Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

kri kri posted:

Anyone know where to get Gay Tony PC for cheap?

It occasionally rolls around in a steam sale for absolutely loving nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Himuro posted:

TLAD's ending was great in that they basically gained nothing. Usually in GTA fashion, the hero gains something, either revenge or riches, sometimes both. In TLAD, nothing is truly gained by "winning". Yes, they kill off their old leader, but at the price of their gang being basically defunct and out of commission. It felt like, for the first time in the series since III, the writers didn't glorify the business or the gang life, but the opposite. It wasn't bittersweet either. I felt the same way about III's ending: nothing is truly gained except Claude's life and a fireworks fiesta.

I also think that TLAD was GTA4 done right. That said I really did abhor the prison mission itself. It just wasn't fun.

I have nothing against a more realistic GTA, and I felt that TLAD did that formula pretty well.

Still, despite liking both Gay Tony and TLAD, I ultimately felt both games were forgettable. I ended up beating them and taking it back to gamestop after beating them because I knew I'd never play them again. I even bought GTA4 along with TLAD and Gay Tony so I could give it another shot, but...when I played it I couldn't stand playing it for more than 5 minutes. The controls are so terrible and aged.

Hang on, GTA4 ends with someone Niko loves dead and his life in tatters. Perhaps he get's his revenge, but if GTA goes out of it's way to show anything it's that every one of Nikos victories is completely hollow. A thug for the rest of his days because it's all he knows (For most people, Kate is the one who died, and she's the only compelling influence on Niko to actually change his life.)

It's a downer ending, through and through.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Samopsa posted:

Because SA is more silly fun, ala saints row 2, like parachuting onto a mansion and slapping dudes with a dildo, and GTA 4 is more let's go bowling with your annoying fat cousin.

e: oh, and crying about shooting a guy who is a genuine rear end in a top hat after road-killing hundreds of innocent peds

Yeah, but that stuff is all on you. It's done better in RDR where the game actively pushes you to be a decent person, but ultimately, your not playing to the character. I can see why you don't like the acting and theres certainly a plot gameplay break involved, but it's you doing it, and it's actively out of character.

There are some really weird things in that games writing, but I cant call Niko splattering tons of dudes on purpose one of them.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

GyverMac posted:

Well in the cutscenes Niko several times accept hit missions, and kill people he has no beef with just because some other dude promised money if he did so. This really crash with Nico constantly bitching and whining about murdering a genuinely bad person that actively worked against him and want to kill him.

GTA IV had pretty shoddy writing and the whole "oh so serious" schtick was a total miss if you ask me.

Just checking, but doesn't he bitch and moan about the life he is living and the person he has become, as opposed to most of the people he kills?

He gets frustrated/upset over killing certain people he considers, or had considered friends, certainly, but thats a different thing.

He certainly is inconsistently written sometimes, but I never thought it was as bad as some people made out. He is, ultimately, a completely broken and awful person, with enough humanity left that lets him lament it. I've never understood people who complain that Niko is written as a good guy who happens to kill people. He really isn't, and that's a complaint that can be aimed at CJ just as much as Niko.

What I do think is a good idea, as shown in TLAD and Gay Tony, is taking any financial plot drivers out of the players hands. Plot driving with nebulously defined debts over clubs with unknown value that belong to someone else? Much better than carrying 50000000000 in your pocket yet complaining you can only afford a hovel.

Where I really think GTA missed really, really loving hard, was with it's radio, which has become dumber and dumber over the years. Old games had fantastic radio shows with fantastic subplots where the DJ attempts to stop everyone swearing and getting fined to gently caress. Now we have WACKY WACKY RADIO with Fox news spouting utterly ridiculous garbage, Lazlow being painfully unfunny (And Lazlow used to rule), and it doesn't gel with the pseudo serious plot AT ALL.

