Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Tumble posted:

My major issue with the GTA series is how the player characters make themselves out to be these moral people while the person controlling the game is always going to make those characters commit the most heinous acts of violence imaginable.

Remember how in GTA:SA cutscenes CJ would rant about drug dealers destroying the neighborhood and ruining the place he grew up, but if during gameplay you were running around without a car or a bike, you'd think nothing of killing somebody for their ride? Even though the character you were playing as would say stuff like "I need this poo poo you drive", I don't think anybody could really ignore the incongruence between the thoughts and actions the cutscene character portrayed and the behavior that the character the player controlled during gameplay displayed.

Basically, if the game that I'm going to be playing involves me stealing cars and killing a vast amount of people, please don't make my character conflicted when it comes to selling drugs, killing people for money or stealing cars. The person playing the game has already resigned to a completely immoral lifestyle in-game, don't try and make me believe that Niko or CJ are willing to kill 30 or 40 cops but then feel bad about getting revenge for a family member.

Vice City had it right; give me a person bent on becoming the ultimate crime boss, gently caress this morality crap. By the end of the game, I want to control criminal empires and crush those that even dare question my methods, not go back to the lovely neighborhood I grew up in.

This is actually exactly why I didn't like some of the newer GTAs. Sure, the gameplay was more or less the same, but the awkward attempt to tell a serious story just killed the games for me. I liked the games up to Vice City, because the combination of humor and off the wall violence just worked.
The latter games seemed to abandon much of the jokes and sillyness and tried to make me feel bad about a dude who would mow down old ladies just because.

I really hope that a GTA V is closer to Vice City than GTA IV. The soundtrack was fantastic in that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Muppetjedi posted:

Am I the only one who thought the chat radio stations became kinda crap after Vice city?

I loved the constant running joke about the Australian American war. That, and the whole Chatterbox channel in GTA3.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

KFCB posted:

Really? Of all the subway systems I have used, the DC Metro has been by far the easiest to understand. Is it that they charge your fare based on distance traveled that you think is confusing for first timers?

And I think a DC knockoff with all the monuments and what not would be very distinctive and fun, albeit small. I can only imagine the new wave of poo poo that would come about from people being able to gun down politicians and what not, though.

I would love it if Donald Love returned in such a world. I liked Donald Love and him as a crooked politician with presidential dreams would be neat!

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Gils posted:

The only GTA I've played was the GBA version, but I'm thinking of buying the set. How hard is it to get adjusted from the 2D world in the GBA to the 3D world from III onwards?

When I got GTAIII back when it was released, I choose the camera that emulated the 2D view.
But now I got the two classic games, and I can't really see how the hell I played those games so much. I think my reflexes might have deteriorated.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Martian Buddy posted:

This is what I'm hoping for as well, keeping my fingers crossed that they'll eventually get it on PSN and XBLA.

GTA3 and Vice City as a re-release on XBLA and PSN would be glorious. I'd pay 1200 of Microsoft's space points for each of them.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

I know it's probably impropable, but I'd like it if the style of GTA V would be a little less serious.
To me, Vice City was the pinnacle. I'd love a spiritual sequel to Vice City. Not necessarily set in Miami, but with the same style, flair and humor. Hell, I liked Tommy Vercetti very much. He was a proper psycho.

GTA IV's plot bored me, despite their attempts to get me to sympathize with Nico, the unwilling drugrunner/serial killer/kicker of old ladies/etc.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, I have a couple of five pound notes, and there's no "V" I can see. Sounds like bogus stuff.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Vince Videogames posted:

I love the idea of people calling GTAIV GTA EYE VEE.

I worked for a spell at GAME. I had customers coming in and asking for GTA Ih Vee.
"What, you mean GTA four?"
No, they wanted GTA Ih Vee.
"Alright, here you are. One copy of GTA FOUR."

Roman numerals are apparently too hard for people to grasp nowadays...

(Edit: Of course, that wasn't nearly as bad as the kid that asked me for a copy of Codfore. Call of Duty 4. Codfore. Jesus.)

Iacen fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 25, 2011

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Zedd posted:

Era Comedy option that they referenced a lot in the 3-gen: AMERICAN AUSTRALIAN WAR :black101:

I loved that joke. In fact, what I missed the most in GTA IV was talk radio stations. Even if I didn't particularly liked San Andreas, it had some choice radio programs. That's the only think I really listen to. Chatterbox from GTA3 was great. Vice City had VCPR and K-Chat.
GTA IV, on the other hand, had some pretty forgettable stations. I know Lazlo had one, but apart from beating a sausage vendor, I can't remember any of that radio.

More of that stuff, please!

