Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

A Sleepy Budgie posted:

I hope the goon with the Leonberger comes and posts pics. I love those dogs so much.

I only have lovely facebook pics of Neuman right now, but here's a bunch:

Neuman as a puppy.

Not a very bashful puppy.

On Mom's lap.

2 months later crushing Mom's legs.

Random cat in the yard that Neuman made friends with.

PLAY!?!?

The latest pic we have, he's almost 4 years old now - my how the time flies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

He's 130 pounds and we try and keep him around there... everyone who meets him guesses that he's more around 150-160 but most people don't realize the ridiculous amounts of fur he's wearing.

No, no riding him to work, maybe in the winter we'll hook up a sled to him but he's really lazy in the summer... fortunately for him we only get like 2 months of summer.

My wife and I always say that you get used to the size pretty quick. He's so low energy inside the house that I don't really see the difference between Neuman and having a medium sized dog. Hell, when we babysit higher energy dogs we always say how much easier Neuman is, but we're kind of biased. ;) I'm sure you Great Dane owners can relate.

Since I enjoy pimping my furry child, here are a couple of vids, I love this first video, he still does a happy dance today when he gets something he likes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSsN6C0ISYA

and some bouncy cam work from my wife who apparently throws like a girl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ5O2-_VZsY

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

Mr Kapu, your St. Bernard is awesome. More pics!

Radio! posted:

What made you guys decide to get a Leonberger bear?

We wanted a big dog that didn't drool and wasn't prone to many health issues. We met a lady with 3 Leo's at the dog park and pretty much fell in love with the breed.

We did some more research and decided to get one, then we talked to a few different breeders and asked some questions... the breeder we went with had been breeding them for 25 years, was an ex RCMP K9 trainer, and when I asked a few questions about the breed in general her response was about 7 pages long.

They're also really good with kids and actually drawn to them. Although I think that's a common trait with all giant breeds as the little humans are perfect licking height. My little nephew has already pulled himself up to a standing position using my dogs fur... Neuman didn't even flinch.

JimmydaFish posted:

Is he as soft as he looks?

My wife is pretty OCD about brushing him so yeah he's ridiculously soft, of course when he's blowing his coat it's hell... I've probably consumed enough dog hair in the last 4 years to build another Leo. Thank god for Dyson vacuums.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

Hood Ornament posted:

But since you have all the "experience" you must be right. Carry on.

So you read one study and then discount any "experience" actual giant breed owners/breeders have?

.... carry on.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

I pretty much visit this forum daily now in hopes that someone has posted more pictures of their giants.

Speaking of that, I should post more pictures of mine...

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

fnif posted:

What is the limit of giant breed?

My wife and I always joke around that if you have to bend down even slightly to pet it, it's not a giant breed.

That 2nd pic, you must have been cleaning up sand in your house for days.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

Whenever we don't feed Neuman from a raised bowl, he seems to almost cough on his food - when the bowl is raised that goes away... plus he's got a ridiculously long giraffe neck so it just makes sense to feed from a raised position - I built him one and he took to it right away.

rear end Crackers! posted:

Goodness yes, this please! :3: I've always wanted a large breed dog, and had my heart set on a dane for years until I saw pictures of Neuman. I might still get a dane someday, but now my heart is set on a leonberger. I won't be able to get one for several years yet as I'm still in school, but in the meantime I intend on reading every piece of breed information I can get my hands on.

For now I'll have to live vicariously through you and your pictures! :)

Hey I'm happy to oblige - if you have any questions about the breed I can probably lend a hand.

This nice leather couch is now pretty much the dogs.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

My wife took a bunch of pictures of Neuman doing his 2 favorite things (that don't involve eating):

1) Laying on his couch:

2) Swimming and half assed retrieving of sticks to chew on them:

"mmmmmmm....wood"

The command "BRING THE STICK IN" means "go running in and swim out to the stick, bring it most of the way in, stop to chew on it, get distracted by anything, forget about stick leave it in 3 feet of water, then come and shake out water on humans".

Dog is not quite a retriever...

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

rear end Crackers! posted:

While my husband and I were in Petsmart this weekend we walked past all of the crates and I kept exclaiming, "Look honey, we're going to need that one for the leonberger!" while pointing to the largest crates they carry. He kinda got a :stare: expression. I don't think he believed me.

You should get a magical crate like we got... from 3 to 4 months old, we'd put the dog in there at night, and in the morning a bigger dog would come out.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

BroccoliIntolerant posted:

Thank you, we spotted it early and had her on the operating table within 2 hours of the first signs, all gone well, spleen not twisted, heartrate normal and she pooed YAY!!!
Think she's out of the danger zone

Awesome news, I'm so paranoid of bloat.

How did it happen?

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

It was Neuman's 4th birthday yesterday. When my wife eats PB&J on toast Neuman stares and drools more than he typically stares and drools... so for the last couple of birthdays she's now made him his own sandwich.

