Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
My Google-fu is failing me....

I have something like this:

code:
NSArray *someVals = [NSArray arrayWithObjects: @"one", @"two", nil];
[NSPredicate predicateWithFormat:@"user == %@ AND ANY relatedThing.value IN %@", 
    [TheUser sharedUser], 
    someVals];
Works like a charm!

What I want is sort of the "inverse" of this, which the predicate guide says 'NONE' is for, but...:

code:
// according to the guide, this should do it
[NSPredicate predicateWithFormat:@"user == %@ AND NONE relatedThing.value  IN %@", 
    [TheUser sharedUser], 
    someVals];
// but it returns everything!.

// so I tried this, but it crashes
[NSPredicate predicateWithFormat:@"user == %@ AND ANY relatedThing.value NOT IN %@", 
    [TheUser sharedUser], 
    someVals];

// and this
NSPredicate predicateWithFormat:@"user == %@ AND ANY (NOT (relatedThing.value  IN %@))", 
    [TheUser sharedUser], 
    someVals];

// and this
NSPredicate predicateWithFormat:@"user == %@ AND NOT (ANY relatedThing.value  IN %@)", 
    [TheUser sharedUser], 
    someVals];

What stupid, obvious thing am I missing that someone will point out to me in 0.004 seconds?

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I have a screen with a bunch of UITextFields. They all have incremental tags on them. When I focus on the first text field (r any other one for that matter) and hit the TAB key on my keyboard in the simulator, every single text field has textFieldShouldBeginEditing: called on it, with no other delegate notifications called at all, even on the one that was first responder.

Has anyone else seen this? Is it a simulator bug (I do not have a bluetooth keyboard to test on device)? It's causing all sorts of awful stuff to happen since a couple text inputs display popovers to let the user select a value. It's very likely users of this App will have keyboards, so it's something I need to address.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

tarepanda posted:

Is there a way to process the camera stream without taking a picture?

For example, to open the camera and look for a QR code, then display the data once the code is found, all without the user taking a picture of the code?

If reading QR codes are your actual use case, we are using ZBar with great success to do QR code scanning in one of our apps at events; the scanner view is just a little subview in the main view controller.

http://zbar.sourceforge.net/iphone/sdkdoc/index.html

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

tarepanda posted:

I was looking at that and zxing, but my main problem is getting it to work "live" rather than after you take a picture.

They have a sample app you can DL which does exactly that. I'd be happy to post code as well for our "always on" view in a view implementation as well.

\/\/ Sure thing. I'll have to do it tomorrow when I'm at work so it will be a bit, but I'll get it up somewhere for you.

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 30, 2012

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

tarepanda posted:

Oh, shoot. If you could do that, it would be a big help.

I forget which sample app I ended up downloading to look at, but it was only for taking a picture and scanning. I'm heading into work now and will look again.

So, here's a very bare-bones but working "live" scanner. This was written with 4.3, thus the non-use of ARC.
code:
#import <UIKit/UIKit.h>
#import "ZBarSDK.h"

@interface BarcodeScannerViewController : UIViewController <ZBarReaderViewDelegate>

@property (nonatomic, retain) IBOutlet ZBarReaderView *barcodeScanner;

@end
code:

#import "BarcodeScannerViewController.h"
#import <AVFoundation/AVFoundation.h>

@implementation EPBarcodeScannerViewController

@synthesize barcodeScanner = _barcodeScanner;

- (void)viewDidLoad
{
    [super viewDidLoad];
    _barcodeScanner.readerDelegate = self;

NSArray *devices = [AVCaptureDevice devices];
     AVCaptureDevice *theCamera = nil;
     for (AVCaptureDevice *device in devices) {
         if ([device hasMediaType:AVMediaTypeVideo]) {

if ([device position] == AVCaptureDevicePositionBack) {
                 theCamera = device;
                 _barcodeScanner.device = theCamera;
             }
         }

}
}

- (void)viewDidAppear:(BOOL)animated
{
    [super viewDidAppear:animated];
    [_barcodeScanner start];
}

- (void)viewDidDisappear:(BOOL)animated
{
    [_barcodeScanner stop];
    [super viewDidDisappear:animated];
}

// this is important if you rotate!
- (void)willRotateToInterfaceOrientation:(UIInterfaceOrientation)toInterfaceOrientation 
                  duration:(NSTimeInterval)duration
{
    [_barcodeScanner willRotateToInterfaceOrientation: toInterfaceOrientation
                                        duration: duration];
    [super willRotateToInterfaceOrientation:toInterfaceOrientation duration:duration];
}

