Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Let me introduce myself, I'm a social disease.

GrickleGrass posted:

I personally believe it would help if GTA transitioned towards a style of combat that emphasized the importance of individual kills instead of mass-slaughter style, clearing out a warehouse of 100+ mooks before leaping onto a mounted turret to gun down attacking helicopters, etc.

It might not be what everyone wants, but I'd love to see them explore an even more realistic narrative that worked hand in hand with "toned down" combat. More of an emphasis on small arms, smaller encounters, where the placement of each bullet is more important than the rapidity at which you take down enemies.

If the combat is scaled down in this way, it may be much easier to convince the player that the characters actions as far as the missions are concerned are in line with the plots motivations. It still wouldn't excuse you running down a bunch of old ladies on the sidewalk in a convertible while lobbing grenades behind you-- but they must never deprive us of the ability to gently caress around like this, just in the same way they should never deprive us of the ability to follow traffic rules and be that kind of loser if we are so inclined.

Whenever I get the urge to play through the beginning of GTA:IV, I find myself getting disinterested once it opens up a little and you've got all this money, all these guns, and the missions have you slaughtering hordes of foes. It all felt much cooler to me when you were struggling to dress yourself decently and carrying a pistol with 30 rounds and a stolen shotgun with a few shells. Clearing a small room of four or five criminals with a pistol and a shotgun, diving behind a couch, etc. immerses me much more than gunning down endless streams of generic mobsters with assault rifles in a warehouse. Each one of those murders was up close and personal and I felt it-- much more powerful an experience than thinking to myself after a warehouse segment "Hmm, I just killed maybe ninety Italian immigrants. I wonder how my actions have affected poor Little Italy!"

I just think a quality over quantity approach to the GTA series in general would be a good direction. You should feel something every time you pull the trigger, I think. I understand that not everyone may agree with me, though, and that there are a large amount of people who want a return to that sort of senseless, chaotic, pass-the-controller-back-and-forth-with-every-giggling-death experience you had as a kid with your friends. I enjoy that, too. I enjoy both and I'm not sure exactly what sort of balance I want in my GTA.

E: VVVV Grove Street 4 Lyfe. Respect.

I know what you mean. The first stages of any game are always the most interesting when survivability still seems shaky and the game hasn't become trite yet. I wish they kept things like that, kept cops scary, and kept you as a low down thug with 2-3 mags worth of ammo, a scavenged Uzi with 1 clip, and a baseball bat. I remember the first time I played GTA 3 and wasn't sure what I could or could not get away with, all I knew was I wanted a big gun from ammunation and looked for vulnerable marks in alleyways and beat countless hookers to death in alleyways til I could afford it.

Recently I was watching Payback and I love watching the character coming up, stealing every paper bill from a charlatan hobo's hat full of donations, stealing cigarettes from a waitress while he blows smoke in her face, shoulder checking yuppies and pick pocketing their id and debit cards, buying brand new gold watches and then exchanging them in a pawn shop. Putting all money that has been ruthlessly collected into his chain smoking and the gold watches he exchanges with the man at the pawn shop for a Magnum, and you see him pick up the magnum, feel it in his hands, pop the cylinder out and then you know that moment.

I think it could be interesting if every time you ended up in a hospital, got double crossed or something, basically every time you got caught up. You'd have to start with most of your resources gone and have to slowly or recklessly pull yourself back up into the game.
I'd also like more control put into the player's hand. If I got the cash, the connects, and a piece I should be able to hire out some hoods to go and do some dirt with me.

Basically, more focus on the low-end risky business of crime. Less of having 4 mill and not meaning poo poo other than frustration if you die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Does anyone remember the joy of getting cops to accidentally open fire on innocent bystanders who may or may not also be packing and starting a crazy war on the streets ? I always tried to get the black hobo who talked about reptilians in GTA IV to get into a physical altercation with me until he accidentally swung on somebody else and got the police or other people after him.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
I think rockstar realized before GTA IV was released that a fuckton of crazy poo poo everywhere is cool, but making the game world feel more real and interactive (cover system, car trunks, physics, euphoria) is more important. I'd gently caress around in a town the size of the original liberty city if it was fun to drive around in and everything felt pretty real, and had a solid combat system.

