Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Harik posted:

Thanks. What fuckers. I've got a nokia dumbphone for GSM, was hoping that the US was slowly being dragged kicking and screaming into some sort of network compatibility. Nope!

Re-asking this since it was an edit to my original question:
On network.sprint.com, are 4g towers are listed as "data speed upgrade" on the map? If so, I may have one near me, cool.

Supposedly, all NV tower upgrades are not shown on Sprint's official upgrade map. Those are just regular upgrades or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
I believe picture quality of the S3 is worlds better than the Nexus, with none of that having to do with megapixels and all of it having to do with lens quality.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

AvesPKS posted:

Why would you rather have a Nexus than an S3?

The obvious answer is faster updates.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

CombatCupcake posted:

Anyone have an EVO LTE, coming from an EVO 4g?
I'm curious how the camera lens design is improved. My lens on the 4G is all scuffed up, and pictures aren't even really worth taking. Terrible design they did, keeping the lens flush with the metal ring around it.

That's not why the pics on your 4G suck.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Dude, this week has been hell with the launch.

Iphone 4 is discontinued in store, but stores should still be able to order it. Sprint is concerned (probably correctly) About fraud issues.

I talked to a bunch of people. Most stores are getting a total of 3 iphone 5s for launch day. It isn't pretty. My store got lucky and got 4 plus 2 32GBs.

What fraud issues?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Hoppy posted:

So for anyone else who got a Galaxy S3, does the screen seem to scratch easily? I've gotten two big scratches on it, and it spends 99% of its time in my pocket or on my desk at work or home. I do not carry other things in that pocket.

For comparison, my Evo 4G and Evo 3D were under the same conditions, and never had any scratches.

The back battery cover also feels really flimsy.

Do your pants have metal things outside your pockets? I thought the S3 was supposed to have a really scratch proof screen based on the videos I've seen.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

HolySwissCheese posted:

Is there a trick for getting Sprint TV to work on an iPhone 5? I'm not on wifi and I tried calling ##UPDATE#, but I still get an error message saying it can't retrieve my account or something

You have to bypass the ghost of Steve Jobs in order to get that lovely program to work.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

Is it just me, or is LTE a lot easier on the battery than Wimax was? I generally kept 4G off on my NS4G (the battery would die in a few hours otherwise), while I keep the Galaxy Nexus on LTE/CDMA. LTE doesn't seem to make a major impact on the battery performance, whereas leaving Wimax on with the NS4G guaranteed a dead battery before 2pm.
The reasons for this are that (1) Lte is a far more mature technology. Since more than one carrier is using it compared to Wimax, it makes more sense to have the technology be as robust as possible. This also causes problems to show up more, leading to faster solutions. And (2) Lte is running at a lower frequency than wimax, which gives your phone better service. When your phone doesn't have to struggle to get service, it uses less energy, which conserves battery life.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

I assume CM10 is JB-based?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

I roamed 4 gigs on Verizon this month (and 2 gigs last month) and have yet to see anything from Sprint telling me to cut it out, so who knows what Sprint's policy is.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Soda Addict posted:

I'm planning on using my upgrade next week to replace my old Samsung Moment. I'm deciding between the Galaxy Nexus, and the Galaxy S3. Any reason I should choose the Nexus over the S3 besides having Jelly Bean available, or should sit on the upgrade and see if Sprint announces any new phones in the next month?

I think the S3 JB update should be coming soon, regardless.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

My Evo 3D has been amazingly functional since getting ICS. I'm not sure what happened to your phone to get it that hosed up, but since updating, I've had less and less of a craving for a new phone (until I saw that HTC Butterfly J with a 5" 1080p screen). It's never been rooted, but I'm sure I'll eventually get around to it once a proper JB rom gets released. I'm just trying to say that it's not the 3D's fault and is more likely some hardware or software error.

In other news, I finally received my data roaming letter from Sprint. This will be the third month that I go over 300MB roaming, but there was no immediate threat of cancellation in the letter. I can post it if you guys are curious to see their wording.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

td4guy posted:

Ooh, please do share.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

change my name posted:

Note/Note 2 owners, I really have to ask: where do you put the drat thing? Does everyone but me wear cargo pants everyday?

It's really pretty thin. I can easily fit the S3 in the pockets of my slim jeans. I think if it was thicker, that's where the problem would come in.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Ender, do you know exactly where those Jersey towers are?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Cock Democracy posted:

I live near the jersey shore (toms river) and have been seeing some weird stuff since the storm. I previously had great sprint service at my house, but now there's no regular service and it's roaming on verizon. Our area does have power. Last night I was able to make calls on roaming, but now, it plays a message saying something like, "thanks for calling verizon wireless, to continue making your call by credit card or collect call, please stay on the line for a representative... " Is verizon so overloaded that they aren't allowing my regular free roaming?

