Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

futureproof posted:

The first half of Pontypool is the best zombie film I've ever seen.

All too true. That movie goes from terrifying to forgettable in the space of one camera cut. But that first half, holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

I might be misremembering here, but I thought the whole deal with the neighbors in Lake Mungo is that they essentially roofied her and took advantage of her. It was entirely non-consensual.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Thundercracker posted:

What does every one think about VHS? On one hand I did feel some of the stuff was unnecessarily gory and plain, and tone super brospehy, but there were definitely a few pieces that were appropriately tension driven and psychologically horrifying.

That seems to be how most people feel when they walk away from it. Sums up my opinion, at least.

The anthology as a whole is kind of a mixed bag, but individual segments also have some pretty stark pluses and minuses. The Skype segment for example, though probably the scariest, also has the dumbest reveal. It's hard to walk away from VHS feeling anything too strongly one way or the other. For what it's worth, I hear much more positive than negative about SVHS.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Street Soldier posted:

Hopefully these two are up to snuff.

Bellflower can hang in any thread as far as I'm concerned, and I'll second the recommendation.

Once you finish the movie be sure to read an article about this guy's homemade camera (and the Medusa, which you can see in the poster above) because it's really fascinating stuff.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

After watching the trailer for "Clown", it got me thinking - there aren't many horror movies where a good person slowly turns into evil due to some external force. Can anybody recommend some movies that have that sort of premise?

It's just a tiny bit more lurid than most films in the thread, but Drag Me to Hell touches on this theme a bit. And it's a pretty good movie besides, especially if you like Sam Raimi.

Actually I think it poses the question of whether the main character was ever a good person, but whatever. The events of the movie make her awfulness more obvious, at the very least.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Snak posted:

I watched House of the Devil last night based on recommendations from this thread and was also unimpressed. I enjoyed because the look of the film was great. I feel like there were a lot of missed opportunities and overall the film was pretty generic. I cannot believe that the babysitter RAN UPSTAIRS when she could have run right out the front door. I thought we were past this. I also thought it was a poor choice to show us, the viewer, the sacrificial scene inside the locked room upstairs, because it basically tipped the film's hand and left no question as to what was going to happen for the rest of the film.

I'll agree with you on the second spoiler, but the first spoiler actually makes sense. Whether the house is besieged by a killer or not, there's a little old granny upstairs who she has agreed to watch over for the night. She can't just bolt out the front door and leave granny to fend off the murderer for herself.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Basebf555 posted:

I saw The Changeling just recently because I found it for $5 at Barnes & Noble, I couldn't pass up that price. Anyway it instantly earned a place in my yearly Halloween movie marathon, its great.

It's worth pointing out that The Changeling is available for free on YouTube (though not on any official channel) for those who haven't seen it.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

coyo7e posted:

My problem with It Follows is largely that I already was aware that pretty much every horror/slasher film is about sex, and how anyone who breaks the list of social niceties (don't have sex, don't drink, don't misbehave) ends up dead by the usually-supernatural force which is after them for some (usually) inexplicable reason.

It Follows is literally just stripping everything else away form every teen fright film over the last like 30-40 years. When I'm watching the movie and thinking that it's a frame without form, I'm bored.

I don't entirely follow your logic, because It Follows is a complete inversion of the form you quoted. In a typical slasher, having sex is the reason you die. In It Follows, having sex is the only way you can survive. It's the furthest thing from the morality plays you see mirrored in stuff like Halloween and Friday the 13th.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

I've always thought that Session 9 is a much better Silent Hill movie than any of the actual Silent Hill movies, for whatever that's worth.

I know that's not the highest hurdle to clear, but it was a decent substitute after those movies turned out so poorly.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Watch AvP: Requiem and get back to me. Pointless Backstory: The Movie.

Noted psychological thriller Aliens vs Predator.

Edit: Point being that certain kinds of movies need more setup than others. AvP is not one of those movies, and definitely not one of the movies we're talking about here.

Sarchasm fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 19, 2016

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Triangle is an extremely good movie that I put off watching for years because I had such a negative reaction to TimeCrimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

Snak posted:

On topic: I recently watched A Cure For Wellness. Not amazing, very pretty. Worth a watch. I think it has some focus issues, but I like a lot of the visuals, so...

Seconded. It's a bit of a slog at two and a half hours, but it's very pretty. It might've helped to have a more active protagonist who actually pieces together the mystery instead of just being handed new information every twenty minutes by a supporting character. It's doubly frustrating that the movie so obviously telegraphs all its big reveals. The wait for the protagonist to piece together what the audience has known for the past forty minutes is killer.

But it's very pretty, and it's entertaining enough for a single watch. Give Gore Verbinski more money so he can make more very pretty movies, please.

• Locked thread