So, I figure that's the direction they're going to keep taking their games while still finding a way to keep their characteristic humor in the game somehow. (which isn't nearly as good as it was in ps2 days)I miss the great radio ads of the past. http://youtu.be/1U4mvzp9Q5s?t=5s They somewhat made up for it by the good TV bits featuring Bas Ruten and once in a while there was a funny ad, but overall radio in GTA IV was nowhere near as the past games.

These modern era games just can't be as funny because they're not ready to be fully parodied. Our generation parodies itself and its own fads too fast for rockstar to try to me-too them when release finally happens. So most of the radio humor is GTA IV is bland at best.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007

Pocket Billiards posted:

The lack of mid mission save points in GTA IV is the main thing that keeps me from replaying it.

This is why i've never finished the game. That loving mission.

K8.0 posted:

The problem isn't the lack of mid mission save points, it's that driving in GTA4 is not fun (which makes you want to skip the driving part of the mission) and that cover shooter combat is loving poo poo (so when you get bored of playing whack a mole, you die).

Exactly.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007

K8.0 posted:

There is a huge difference between types of vehicles in San Andreas, and braking is really important for driving well. The idea that you can take every turn at top speed with the accelerator down in every car is a ridiculous fantasy people have come up with.

GTA4 driving is loving garbage, all the vehicles have awful acceleration, basically no grip, bad brakes, and suspension that is straight up comedy, which results in supercars struggling to turn inside an intersection at 30 MPH. San Andreas's driving model is not only more fun, but vastly more skillful, in large part because you can drive much faster without crashing. The greater physics detail and vehicle damage in GTA4 are great, but the way they're put to use is really really bad.

I agree wholeheartedly. Sure, cars feel more real because there is more physics to them, but... Are they fun to drive? No. Nothing makes me feel like a bad rear end quite like not being able to take a turn at a low speed on a residential street in a prime muscle car without spinning out enough to drift across the whole street horizontally and crash. I don't want them to go back to driving being as simple as it was in San Andreas, but they need to fix the feel of it, just like they improved the feel of gunplay, movement, and fluidity of characters from GTA IV to RDR to Max Payne 3.

edit: fact is, the way they made driving in GTA IV, hardly anything cool ever happens while driving and you can't really pull cool poo poo off on the fly like you could in San Andreas. Especially on motorcycles (which is probably why they tried to improve them for the subsequent games.)

Dave Mustard fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 30, 2012

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007

The Welper posted:

If they can take the refined euphoria effects from Max Payne 3 into an open world(Bullet time drive-by?) this game will be spectacular. GTAIV was good, Red Dead was great, the effects in Max Payne 3 were stellar.

Crossing my fingers.

This is what i'm praying for as well. Slow mo and dives and akimbo pistols again (why'd they get rid of them anyway?) in a GTA game, with multiplayer it'd be the ultimate game for me.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007

Bleusilences posted:

Gta4 wasnt my favorite one of the city mainly because it was,again, liberty city and I am burned out of that city for the next ten years. They also cut a lot of features like garages and modding car. But they had an improve engine, car handle differently, the shooting mechanics doeant sucks anymore and it's one of the most detailed sandbox game so far. For me it was 2 step forward but one backward.

Yeah, that's one way of saying it. They made driving and motorcycles totally unfun (super fragile motorcycle rider that drat near dies everytime he attempts to do anything cool) and made it so successful stunts happen rarely. But they sure as hell made the enviroment (all the interiors and little details) and people in it more realistic and the way they changed how police work was awesome in that you could feasibly run from police on foot without knowing about any star powerups. The cover system was a huge improvement for gunplay for sure, but the lack of akimbo pistols was a step back and less weapon variety was also a step back. Euphoria was a double edged sword in that it made hitting people with your car a lot more realistic looking and satisfying but also made every fall off a bike a tiring affair and caused at times pathetic stumbling while playing.

