Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Loucks posted:

"While you can?" Is there some way for Sprint to shut down rooted tethering? That would be a pain. I'm in the process of rooting my E3D so I can tether, put widgets in the drawer (why the hell this requires root is beyond me!), and use tor properly. Oh, and eventually install a vanilla Android build (AOSP? I think that's the term.) once it is stable, i.e., never, since no one is developing for my EOL phone.

drat. I should just buy out my contract and get a new Nexus when it comes out.

Off-topic: Congratulations on the marriage. Best thing I've ever done other than having a kid. Your results may vary, but I hope not.

You don't have to root to tether. You just use FoxFi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Teflon Bob posted:

The website wasn't working for me either. I was able to call telesales and have one shipped for $14 (shipping+tax).

I did this as well and paid the same amount.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
Extended battery for GNex is really nice so far. The back cover is most certainly not flush with the camera though.

The added weight is a con, but then I know there are people out there who hold the opinion that a phone should feel like a German car door closing and be nice and weighty for some bizarre loving reason - so maybe you'll like it.

Battery life seems to be much more than 15% extra. My old battery couldn't have been THAT tired but this feels more a long the lines of ~30% more life.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Ender.uNF posted:

Well after emailing dan@sprint.com I had Melanie call me back.... Only to inform me that I do not qualify for any upgrade discounts at this time. Gee, thanks, like that is new information. They won't even let me pay the $260 ETF to reset my upgrade date... She literally told me to leave Sprint or pay 650 retail for the new iPhone. I don't even know why they bothered to call me back.

I wouldn't be in this position if I hadn't switched from AT&T... They let the primary line upgrade early. Plus I'd actually be able to use data on my phone.

So watch out folks... Sprint just does not give a poo poo anymore. They are going to let a 3 line account walk away over a one-time upgrade request, despite my pointing out that I am only in this position because I switched to Sprint, and how in future years it won't be a problem because I can steal the upgrades from the other lines.

I could always add another line to get a new device but at this point I don't think I want to deal with Sprint anymore.

Flash a Verizon PRL and be done with it.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
And still no one has actually gotten the thing OTA.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Matlock posted:

I tried that about five times, and no dice. :argh:

I tried about 100 and finally gave up. I just unlocked the boot loader and manually flashed the update through cwm.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Harik posted:

where would I find a 4g tower map for Orlando? Florida looks to have good coverage, which makes the dialup I get now tolerable.

There's one on S4gru.com but it's just of towers that are going to have 4G... not that actually have it. I'm not sure if they've even started yet here in Orlando.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
This thread is so depressing.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
Those of you losing discounts or just tired of Sprint's terrible data network really need to look into Prepaid options. Having gotten off of Sprint two months ago and going prepaid with an unlocked GPe GS4 I *REALLY* wish someone would have convinced me to try this ages ago. It doesn't matter if you have an ETF, it'll still be cheaper in the long run and most importantly you'll get to use your smartphone the way it was intended (with fast, reliable data.)

I pay $55 (flat with no fees/taxes) a month for 2GB of ATT LTE and unlimited voice/texts. This even includes tethering.

I was paying $71 a month before with my Sprint 25% discount but the data was almost completely worthless.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

dundun posted:

Legacy Sero user chiming in. I signed up in '07, and even after they implemented the smart phone fee and 4g tax, its still the cheapest option at ~54 a month with 500 mins and unlimited everything else. As lovely as they have been the past 6 years, it seems Sprint is finally getting its act together in regards to closing down Nextel to free up the frequency, rolling out LTE, etc... doesn't make sense jumping ship now.

Do SERO users still get 2 year device subsidies and everything? Not that it really matters.

Sprint was supposed to be fixed 2 years ago and it never happened. I've been paying monthly for a service I can't (effectively) use. The promise of them getting better has been lingering for ages. I was picking up LTE on my Sprint GNex before I finally abandoned the network. Guess what? It's garbage on 2400mhz, penetration wise, just like WiMax was. It was also slow (for LTE.) On top of that Sprint is only utilizing 5mhz wide LTE channels instead of 10 like ATT and Verizon. And yes, they are JUST NOW shutting down Nextel's 800mhz spectrum to free it up for LTE... given their track record, how long do you think it will be before you, forum user dundun, has a phone capable of using that spectrum in a market that has it utilized. 2015? Maybe.

Meanwhile you will be able to buy the unlocked Nexus 4 successor that is coming out in 2 months for $300, pay $55 a month to use it on fast/reliable 10mhz wide LTE channels that you can tether to, have a fully unlocked phone that works internationally, and get a device free of "Sprint Navigator" that gets updates as they are released.

Unlimited data? What a joke.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Duckman you're right on the spectrum. My mistake. It's still fairly high and had bad building penetration in my testing.

Jensen fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Aug 22, 2013

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

averox posted:

You'll be prorated for the part of the month you've used.

No you won't. You have to pay the entire month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Mahoning posted:

Don't listen to this man. This isn't true at all.

I just went through this. I was told if I went one day into my new cycle I'd be charged the entire month by two different sprint reps.