#pragma mark - ZBarReaderDelegate
- (void) readerView: (ZBarReaderView*)view 
     didReadSymbols: (ZBarSymbolSet*) syms 
          fromImage: (UIImage*) img
{
    _errorLabel.text = @"";
    ZBarSymbol *symbol = nil;
    for(symbol in syms) {
        break;
    }
    NSLog(@"scanned code: %@", symbol.data);
    // do something clever with your scanned code
}

- (void)dealloc {
    [_barcodeScanner release];
    [super dealloc];
}

@end
Then in your View controller's NIB, drag out a view, position / size it, and in the Identity Inspector, change it's class to ZBarReaderView and hook it up to the outlet in the controller.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

the talent deficit posted:

Any tips or pointers for where to look for a decent crash course in iOS programming without using Interface Builder or Storyboards? I'm a semi-experienced iOS dev but until now I've mostly worked on networking code and server side integration, I haven't really had much exposure to views. Team turnover has forced me into a position where I really need a better handle on higher level concerns. The other team members avoid using IB/Storyboards completely, so I'm kind of lost as to where to look for things.

The Stanford iOS cours videos (the 2011 ones w/ ARC and Storyboards) were very helpful to me in learning Storyboards.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Design pattern type question... I have a core data model, with a List object that contains Item objects. I'm using a fetched results controller to display the "list of Lists". When a user taps on a list, they go to a detail view showing a list of Items. Since they can add / edit / delete items, it would be nice to have a fetched results controller here as well so it can handle updating the table for me. Is it "normal" to create a second fetched results controller for this 2nd table, despite the fact that I have the collection of items available as listInstance.items?

If that is so, what is the most appropriate NSpredicate for the fetch on the 2nd fetched results controller?

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 20, 2012

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
(Yet Another) Core Data question that I can't find the right google for....

I have a List object. It has Section objects. A Section has Item objects. If I want to display all Items in a list, grouped by Section, I can do that easily using a FetchedResultsController: fetch Items, and group by section.name. Hooray!

However... A Section might not have an Item in it, but I still want to show that in the table view (I will display a 'no items' placeholder row, and each section has an 'add item' button in the header.)

Is there a way to do that via a FetchedResults controller? I can manually do it by fetching Sections, putting them in an array and so on, but as this table will be heavily edited, using a fetched results controller will allow me to be lazy.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Paolomania posted:

Noob problem with UIWebView that is driving me nuts:

90% of the time when this happens to me, it's because I forgot to change the class of the view controller in my storyboard from UIViewController to MyCustomViewController.

As for loading your HTML into you UIWebView, correct, you either load a string or a loadData to the view a la:

code:
NSString* path = [[NSBundle mainBundle] pathForResource:@"myFile" ofType:@"html"];
NSURL* url = [NSURL fileURLWithPath:path];
NSURLRequest* request = [NSURLRequest requestWithURL:url] ;
[_webView loadRequest:request];
or

code:
NSString *htmlPath = [[NSBundle mainBundle] pathForResource:@"myFile" ofType:@"html"]; 
NSString *htmlString = [NSString stringWithContentsOfFile:htmlPath encoding:NSUTF8StringEncoding error:nil];
[_webView loadHTMLString:htmlString baseURL:[NSURL fileURLWithPath:[[NSBundle mainBundle] resourcePath]]];
The second example is in the viewDidLoad of a navigation-based app I have in the store, so I know it works in that context.

I found cleaning target helps a lot too when wondering why changes in web views weren't showing up; maybe it clears the view's cache or something? :iiam:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

stray posted:

Has anyone seen a good write-up on implementing the popular "pull down to trigger an event" UI behavior for iOS? I'd like to do something similar to what the Yelp app does when you're looking at the details of a place that has an image. (Tweetbot for iOS does something similar on profile pages, though it doesn't trigger anything; all it does is stretch the user's cover image.)

Here's a rough sketch of what I'm talking about :

Essentially, what I'm talking about is having an image whose top edge is flush with the top of the view, but which is not entirely visible. When you pull down on the "info" portion of the view, the image remains flush with the top, but as you pull down, it reveals the rest of the image. If you pull down far enough and release, an event or method is triggered; however, if you don't pull down far enough, the "info" portion will snap back up to its earlier position.

