Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Skrotum posted:

Well I have my first bjj tournament coming next weekend. Couldnt manage to drop down to the 215-229 so looks like I'll be stuck at the 230+ category :( (Im 6'5" and walking around at 240 now). Do you think its worth it to try to lose 10 pounds in a week or would that be too rough?

If you don't plan to do day before weigh ins, probably too rough. It's your first tournament, take it easy and learn how much harder you should prepare for next time after you make all your inevitable stupid mistakes.

In my first tournament I almost face planted trying to throw a guy with a bad grip. These things happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Fontoyn posted:

So, for the people with more experience than me, how can my gym always be packed to bursting, my coach charge 150+ a month, and we're still somehow hemorrhaging money so bad he's selling off gear?

Well, he let you owe 300, so I guess he doesn't have any direct debit set up. If one guy's not paying there are almost certain to be others in the same situation. Does he not do contracts? They're pretty much a necessary thing for any kind of steady income. Depending on your location rent could be high, utilities, gym insurance, the owners personal insurance, (if he's smart he's carrying disability so that an injury doesn't ruin him) his cost of living, improvements to the gym like new mats can be hideously expensive.

Most good martial artists aren't very good business men, the attitudes kind of run counter. Rorian is making money hand over fist and he's hated in the BJJ world for it.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
http://youtu.be/XuFsLHPygUo

A body shot compilation from boxing, the most underused and under appreciated punch in MMA.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
I wrestle. Jiu-jitsu is some esoteric foreign word that implies that I'm training to be a cage fighter or a weeaboo in most peoples minds, so I tell people I wrestle. I thik that's changing though. As MMA gets more popular people seem to understand that Jiu-jitsu and MMA are different things, and anybody with wrestling experience asks me who I wrestle for and gets the longer answer.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
I'd be kind of pissed off if I saw someone punching the bag with a dumbbell in my gym. That's not gonna contribute to the longevity of the bag. I suppose it is better than air punching though.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Really, really hard. Spider guard.

Tape it. Do something else for a while.

Alternate: Always try to get a pistol(joystick) grip to control the sleeve until you heal.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

KingColliwog posted:

I was in a similar situation and felt just like you and decided to not see a doctor and I was fine/didn't die. So I understand your choice, but remember to force yourself to take a very deep breath a few times a day. I think you can develop some sort of problem with your lung if you don't.

Atelectisis and hypoventilation induced hypercapnia. Basically if you're not filling them occasionally the air sacks of the lungs collapse and stick together due to surface tension. Plus if you're breathing too shallowly you won't blow off enough CO2. Just take deep pursed lip breathes for about a minute every hour or two and it's no concern at all, and it's pretty unlikely in a healthy person even with a bruised rib.

I'm pretty sure I separated my rib where it meets the costal cartilage right at the start of June, I still can't roll. A hug from an old man at church made me tap out.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Ridleys Revenge posted:

This is hard for me to describe because I'm not sure what BJJ calls it, but if you're in seated guard (on your butt, elbows inside knees) and you try to swing one foot under your butt and propel your hips forward, you'll end up kneeling and moving around aikido-style, always keeping a knee up in front of you, so people won't be able to get their legs around you, and you'll be able to do a knee-over pass if they try.

The most common BJJ name for this is combat base, though it's called other things. It's also an excellent position to stand up and work standing passes from. If the guard is closed though you'll need to open it.

quote:

Is there any way to prevent guard from being pulled on me or should I just expect that to be the order of the day?

Pull guard first.

Alternately, keep distance unless you can get superior grips, and if you're good in the standup, don't come in too strong or you'll spook them into an early pull.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Nierbo posted:

Ah kool, I just thought maybe there was a group of bjj guys who were like 'nah, that sucks, we dont train throws, we just drag em to the ground, so you have to do that too' but I'm glad that to hear that doesnt exist.