Basically, they took out a lot of the weapon variety (chainsaws anyone?) and awesome stuff but did make a more realistic world for better or worse, (it is far more immersive to run from police that don't know where you are telepathically), they removed a lot of awesome poo poo and not just wacky poo poo, I miss car modding, I miss launching off of the plentiful ramp trucks, I miss being so badass with a motorcycle that I could use cars, walls and concrete dividers as ramps. I also thought the gang warfare in san andreas was loving awesome and missed that a lot in GTA 4 as a way of always having an opportunity to have a gunfight against somebody other than the police and innocents.

My hopes for GTA 5 are that they keep the immersive features, take the Max Payne 3 weapon system, but allow you to carry weapons in your trunk, and most of all that that they make driving and motorcycles fun again (they did try to correct this in TLAD). I miss being able to do awesome stunts all the time. I hope that San Andreas is a funner driving enviroment than GTA IV's Liberty City, and if it's anything like the original it should be.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007

GrickleGrass posted:

I agree completely. It's not a perfect simulator by any means and that's not what I want from this type of game-- and frankly, I've always loving sucked at the driving in older GTA games but eventually got pretty good at the driving in GTA IV. Nothing beats flooring it down an alley in reverse, wheeling a 180 out the end and fishtailing off and around a corner without losing any momentum.

There's still problems with it, don't get me wrong, but I can't wrap my head around why anyone would want to revive the driving from the older games. It would feel so out of place with all of the other improvements to the series.

Maybe I was just never good enough at driving in the older games to truly appreciate it, and that could be why I feel the way I do. But I always felt the driving in old GTAs was kind of lackluster and it is the number one thing preventing me from getting back into San Andreas every time I throw it in the PS2 for nostalgia's sake. I've been spoiled by the driving in IV and can't go back-- it just feels wrong-- like the cars are all made of tissue paper with bouncy balloon wheels.

The driving feels better simply because there's more in terms of physics happening with the car. This makes it feel more immersive and that adds a sense of reward, of course, this neglects that a lot of the cars just have loving terrible traction and handling.

I got good at driving GTA 4 too but that doesn't make it 'fun' Rounding corners in muscle cars generally results in sliding across the street painfully and dinging some newspaper stand or hot dog vendor. It feels distinctly uncool and driving requires a tiring amount of caution at times. By that I mean, you have to use handbrake in concert with the real brake even for not fairly slow-moderate speed turns simply to keep from sliding across the road like giant metal hockey puck.

Bikes, well, bikes were lovely in GTA 4 and the way they changed how they handled in TLAD (& TBOGT as well I think) is a testament to that as you'll see in TLAD it's significantly harder to fall off a bike and a lot easier to control them. Default GTA 4 bikes make you fall off all the time, in San Andreas and past games bikes were awesome because you could do freeform stunts using the enviroment all the time.
You see a staircase? Well that staircase is a ramp as far as i'm concerned. A car with a low sloping hood is driving straight at me and i'm on the wrong side of the road moving at a high speed? I just lean back a bit and use the car as a ramp and blast off. Hell if you knew how to ride a bike and use the lean back and forward properly you could drive straight into a wall, pull up into a wheelie at the last moment and ride up the wall and bounce off of it and keep going on your merry way. Now THAT was loving fun. Those were fun times, the whole city was a playground for me to set up awesome stunts and dodge the popo in style.

GTA 4? Try to launch off those stairs, end up with 3/4 of your health gone and have to walk to a hotdog stand just so you can attempt a mundane stunt like that again, if you're not just straight up dead.

Don't get me wrong, GTA 4 driving, much like Euphoria, is something that both adds and detracts from the game and in the same way. They add a lot of physics and therefore immersion but simultaneously make the player feel clumsy and out of control. It simply needs to be tuned and Rockstar seems well aware of that because they've improved Euphoria from GTA to Red Dead Redemption to Max Payne 3, and improved bike handling in both GTA 4 expansions.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007

Cage posted:

You shouldnt be using the handbrake at all unless you want to look cool as hell taking turns or you want to do a low speed 180. All you have to do is apply your regular brakes until you slow down enough, then start turning while keeping off the gas/brake and when youre more than 50% through the turn it should be safe to start punching the gas again.