My initial thought is to add the "info view" as a sub-view over the image, and then use a gesture recognizer to listen for swipe down... move the info subview in concert with the swipe, and when the swipe is released, check the distance of the swipe vs. your "trigger" value, then move the info-subview back, or leave it and run whatever code you want.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Doh004 posted:

Just upgraded to 6.1 on my machine and I'm running into simulator issues. I sometimes get "error: failed to attach to process ID #" after switching from the iPad simulator to the iPhone simulator. I also can't run the iPad simulator and while it's running, change it to iPhone and do a command + r to have it rebuild and change to the iPhone simulator like I used to. I have to quit out manually. I think these two are causing it?

Anyone else running into this?

I'm getting this frequently as well. My solution is to quit the simulator and hit 'Run' again until it works. Which it does magically after a certain point.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I cannot find anything via google, so once again, I turn to you kind folks. In an iOS app, I write data to a file in the Documents directory. It does so, and I can read the data back out later in the app. Hooray!

I then install a newer version of the application (downloading via Enterprise deployment) "on top of" yesterday's build. I get to the screen where I read the data file previously written and:

C code:
NSUnderlyingError = 
"Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=2 \"The operation couldn't be completed. No such file or directory\"";
I have the device plugged in and am looking at the Documents directory in the Organizer, and I'm staring at the file. The app is reading other files from that directory as well. Has anyone run into anything similar?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Ender.uNF posted:

Probably not your issue but I ran into a problem storing paths, as updates are installed in a new directory and the data copied over. My old stored paths no longer pointed to anything; I fixed it by using relative paths.

After tracing back where the file path was being generated in another team members class, this was exactly my issue.

Thanks!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Hog Obituary posted:

It might have just been a talent acquisition?

Your app tweets all it's crashes now.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
speaking of core data:

Objective-C code:
// "entity" is a managed object (Note object) that has a relationship with another object.
// That associated entity has had a property set to "1" in the same context as "entity" in 
// another method that calls this one.

logger(@"The note has a related entity BEFORE CONTEXT SAVE of: %@", entity.associatedEntity);
// console shows the particular  property on the associated entity is 1, as expected

NSError *error = nil;
logger(@"ABOUT TO SAVE  CONTEXT!");
if(![entity.mangedObjectContext save:&error])
{
    // this does not log, so all is well, in theory...
    logger(@"gahhhh, error: %@", [error description]);
}

logger(@"The note has a related entity AFTER CONTEXT SAVE of: %@", entity.associatedEntity);
// console shows that same property on the associated entity is now 0
My merge policy is: NSMergeByPropertyObjectTrumpMergePolicy

Can saving the context change the value of a property, or somehow decide not to save it despite that merge policy... or something? I am baffled. I get that if I have objects in different context, or the same object in different contexts, they can be "out of sync" but here they are in a relationship, in the same context, etc...

:iiam:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I have something I can't figure out, and it could be because I'm stupid, or because I dont' understand Right-to-Left languages...

I have an app that one view is localized: iPad is set to US English, most of app is in English, but users select from one of many languages on screen A, then move to view controller B, which is localized properly for that language. All is well, but now I'm supporting my first RTL language. I am loading a new XIB for rtl languages, with things laid out differently. The problem is, the UITextFields, while being right aligned, still input in L-t-R mode: if I type 'John Doe' in, I see 'John Doe' over on the right side, when I think I should be seeing 'oeD nohJ'. I've tried using setBaseWritingDirection:UITextWritingDirectionRightToLeft forRange:[textField beginningOfDocument] toPosition:[textField endOfDocument]]]; in various places, but to no avail.

Is there any way to set a UITextField's direction to r-t-l manually? I guess I can steal the input out when they type and reverse the string, but that seems very kludgy.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Carthag posted:

Have you tried with the iPad set to an RtL language (write down how to switch back if you're worried)?

Yes, and it correctly (at least I assume correctly) puts new characters to the left of previous input. So somehow Apple does it; I need to know how too :(

EDIT sort of "fixed" I guess... Turns out if you add an RtL language keyboard and select that, your text fields will correctly handle typing in the appropriate direction, regardless of the iPad locale. I love it when things are easy.

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 25, 2013

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

orenronen posted:

A little late, but I thought I'd clarify things. You seem to have a misunderstanding about what setting a text field to RTL actually does.

Thank you for this. Very helpful!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

lord funk posted:

I just submitted a UI/Usability request through the bug reporter for UIPopoverController screen dimming to have a toggle. The new behavior in 7 automatically dims the screen behind it, but that doesn't make sense when the popover allows for user interaction (adding views to its 'passthroughViews' property).

The dimming makes sense for an alert view, because it really is the sole focus when it appears. But if you have a popover that allows for interaction behind it, it's sending the wrong message.