Not per se but it kind of happens in a de facto way. The stand up game in high level BJJ tends to be pretty defensive and long distance compared to what you'd see in wrestling or Judo, and stalling penalties are pretty rare. The only time you really get stand up wars is when you have two guys with very good passing games relative to their guard game, and neither one wants to risk pulling guard on the other. Light weights and below pull guard a lot, and they're more likely to change positions by sweeping than by takedowns. At the more local level, it's pretty common to see guys with no stand up who just pull guard and butt scoot till the ref stands them up. There was a good breakdown in the back of one of the BJJ magazines recently, but I can't remember which one. Fighters Only maybe.

Not that there aren't takedown artists in BJJ. The Ribiero brothers, Claudio Calasans, Andre Galvao, Jacare when he was competing, all spring to mind and I don't even follow competitive BJJ that much. All the top level guys have at least a couple strong takedowns they can work, they just sometimes choose to pull guard because it's a stable position for them.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Bohemian Nights posted:

I've been back a week, and apparently it's been decided that I'm to become the backup instructor whenever our instructor can't hold a class. I did a gi and nogi class this week and the instructor and everyone was so impressed it made me equally uncomfortable.
It's good to be back, though.

I don't feel entirely qualified for instruction, there are a lot of embarrassingly basic things that I still suck at! But I guess this is an opportunity for me to instruct in the things I myself need to improve on :v:

Last thing I taught was an escape from side control, with the basic addition of bridging and grabbing the top person's bicep to prevent proper shoulder pressure. It's probably one of those obvious things, but it was a big revelation for my bottom game when I started doing that, and I like the idea of being able to hopefully give someone else some kind of revelation too.

Aren't you a white belt still? I was in the same position for a while as a blue belt. I tried to get around it by researching and planning out every class very well ahead of time and basically just repeating qualified instructionals verbatim. I've got a pretty good mind for body mechanics and explanation too. Either way, we're not really qualified to teach, we're beginners ourselves, but if it's really the only option you've gotta try to bring other guys up to your level so that you can get better.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
You can do a bit with plyometrics. Try explosive pushups or medicine ball throws for arm extension and barbell twists for hip rotation. For pure linear explosiveness you can try box jumps and dead start sprinting, on it's own or pulling a sled/ pushing a car.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Jenkl posted:

personal development?

My priorities, in case you guys have any general advice, are fitness > mental development (confidence, dedication, motivation) > practical defense techniques.

BJJ improved my confidence, understanding of the learning process, physical strength, focus, self-esteem, stamina, balance, drive, gave me a reason to lose weight, and made me friends with a whole new type of fitness nerd I wouldn't have met otherwise. I used to be a paranoid little punk, now I'm not worried about at least standing up for myself. The "competition" styles will give you back what you put into them, nothing more, nothing less.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

BlackCircle posted:

On the topic of injuries, yesterday we were doing sweeps and I managed to gently caress my landing up really bad. I'm usually really good about landing properly so I don't hurt myself but that morning I just messed up and landed full weight on my shoulder. It hurt like a bitch and I had to sit out the rest of class which pissed me off more then anything. I wanted to roll so bad but I could not put anything at all on my shoulder.

Even now almost a day later I have full movement except for when I reach out like I'm reaching up to grab at a collar or something around that area. I'm considering going to the doctor today so I can see if I messed it up badly. It would suck if it knocked me down for a little while since I just got my pre-reg in for the NAGA Battle at the Beach in Wildwood the first weekend of August. I was really looking forward to competing in my first tournament.

You pretty much have to see an ortho or a sports medicine guy to properly diagnose something like this. The shoulder is a really complex joint and there are dozens of tests that can be performed to identify a dysfunction. The down side is they'll probably want an MRI for positive diagnosis. GPs or PAs are only going to be able to diagnose a really frank tear because they don't have much trauma experience.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Crisco Kid posted:

Anybody familiar with schools around the Triangle area in North Carolina?