No, you should be and I always want to look cool as hell taking turns, that's why i'm playing a video game... The handbrake causes you to spin out allowing you to quickly pivot around a corner, the actual brake stops that spin out once you have pivoted to the degree you want and allows you to regain control out of the handbrake maneuver.

Generally, I use the handbrake to pivot the rear end end of my car around the corner to the degree I want, tap the real brake once it reaches that point to stabilize and continue accelerating (I even went as far as binding brake to shift (instead of just using s) because it's required to use it to take turns in GTA IV) I can't imagine how boring it must be to play slowing down all the time for every turn and never doing power slides.

sirbeefalot posted:

Anyone have issues with the mouse in GTA:VC on PC? I'll load it up and have to fiddle around in the menu for 5 minutes every time just to get it to recognize input from the mouse (i.e. mouselook and LMB/RMB actions don't work). I can't figure out exactly why it eventually starts to work, just that jumping in and out of the menu seems to do something. Even clicking on menu items doesn't work at first. Once it starts working, it usually is fine until I quit the game again, then I have to do it all over again next time.

This is the only game that does it. I just played through GTA3 without any problems like this. Both were purchased as part of the "Classics" pack with every GTA except IV and its expansions.

Any suggestions to try? I'm using a Logitech MX Revolution.

Yes, there are fixes for this. If you google you'll find them, I had the same problem with GTA: SA. I had to run it in compatability mode for windows 98 and uninstall my Microsoft intellipoint software and that fixed it. It still bugs out sometimes and I have to alt-tab out and then click the game and press space or click to regain mouse control. The fix is probably slightly different for VC.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007

TheGoatFeeder posted:

Finally gone back to San Andreas after not playing it for ages, and compared to GTA IV and RDR its seems massively difficult. I managed to get through Los Santos alright, the only mission that gave me too much difficulty was that bloody train one (i'm pretty sure that was the reason I gave up last time), but now i'm out in the countryside and yeah it seems way harder than I expected. Trying to do the first 'Truth' mission at the moment which needs me to steal a combine harvester, and yeah, its getting pretty frustrating. I'm not sure its just difficult across the board, there just seems to be some missions that are massively harder than the ones either side of it, not sure if the whole game plays out like that.

Also, on a related note, not sure if i've done something wrong, but I have little to no money (I have pretty much entirely focussed on story missions), which is pretty annoying because it means I can only save back on Grove Street, or in that town right in the SW of the map near Mount Chiliad which is pretty annoying when i'm nowhere near either.

I'm playing through SA right now, kill drug dealers, aka the white guy's in hoodies standing around, and the black guy's with gold chains. They usually stand in place with their arms crossed on the streets. Generally, they drop around $3,000 or so.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007

klen dool posted:

Are you suggesting that using Motionjoy and my xbox360 gamepad in SA I can have analogue acceleration? Because that would be amazing!

Vaguely related question - I tried playing SA recently, and the first motorcycle chase mission where you have to kill the guy was almost impossible for me. I was riding with keys, and aiming with mouse, but when on a bike you can't seem to aim at all - you always shoot straight ahead. I always use keyboard and mouse for gunplay, and joypad for driving. I can't remember that mission being hard! Am I missing some config?

No, you're just underestimating the autoaim you get when doing driveby's/shooting on motorcycles. It's like laser accurate (which is why playing against goons in sa-mp was never fun) and will shoot the gently caress out of the guy, he'll even wait for you when you gently caress up so just try to stay on his rear end and make sure you fire your gun when you are close to him and let it rip. Take plenty of Mac10 ammo cause OG Loc can't shoot for poo poo so you have to do most of the damage.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Since I got sick of Max Payne 3 I decided to get EFLC. Is there anything I can do to increase my performance? (other than loving with the options and resolution)

So far, i've set my Nvidia settings for the game's pre-rendered frames to 1 which seems to have helped a good deal but i'm looking for a bit more. I know there have been some mods released but i'm not in the know. I know there were some key things I did when I had GTA IV that increased the performance a buttload but can't remember.

Also, i've got 8gbs of ram, is the game utilizing it? How do I make it utilize it?