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 11, 2011

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Lee Van Queef posted:

GTA4's writing leaves a lot (a LOT) to be desired, but I actually really like the darker tone. It makes it feel more like a gritty mob movie than a zany action comedy like the previous games, especially SA. I just wish they'd make an attractive protagonist for once; Luis is definitely a step up from Niko or Johnny, but that's not saying much.

It'll never, ever happen, but I'd like to see a woman in a leading role.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

nerdly_dood posted:

At least in BFBC2 or COD I don't have to run around in circles to reorient myself after I try to do something as laughable as turning around to run back for cover when evil bitches are shooting at me. Just a mouse twitch and go.

It's pretty much fixed in RDR, so I'm assuming Clumsy drunk controls are a relic of GTA4.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Whalley posted:

Try walking or getting into a fistfight with anything and you'll see it's still poo poo.

It's not perfect, but it's enormously improved. I had a very, very occasional problem, as opposed to swerving around like a bus in GTA4.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Cojawfee posted:

What are you talking about? Set it in the 1970s. Fill it with cars from the 50s-70s with plenty of 60s and 70s muscle cars. A story about running drugs or something. They can make jokes about illegal immigrants. It would be great. Where else in the country that someone from outside the US has heard of would be better? Anything in the northeast, or florida, or the west coast would just be a retread. I think they need a completely new area to exploit.

Guns on top of the Cars. Oil Crisis. Grand Theft Interstate 76.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I love that Rockstar is branching out into doing all kinds of things these days. the fact that we have a 40s/50s crime thriller and a cowboy western fitting into the GTA template makes me very excited that one day fairly soon we'll see them go into scifi. The lack of a decent scifi open world game makes me quite sad, because I love the poo poo out of open world games. It's just so fun to dick around and explore somewhere interesting.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Pwnstar posted:

Yeah its mostly just your muscle memory freaking a bit after playing the previous games 500 times. Once you get used to how to drive properly (and get a decent car) its still fun and easy to drive around.

So is GTA4 playable on PC nowadays?

It's a real shame the AI can't drive the cars worth a poo poo. What's the fun of a car chase if the only way the bads can keep up is by spawning around you.

I fuckin miss driver for that. Shaking a cop made you feel like a hero.

Also, the third person camera loving sucked for driving, it lagged behind the car so much that I was always sitting on the right stick correcting for the lazy camera.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Whats.. wrong with the triggers for driving? That's been the driving game standard since the dreamcast, and making the bumper shoot in vehicles is a pretty inspired way to give you camera, steering, and speed control without needing finger gymnastics.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

True, but with GTAIV they aren't as sensitive. In SA for the PS2 you could adjust throttle with a face button quite easily, but in GTA IV the triggers just add to the control delay of the whole game.

The triggers aren't sensitive enough, and the targeting system while driving needs some serious work because it's not exact enough either. The controller setup for this game just leaves a lot to be desired.

Whaaa.

You know how every racing game ever uses the triggers these days? It's because they are far more precise than using analogue facebuttons, because it's far easier to judge distance than pressure. (both have 256 level sensitivity)

The face buttons were famously hard to judge (although it was never an issue in GTA3-SA because it boiled down to "slow or fast" and the handling did not require nuance.) and theres a reason that the current generation consoles have both gone for squishy triggers. They are flat out better for driving games.

Theres a TON of input lag in GTA4, the face buttons wouldn't be any more responsive for driving if it's response times and not fidelity that are bugging you.

The targetting system while driving sucks because GTA4s aiming is fussy and laggy and terrible all round, it's not the combat control layout.

Anyway, correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you revert to classic?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Samopsa posted:

I always turn all that stuff off, just like the film grain in TLAD and such. I'd rather have sharper ugly stuff instead of blurry graphics.

Also, anyone that's afraid about GTA4 / episodes running crap on the PC: This is no longer true. Just reaffirming this, as it's been said before. A year ago I bought GTA 4 for the PC, ran like crap, even on 800x600 with everything low. Now it runs pretty decently with medium settings @ 1280x800. This is on a laptop with a NVIDIA Quadro card, which is not meant for serious gaming, so I guess that's a pretty big improvement!

