Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Well I have my first bjj tournament coming next weekend. Couldnt manage to drop down to the 215-229 so looks like I'll be stuck at the 230+ category :( (Im 6'5" and walking around at 240 now). Do you think its worth it to try to lose 10 pounds in a week or would that be too rough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Does anybody else have difficulty explaining combat sports to those who aren't into them? That's why I try to avoid telling people I train BJJ and boxing because other guys automatically think I'm trying to be a bad rear end. I have to explain to them its just a fun hobby to do that keeps you fit, I dont have any delusions about fighting in the UFC etc. etc.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

After looking at Kevin Randleman's pictures of the holes in in his armpit I think I'm going to go to the clinic and get some antibiotics for the mat burn on my foot. The redness and pain seems to be spreading out from the wound and I do not want to take chances with staph.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Senor P. posted:

You should really confirm it is staph (or something else) before taking antibiotics.

Yeah I'll see what the doctor says/prescribes first, and if it does turn out to be staph I'll for sure let the gym know but I dont want to freak everybody out until I know for sure. Ive gotten mat burn on my feet tons of times but they usually heal up quickly and this seems to be getting worse.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Question for you guys when it comes to strength and conditioning. Am I right in assuming the basic idea is its best to focus on strength gain and lifting when you don't have a competition coming up, but when there is a competition coming up its better to focus on cardio, sport specific work-outs, and circuit training? The idea is that strength is slower to build and slower to lose.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Yeah, you do get used to it. Maybe too used to it, where you just leave your head out there to get tagged.

Yes I remember when I started to become really comfortable sparring, it really makes sparring start to be fun instead of just nerve wracking, but at the end of the night you cant help but wonder how much irreversible brain damage you've done to yourself.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Guilty posted:

You should both be sparring with 16 oz gloves and headgear, it should feel like getting hit with a pillow. Brain damage shouldn't even enter into the equation

Huh? You can get get rocked pretty good even with 16 oz gloves. And I thought it was generally accepted that headgear doesn't really protect against brain injury, just cuts.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

TheStampede posted:

Ha ha ha, so I had a fight tomorrow. I was on my 5th opponent for this card, and I just found out he dropped as well. He was 3-1 in MMA, and I'm 2-2 in MT. That's okay though, they found someone who would take the fight on less then 24hr notice.

This guy

Guess that advice of yours is really timely, Guilty.

Promoters are shady assholes. They decide to pair a guy with 26 fights with a guy making his mma debut.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

TheStampede posted:

Ended up losing a split decision. So it goes.

You went the distance against a guy with way more experience, thats excellent.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Prathm posted:

Got my first Judo-class tonight. Nervous.

Any last-minute advice?

Tuck and roll grandma! But no, exhale and keep your chin down when being throw. Dont try to brace for impact and be prepared to be told you're not getting low enough on your hip throws.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Xguard86 posted:

Ya that would cover it. I do bjj for fun and exercise, live in a first world country and stay out of bad spots whenever possible. So far so good.

Yeah I agree, I think martial arts for self-defense is pretty dumb considering most of the time "on the street" there are things like guns, friends jumping in, and assault charges.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

So I'm doing my first pure striking competition in less than a month. Its a novice amateur boxing event with three-two minute rounds. Over the past 4 years or so I've done quite a bit of kickboxing and boxing for mma, but never traditional boxing. My biggest problem I'm getting when I'm sparring is being able to land right hands and avoiding overreaching with my punches. It seems whenever I try a 1-2 I am way off with my 2 and I end up reaching to try to catch them with it. Any tips?

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Drewjitsu posted:

I can't find it for the life of me, but I saw a t-shirt choke demonstrated where you grab inside the collar, and then bunch up the shirt into your hand (ideally going all the way to the end of the shirt, so you have a strong grip to choke with.

Also, spill the beans man! If you've got some technology, share it with the class!

You just grab the skin like you would a lapel!