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007

Cage posted:

I know you said "other than changing game options" but just as an FYI Ive found that shadows and the draw/detail distance are the biggest performance killers.

Hmm... well, I dropped shadows to low from high, I don't mind because the game feels so much more responsive, even though they do look really odd and ugly.

Does anyone know how to lower weapon prices? I'd like to reduce the price on molotovs so I can use them more often, they're kinda ridiculous at $500 a piece for a bottle of gas and a rag.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
What? I thought TLAD was way better than TBOGT myself. Even if for the sawn off shotgun alone. I don't know, I think Johnny looks way more badass than any of the other protagonists in the IV series, too. Plus, I just like riding bikes...

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
And if you have an Nvidia card, set pre-rendered frames to 1, and set the power management mode to max performance.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
All i've got to say is that the guy in the new picture is definitely not a 'black' guy. Definitely going to go with Mexican, and likely an East LA setting. While black guys may like pitbulls (RACIST) my mexican homies were always the ones with pitbulls, rottweilers and lowrider bikes.

Liquor store in the background points out to the ghetto setting. It would make sense being that we've already had a black character for a San Andreas game and mexican gangs or characters pretty much untapped but totally a great subject for a gta game.

I'm guessing the mexican character is going to be the counterpoint to the organized older career criminal. Anyway, i'm loving PUMPED, bro.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007

webmeister posted:

Yeah, looking again that guy does look more Hispanic than African-American. Maybe him and the older guy are related - father and son maybe?

Personally, I doubt it. The first guy's facial structure is pretty european, this guy's facial structure and complexion is far more mexican mexican, not 'could pass for half-white' mexican.

I think him, holding that baseball bat, liquor store in the background and dog on a chain is signifying that being the hood part of the game, and the other character with the monologue I assume is going to be the super organized Robert Deniro HEAT type of criminal.

If that's what they're doing I think it'll be great. I always prefer the beginning in GTA's and most games in general when you're just making do with your barebones equipment. I tend to lose interest when the main character gains too much power, weaponry, whatever. Los Santos is most interesting when the Ballas are actually a threat to you because they got better guns than you and all you've got is a knife or baseball bat or a dinky starting pistol. Or when Niko's driving his cousin's lovely car and barely getting ahold of his first glock, I guess because those parts of the game are the ones that require the most thinking and playing to your strengths.

In most GTA games, you hit a point where the game just becomes whacky because you have a giant mansion or jets and helicopters and what not, maybe a minigun. The challenge begins to disappear and the missions begin to become tedious repeats with little set piece sequences. The flipside being that all those things I mentioned above are still fun and people still want them in the game, so maybe our experienced criminal character is made for that purpose, so that our other character's story can remain in the hood and not get to the point absurd extravagance.

If we look at Gay Tony and Lost and the Damned, Gay Tony had all the stunts and crazy, whacky poo poo, and Lost and the Damned while it did have some crazy poo poo it wasn't nearly as much and it had the awesome gritty stuff like the sawn off shotgun and motorcycle gang dynamic. Basically, i'm thinking the white guy's gonna be our Luis or Tommy Vercetti, and the Mexican dude (Yeah, you guys keep saying hispanic but being that this is LA, I really doubt he's going to be a puerto rican...) will be our Johnny. I personally love being able to have some other thugs rollin with me and doing all that small time hood stuff with the gang and what better subject than the LA cholo culture. Let's hope they bring back tattoos and the clothing options cause i'm ready to get my cholo on.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
If they released an HD Vice City + Vice City Stories for PC pack updated to be compatible with 360 controllers i'd definitely shoot my cashload into their moneybag.

EDIT: GUYS, please can we stop reminding us pc gamers that we'll never get the chance to play a good western shooter? Everytime I see RDR it makes me cry inside. As much as i've wished for a surprise RDR release I don't see it coming, and the 360 framerate makes me cringe so it infuriates me even further. *sigh*

Dave Mustard fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 31, 2012

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007

Sentinel Red posted:

What is this poo poo? Racking up body counts in the high five figures is fine but you freak out over the thought of shooting a digital woof-woof? I'm gonna make it a point to kill every goddamn dog I see in this game now. gently caress 'em, the vile, slobbering, wet-nosed, hair-shedding lil' bastards. :colbert:

Seriously, those kinds of posts make me laugh. I remember being in 4th grade giggling at parking my car on an old lady carrying her groceries home, but dogs and lady cops are SACRED.

