Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Superhero artwork is so boring. And while there are so problems with the art on Death of Superman it also kind of owns in a different way if you pay attention to how it builds and how the panel size changes until it's basically all splash pages as they beat on each other. It's not really groundbreaking storytelling, but it's kind of fun to watch.

Bad art is easy to spot because it's distracting or silly or, even worse, totally uninteresting. Boring art is never ok. You are drawing characters that can do anything and it's boring???? Ugh back onto the shelf you go. Picking on Rob Liefeld is easy and you know what? It's played out. If you are looking at his art you are reading a bad book stop it. Don't buy ugly books.

I think that it's a mistake to say that in order for something to be "good" art it has to look like it was drawn in the Renaissance. And so much depends on the whole team behind the art. Scott Kolins can look like a totally different artist depending on who is inking.

Anywhere here are some artists I dig:

James Stokoe

The first thing you notice when you pick up Orc Stain is how colorful everything is. But when you look a little closer you can see how tight his pencils are and how effective he is at conveying action. I kind of feel like he's drawing a lot from Kirby and Darrow but he does while feeling unique and fun. Also he does everything for Orc Stain! That poo poo is nuts!

Juanjo Guarnido

The Blacksad books are basically the best combinations of euro and american comics. Super crisp lines with beautiful watercolors on some of the most expressive and interesting looking characters I've ever seen in a comic. Wonderful noir style, fantastic story telling. Great great books in general.

Alessandro Barbucci and Barbara Canepa

More euro comics. They do such a good job with panel composition and creating expressive cartoon characters. Noa in sky doll is so expressive from her giant Disney eyes to her posture to her outfits. The amount of work that they put towards making her sexy without being sexual is something a hack like Ed Benes couldn't ever do in a billion loving years.

As far as bad art goes just pick up a floppy from just about any of the big 2. It's uninspired, flat, and totally lifeless. Occasionally a light shines though like Amanda Conner or Doug Mahnke but for the most part it's all interchangeable and people just eat that poo poo up I guess. Whatever.

I think this is being WAY too focused on genre, not content. Not to mention that a lot of the good artists you mention only produce something every 3-6 months. Which is wonderful, but not quite the same as producing something every 3 weeks. Plus, Rafael Albuqurque, Marcos Martin, JHW3, JRJr, Emma Rios, Amanda Connor, Tim Sale, Alex Maleev, Adam Warren... All working on cape books and all incredibly talented, and that's far from a comprehensive list. A good artist is a good artist. Hell, Brothers wrote a glowing review of Kaare Andrews X-Men work recently, which is not your 'bland' Big 2 style (even if I think the stylisation crosses into the grotesque and caricature-ish, and not in the good way).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Well, to be fair, Romita's also doing Avengers and Empowered is around 200 pages of material each time, which is close to 9 or 10 issues, so it's not like Warren's not productive.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ross is very good at what he does, and that sense of iconography is it, which means there's a narrow range of narrative that his art can support. I still think Marvels is his crowning glory. There's a smallish panel in issue... 3? I think, of Gwen Stacy in the rain after an attack by Namor, which is just breathtaking.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

zoux posted:

Are you asking me where I got five dollars?

Yeah! I want five dollars! Gimme five dollars!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Name an X-character Bowie wouldn't be great as.

Jubilee.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Be thankful. My first answer was gonna be Storm! :v:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
IIRC, Countdown is where the infamous 'Evil Mary Marvel using Kyle Rayner as a cudgel' panel is from, so there's that?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
...wait, what are those foot things Sauvage gave the elf queen? Is that a real thing?

Her story for Sensation Comics was pretty good too. And notably managed to make it's point more efficiently than the most recent story that used a similar hook.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 3, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
What would you rather he wear? Jeans? Like some common thug?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think that's Stockholm Syndrome, pal. Or is Zatanna actually pressing her face against a window in that panel and we just don't have context?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Honestly, I mostly hear Frazetta's name tied to it. So, Frazetta-esque?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

catlord posted:

Is that Quicksilver? He looks like Jughead.

The Archie reboot is going in a very new direction.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

10 Beers posted:

Look at poor Spidey's right ankle! No way that twig supports him when he tries to walk on a wall!

The New Avengers men stole all their muscle mass.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Black Bolt and Karnak are the only Inhumans I ever found interesting before Ms. Marvel.

Not Lockjaw?

And I always liked Medusa, but mainly because she's the first one I heard of, because Firestar's dorky friend in the Spider-Friends show dressed as her in the Halloween episode, and I had that one on VHS as a kid

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And then he was beat by a bunch of teenagers who didn't leave their high school campus.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hey, Prez, dude, PREZ! God that book's pretty. Which is bizarre, given some of the content.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
THIS FIST.... IS THE FIST.... THAT WILL SMASH THE HEAVENS!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And the face isn't even a thing that's rare. Mike Deodato basically fantasy casts all his books, and you get stuff like Tony Stark, Nick Fury and Coulson being drawn to look like RDJ, Sam Jackson and Clark Gregg all the time now.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
How come the Lenil Yu one has trade dress for the current SHIELD book, though?

