Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I just watched Grace: The Possession. It's a fairly standard possession movie but the cool thing is that the whole movie is from the first person perspective of the person being possessed. That turned an average movie into an above average one, in my opinion. It really did add to the tension. It even has the nerdy dude from Grandmas Boy for some reason.
'
Edit: The whole time I kept thinking how much of this movie could be translated into a video game. I couldn't help but be reminded of P.T.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

grate deceiver posted:

So I've just seen Triangle. I liked it, pretty solid overall. There's one thing that I'm not sure if it's supposed to mean anything: Near the end of the movie, when Jess crashes her car, there's a kid from the marching band with a drum from Aeolus. Is it the same drum, is it a nod to the audience or is it something elsejust a reused prop? Doesn't seem like it makes much sense for it to be there.

What movie named Triangle are you talking about? Is it this one?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Insidious 1 and 2 has some questionable moments, but overall I enjoyed them. That's the first thing that came to mind. Looking forward to part 3.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
For some reason I feel compelled to also suggest Absentia. It's a bit more low key (and definitely lower budget) but I guess it stuck with me because here I am recommending it months later.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Would it be worth checking out Daybreak sight unseen? I've never heard of it before this discussion, and I don't want to look up info about it because I prefer to go in as blind as I can.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I saw the new Poltergeist, it wasn't bad. Unfortunately it's been so long since I've seen the original that I couldn't tell you how it compares. I tend to judge my horror movies against Insidious, which is the worst horror movie that I kinda like. So that means my horror movies are in two categories: better than Insidious or worse than Insidious, and Poltergeist is better. The only other recent horror movie that I've enjoyed has been Oculus.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Hat Thoughts posted:

WTF don't you like about Insidious

Pretty much the second half of movie. Really enjoyed the first half though.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Tired Moritz posted:

People actually liked Insidious? what

Mainly because by the time I was done with the first half, I'd already decided that I really liked it and that it would be one of my favorites. Despite the dreadful second half, I still can't shake that feeling. Enough so that I watched the other two Insidious's, which I guess were OK but forgettable because I can't remember anything about them other than the scariest parts are coupled with an extremely loud musical sting.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Yeah if anything I put it as the 'standard' average of the genre which is why I mentioned earlier that I judge movies against it. The truth is I'm still chasing my dragon: the awesome experience I had watching The Ring in a theater full of people that were all totally in to it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I just watched It Follows. I enjoyed it quite a bit, but like most horror movies the ending sucks. I appreciate that the beginning part isn't too drawn out, which is a failing of most horror movies. I also appreciate that the movie doesn't spoon-feed you anything, it definitely shows instead of tells. As long as you can deal with an unsatisfying ending, I'd say it's worth checking out. I watched it without reading anything about it going in, so I'm not sure how that effects things.

Got a few more blind watches lined up, next up will be Unfriended. Blind watches are the best watches. gently caress trailers. If more than a few people seem to like it on IMDB and the one sentence synopsis seems remotely interesting, that's good enough for me.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Oct 1, 2015

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The movie just kind of ends. They are no better off than when they started. They didn't really learn anything new about the ghost, or resolve anything. The nerd finally gets a pity gently caress which made the least sense of all to me, just bang some dude at a bar or something instead of forcing the one cool dude in the movie to gently caress some skanky hooker in order to give her a curse that she almost assuredly will get killed by. I am also constantly wondering, why not get the authorities involved since you can physically interact with this thing and its constantly showing itself? The movie's ending reminded me of the fake-out ending of the Ring (which was brilliant) except this wasn't a fake out, the movie really was just over.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Snak posted:

Well, I would say that the movie is about fears and consequences of sex. These are things that don't really go away. The situation at the end of the movie is different than the beginning because the protagonist has found a partner she wants to stay with face their problems together. You cannot escape the scary and dangerous aspects of life. They follow you forever. All you can do is find someone to face them with. That's the story. it's really funny to me that you think it's a flaw that they didn't learn more about the ghost/monster. that poo poo seriously did not need explained. You mention involving the authorities, but you might have noticed that the absence of authority figures is a theme in the movie. The reason that sex is scary to the protagonists is that they don't have good role models and their parents are either absent or drunk.