I wonder if people would drive carefully to not hit stray dogs if they added it to a GTA game? And eventually, after accidentally killing them enough times just not care. Which reminds me, stray dogs & cats digging through trash and crossing streets would definitely create a greater sense of realism in the cities.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Dismemberment has been sorely lacking in most games since ragdoll physics became a mainstay. IT'S A drat SHAME. I want to see somebody's intestines spool out across my windshield with PHYSICS.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
I played through both of the Arkham games with keyboard and mouse and did just fine.

BUT, this is one of the few games where I wished I had a controller at the time, only because using 4 directions (wasd) isn't good for quickly and accurately facing enemies to target them. Of course, you can overcome this by boosting your mouse sensitivity and simply facing the enemies you wanna attack but when I get into the groove of things and i'm facing a fuckload of enemies I usually want to focus all my attention into keeping my combo going and countering on time. The only scenario that was particularly hard to deal with on a keyboard was dodging/countering knife swings.

Other than that, pretty much every game is easily adaptable to keyboard and mouse (exception for fighting games but some people prefer KB even for that so who knows). I remember when I got a controller again and decided to try GTA 4 again thinking, maybe I was wrong and the cars aren't that bad and it was just the keyboard... but nope, the driving is so heavy handed and unresponsive in GTA 4 that it actually made me drive worse.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

I never understood people saying TLAD had "better" motorcycle handling. To me it just seemed your rear end was glued to motorcycles so you could gently caress up more without falling off. Drive around in one of the stupid cruisers at low speed and try hitting things and watch as you magically stay in your seat no matter what happens
!

The motorcycles fish tailed and spun out significantly less, tiny impacts didn't cause you to go flying. The amount of bikes they added too added a much larger range of bikes with different stats.

I haven't found any good gta iv handling mods that really deliver but if you do let me know.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
If I got EFLC from steam, how do I downgrade my EFLC from 1.0.3.0 to a moddable version

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007

davebo posted:

Well that's what I'm saying, of course it looks as good as it ever did, just like Super Mario Brothers looks as good as it ever did. I'm just saying that if there were a market for it, they could make some money updating the graphics while keeping everything else the same. It's no different than companies releasing Street Fighter 2 with the redone animations. I really liked that Bionic Command rearmed, and that was something they completely redid the graphics in a 3D engine, but kept the gameplay the exact same so it still felt 2D. This rerelease is good for people who never played the originals, but how many people have GTA3 and Vice City for consoles or PC and don't see a need to repay for the same game but on a system you have to keep poking the screen? I'd be interested to know if a lot of people would rebuy the game on pc/consoles if they did nothing at all but update the graphics. The problem a lot of old 8 and 16 bit games have is even with updated graphics the gameplay or story mode aren't really deep enough to charge more than $10 for in today's competitive market, but I'd say the GTA ga

I'm old now. I have a dangerous mix of disposable income and nostalgia. Farm it out to a third party and take my money!

Yeah, of course there is a market, I already posted about it. The original pc releases of Vice City and what not are not compatible with many modern controllers with analog triggers and what not or require a retarded amount of fiddling around to get them to work. If they re-released Vice City with these updates they've done and basic 360 controller support to something I actually own and would want to play games on (my PC) at a reasonable price $35-$25, then i'd buy that poo poo in a heartbeat.

Will they do it? Sadly probably not.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007

The Dave posted:

Someone got the wrong "Gran T..." thread.

I just re-read his post like 3 times, looking back and fourth at the link with my mouth agape trying to compute what was happening.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
What i'd really like is a GTA 4 mod that just adds random gangs roaming around the city so I could get in fights cause it gets boooooooring as hell.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007

lady blue shanghai posted:

I'm glad this thread is here because I need to vent a bit. I've had San Andreas (PS2) for years, and a few days ago I decided to finally play it. I'm surprised at how much I'm struggling, considering Vice City and III are some of my favorite games ever and I'm really good at them (not that they're super-challenging).