This is from a couple pages ago, but Sommai is a good school. One of my friends is a pro fighter training primarily out of there. He raves about it, and everything I've seen from them shows very crisp muay thai technique. I used to train at NBS myself, and I still miss it. I have heard good things about Forge Fitness though, so don't be afraid to go look and see what's right for you.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Meat Recital posted:

Could anyone recommend a good BJJ gym in Vancouver, BC? I was thinking either the Gracie Barra on Main (brand recognition), or the Elite Kickboxing Gym in North Van (mostly because it's 10 minutes from my house). Thanks.

Google-fu - Marcus Soares is almost certainly the best BJJ in Vancouver, and Stephen Kesting (fairly well know for his youtube videos and the site Grapplers Guide) teaches there too I think. North Vancouver BJJ also looks good just based on having a black belt who's still actively competing. If Elite kickboxing being so close means you'll go more, then go there, but learning from a purple belt when you could be learning from an experienced black belt isn't really ideal.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Nierbo posted:

I did that last night and almost got him off me completely as he sorta lurched over. I didn't quite get the sweep but he didn't do it again so I call that progress.

Also, one of the guys does this choke where he's on his back and I'm in his guard and he cross grips deep in my collar with both hands and tries to choke me that way and he's got me that way a few times before, but I was watching some BJJ dvd last week, even though I don't totally get all of it I have it on and watch it when its slow at home and he said just put your hands on their elbows and push in and it worked like an absolute loving charm. No matter how much he tried to constrict, it didn't take much effort for me to push on his elbows and create space around my neck.

e: Found a terrible picture of what I'm talking about :

When he does that, I press my chest into his so his arms bend and then I put my hands on the outside of his elbows and push them inward.

It only delays the choke. Most people don't get their hands deep enough into the collar to properly apply the choke, so they have to flair the elbows more to apply pressure. Pressing into his chest will actually deepen the choke when it's properly applied. Your partner is too focused on driving with his arms instead of finishing by turning his wrists, flexing his back, and getting proper hip escape and angle. Pressing into the elbows can buy you a second to think about breaking his grip or swimming inside though.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
I've seen more broken feet, and given someone a broken foot, from toe holds than I have ankle injuries.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

origami posted:

In BJJ, why is the thumb not used when gripping your opponent's wrist?

It's used all the time. It's not used for kimuras because it creates a pivot point to twist out of the submission and makes it harder to transfer to the armbar if you want to switch up.

edit: beaten, and I'm pretty sure everybody that's ever done MA has had the dream where your punches don't hurt the guy you're fighting.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

henkman posted:

2 times a week for 2 hours at a time. It depends on how long your sessions at the gym are, but 3-4 isn't too much.

In perspective, top level pros and amateurs in jiu-jitsu often train multiple times a day. 3-4 times isn't too much. You might find it to be excessive if you try to lift or run on your off days, but it doesn't take long to build up some stamina.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Antinumeric posted:

Commas are the devils work.

So yesterday I had a great session, finally got a sub in on someone while rolling (a triangle of all things, we've never practised them I've only seen pictures) I guess it was more due to rolling with someone who had been doing it as long as me rather than people with more experience. However I woke up this morning with a weird pain on the inside side of my knee, it kinda hurts in a weird way only if I fully extend my leg, walking seems fine. Should I go to practice today or leave it till next Tuesday?

Stretch it, warm it up well and go. You probably strained a hamstring a little trying to squeeze the triangle on.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Yeah, it sounds like it was a perfect storm of having a bunch of new kids show up and an inexperienced teacher running the class. I'll do what I can to keep an eye out from now on and keep the headstrong guys from wrecking each other.

I felt sick seeing a 14-year-old kid go down with a blown out shoulder. That's the sort of injury you never come back from 100%, and he's only starting his career.