All very good points. I also thought it was funny how much time they spend sitting around, being bored as hell. I kept thinking, no wonder all they think about is loving eachother.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Vulpes posted:

It wasn't good, but it was interesting and I didn't feel like I'd wasted 90 minutes. I think I liked The Den better though.

I've never heard of The Den, but you summed up my feelings about Unfriended perfectly. I think it's worth watching if you're "into" horror movies just because it does something a bit different.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Zwabu posted:

This. I had the same experience with The Ring, and some other horror movies, and it's one of the entire reasons to go see a horror film, or a great epic adventure or action film. Seeing films like The Road Warrior, Star Wars and Jaws during their original release (I'm quite old you see).

The shared experience makes it that much more intense and memorable.

The problem is that horror movie theaters always have a bunch of people that laugh at the wrong times. I watched Saw in theaters and for some reason the dude sawing off his leg was just uproariously funny according to the crowd. After a few more experiences like that I gave up.

Rhyno posted:

Didn't they make it clear that if you didn't teach the next person the rules and it killed them the curse returned to you?

Yes, but it seems their new plan involves getting a hooker to do it, in the hopes that they pass it on. Eventually the ghost will kill everyone the hooker bangs and then the hooker, and then you. I doubt they were going to explain things to the hooker

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 5, 2015

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Basebf555 posted:

What about Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer?

Just looked up this movie since I hadn't heard of it. Sounds pretty interesting. At first I thought you were talking about Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon but that's got a slightly comedic tone to it. The one you mentioned seems much darker.

Vulpes posted:

I feel like I should rewatch it, maybe I missed something important the first time.

I've never seen Kill List, but I've had this thought a lot. I also realize that not once have I ever somehow been convinced to like something by re-watching it. Maybe I'm alone here.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 7, 2016

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
My biggest problem with Cloverfield, and incidentally most horror movies, is the 20-30 minutes in the beginning they spend on absolutely pointless character development. It's even worse when the audience already knows what's going on and you have to watch the characters slowly figure it out. How is 10 Cloverfield Lane in that regard?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Basebf555 posted:

If a horror movie is good then 20 minutes of character development isn't pointless at all.

9 times out of 10 its just to establish that one character has a crush on another character, and possibly a third character is jealous. And then they all die anyway.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Watch AvP: Requiem and get back to me. Pointless Backstory: The Movie.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I agree i'm getting a bit off the rails here. Ever since I really started to grasp the concept of editing and how removing things from certain movies can make them better, it's something I think about a lot. Kinda like the scenes at the beginning of most zombie movies where they all have to figure out that bites infect you, and that shooting them in the head kills them. Or most of Godzilla.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 20, 2016

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Who are you arguing with?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

FalloutGod posted:

Triangle was fun. I wish there were more like it.

E: Don't watch the trailer.

I agree with this. Triangle is good, don't watch the trailer. For the record, I did not care for TimeCrimes.

As long as we're mentioning random time travel movies, I watched Synchronicity on Netflix and man that was boring as poo poo. My issue with Synchronicity (and Timecrimes, kinda) is there's a time loop that involves the main character doing something out of character or that doesn't make sense in order to preserve or create the loop, even after he figures out the loop is taking place. The whole thing is just a mess. It also does that thing where characters witness time travel fuckery take place and just don't notice or bring it up. The girl bangs his future self AND present self and never notices there was a difference or a switch, or that anything was off. Nobodys motivation in this movie makes any sense to me. I was also highly annoyed by the amount of effort this scientist has to put forth in order to convince people to fund his proven time travel method. The movie made it seem like that if he didn't get funded by this one dude, then thats it I guess time travel just never gets invented. Pretty sure if I posted his findings on reddit and asked for funds I would have a billion dollars in like a day.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 26, 2017

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Here's what I remember about Annabelle: shots of the doll not moving, combined with a bunch of shots where they slowly zoom in on the dolls motionless face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Tired Moritz posted:

there's not a lot of good mainstream horror movies nowadays

I'd say Get Out counts

• Locked thread