Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Personally I don't really care in which direction GTA V goes, I enjoy a freeroaming game with lots of side missions and unlockables just as much as I do a tightly written one that focuses on the story missions. What I'm pretty tired of is the recent habit of Rockstar games to walk you through missions by very specific checkpoints. In GTA III your only mission objective sometimes would be "kill this guy" and you could snipe him from the rooftops, ram him off the road or set an ambush at this travel destination, whatever you wanted as long as it resulted in this guy getting killed; recent Rockstar mission design has you basically run through a series of narrowly defined, focused challenges with mostly little variation - drive there, handle this shootout, drive over there - and even if you as a player can think of a more efficient way to fulfill the actual task the game pretty much goes "gently caress you buddy I call the shots here, now park right over there and show me you still know how to sound your horn." And of course it doesn't help that the actions the game makes you go through, the protagonists' actions during cutscenes, the protagonists' supposed motivations, and the stuff you as a player would like to do are often widly inconsistent.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nah, if anything Saints Row 3 is going to go even more nuts than Saints Row 2. To wit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWmhX2AKI8Y

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I will as soon as Rockstar do. :colbert:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I recently sat down to play the GTA IV trilogy again, start to finish but deliberately without going into the friendship activities or any side missions, because I did that the first time and life's only so long. Even though I prefer Saints Row these days for general sandbox fun GTA IV is really a splendid game in its own way and fully deserving of the praise it got. That said there are a lot of things Rockstar hopefully will improve in V.

Friendships, nah. At least not in their current form. I wouldn't mind something like, you suddenly feel like some darts, so you call up a buddy and meet him right at the darts club, and there's some dialogue during the game. As it is it's just tedious routine driving from point to point, but the friend dialogues do add something important to the story.

Less formulaic mission structure. "Drive to setpiece, have a gunfight, drive away" feels like it makes up ~3/4 of GTA's missions. Also, less arbitrary restrictions on missions. "You lost the train" - yeah, guys, it's a train, on rails, I think I can figure out where it's going to go. Maybe let me get there in my own time?

Less tedious driving in general. I got really sick of having to refill my arsenal and health and buy a new bulletproof vest after almost every mission, driving all over the map. Even when you could freely call up your buddies with gun vans in the expansions, it got tedious at some point.

Also once I got to BoGT, which I was actually looking forward to replaying the most, I was so burned out on the GTA thing that I turned it right off again at the first loading screen. The main game kinds drags on for too long, at that.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Himuro posted:

You want me to take your story seriously when you have vans called Groupe Sechs?
Goddamn I've played every GTA since III and I only just now got this. gently caress.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Wide shot of a city. Either establishing shots of easily recognizable architectonical features - if it's set in San Andreas, the Hollywood sign, Hollywood boulevard, Golden Gate Bridge or Las Vegas strip - , or the wide shot will be enough to identify it either as Vice City or San Andreas (but people will still fight over it).

Voiceover alluding to the rough past of a character and the fact that thing aren't about to get any better. Something surprising about the sound - in IV it was Niko's accent, maybe this time it will be a woman's voice or several voices, to go with some theories.

Not expecting anything beyond establishing a setting and a small nugget of speculation fodder that isn't actually very informative.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

sirbeefalot posted:

We aren't shown what the character is firing at. DOES THIS MEAN THE NEXT GAME FEATURES AN ALIEN INVASION????
In the slow-motion we see a glint of metal on the flying bullet that looks suspiciously like silver - could we be shooting at werewolves? In that case, it's almost certain that the main character is a vampire. Looking at the bigfoot rumours in San Andreas and the strange missions given by The Truth, the supernatural has a long tradition in the GTA series.

e: could you be able to weaken your werewolf enemies by shooting the full moon with a sniper rifle this time around?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Timeless Appeal posted:

Either way, I really hope that the narrator is at least one of the playable characters. It would be nice to have a guy who seems to be on top even if he's temporarily left his criminal ways behind.
Yeah, I want this to be kinda like Sexy Beast. Ex-gangster moves to Los Santos to start a new life and is actually pretty succesful, his old buddies pressure him into doing one last job (could shake up the GTA formula a bit and put the requisite heist mission towards the start), the job goes wrong and he gets into hot water with some local criminals, cue GTA story.