The driving in SA feels bad. Is this related to the skills progression thing? Likewise, I kept falling off my bicycle in the very early missions, until it said I had leveled up and therefore would fall off less. Are they loving serious? I swear, I have been paying attention to all the little prompts but I just don't "get" the game. Do I have to level up my guns, too? Is that why I'm getting slaughtered in every mission that involves gunplay? When I think GTA I think of games you can pick up at any time in the story, and have lots of fun. But I'm feeling like SA wants me to grind my character/skills and will punish me if I don't do so, is this accurate?

When I push the gun button, half the time CJ looks directly BEHIND himself, so not only do I miss out on the autotarget but I have to swing the slow-rear end camera around back in front of CJ so I can free-aim at the actual targets. Why on earth? Also, the camera when I'm in the car is terrible; I can't figure out if it's just "lazy" or if the camera lingers because it looks more ~cinematic~. I find myself tapping the rearview mirror constantly whenever I'm in the car because when you release the two buttons pressed for rearview, it resets the camera to be above and behind the car, where it should be.

This post is way too long, and I don't want to keep whining about the game but so much of it seems jank and it's very weird for me to be so terrible at it, coming from VC and III (both of which I have played in the past few years, so it's not just the nostalgia talking).

Currently I'm stuck on the Big Smoke mission with the Russians, and before that it took me 20 tries to beat the Big Smoke mission where you shoot at the train. I can't figure out if a) the missions are just designed horribly with almost nonexistent margin for error, b) I'm missing something obvious like "grind before your do the story, hurr" or c) I just plain suck at vidya. Pretty sure it's still really early in the game, story-wise, right? I feel like I don't have a prayer of beating this. Yes the cheats are fun but I never NEEDED them before in a GTA game. :qq: P.S. how do you turn off cheats because I put on a bunch of them and ran around super-punching for about an hour but now I'm bored.

The driving in SA is significantly more complex compared to vice city and gta 3. Use your handbrake more and place more emphasis on getting a good car to drive because they don't turn on a dime anymore. And if you think the driving in SA is hard or bikes are bad, don't even think about playing GTA 4, lol. As for the guns, I personally didn't have that problem at all because I played on PC which meant I could headshot everyone with ease using mouse freeaim, so the starting pistol was as deadly as anything else. Headshots do count in this game and aiming at gas tanks is important as well for killing gang members exiting their cars or destroying their cover. The only time you will be literally forced to grind some stupid skill to complete a mission is this one part where you need to grind your swimming skill up so you can do a mission which pissed me off like facrazy. Anyway, you gain skill levels about at the same rate which you acclimate to the game, and it's not too bad a learning curve from the past games, but it seems pretty steep because the cars finally have some physical properties behind them, the sports cars are obviously much easier to drive, namely the infernus, I also love the sabre gt, the SULTAN (suuuuper easy to drive, pretty fast and looks cool to boot.) The lowriders are gonna be your most physics-y things to deal with. Bikes (the pedal kind) are a skill unto themselves but are really fun if you just play around with them, practice different things like wheelies and stoppies and beating your previous times, and jumping over cars, your bike skill will level up pretty fast if you do that.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007

wa27 posted:

GTA3 was the only game to ever truly amaze me. I remember the first time I played it was at my cousin's, and it was also the first time I played the PS2. I had never heard of it and I had no concept of sandbox games (especially coming from the N64). Simple things like being able to steal any car, listen to and change the radio stations, and get into a police chase at any time just blew me away. Nobody ever told me a game could be like that! I ended up buying it for PC as soon as it was released and put so many hours into it that summer.

I went back and played through it recently and it was still really great. Some of the missions were annoying but it was still fun. I was afraid I would ruin all my memories of it but instead it just reminded me of all the fun I had playing it.

I think this is why everybody, no matter how old, gets so drat hyped about a GTA new release. GTA was truly the next level in games when it came out, I mean, even gta 1 and 2, were so amazing to me and I played them after I played GTA 3 for the first time but the main thing was the amount of freedom they any GTA game had at the time was loving breathtaking. I remember playing it for the first time in maybe 4th or 5th grade and thinking wow, i'm going to be playing this for the rest of my life, and I pretty much have been playing GTA in one form or another ever since.