And I really like the Adventure Comics #247 one in there, mostly because it tells the entire story in two panels/covers. Like, I guarantee you that's exactly what happens in the issue and I haven't read Silver Age Legion for years.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mister Mind posted:

She's also an inspiration for Envy Adams from the Scott Pilgrim comics. (And then in the movie, Metric provided the music for Clash at Demonhead.)

So that's why Envy's blonde in the movie? (It's petty, but I found that so distracting, because the character's look in the books seemed so tied into her attitude that it threw me off)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'll give the artist this much credit... at least the Skater has a reason for her feet to be arched to show off her legs and rear end... no reason at all not be wearing a bra, mind you, especially as she's almost got to be cold for her gimmick to work... but her pal in the background has NO excuse.

So... I guess the artist just lost the credit I gave him, plus some more for the nipples... So, he (or sh-bwahaha, let's be real) owes me the money for the comic, then?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I just assumed she switches to roller blades with 5 inch heels. Maybe throws some hot pants and a belly shirt so her costume isn't so stuffy.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There's a fine line between parody and grotesque. And between satire and just being the thing you're satirising.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also, that's not Kitty, fairly sure it's Armor.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's easy to miss because of the... everything else, but the penciller didn't even try to draw holes in Warren's jacket for the wings.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think the Sailor Moon transformation sequence broke my brain.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I completely acknowledge that TTG is a really fun show, and most of the complainers are just mad it's not aimed at them solely. But it's amusing that people who like the show act like they have the high ground when they do the exact same thing with stuff like that damning with faint praise of the original show.

They're both good, but they're doing different things, and that's OK. You don't have to pick a side.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Isn't Robin's line there a direct grab from the old show, though? Just with Menville hamming it up?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lobok posted:

Ah, a statue. Though I was pretty okay with Optimus Darkseid.

Nemesis Darkseid, surely?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

prefect posted:

The Leader blew up a whole town with a gamma bomb and only got about a half-dozen green people out of it. Most of 'em just died.

Pro: Those people's families now know their loved ones were psychologically healthy and had no hang-ups that could be emphasised in the form of a primary coloured montster-person.

Con: Death.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Also, he made some sonic blast out of playing Batman inspired death metal out of a chest-speaker. Also, he used a shark repellent.
Scott Snyder's All-Star Batman, people.

I assume the sonic blast was this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqv_LUStxDw

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

Most of Ryan Kinnaird's style is creepy crotch-centric gross stuff. There is an actual tentacle rape scene in that comic iirc. Like I said he sucks real bad :shrug:

Didn't that series have to get the MAX branding after the first issue because of that?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Well I dunno if these count since they were black and white to start but Bone and Scott Pilgrim are loving kick rear end rad in color.

Scott Pilgrim works especially well because of the focus on the female characters' hair colours. Like we get told about Knives dyeing hers or that Ramona changes hers a lot, but seeing it helps immensely. Plus BLOM's pencils scream for matte colours anyway

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

purple death ray posted:

Everything counts.

Except if you thought it sucked and it's not explicitly mentioned in the current book, then it doesn't.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Goddamn Emilio has started to look like his dad.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

wiegieman posted:

Meggan becomes what others believe she is, and she's in love with Captain Britain because he believes she's a beautiful fairytale princess. It kind of makes sense that she would have a brighter style than anyone else in the picture.

One of the many good things from Paul Cornell's Captain Britain run was him deciding that her power isn't just about receiving. If she's confident and has faith in herself, she can project that outward and inspire others to see her the way she sees herself.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bombadilillo posted:

Called the Duck Knight Returns.

Also there are darkwing duck comics.

Also those comics are really really good.

The cover of one of the Darkwing trades is literally a parody of the Miller DKR cover.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I wouldn't be shocked if the Darkwing eps of the new DuckTales features Donald in that superhero persona, seeing as the show seems to be hewing closer to the comics than the original.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bombadilillo posted:

It sounded like they are doing a whole meta universe though. "Doubt be surprised if the Boys find a vine covered castle and an ancient vial of gummiebear juice" So I have no idea at this point. The writers were given free reign to use all content with the weird exception of Chip and Dale.

Disney have this odd aversion to updating Chip and Dale since Rescue Rangers. Every other thing they've been in, they've been basically identical to their early shorts. Maybe they're afraid Tom Selleck will sue because of the Magnum PI homage? (Cuz Chip's Indiana Jones outfit isn't an issue anymore, obviously)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jiro posted:

Oh really????? Hooded figure is going to be revealed as Jean Lorning giving the reason that she's doing all of this to bring super heroes closer together. And that mind wiping revealed Dr. Manhattan to have always been a villain!

That last one is probably going to be true, by the way. I'm still sure they're gonna do the thing where Jon and Adrian switched places at some point before Rebirth so the guy you're meant to THINK is Ozymandias is really Dr Manhattan and vice versa...