And y'know it would also be nice if the guy came out on top at the end this time, too, not necessarily as a super rich crime lord but all plot threads tied up at the end and the protagonist not hosed over in any major way would, at this point, be a welcome breath of fresh air.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Not quite. You'd regularly get e-mails prompting you to steal a specific car, and later text messages, but those were almost miniature missions in themselves. Say you accepted the e-mail to jack John's Banshee in Middle Park East, then you'd get the car's location on the map, only that specific Banshee would do, and more than likely you'd have to kill John as well.

On the one hand, more fun than cruising around waiting for the Mr Whoopee to spawn, on the other, I always liked jacking a random car and realizing, hey, they want that at the docks, let's go.

e: yeah, the mails were the mini missions, the text messages were more of a challenge to work out where the car was from the picture. Not always easy.

e2: come to think of it this is a great example of different design paradigms where the old way was "find something to do wherever you go" and the new one is "find something to do by accepting a prompt and driving to a specific place and doing a specific thing."

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 3, 2011

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If I've learned one thing from GTA it's never believe your cousin.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nah that's just the Yardie Lobo.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Not any more or less so than having your car stall from massive damage in a chase (a situation where you are likely to sustain massive damage).

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've seen a lot of thinly disguised wishlists prior to GTA releases and I know when I'm looking at one. Only thing missing is the old "cars have a fuel gauge" standby.

GTA V rumors thread: you can buy the Golden Gate Bridge

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's a lot of boats.

Also "furzen" immediately caught my eye because I'm eight years old and it's German for "fart", and I hope there will not be a car with that name or the disconnect between serious drama story and Rockstar dick jokes will be greater than usual for me.

e: in addition to the bobsleigh there's a skimobile and a snowmobile. It's at least plausible.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sereri posted:

Wait what, I don't think ... wait ... Holy poo poo. :psyduck:
Yep never caught that either. :psyduck: Probably my brain went straight for the German pronunciation and the joke was lost in lack of translation.

DangerKat posted:

Is the joke anything other than using the word 'fag'?
Faggio => fagg-io => gently caress you
Faggio 2, well.

Never caught that one either. I'm too European for Rockstar jokes. :(

e: I don't mind them actually, it's just I think the Furzen had better be a crappy little junk car with a poo poo engine that goes pffffrrrrrtttt. Like, go all the way with the joke, you know?

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 16, 2012

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Avocados posted:

[GTA:SA] I just got some unsuspecting celebrities in my fake motorcade car, then made a beeline for the pier and bailed out right before the car flew into the ocean. :stare:
That was the mission that made me realize Rockstar had introduced a fundamental disconnect between the protagonists' motivation as depicted in cutscenes and their gameplay actions. I just felt that poo poo was out of line, you know? Drive to the criminally underused airport, stick a gun in their face and tell him to get the hell out of dodge or something, sure, but don't straight up kill a guy and his completely innocent girlfriend.

:mad:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Role Play McMurphy posted:

*guns down 40 cops*
Yeah that's another thing, why did Tenpenny pin a cop murder on CJ in the first place, dude has 100 on his record legitimately by the time he gets off the bicycle.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah Doing Things With Cars has increasingly become less important than Using Car Drives To Play Additional Expository Dialogue And Then Do Cover Based Shootouts. I quite like both but with the latter there's a really obvious formula.