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Knightmare posted:

I know the assumption is bigger map = better but that's not always true gameplay-wise. I mean people are bitching here about dying in GTAIV and then having to drive three minutes all over again.

Imagine if it were three hours in traffic.

I thought San Andreas was too big v:shobon:v

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

That's actually something else I'd like to see Rockstar ditch. All the social elements, dating and such. Yes, it's nice I have the ability to play darts, but that doesn't mean I want to drag some idiot AI around to play it.

Having NPCs that grant you special abilities is a good idea, like Jacob's magic trunk with weapons, but it's embarrasing to sit through another round of pixel tits/Russian theater.

Actual quests instead could be nice. But what they pulled in IV was one of the reasons I didn't really like that game (and one of the reasons I didn't like San Andreas, as they started that dating bullshit there)

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Polo-Rican posted:

Exactly 2 days until Rockstar announces the next GTA game that everyone will claim to hate despite it being nearly perfect!

What GTAV needs to do to make nerds like it: literally keep the words "you can turn the cell phone off, you know" flashing in the upper-right hand corner of the screen.

Yes, quite.

My beef with GTA IV is actually not neither combat, cars, the technical aspects or even the mostly bland selection of radio channels.

While I didn't really like the whole buddy-buddy element, it was just a part of the problem I had with it. Because suddenly Rockstar assumed that I would care about Brucie, Niko, Roman and all the other NPCs. This was the sequel of a trilogy of games that had you get jetpacks, be an almost Tony Montana-esque character and fly radio controlled planes equipped with bombs around.

The whole tonal shift towards something more serious just jarred with me, which might be why I'm more attracted by Saints Row 3 than a GTA V. I'm having quite hard trying to make friends, when my character is a murderous psycho. I'd much rather have a Tommy Vercetti 2.0 than another Niko or Victor Lance.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Orgophlax posted:

My first thought was that this was Donald Love, millionaire, cannibal and suddenly vanished by the end of GTA3. But then again I have a huge boner for Chatterbox, and his dulcet "This is a Love media station. Enjoy" has been burned into my eardrum.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

I hope that R* might resurrect Zaibatsu from GTA2. It doesn't have to be the crime syndicate of GTA2, but a giant firm trying to bulldoze and screw over the protagonist could be interesting.
(But I'm just in the middle of a pre-Saint's Row 3 replay of SR2, which might be affecting my judgement)

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

ChuckDHead posted:

The Zaibatsu were neat, but of the GTA2 gangs, I'd rather see the return of the Krishnas and the Loonies.

I'd actually like to see some of the mechanics from GTA2 be brought back. The whole relationship between the many gangs and how that affect your travels through the city.
In the previous GTAs (I can remember), it was just more and more angry NPCs on the roads (Apart from SA, I guess. I could never get that much into that game)

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

I hope GTAV doesn't have those wild difficulty spikes. All the games have have had missions I had to grind against for hours. At least I could use cheatcodes for the old ones, without fearing for my precious achievements.

I miss cheat codes in general. I had so much fun in GTA3 with the aggressive pedestrian cheat and "All pedestrians have weapons". It was total anarchy.
The downside was that I saved while doing this. It made the rest of the game quite a bit harder.
(The final mission is impossible, as the chick at the dam you have to save gets shot up by the suddenly too aggressive henchmen. I had to start completely from the beginning...)

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Install Gentoo posted:

Cheats

Now I almost feel like giving GTA IV another chance. I even bought that pack where the main game and the two expansions were collected. And I've never played Gay Tony, as I was just so burned out on gritty, east-european whiners that I just couldn't be arsed.

Sadly this will have to compete with all the other games that come out right now.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Corzaa posted:

The ability to pick up other peoples hats would be awesome.

So you want GTA to borrow Total Overdose's hat stealing mechanic? I'm okay with that!

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

To be fair, the only music track I remember from GTA IV is Philip Glass' Pruit Igoe, if only because it was used in the trailer. As for the talk radio, I remember Lazlo assaulting a sausage vendor because he's struggling with a life where he isn't as famous as he used to be. And IIRC he isn't as funny as he was either.

I really don't care about the music stations, as they very rarely have tracks I think are neat (Vice City was the odd man out, as nearly all the tracks kicked rear end). I mostly listen to the talk shows and while I remember long passages from GTA3, from the guy who ate pigeons, to Fernando the up-state pimp, to the guy who wants to organize a protest but doesn't know what he's protesting about, I remember fewer passages from GTA: VC, and again long passages from GTA: SA.

I remember one from GTAIV. I hope that V will give me more chat shows, with more funny and a bit bizarre callers and poo poo.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

I just bought the entire Steam collection. And I'm not even sure any of my computers can run the games (Maybe my stationary can run the GTA3 era games...)