Just finished TLAD for the first time, pretty neat. The final 2/3 missions where weird though. The one where you bust into the prison has almost no dialogue, and the way Jim dies offscreen is also pretty lame. The first few missions have heaps and heaps of nonsense dialogue, but later on it's pretty silent.

The missions are OK, if a bit bland, same for the characters (except Stubbs, that guy rocks). Now on to TBOGT!

Jim dies onscreen, just in a different game.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

VoidAltoid posted:

And the mini games get quite old very quickly because you steal cars so often in a game titled Grand Theft Auto. Even with different minigames for each one, I got sick of it pretty quick because I just wanted to get in the car and go, not play a minigame to be able to drive off.

It has some benefits at the same time. It's really exciting trying to run from cops and desperately squiggling with the pen trying to spark the wires before they catch you, but I can see why you might find that obnoxious though.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Starhawk64 posted:

If you're not driving on the sidewalk running over everybody in an attempt to bypass the annoying traffic in order to get where you need to go, then you are doing it wrong. :colbert:

You have the cinematic camera on, in slowmo as you do this.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Well, I am underwhelmed. I mean, it looks great, the city is great, but trailer was a bit.. yeah.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

If R* could find some way to make their PvP multiplayer feel less wonky and more competitive I think they'd have some golden multiplayer going on. The base-jumping mode for BOGT was a thing of beauty for the 3 days that people actually played it. Same thing with the helicopter vs. motorcycle mode one of them put in. poo poo now that I think about it the racing modes were always awesome too until your car got blown up.

I always felt the multiplayer was ruined by the ridiculously potent lockon, and I struggled to get a game without it.

Not to mention they had no effective region filtering in GTA4 and p2p connections were barely up to the tast of local games, never mind Euro to US games.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
How is the GTA4 player population these days? It was unplayably laggy trash on Console when I tried it, but I was considering grabbing the PC version and giving it another crack.

(Can I region filter on PC? I think thats what killed it for me on console, lagging around with americans)

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

davebo posted:

Yeah who the hell wants to mow down waves of enemies right? You guys are ridiculous and you're ruining my favorite game franchise! I say MORE weapons! Give me that RDR weapon wheel and let me go nuts. If they want to make things more serious do it in the story. GTA's are my favorite games because of the sandbox environment and how much fun I can have after the story is long over. Please don't destroy the longevity just to create some false tension in the first 10 hours of gameplay.

The MP3 system is awesome and it's all about mowing down huge waves of people. It works, it just means you grab guns off the huge mobs of people you've gunned down. It's a good system because it keeps your weapon use varied, keeps you changing weapons which helps keep combat interesting because you need to mix up your tactics, and keeps you moving from enemy to enemy to make sure you've got an ammo supply.

Also holding the assault rifle by your side in your offhand while you unload with your pistol looks badass and needs to be in more things.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

blackguy32 posted:

The one major thing that I ask for from GTA5 and it's not much, but allow me to free aim without having to press in the trigger half way. Red Dead Redemption's gunplay was so much more enjoyable to me and I think that was the main reason.

So.. go into options and turn off aim assist?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

blackguy32 posted:

You can't do it for single player. Only multiplayer

Yes you can.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
It was that camera offset that I didn't like. Which for some reason didn't appear in the in car view, where it was appropriate.

I didn't mind the handling though. Took some getting used to but I never had trouble cornering once I learned when to brake. The weight definately shifts too much though, I think they were going for that Driver 1&2 style where everything leans over too much and enormo drifts, and went a little overboard on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
They need to look at the tone of the radio in the next games though, because as the series became more serious in it's general stories the radio became dumber and more purile, and I swear lost most of it's wit. The ads and most of the shows are just barrel scraping shouting strawmen, and while they always had an element of this before they pulled it off with much better writing.

And all the swearing on the radio, man, I will miss old Lazlow, trying to stop people doing things that will get him into trouble. Depressed sexpest Lazlow is just not as good.

• Locked thread