We didn't get any pictures of him actually eating it, but you know how snakes usually just swallow their prey whole? ... yeah....

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

HEY GUYS IT SNOWED! SNOW SNOW SNOW I LOVE SNOW

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

Neuman went to the dog park last weekend and had himself a good old play with an 8 month old Bull Mastiff and a Newfie cross.

Haven't seen him play that hard in a while, I think he slept for a good 3 to 4 hours afterwards.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

Love love love Newfie puppies.

Pick him up as much as you can when he's little because they get big so quickly.

I half jokingly tried to pick all 140 pounds of Neuman up yesterday and he just gave me a "seriously, are you loving kidding me?" look... which was almost worth it in itself.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

uptown posted:

Snoozin' on my floor

I want daily photo updates.

Neuman turned 5(!!!) the other day:

Someone should inform him of that, he still acts like a puppy most of the time:

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

uptown, you're not posting nearly enough pictures in this thread.

Hell you should make your own thread of the size progression of him. I did with Neuman way back when and it was well received.

Giant breeds are great in that you can put 'em in the crate one night and when you let them out the next morning, you have a new bigger dog.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

What do other large furry breed owners do with their dogs in the summer?

It's winter here right now so Neuman is really active and loves going for long walks and rolling in snow, eating snow, licking snow, and generally worshiping snow as evidenced here by his "What, you want me to come in, how about you come OUT!?!?" look here:

The problem is that if it gets above 20 degrees (70f) he doesn't want to do much and he's quite miserable in the heat. Hell we have to feed less in the summer because he only likes to go for shorter walks and only once the big ball of fire in the sky isn't there anymore.

He likes to swim, but I think the river water makes him itchy.... and he's got stupid environmental allergies that I have no idea how to cure. We've had to give him antihistamines with steroids in them to make it more bearable for him and I don't like giving him those, but it's the only thing that seems to work.

Other than a good haircut and a kiddie pool full of water is there anything else I can do for him on the heat or allergy side of things?

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

Petey posted:

Hrm, this is concerning. I live in the Boston area. I had been assuming that this was sufficiently far north to not worry about cold-weather dogs (so long as I have air conditioning anyway), but it can get quite warm and muggy in the summer months. Is there any map of like where it is ok to have big ol dogs?

Keep in mind I'm also a big reactive suck when it comes to his welfare... "miserable" might be stretching it a tad, but he definitely enjoys winter more.

I'm also in Western Canada so not a tonne of a/c up here, but that would help your situation for sure.. my guy just goes down to the basement and lays on the cool floor.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

How much do Newfies really slobber? Like are they just faucets continually running? Or more just when they're hot?

I mean I thought I'd pretty much only ever own Leos, but I absolutely loooove Newfs and maybe I'll just alternate.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

uptown posted:

^^You need to post more pictures of Neuman.

Ok!

uptown posted:

Does he have a dry mouth?

Yeah except when he's drinking or I'm eating something he wants or I'm giving him a treat....

So uhh... yeah actually no, no he doesn't.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

I have old emails from my breeder saying she didn't want me to neuter until he was a year old minimum. I thought she said it had to do something with hormones and bone structure... I don't know the details are hazy, but it wasn't a big deal to us or our vet to wait.

Neuman has never been a big humper, he's been humped by his share and only since he turned about 2 or 3 did he actually start to tell other dogs he doesn't appreciate it either.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

uptown posted:

A picture to tide you over:

Wanna tug on those jowls.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

I have a question for you guys... I'm wondering if this is common with large breeds or dogs in general or if my guy is just a nut.

First off when I give him a beef bone he happy dances, ie) pounces all around it, picks it up in his mouth and throws it up in the air before bounding over to it and continuing to happy dance.

I don't have any recent video, but this is him as a puppy happy dancing and it's pretty much the same thing even though he's 10 times this size now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSsN6C0ISYA

He also sometimes will not eat it and just go and hide it... usually in the couch, and quite expertly I may add. Last night he hid his bone so well that I had to stealthily follow him around until he went to the couch and got it. When I tried to find it beforehand I couldn't, so yes, the dog outsmarting me is a regular occurrence.

I guess if I let him outside he'd probably bury it, and dogs burying bones definitely isn't unheard of now that I think about it, but whether he eats it right away or lets it "marinate" in the couch for a while is completely random.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP2VWiaJsQs

Please excuse me sounding like an idiot throughout... you know how it is.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDb18wy1tXk

Love the controlled fall a minute in.

Dane's are wicked, I would get one in a second but after my Leo died of an aggressive cancer before he even got to 6 years old I'm deathly afraid of going through that again.... and giants short life spans in general.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

Duplicity posted:

Misanthrope can I talk to you about Leonbergers? I am a prospective owner and I'm trying to talk to as many owners and breeders as I can.

Be happy to, I don't have PM's but shoot me an email at todd-w@shaw.ca.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

I demand more Leonberger pictures.