But they are nice to have, even if I have the PS2 and Xbox 360 versions already:unsmith:

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Zedd posted:

If they ported those 2 to PC (+HD consoles) I would buy it day1.

I'd buy them all again, if they re-released all the GTA3 era games for Xbox360/PS3. Especially Vice City. It's just so good!

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

There's a nice writeup on Eurogamer, where they compare the original Xbox, PS2 and PC versions with the new iPad version.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-retro-face-off-grand-theft-auto-3

Who knows, they just might use the better assets for a re-release:unsmith:

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

I do not miss being killed by some rear end in a top hat with a shotgun every time I drive through fake Jersey, no.

See, I had no problem being chased if I was walking around in the city, because I figure that enemy gang members would recognize me. What would have been great, was some sort of disguise system or whatever, because it didn't make sense that everyone could magically see that the driver of that sedan with toned windows was YOU.
Perhaps some hidden gauge that had to fill before an enemy reaction or something.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Once again, this morning I was reminded of how great the radio stations were in the previous games and how I hope that GTAV will have more elaborate radio stations (and events).

What the radio stations in GTAIII and Vice City did, was having some NPCs appear. Maria called in to Laslow to check if Claude Speed might be gay (because he spends to much time with the boys), Tony calls because his mother doesn't respect him, Donald Love has these little "inspirational messages".

Vice City had fewer of these things, but at least Love Fist appeared. There might be others, but I can't remember.

San Andreas... I honestly don't know. Nothing except a few sketches from WCTR comes to mind.

Through these radio stations I felt like I was actually part of a larger world. The NPCs I met were not just for show, but they had their own lives and lived on, so to speak, in the world.

I want something like that in GTAV. If I work for some shady character, I want the news to sometimes speak of this notorious badguy. If I work for a giant corporation, they should advertise and appear everywhere.

Really, it was the radio that made the world feel "real" for me. The little commercial for the medieval fair in GTAIII, the constant reminder of the Pastor Richards Salvation Statue in Vice City...

Simply speaking, I want more than just different music stations. I want a kind of audio glue that binds the entire game together.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Avril Lavigne posted:

I don't know if you've played Saints Row 2 or 3 but they do exactly this, including regular reports on your newsworthy activities (& those of your enemies), interviews with characters who appear in the story and ads for stores & services that you can actually use, with phone numbers that work on your in-game phone. Also in SR2 there are ads everywhere for existing stores and if you buy a franchise you can then see your customized character on billboards endorsing their products.

I know that Saint's Row 2 and 3 had those things, and I had them in mind while writing that. Though SR3 wasn't as good a game as SR2, the dry news broadcasts of your exploits were entertaining and even if they were brief, they helped pulling you into the game world (I refuse to use the word 'immersion', but drat it if it didn't work!)

Though GTAIV had all the different activities, I couldn't help feeling like they were only... windowdressings. Yeah, I know that this was the case in all the games, but it somehow felt soulless and just there because there ought to be something.
I'm rambling, I think, but I just can't get over how disappointed I actually were with GTAIV. The jump to the more serious style lost a great deal, I think.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Posting this from the Playstation Vita thread:

Apparently Play.com has listed some new PS Vita games, and besides some nice RPG and such, there were something that really caught my eye:

A return to Vice City has been very high on my personal wishlist, so if this is in fact true, then the prospect of returning to the glittery, pink days of the careless and silly 80's makes me a happy dude indeed.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

vote_no posted:

Also, where the gently caress is the GTA5 info??

Probably non-existing until Max Payne 3 is way closer :(

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

I saw the list and actually got the joke in the Faggio now (if there is a joke, of course.:ughh:
Faggio2

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

ElwoodCuse posted:

I've heard this about every GTA game ever and it's simply not true except in very specific cases

I managed to cheat myself into a corner with cheats in GTA3. More specifically, I used to go to the multi story carpark on the second island (I think), where I would enable the Riot code and "All pedestrians carry weapons". The resulting mayhem of old ladies with bazookas going to war with gangbangers was fantastic entertainment.
Until I for some reason saved. Once saved, you couldn't deactivate it.
Surprisingly, I didn't have problems until the last mission.
Maria being held hostage on the dam and you have to save her. I just couldn't complete that mission, because her captors decided that holding her hostage wasn't nearly as funny as shooting her, and each other, with various weapons.
I learned something there.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Avocados posted:

On the subject for Vice City, has there been any talk for a new one? I loved everything about it, although I wonder how they would top the soundtrack. I wouldn't put it past them if they just copied most of it over.

There's a rumor about something called "Vice City Nights", which have surfaced (and disappeared again) as a PS Vita game. Rockstar is working on games for the Vita, as far as I'm aware, so it migt just happen.