e: let's be reall for all the criticism I will buy and enjoy the hell out of GTAV and then raise the exact same criticism again once I get to about the second third of it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The whole airport sequence could have needed a bit more variety, maybe a few side missions in the surrounding desert towns. I liked the idea of CJ just concentrating on learning to fly planes for a while, even being forced to do it, but as a player I would have liked something to break it up every now and then.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think I wouldn't mind having a weapon system that restricts what you can carry, but changing what you currently have had better be a drat great deal easier and shorter than "physically drive to one of three spots on the massive map, walk between weapon options and get a binary yes/no choice for each one." Even calling up your friend with the gun car got tedious by the time you had to stock up for each mission.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Niko, my cahsin! We need to go eat lunch or your blood sugar will get low and you will pass out on our important mission. Don't forget to pick up your blood pressure medicine.
Rockstar Games presents: Captain Novolin II

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

ElwoodCuse posted:

Tenpenny's was indeed a "can't do anything until a scripted part" though, it just ended in Los Santos.
At least they were smart enough to make it so your focus during the mission is driving and keeping up with his vehicle. You're not primarily chasing him to kill, you're chasing him because he's getting away, and Sweet is hanging off the ladder. You are chasing him to kill him, of course, but it's not the primary objective and that masks things a bit.

Plus, last mission, needs to end where the last cutscene takes place, and all that.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's also kind of hard to see how many of the guys are still standing, i.e. how things are going, if you're riding where you're supposed to. But more than that I think it's that this is likely to be your first serious high-speed bike ride, in unfamiliar territory, and if you mess up and fall off a) you can kiss that train goodbye and b) it's a long trek back to town.

I also got back to San Andreas just recently after putting off buying the 360 Marketplace version for too long, and I'm having a blast! The autotargeting can go gently caress itself though. I've criticized GTA IV's cover based shooting in obvious setpiece locations a lot in my time but on reflection it's a vastly better system.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Clamknuckle posted:

I can see how those would be problems. Now Supply Lines can just go gently caress itself really really hard.
Got to that yesterday and nailed it on my first try :smug:

Not looking forward to flying planes later though, or at least I hope they're a lot more stable in the air.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I knew it was too good to last. Why teach players driving maneuvers like the P.I.T. and then make the next chase-down-a-car mission so the enemy cars can't be swayed from their path :argh:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Not really hard, but exponentially more tedious. In my current playthrough I gave it a try in Los Santos and got to level 4 or 5 before I thought, gently caress this, gonna wait until the small towns. The problem is it's really easy if you simply plan your routes and drive carefully, but when you do that it drags on for far too long. Even if the emergency vehicles just had radio it would be tolerable but driving 78 patients in a row with nothing but WEEEOOOEEEOOO going on is enough to make anyone want more Supply Lines.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'd have liked the friend activities a lot more if you didn't have to physically drive all the way to pick them up, to the activity and to drop them off, and if they'd moved the driving dialogue to during the activity or at least had some customized banter. In my mind it goes, Jacob calls and wants to go play darts, you say yeah sure, fade directly to Niko and Jacob in the darts location of whatever island Niko was just on, and while they play they talk about Roman's gambling problems instead of being silent at each other like a blind date that isn't working out. Any car you were in is parked outside, and can you drive him home or call a cab for him. If you do give him a ride and your relationship is good he invites you up for coffee. Soft music starts playing as the Serbian ex-soldier and the Jamaican arms dealer are suddenly overcome with mad passion, strangers in a city that would chew each of them up and spit them out if they were here on their own, but through some coincidence they've found each other. Life is short in their trade. They may have just this one night.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Install Gentoo posted:

You guys do know that you can take a taxi ride to your friend and then to the place you want to go in IV right? You don't have to actually drive and once you're like 1/3 of the way through the game you have plenty of money for it.
Yeah but then you have to hail a cab, skip the ride; the point isn't "you have to do so much stuff," it's "the stuff you have to do is so mechanical it might as well be automated from the start." Even the minigames themselves are pretty unspectacular after the novelty of the first few times is gone, when you get right down to it. I mean, when Jacob calls you for pool for the sixth time, do you say "gently caress YES POOL" or do you say "ugh I guess I better do this or I lose his gun perk, yeah yeah he has the solids get on with it"? But that at least could be sweetened with some dialogue.