I think it's a question of intent. Pass through view is basically there to allow the user to dismiss the popover with the same button they brought it up with. Popovers are modal in intent: you interact with the popover only while it is onscreen according to my reading of the HIG. Dimming visually reinforces this. Maybe things changed in 6 or something, but that dimming behavior seems fine to me, since popovers are meant to be quickly used then dismissed.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

pokeyman posted:

I'm not so sure.

I see nothing to counter this in the iOS 7 HIG. The position seems to consistently avoid framing popovers as strictly modal views.

(Obviously, whether the UIPopoverController class functions according to the HIG is another question entirely. If it doesn't, that's a bug in either the class or the HIG.)

Yeah, it is kind of vague, but even the non-dimming non-modal description you quoted states that tapping anywhere outside of the popover should dismiss it. To me that reads as "while the popover is up, you either interact with it or get rid of it when you tap anywhere outside of it." I guess there are use cases for not wanting dimming to see the results of actions in the popover (like color picker for font or something) without the fade interfering, but the 'leave the popover up while you use the app' case still seems sketchy to me, and reading what you quoted reinforces that.

So, yes, there probably be a non-dimming option, but not for the reasons lord funk wants it. :)

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I found this on a design blog, but seems very appropriate to post here: Teehan-Lax posted about messing with collection view in a calendar app named Upcoming, which they created to explore UI stuff. That in and of itself is pretty cool but they talk about Reactive Cocoa which seems pretty interesting and / or cool.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

pokeyman posted:

I haven't actually written anything that uses ReactiveCocoa yet, but the one question in my mind when reading about it last year was "how does this work with collection/table views?" I don't have a complete answer but "a signal that delivers arrays" had eluded me.

Teehan+Lax open sourced all their code for that app, so go find out!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

chumpchous posted:

I really doubt investors care about something like this

"You only made 582 gazillion dollars last quarter? Some analysis guessed expected you were going to make 582.2 gazillion dollars!" (Stock tanks)

That's what investors care about!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Autolayout question:

I have a table with static cells. In my sotryboard, I dragged a button out to the left side, aligned it via the guides so it "snapped". Dragged another button over to the right side in the same fashion. Dragged a label in and "snapped" it the standard distance to the button on the left side. I want to drag it wider so the right edge snaps the "standard" distance from the button on the right, but I cannot drag to resize the label in any way. If I add text to the label, it's truncated, as the label seems fixed at the width of the 'Label' default text.

This is in the newest release of Xcode 5. Did something change in auto-layout land, as I seem to have done this before.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

lord funk posted:

I might have something helpful in the form of someone else's work: GPUImage

https://github.com/BradLarson/GPUImage

I saw this demonstrated a week ago, and it's a huge bank of filters and supposedly cuts waaaay down on the boilerplate backend code.

I just used this in an app I started on, and it's easy to use and really fast. I'm jut using it to darken and blur a user selected image, but it was 6 lines of code to do it. Good stuff.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

You wouldn't believe what kinds of things they've prototyped with it. This is a tool that the industry's best designers use or should use.

I wish I had time to learn it. I goofed around a bit when Facebook revealed they prototyped with it, and suddenly there were a ton of 'hello world' tutorials coming out, but nobody ever seemed to move past that point. If only I didn't have to fill every other role on all our iOS and web projects as well... Then I'd feel justified in taking a week and just goofing off with composer.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

NoDamage posted:

So I guess the completely obvious has occurred... did the people at Facebook not anticipate this being an issue?

http://news.fiftythree.com/post/75486632209/every-story-has-a-name-fiftythrees-story-began

A total dick move by Facebook. At least in a year, people will still be using 53's app.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Ender.uNF posted:

If a UICollectionView falls in the forest, does it make a sound?

Only if you implemented the correct delegate method.

:downsrim:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Is iTunes Connect broken / not working for anyone else? The website is in endless "your session has expired" cycles, and none of my apps in development can connect to game center. I have 3 accounts and they all are having the same issues. Apple's system status thing says everything is fine... :iiam:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Yes, after it wasn't working in chrome. Safari didn't help. Then suddenly it started working again.

Once again, posting in a thread magically fixes things!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
My math game just got approved, and since I learned most of what I know from reading this thread, here's a bunch of codes:

code:
JTYPJJ4JNE67
7LRAPYYMMFYR
YPLX4T4FMYWA
H73XXFYWJNTH
LXXL7J33AY7P
K3A73NATW3MW
Those are for the "full" version that will have all current and future in-app purchases unlocked.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Thanks for the feedback! We are having to rush out a fix for some Game Center stuff (it never showed up in testing, honest!) so I will try and sneak in some changes as well based on your suggestions. I was originally going to have the Ready pulse, but every person we had test (including a bunch of 6 year-olds) immediately tapped on it, so I left that out. Certainly wouldn't hurt to add it though!