I would like a game where you start off as a rookie cop, but instead of coming under the wing of the grizzled but honest street monster, you end up under the tutelage of someone like Tenpenny. And the main character doesn't give a poo poo.
That would be nice :allears:

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Dave Mustard posted:

Basically, more focus on the low-end risky business of crime. Less of having 4 mill and not meaning poo poo other than frustration if you die.

Back when the teaser was released, I had this idea of instead of being a common criminal, there would be more focus on building an empire. You'd start small, by forcing people to pay protection money and so on. As you get richer, the opportunities would expand too. You'd buy companies, security and so on.
Buy a little, scrawny medical company in the beginning and in the end of the story you'd have something that could rival Zaibatsu Pharmaceuticals.

It would be a crazy combination of a Tommy Vercetti/Claude Speed, Donald Love and perhaps Ken Rosenberg. Both intelligent, savvy and ruthless as hell.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Is it unreasonable to expect GTA5 appear during E3? I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft had someone show of this game on stage.

Well, one can hope.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

It's funny, because I don't recall a single time while draving in GTAIV where I thought: "This is drat satisfying/fun". I remember torpedoing into other cars, being annoyed by some slugish cars, and hoping that there would be a really fun mission ahead.
Really, the more arcadey the controls and handling of the cars is, the better I'd like them in a GTA.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

There is none, they just talk a ton in GTA IV on the radio and TV about the war against Australia. I believe it actually started way back in GTA III with one of the callers to Lazlow talking about how he fought in the American/Australian war.

This is one of the thing I love so much about the GTA3-era games. These little jokes that just cropped up in all the games and tied them together so nicely. The Australian-American war is my favorite, but they also had the british dude who wants to be spanked (GTA3 and SA, dunno about VC). Lazlo's career being this bungee thing that he keeps talking about was also amusing. I really hope they can make something like that for GTAV.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Walton Simons posted:

Lazlow was absolutely at his finest being slowly ground down by insane guests and idiotic callers.

'K...killer bees' :smithicide:
I maintain that Chatterbox is one of the finest radio stations in the GTA franchise. It had some really neat touches. Like the dude who talks about eating squirrels, goldfish and pidgeons. "Sometimes they come with notes attached to them, like a fortune cookie with wings!".
Some time later, a lady from Citizens Raging Against Phones (CRAP) calls in to talk about the evils of telephones, and how they try to organize without phones. They tried using carrier pidgeons, but they keep disappearing.

Why GTA4 didn't have more than a single segment on their chatter radio I can remember, I don't know. Perhaps it was a victim of the urge to make the game more serious.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Did they have more than one chatter station? Because those were primarily what I listened to while playing GTA games and I can only remember the Lazlow one, and from that only the segment where he assaults a sausage vendor.
Sure, my overall opinion of the game my colour my memories of the radio, but I honestly can't remember a single part of the radio stations (songs, commercials, chatter or DJs), except from that Lazlow segment I mentioned and Koyaanisqatsi.

Edit:^^^Could you link that or tell me the name of it? Because it might just be the thing I need!

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

is it wrong to hope that suit man is Donald Love? Because I'd never skip a cutscene if the main character was voiced by Kyle MacLachlan :allears:

I'd really like if you'd actually start as this small time crook, perhaps even Mr. Love (who've lost his entire group) who has to build up a new empire, with more emphasis on perhaps buying stocks and making hostile takeovers.

Torching rival companies, throwing their bosses off bridges, bribing journalists into doing slanderous news stories. It'd be the coolest GTA ever!

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

bef posted:

Who didn't like playing as CJ? He's by far my favorite GTA protagonist. Also I'm not sure about playing as a woman. How would I gently caress the hookers and kill them for my money afterwards?

I didn't particularily like CJ, but that was mostly because I felt no obligation to help out Groove Street. Those dudes could sit at their curbs and rot for all I care. But at least he was a better character than Niko. (I would rather have been OG Loc in San Andreas. I liked OG Loc)

AngryCaterpillar posted:

A cop who commits grand theft auto...?

Officer Tenpenny. Despite the interaction of CJ and Tenpenny being so bad, a Tenpenny-esque protagonist would rule in a GTA.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Gat posted:

It was bigger but half the map is is a loving beach. I think there's more open water as well.

That map makes me aware that I've actually never been to Las Venturas in SA. Never really wanted to continue past San Fierro. That was the first game where I discovered that a gameworld could be too big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Oh, I just assumed you were talking about 360. My bad :v:

Anyway, have fun with it! I know I did for a hundred or so hours with my Xbox copy of it.

And even then, San Andreas isn't on the European store front. Why I don't know, because I'd love to play it there v:shobon:v

• Locked thread