based on when you signed your contract, though, which was presumably Jan '14, from the sounds of it.

Another method to check: text 'upgrade' to 1311. Or you might just call and ask. The website is dumb interface trying to combine info from probably 900 different back-end systems, so it's no surprise it's neither intuitive nor comprehensive. A CSR is at least a less dumb interface to the same thing.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Re: your canadian roaming charges -- you should add on 'sprint open world'. Unlimited calling and texting, plus 1gb data, in canada, mexico, and a few other countries, for $0.00/mo.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

iluvpr0n posted:

Thanks for this tip. Should I be adding any of these other international options that are $0.00? They make it fairly confusing. I don't travel often to those places, but in case I do, $0 is a good price.

Does that mean it will overwrite the Sprint Open World add-on I just selected above?

I have 'none' selected for the rest of those radio button lists (ie, no 'sprint global roaming'), and can verify that my phone roams onto Rogers in canada and works (text+data) with no problems. (OK, it's flaky within a couple miles of the border, while it's still desperately clinging to a sprint signal, but fine after it finally jumps to Rogers.)

Depending on your phone, it may have some roaming warnings/blocks buried in its settings that you'll want to disable.

e: I haven't traveled anywhere other than Canada, so consult a support rep before flying overseas.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Kreeblah posted:

And if you try to do a magnetic stripe transaction with an EMV-capable reader and an EMV-capable card, it'll tell you to use the EMV slot, ...
Samsung pay can use either mst or nfc transmission, so it can handle whatever the terminal has available, and they're also only allowing cards from banks/issuers with whom they have an agreement, to avoid exactly such compatibility issues.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Harminoff posted:

Heads up for anyone that has an old Sprint phone laying around

http://www.cnet.com/news/got-a-sprint-phone-get-a-free-mobile-service-plan/

Heads up #2: that deal came and went yesterday.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Quidnose posted:

... after getting through the payment plans on headphones and crap they pushed on me last time, and I still have another device that I can drop off to get that down by another $15 or so beginning of next year. So it looks like I'm staying.

On that note does anyone have any advice on how to get a new device and keep my rate without getting another tablet i don't want pushed on me for a 2 year contract when I try to get a new phone?

Well, perhaps just say 'no' to all that crap?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Medullah posted:

It's First World Problems for me that I was going to try and do this after seeing some people did it on SERO, but as soon as I saw "Well, I had to get into web chat" I thought "nope, $8 a month ain't enough to get me to do THAT KIND OF EFFORT".

I did it online with no chat support needed

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

SpelledBackwards posted:

...my S7 ... the S9 is loving gigantic by comparison...
Are you sure you didn't hold the s9+? The s9 is barely any larger, unless it's just the relocated fingerprint sensor that's a dealbreaker...
S7: 142.4 x 69.6 x 7.9 mm
S9: 147.7 x 68.7 x 8.5 mm

Oh, and the pixel 2 is no smaller, it just has wide bezels
Pixel 2: 145.7 x 69.7 x 7.8 mm

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

astral posted:

Legacy SERO, SWAC, and ERC accounts was all I'd heard.

...and not all of 'em yet. Here's hoping for another wave. I sure never expected to WANT sprint to force me off of my sero plan.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
I called yesterday, and while it took annoying long for the rep to triple-check my info over a bad audio connection, she knew exactly what I was talking about when I requested converting my SERO to a Wireless Advantage Club premium acct. She filled out/submitted a form for me (which I received afterward via email; all looks in order), and it will supposedly convert in 3-5 business days...

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

WoG posted:

I called yesterday, and while it took annoying long for the rep to triple-check my info over a bad audio connection, she knew exactly what I was talking about when I requested converting my SERO to a Wireless Advantage Club premium acct. She filled out/submitted a form for me (which I received afterward via email; all looks in order), and it will supposedly convert in 3-5 business days...

Update: happened today, 3 days later. My phone's profile updated, followed by some texts and an email about the change. The website reflects the correct plan, hotspot works already, yada yada. Entirely easier than expected.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
Do still try to switch to SWAC, though... SERO to SWAC dropped my bill from roughly $54 to $36/mo, while adding some nice capabilities (hotspot data, more data in mexico/canada)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

puppy party posted:

SWAC is dead. Effective 8/2 Sprint retired SWAC. Employees can no longer invite new friends or family to join. Existing SWAC accounts are not impacted and can continue to add lines and manage their account as normal.
Alrighty then. Condolences to whoever missed it

Medullah posted:

Not that it matters in the current environment, but I stopped getting the $20 Uber credit with my SWAC a few months ago.
IIRC, that was advertised as a 12 month perk