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Metal Gear posted:

My gym is having an in-house fight night and I'm thinking of signing up for kickboxing. I would sign up for MMA, but I've only VERY recently started to learn a ground game and I know I would just end up getting destroyed as soon as I was taken to the mat. Anyone have any good advice for someone about to enter their first organized kickboxing match?

Sparring and cardio, cardio and sparring. I've got my first boxing match coming up and thats pretty much what everybody is telling me and it seems to be good advice. The biggest problem with novices is some of them get hit good once and lose their will to fight, the second biggest problem is they gas out after about 30 seconds.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

It seems that when it comes to sparring(whether its boxing or MT) I'm always much more tense and nervous against somebody I know is more experienced and better than me, but if I'm with somebody my same level or lower I'm way more relaxed and can just have fun.

It seems like I'm way too defensive against guys I know who are better and all I end up doing is jabbing and covering up and circling away.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Ugh first boxing match was going well, kinda turned into a brawl but I was landing some decent shots. Then I planted wrong with my leg and my knee popped and I lost via doctor stopage. Now I'm worried I tore something and I wont be able to do anything this summer :(.

I'm kinda proud of myself that I didn't shy away when he came out to brawl but I wish I would just stuck with using technique that I'd been training for.

EDIT: Thats some tight looking technique with that right cross gimp.

FreddyJackieTurner fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 29, 2012

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Hotdog In A Hallway posted:

The same thing happened to me in my very first (and last) amateur boxing match.

Torn ACL :( Have you seen an orthopedic surgeon yet?

Yup, torn ACL as well. Everybody I've talked commented on how you usually dont see knee injuries from regular boxing, good to see I have a "blown knee from boxing" buddy. :unsmith:

Luckily the orthopedic surgeon I saw through my college is pretty well reputed, but its still a huge bummer, I had planned to compete in some BJJ tournies this summer.

How long ago was it? Did you recover well?

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Omglosser posted:

Or it may just be a totally mental thing: younger guys on some level may submit to the older men without even realizing it, and the older guy just capitalizes on it.

This is why the older guy is usually the top. :lol:

In all seriousness, I do believe there is some "sensei worship" that goes on even in BJJ. When I roll with an older guy with a higher belt I tend not be as explosive in scrambles and tap a little easier. I think some of it is not wanting to embarrass him or make him angry and some of it may subconsciously allowing myself to lose easier because I believe hes more skilled than me and that is what I'm supposed to do.

And I too believe in old man strength, I think strength is the last physical attribute to go with age.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Xguard86 posted:

I don't know if it's because I started grappling before sparring or if it's me or if it's general but I feel like striking sparring is harder mentally than rolling.

Granted I've had like four rounds of boxing but I don't remember being so up in my head early in bjj.

Yes striking is a lot more nerve racking. Before BJJ competitions I'm a little nervous but I don't get anything like the adrenaline dump I did for mma and boxing.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Fontoyn posted:

Hey MMA bros:

I work a desk job 8-10hrs a day before I go train. How the gently caress do I pump myself up before practice?

edit: er, mindset and getting myself from lazy desk worker thoughts to loving things up thoughts.

Start drinking a lot of coffee. I always drink coffee before working out and training.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

So I've been out off BJJ for a couple months now due to a ACL tear and I'm wondering if you guys have any must see submission grappling matches that I need to watch.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Thoguh posted:

Its important to wear protection when aggressively hugging sweaty men. It's reasonable to prefer to aggressively hug sweaty men who also chose to wear protection.

And for me at least, I am a hypochondriac about skin stuff because of how contagious it is and how little control I have about making sure other people are doing what they need to do to not have anything I could catch. Tournaments are the worst. People in your club you can influence, guys from other clubs you can't. And at tournaments it's not like you shower after every match.

I'm pretty stupid, in the past I often neglected to shower in favor of rubbing myself down with hand sanitizer.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

At my new bjj gym they like to do cartwheels as part of their warm up and I cant do cartwheels and Im a blue belt. I feel very ashamed and embarrassed about this.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

As I said, its research for a project, anything else was an afterthought. Also I don't think its wise to do running/track with my weight as it is.

I'll look into this, though a part of me is a little disappointed at the lack of strikes/punching.