Anyway that map is ridiculous. Look at the road nets, GTA IV Liberty City would cover, what, a third of Los Santos on that map? And LC is pretty big. You'd never get anywhere.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

I hate whenever a game says "This guy got away!" No he didn't I still see him there. I'm not the police, he didn't cross out of my jurisdiction, he's still right there. I was still shooting him.
Worst offender in GTA IV: the one where you chase a guy on a train.

"You lost the train!" IT'S A TRAIN, WHERE THE gently caress DID IT GO, DOWN A SIDE ALLEY?

Similarly infuriating are those missions where you have to kill someone and there's still a separate failure condition afterwards. The guy is dead, isn't he? Who cares if Niko gets caught, he's killed half of Liberty City and still bribes his way out of jail so much they might as well install a revolving door with a little toll booth.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I thought I'd be smart and do the firefighting in Angel Pine. Don't make that mistake. Burning people run from the cars and stop right on the steepest part of a rocky incline where you can't spray them from above or below and the firetruck doesn't have anywhere near the sort of grip required to stop next to them.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Croccers posted:

That's what bugged me the most about CJ. It wasn't the wimpy gangster, it was he so easily fell back into it at the end. He leaves the ghetto and poo poo starts getting done. He owns airfields, RC shops, car showrooms, manages a super-star rapper. But no, We gotta go back to the ghetto homie.
gently caress you CJ, you worked your arse off to get your brother out of jail and he wants to go BACK into that shithole that locked him up in the first place. gently caress that poo poo.
I tend to agree completely but then I remember that in my last playthrough the feeling of "gently caress that poo poo" transitioned nicely into "you wanna drag me back into a gang war after all that poo poo? Okay, I'ma grab that minigun the government agent left me, and then we'll see about a loving gang war."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Cliff Racer posted:

Now that you say that I wish there was a mission where you steal a tank and drive it down the highway smashing poo poo up (as really did happen in LA in the early 90s!)
Vigilante.

Unless you're doing it wrong.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

This is most likely some guy who thought it would be awesome to get a degree in video games, realized he can't get a job anywhere and decided to try to get his name out there by "leaking" information about GTAV.
That seems pretty shortsighted considering it gets your name out as "the guy who will leak your info." What company would look at that and say "you know who we need, this guy right there"?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It does look somewhat plausible, I like to play a game with these called "how far before I can't hold back the laughter" and with this one I got as far as "all cars from GTA IV in their renditions from all past GTA eras."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Stuff like "the protagonist's name is Adrian" is exactly the sort of thing where if it isn't you can say "ah, they changed it after I left the company, it was still in development after all."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Honestly though with that prominent aircraft getting a parachute needs to be much less complicated than having to pick one up at a specific location. At the very least you should automatically get one whenever you enter a plane or helicopter. A Just Cause/Saints Row style never-leave-home-without-it chute would of course be appreciated for when you come across a building, too.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

K8.0 posted:

In San Andreas once you have your pilots license bailing from a plane gives you a parachute. Unfortunately bailing from choppers doesn't, but hopefully they do something like that again.
I had no idea! And I've even been playing SA over the last few weeks and did the flying school already. Very nice.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I misread that as "spectacular" only I don't think I really misread.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Never realized San Andreas' map was really that much more complex than Vice City's. Suddenly that fake GTA V map with the roughly 15 major southwestern cities, assorted small towns and what the hell, let's throw in Vice City, seems just that little less far-fetched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Bloody hell. This is going to be fantastic even if it's only half of that.

I mean it's GTA so everyone was going to play it anyway, it's just good to know it sounds worth it.

• Locked thread