We had something similar happen at my old gym. Two younger guys rolling without supervision and one of them got his elbow badly dislocated to the point where he didn't return to jiu-jitsu. Good kid, just going hard because teenagers don't know that they have limits, and white belts don't know when they're being spastic. The lack of proper supervision that led to it happening was one of the reasons I left the gym. I was teaching a class or 2 a week, and it hurt watching a student I'd been following closely get injured, and then have the owner blame everybody but himself.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Jack the Lad posted:

So it turns out Roger Gracie runs a BJJ academy literally just down the road from me, which is pretty exciting.

I'd like to go along, but although I'm 6'3 and 185 I'm not super confident in my overall strength/fitness at the moment.

I started weightlifting a few weeks ago. Should I try to work on that some more before signing up, or just dive in? Can I reasonably lift 3 times a week and do BJJ in between? I don't get much DOMS from lifting anymore.

I work 12 hour shifts that usually turn into 13-14 hour by the time I've gotten back to my car and driven home, so I don't usually do BJJ on work nights. Instead I do doubles on my days off and don'y do back to back weight days. It works out to about 2-3 days of lifting per week and 3-4 BJJ days, plus yoga or cardio on my days off. It took me some time to work up to that though, I'd already been doing BJJ for 2 years when I started doing this, and lifting semi-regularly (with a terrible curl bro program) for longer than that.

About a year after I started I got smashed I actually took a month off BJJ and just did starting strength + some cardio and that definitely helped my BJJ, but only because I was hella weak to start with and I'd already done some BJJ to help me know where to apply my strength. Starting out super weak seems to have helped me in the long run, I still get comments on how relaxed and smoothly I roll.

As for your build, don't worry about it. Roger himself is pretty gangly (and insanely strong). I've seen plenty of skinny guys come in and put on pounds of solid muscle just doing BJJ. Just go, worry about the finer points of competing and conditioning later.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
I didn't realize there were so many people from Raleigh in this thread. Or anybody from NC at all really.

I used to do Muay Thai at NBS gym and I enjoyed it, but that was partially due to cheapness. Nice ghetto style boxing gym, at least one golden gloves champ training last time I was there. They don't do grappling though. I was too poor to afford any of the BJJ schools when I was at NCSU, and Forged Fitness was still Crossfit Raleigh at that point. I occasionally train with an amateur fighter named Casey Johnson, he's had a lot of good things to say about forged fitness and Sommai Muay Thai but I don't have any personal experience.

If you guys are ever in Greenville or New Bern feel free to drop by Moreno BJJ for a night.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
The fact that I'd have to take time off from the gym is literally the only thing keeping me from getting inked.

I have a sickness.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

KingColliwog posted:

That said, I'm up for anything that could potentially work in a judo match. As long as it's within the rules/won't get a mate called I don't mind the move being considered too slow to pull off in a competition.

Depending on how high your knee is, arm drags, loop chokes, underhook back takes, triangles off of either side, omoplatas (questionably legal in judo, definitely not legal as submissions) and inverted arm bars are options. Full guard scissor is a bit more defensive minded to me, I play a lot of high knee half guard because I find it to be a better sweeping position.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
I did my first tournament in nearly two years, first one since blowing my knee out. It was a small regional deal in Raleigh. Good reminder of how atrocious my cardio is, as well as a lot of sloppiness of technique I really need to iron out. I took 2nd place in my no-gi division, 1st in blue belt gi, and dropped out of the absolute before it started due to pulling a butt cheek. Over all reasonably happy. I got thrown on my shoulder 2 days before and wasn't totally sure I was even going to do it.

No-gi 1: Missing a few minutes off the front. http://youtu.be/9CQ3wQW8T40

second match is sideways, I'm fixing it before I upload it.

Gi 1: Strained my hip a little bit, and the Worst Seoi Nage http://youtu.be/cIzdIaM_i1Y

Gi 2: Win by injury. He's apparently had his shoulder worked on a month before. http://youtu.be/9UiZmH_Sw3U

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Rikthor posted:

awkward_turtle

How was that tournament? I was close to going it myself but had something spring up last minute. I may shoot for it next year, although I would be 188.5 but same divisions.