Quick question: Does anybody know when Rockstar first started working with the RAGE engine, obviously GTA 4, but I mean, did they start working on the RAGE engine immediately after San Andreas, does anyone know?

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007

Faltese Malkin posted:

Speaking of playing through past GTA games, I've been trying to wrap up the ballad of gay tony (never finished it for whatever reason)

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think time has been friendly to the controls of the IV-era games. Going in to and out of cover doesn't feel precise, the enemies are bullet sponges, and I constantly fight with the camera. Also, those Bulgarin can go screw themselves.

On the other hand, I've also restarted up Red Dead again and that game is so smooth. The shooting is such a step up from IV and the camera never gets in the way.

Bonus GTA 3 memory: I rented it about 40 times on PS2 before I was able to buy it. I think I could still get around that map today even though I haven't play it in years.

Yeah, it's a pretty big problem. I always play Max Payne 3 and think man, i'm going to go back to GTA IV, who cares if I can't dive and do slow mo, but the loving cover usage and movement is soooo bad, it almost feels like each action is a quick time event like a resident evil melee attack or some poo poo because it takes the control out of your hands for so long, and even worse it's not responsive. If the movement/cover usage even reaches a halfway point between GTA 4 and Max Payne 3 i'll be happy.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007

nexus6 posted:

Are there mods for GTA4 to fix the little annoyances? I keep trying to give it another chance but it drives me nuts:

- Niko walks everywhere so slow, but if I sprint he has the turning circle of a firetruck
- Cars don't seem to have no weight (hitting a curb at speed seems to send them spinning) and all the ones I've tried understeer so I end up smashing into buildings.

I've reinstalled San Andreas and the differences are like night and day. I just don't feel like I have control over Niko at all compared to CJ.

Unfortunately, this is just a problem with the GTA 4 series of games. I will say Johnny moves SLIGHTLY better in EFLC compared to Niko. I haven't been able to find a mod for this exact problem and I can never play the game for long without quitting because of this. The movement on foot and in cars is very clunky and loose and tanklike. You steer niko like a vehicle rather than control him.

Thankfully, they're obviously improving this for GTA V which you can tell easily from playing Max Payne 3 and seeing how tight the euphoria movement has become. But hey, if anyone finds a mod that fixes this let me know.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007

M.Ciaster posted:

Goddamn, I forgot how good Vice City was. Booted it up earlier today and just tore rear end around the city in a Cheetah for like an hour, blaring Kavinsky and Perturbator over the radio (every open world game with a radio function should have a built in custom station that plays your mp3s), searching for packages and doing random rampages. The only problem I've got is that for some reason my game crashes when I try to fire a SPAS-12 and also when I enter an Ammu-Nation? I dunno.

Man, Rockstar should totally do a HD remake on GTA V's engine, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

I'd settle for an HD remake period, I mean, particularly with good controls, but if they did it on the V engine that'd be amazing. I really just want to return to the Miami crime wave era.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007

imranh posted:

MultIV recently posted some information, well on the 25th. here's a list of features (well ones they hope to have):

It seems alright, they use LUA so you never know we might start seeing they types of online servers that we saw in GTA:SA but in IV, that'd be cool.

There already is this but it's currently going under some major redevelopment and uses Squirrel scripting language. Their GitHub is giving me a 404, so I might jump onto their IRC later, unless that gives me a 404 as well, and see what state their mod is in at the moment.

Something I think both these mods need, to take off properly, is a server masterlist though.

In a perfect world Rockstar would release mod tools with the PC version of GTA:V but I suppose we can all dream.

I didn't even know this was going on. But since it'll still have GTA IV's movement and handling I just won't really want to even play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007

teethgrinder posted:

Sidenote, GTA IV scales surprisingly well to modern PCs. That said, I had to run it on the shittiest settings prior, so maybe it's just relative.

Year: 2014...

And I still don't agree with that statement.

I can't wait for them to just do the drat PC announcement.

• Locked thread