As for technology, we used the Pop library for animations, and uh, probably some other stuff :v: . I tried hard to *not* code too much on this one, although I did the UI animations and some other bits and pieces. Lessons learned we many, but mostly from a working relationship perspective with my partner on the app.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Hmm, good datapoint. Add a 5-second delay before it starts pulsing.

I had a feeling you used pop. :D Overall, very well-done!

:ohdear: I used 4.5

Issues w/ game center is fixed, Ready pulses, and I think I might try my luck at an expedited review.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

ultramiraculous posted:

Hey, so one bug is you preempt music that's playing on the device. Just starting the app cuts off playback, and your sounds will pause/unpause music. You should be using a different AVAudioSession category like AVAudioSessionCategoryAmbient.

Also seconding reset button somewhere.

Thanks for the heads up, fixing that now.

What would 'reset' do? Remove the operands, or switch to a new puzzle (in Endless mode)?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Echo Video posted:

I just released an app I've been poking on for a while: fridge.zanopan.com. I also put a lot of work into the video.

Here are some promo codes for you folks:
KF4XX6JWRWTJ
AXARY9RLTY7R
MJYTXPKT4NHR
JH4JWHF47NTA
KFTTK6HWJXE9

Let me know what you think, please!

No Way. Yesterday, I poo poo you not, I tossed a bunch of gross leftovers from my fridge and thought I should make an app for this. I even sketched out the UI last night. :argh:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Doc Block posted:

I mainly just want to see how high my new game gets in the rankings, both in its categories and overall, preferably both daily and hourly. Like, with appFigures it showed me that one of my previous apps got all the way up to #15 in its category on iPad for about an hour when I made it free for a day, but I cancelled my appFigures account a long time ago.

edit: :lol: App Annie is based out of Hong Kong, don't really feel comfortable giving them access to my developer account.
fake edit 2: and I don't think I'm eligible for the free version, the game is made by me but it's for the LLC I started.

You can still use a free account as a corporation, and you create a second iTunes Connect account that can only access sales info. They even have a page about it on their FAQ. For free, I'm fairly pleased with them.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Doc Block posted:

Cocos2D-iPhone

Do you have any links for good resources to learn said? I'm going to be doing a couple games, and I think cocos2d is the way I'm leaning, but it's so hard for me to find good tutorials for anything that isn't version 0.9.x. I probably suck at google though.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Doc Block posted:

As to good Cocos2D resources, MakeGamesWithUs has some decent free tutorials for beginners. And there's always Ray Wenderlich's site (scroll down to the Cocos2D stuff) and Steffen Itterheim's site for his book (which is more aimed at selling the terrible book and his Kobold2D stuff that sits on top of Cocos2D).

Thanks so much for these and that other link. That makegameswithus is a million times better than anything I found last time I tried picking up Cocos2D

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Dystram posted:

I come from a web development background - HTML, CSS, JS (AngularJS and jQuery), some Ruby on Rails - and lately I've been thinking about trying out some applications development. Having recently joined the cult of Apple with the purchase of a MacBook Air, I was thinking of targeting iOS development. Would I fare okay if I jumped into iOS development? If so, what's a good resource to use to start teaching myself? I have some rudimentary C++ and C# experience if that helps.

I was eyeing Udacity's iOS nanodegree - https://www.udacity.com/course/nd003 - but, meh, $200/mo is a lot.

Hello person I know from all the web dev threads! You will do just fine: the strange looking syntax of objective-c will be the biggest "hurdle". As mentioned up above, check out Ray Wenderlich's site for tutorials on things that your first app will need, ask questions in here, and you'll be all set.

Oops, forgot the url: http://www.raywenderlich.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Is there a name for this UI thing? "scroll view Parallax Header" and related is what I've been googling, but I get things related to making an image at the top of a table view large as you scroll down. Basically, you have a scroll view that the user can swipe between view left & right. To indicate that there are more views to the right, a bit of a header view from the next view is shown, and it moves into the center above the next view as the user scrolls to it. Here's a picture which hopefully makes sense:

Any suggestions on what this is called, and does anyone know of any libraries that do this already so I don't have to suffer through making my own with my rusty iOS skills?