US Grappling actually runs the tournament, and they do as well as anybody. I've been to a NAGA like once, but some of my friends have been and they had nothing but positive things to say when comparing USG. The competition was mostly local, definitely smaller than the last classic I went too, though I'm not entirely sure why. There were still a handful of people from as far as Charlotte and at least one 50/50 rash guard. Rob and Guy Pendergrass are two super nice and classy dudes and it's for charity, there aren't a lot of reasons not to go.

The venue was a little small this time around though. It would have been nice to have a warm up mat.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Kekekela posted:

Our instructors just went up to trade with Marcelo last week, should be getting some second hand goodies once they fully integrate the new stuff into their games. :dance:

When I was training at my old place in school, the highest ranked guy was a blue belt with a few years more experience than me, so I ended up basically training myself with an MGinAction subscription. My guillotine and my butterfly guard are still the best parts of my game. The site is just set up so well, you can look for pretty much any situation and Marcelo has a fix, or you can look at how he avoids the problem to begin with.

When a brown belt moved to town and finally opened up a school, you know what happened though? I got smashed. Smashed into a fine paste. Training partners matter in ways you can't quantify. I switched gyms within the month. Still go train at the old one occasionally because they advertise better and usually have more white belts.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_khBvb3fcI

Slicers and Crushers are not pain moves, in the same way that an armbar hurts but isn't pain compliance. There are consequences.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
The only reason to roll downward I can think of is to either punch the body or your confusing the beginning of a slip with a continuation of the punch.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

If you had ruptured your spleen without emergency care you wouldn't still be alive to post this, which is why your doc wasn't that worried. I've seen a spontaneous splenic rupture once in a patient who had epstein-barr and the pain was severe and tracking through his left abdomen and left shoulder. The most likely case for you is intra-abdominal adhesions snapping and loosening from where they were formed while your spleen was still swollen, in which case it's fine to work em out. I'd try doing some static bridging and rolling the area under your rib with a lacrosse ball to see if that'll loosen it instead of snapping.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

fatherdog posted:

There isn't a gym in the US that makes enough money off of just it's fighters to make ends meet. The lights stay on and the doors stay open because of hobbyists such as yourself, so no gym that actually stays in business is going to neglect the regular clientele. You'll get just as much attention as at any other gym. My advice is to not worry about it, just go in and sign up.

Also, in addition to what fatherdog said, the fighters aren't usually going to be training with the newbies except maybe as instructors. They generally have a small class of their own, or train privately, or in the advanced class. You'll be fine.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
I'm a few hours south of Hampton Roads but one of the purple belts at my gym trains with Ben during the week. I'll vouch for him, they're good people.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Mechafunkzilla posted:

My suggestions:

http://www.richmondbjj.com/ has BJJ and muay thai.

http://www.revolutionbjj.com/ has BJJ and muay thai, and some judo.

Andrew Smith from Revolution runs US Grappling, and thats probably the best mid sized tournament org serving the Carolina and Chesapeake bay area. A dude from Richmond BJJ hosed me up royally at a US Grappling tournament last year, score was like 25-5. So what I'm saying is either is probably good, go where you like people and it's convenient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Ziji posted:

What's the consensus on weight lifting / gaining weight in conjunction with martial arts training? I only recently got healthy again (lots of time recovering and hospitalized in 2015) and I've lost even more weight since I started doing Muay Thai/Tae Kwon Do.

Start slow, eat a lot. Like, a lot a lot, and accept that you're not gonna be able to train lifting quite as hard as people that do it as their only sport. It may be beneficial to count your calories for a while to make sure you're getting enough. My cutting diet revealed to me that I wasn't making maintenance on my double training days and increasing my protein and total calorie intake helped my gains noticeably.

• Locked thread