The only problem is, learning how to strike "for real" requires lots of hard sparring and unless you want to be a fighter I just dont think its worth it to take all those shots to the head.

Stick with BJJ, you can pressure test yourself without getting your rear end kicked.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

McNerd posted:

Yeah you can pretty much just study whatever the smaller people are studying, become as technically solid as they are, and then drop them on their heads.

"How much do you weigh, dude?"
"How much do you bench, dude?"

I learned to always play guard unless the smaller guy is a lot better than me so I dont get guilt tripped about smooshing them.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Anybody have tips for lower back pain that refuses to go away? It seems to improve some but then come back worse after I try lifting or rolling. My idea is just to do a couple of weeks of low impact cardio like swimming or the elliptical with no lifting or rolling and see if that helps. Its been bothering me for almost 2 months now and I cant really afford an MRI to see exactly whats going on.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

Where on you back does it hurt? Is it spine or muscle? Is it a dull ache or a sharp pain? Does it radiate to anywhere else on your body?

My lower back, probably on the same plane as my belly button on my spine. Its a dull ache and tends to radiate outwards to my muscles. It tends to be worse in the morning.

Oh and sometimes I get a spasm of sharp pain when I try to lift something heavy.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Now that Im drawing near another BJJ tourney, I want to transition from my 3 time a week 5 x 5 program to a lifting program thats twice or once a week to make time for more cardio, rolling, etc. Any suggestions?

Also I am visiting family on the big island of HI for a week, where should I go for BJJ?

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Xguard86 posted:

I will never understand how someone in 2014 would look at soldiering and professional fighting and say, "hey thats basically the same thing!"

Some people still don't believe me when I say high school wrestling will prepare somebody for hand to hand combat much more than any branch of the military ever will.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Mongmonghi posted:

I have been training Muay Thai for 3 years now but I feel I am a natural grappler when I fight.
So apart clinching I pretty much suffer in all other aspects of the martial art, now that I might change the city where I live in and I think in the city where I am moving there will be respectable MMA or Brazilian Jiu jitsu trainers, I was thinking about switching.
So my question is, is it better to go for pure B JJ or MMA training?
I am not intrested in the competitive aspect of the arts, I am more into the gymnastics and the arts themselves, I wanted to train Muay Thai in order to avoid all the spiritual martial art psychos that tend to flood the dojos where I live.. So what do you suggest guys?

BJJ, the rank will provide a fun sense of progression and you can test your skill level by rolling, where as if you're just training mma without fighting you'll never really know where you stand. Plus, the 'jiu-jitsu lifestyle' is fun and rewarding.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Nierbo posted:

Also I'm in danger of never grappling in a gi again. No gi is insanely fun and a little more practical too.

Im the opposite, used to do almost all no gi, now I like gi better. Getting a good grip and controlling somebody is satisfying, plus Im getting older and super hard scrambles are losing their appeal. And if you live in a place where its cold and people wear jackets, gi is plenty practical if you're talking self-defense!

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Have you folks caught the new Anthony Bourdain episode of him training at Ralph's with Kurt? Sounds like they let Kurt pick the soundtrack for the show.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Does this pass have a name to it? From the closed guard the top guy gets an underhook, sprawls out, and walks his way to the other side, breaking open the guard, and passing. I had a bigger brown belt do this to me twice today and I forgot to ask him about it.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

MalleusDei posted:

Probably the over under pass, but someone better than me should confirm that.

Nope the under hook isnt on my leg, its keeping me from taking his back. But its similar.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

origami posted:

Sounds like the Tozi pass or some variant.

I've read folks refer to it as the Sau Paulo pass too.

Thats it! Thanks guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

CommonShore posted:

I tried that Tozi/Chim/Sao Paulo pass a few times this weekend. It worked well on smaller folks but on larger folks it mostly resulted in getting omaplataed. Gonna have to watch more videos.

Yes and when I tried it my guy cross faced me super hard so I couldnt get good head position and he used this to wriggle his leg free to prevent me from "killing his hips".

• Locked thread