I'm in Jersey, too, and everything Sprint is down for me, too. A friend's Sprint phone is giving the same messages that you're getting. It's a dumb phone, so I don't know if that is affecting things. My phone is forced to Verizon roaming due to using a Verizon PRL, and it's working the same as before.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

Short version - think anyone will notice the snafu with not extending my contract when I call to cancel?

You don't call to cancel. You port the number, which cancels your contract.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

theDOWmustflow posted:

So it's $50 + $10 = $60 total a month on SERO with a 4G capable phone?

$55/mo with taxes.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

As for signal, it routinely is around 0 to 1 bars every day and full bars around 4-6am. I think there are too many Sprint users in Omaha or something. If I stay on 3G for even 3 hours now, I can be sure my battery will be dead by the third hour.

Is that how signal even works? I thought that if you're within range of a tower, you should get bars or you shouldn't. The number of people connected to the tower shouldn't have anything to do with it. That's what slow data but strong connections are for.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

td4guy posted:

The more phones there are connected to a tower, the smaller the tower's range becomes. That's what I've read.

I just don't get how that works. Do you mean connected by voice/data/text or just connected because the phone is on and in range?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Ender.uNF posted:

A 10x10Mhz LTE carrier

Man, you say all these cool things and make me want to believe in Sprint so badly, but I can feel it in my bones that Sprint will never be as awesome as its potential.

d[-.-]b fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 14, 2012

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

pragan4 posted:

Is there any way to use a Sprint iPhone 4S on any prepaid carrier?

Also, does Sprint still make you sign a contract to set up a new line even if you're bringing your own device?

I'm dumb, so this might be wrong, but I believe Cricket can flash stuff to Sprint phones so they work there. And you have to sign a contract but you don't use your upgrade.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

tijag posted:

i'll have to figure out how to root the Evo 4G LTE then. It feels like a nightmare on XDA. I'm spoiled by the easy root of the Samsung and Nexus devices I've owned.

Perhaps you guys can make it more clear.

I think I need to:
1) get S-OFF
2) unlock bootloader
3) gain root

Those are three separate things, and I would be trying to do all of them, correct?

You don't need to root. Just don't use roam control. Google how to change prl on your phone. Someone should have made a tutorial, but if not, the tutorial for the Evo 3D will probably work too.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Just use utorrent to download Linux isos, imo.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

mr. nazi posted:

I was told when trying to activate an unlocked iphone 4s on sprint, that they only allow sprint-branded iphones to be used on their network. What bullshit exactly is this? All iphone hardware is the same, and apparently all I am left holding is an ipod touch, worthless until my contract is up and I switch carriers?

The issue with this is that all iphone hardware isn't the same. Try googling "iphone 4s frequencies" so you can learn which branded iphones support which frequencies on which technologies, then match that to what frequencies and technologies Sprint uses.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Yeah, turning off wifi will hurt your battery more than keeping it on if you have lovely signal.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

dundun posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Palm-Wh...=item25772565eb

I'm guessing this wouldn't work on the Sprint version of galaxy note 2?

That description is really confusing. If it does work, I'd assume that they modified a Note 2 back cover by taking the inductive charging stuff from the back plate of a Pre's Touchstone-compatible cover and affixed it to the Note 2's cover. This would include the correct magnet placement and the other stuff to make it work. However, the description says that it's the original Palm back cover, so how can it be the original if it's been modified to work for the Note 2?

It seems like a nice wireless charging solution if it actually does work, though. And I can't think of a reason that it wouldn't work on a Sprint Note 2 if it works on other Note 2s.

e: and I just noticed that the main picture for the item says "plam Touchstone"

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Are people in NV areas seeing the promised deeper building penetration?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Just got my account marked for etf- free cancelation. Apparently you can call in and have them do this anytime after getting the excessive roaming letter.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

falz posted:

How much and for how long were you excessively roaming?

I got the letter about a month and a half ago and have been using excessive roaming since mid July I'd guess.

And now that I'm on T-Mobile I can actually get good data speeds (who ever thought that statement would be uttered). Getting between 1.7 and 7 megs down in all the places I normally use my phone, compared to speeds of less than 100 k down on Sprint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

I just got a check from Sprint for $35 due to an ETF settlement that I was apparently a part of. I don't remember joining any class action lawsuits, though. I left Sprint about 7 months ago without an ETF due to forcing roaming on Verizon. I've never paid an ETF to Sprint in the past. Does anyone know why I got this check? It's for Larson, et al. v. Sprint Nextel Corporation Civ. Action No. 2:07-cv-05325 (JLL-ES) Settlement Agreement.