Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Why is it that boxing gyms have a near-100% rate of people wrapping their hands for training, but most thai boxing / MMA schools have a near-100% rate of people not wrapping their hands for practice? Obviously, everyone wraps for competition, but I've heard conflicting opinions on wrapping for training, and I'm curious what you guys think.

I understand the point of wrapping - it stabilizes the wrist so that the metacarpal bones are aligned appropriately with the forearm, and it also compresses the tissue of the hand so that the force of the punch is absorbed by the metacarpals and the surrounding tissue, rather than by the metacarpals alone. I have trained with and without wrapping, and don't really have a position on the issue. I've never been injured when training unwrapped, but that doesn't really mean anything - I could just be lucky.

Some people say that you should wrap for everything - focus mitts, speed bag, heavy bag, sparring, competition. The typical argument that I hear is that this is to prevent injuries. New people, and experienced people with bad form, may need the wrapping to prevent injuries resulting from their poor technique. More experienced people may need wrapping to prevent injuries resulting from really hard punches. I've also heard that wrapping is particularly important to prevent injuries where you are punching an unpredictable target (like a sparring partner or during certain focus mitt drills), because sometimes the unpredictability of the target results in a bad punch (even for an experience person). The people I've met who hold this position have all been boxing people.

Some people say that you should wrap for heavier sparring and heavy bag workouts, but for light stuff and focus mitts, you don't need to.

Some people say that you should only wrap for competition. I have been at a seminar with a very successful MMA instructor who said that his guys don't wrap unless it is for competition, because they don't hit hard enough to warrant wrapping during their training sessions - and he was talking about new students and experienced students. His opinion was that people should not be hitting hard enough to require wrapping when they are training.

At the thai boxing and MMA classes I've been to, I've never seen anyone wrap - even though hitting thai pads with punches is definitely harder on the hands than hitting boxing mitts. I have been to one or two MMA classes where everyone wrapped, and it seemed like part of their training culture.

edit: not trying to start a shitstorm about wrapping vs. not wrapping, I am mostly interested in hearing from people at thai / mma schools who DO wrap for training, and from people at boxing gyms who do not wrap. I'd like to hear why you do or do not wrap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Thanks for the responses guys, I appreciate it.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I think it's a cultural thing - hand-to-hand combat involving striking, whether armed or not, is the image that we use to symbolize "a fight" - sometimes that image includes the combatants rolling around on the groud willy-nilly, but even then they are usually trying to hit each other.

Arm bars, leg bars, shoulder locks, chokes - these things have been mostly ignored in the common conception of fighting (although I think historical evidence proves that they have always been a part of fighting).

So when you think of striking, you associate it with the common understanding of fighting, and this triggers a heightened fight/flight sort of response. When you think of grappling, as a newcomer or layperson, you don't associate it with fighting so you don't get anxious.

With the widening popularity of MMA, I think grappling is becoming a bigger part of the cultural conception of fighting, so I think everyone's default responses to striking vs. grappling will even out in the long run.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

suboptimal posted:

I'm on track to get a significant raise later on this month, and I'm considering getting back into martial arts after a long hiatus from them. I was thinking about taking up Krav Maga in Washington, DC, and it seems like the only game in town is (fittingly enough) Krav Maga DC. Does anyone have any experience with these guys, or point me towards something better if it exists? My goals here are mostly to learn self defense and improve my fitness.

I'm about 5'11" and weigh 180 or so, I lift weights and mountain bike fairly frequently. I studied a Japanese form of jujutsu for about a year and did BJJ for about six months when I was in graduate school.

I won't comment on whether Krav Maga is worthwhile or not, but I will point you to Beta Academy for solid muay thai and bjj training. The instructors have great pedigree and are really good people, the students are great, and the classes are a great workout. The only downside is that I found Beta to be too expensive for me when I was investigating it.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Moniker posted:

So I'm in my third week of BJJ. When I roll with people I still don't have a clue as to what I'm doing. Is there something that I should focus on trying to do while rolling? Like a basic technique? Should I just try to pass guard?

For newbies, the best way to roll is to treat it as drilling with resistance. For example, tell your partner that you want to practice passing the guard (assuming you learned a method for that), and you want them to resist that. If you pass the guard, you go back into the guard and start over and pass again. Or pick an armbar technique - if you learned an armbar from side mount, start in sidemount and try to get the armbar. If your partner escapes or reverses you, or you get the armbar, you reset and start over. You can also practice reversals or escapes in this manner.

As a newbie, you really really need to limit the scope of your rolling so that you don't spend 80% of your rolling time in positions that you don't know anything about, because that's just a waste of everyone's time.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I am moving into a house with no garage but it has a large, two-car steel carport thing. I am tempted to hang a heavy bag from the carport - you guys think this is feasible? I am mostly concerned that it will make an insanely large amount of thunderish noise when I use it - I kicked a support beam directly and the whole structure resonated a moderate amount. I am hoping that the hanging bag won't impart too much force up the chain to make the carport rattle, but I've never hung a bag from a carport before.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Fontoyn posted:

Strikechat:

I'm having a lot of trouble with guys who back up/circle away unnecessarily from my strikes. For example: I paw lead inside leg kicks to establish my striking range, but it almost becomes irrelevant when every time I raise my leg they immediately dash back 4 or 5 steps.

It's an easy way to tire out skittish opponents, but the problem persists outside of trying to establish range. A lot of my opponents will dash 4 or 5 steps out of my range every time I try to land any kind of punchkick combination. I end up having to almost run after some guys and then I'm open for rebound pushkicks/teeps before I have any chance to connect.

With this situation in mind, how do I respond to guys who are constantly backing up/circling away besides waiting for them to tire out?

If they are backing up, continue pressuring them - if they are backing up, (1) they aren't throwing anything at you, (2) they may trip themselves and (3) they will run out of room and then you get to pummel them against the wall.

If they are circling out, just wait a bit. They can't attack you if they are constantly circling out and retreating, so let them come to you a little. When you see them plant their feet (or just one foot), you know they can't get out easily, so that's when you go in.

If they don't plant their feet, and thus do not commit their weight and power to an attack, then they are just fluttering around throwing half-hearted strikes - which is fine for them to do, but shouldn't concern you because they are basically just performing some interpretative dance.

I've sparred against people who just dance around because they are a) afraid of getting hit and b) lack confidence in their own attacks. For these people, you just wait. If you get bored, try to zone them into a corner.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

kimbo305 posted:

e: for those of you pondering how you might train MA to survive street fights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHhcckEoAXU
answer: back down and avoid the conflict.

Pink shirt's first mistake (aside from engaging in a potential 1v3) was leading with high kicks, that's a great way to get yourself off balance and you are likely to miss unless you are skilled. His second mistake was trying to grapple/clinch bald dude when he was facing 1v3 - as soon as he was tied up with bald dude, black shirt came in.

At :46, both pink shirt and bald dude are on the ground, and black shirt is standing; bald dude falls onto his back, and pink shirt - instead of standing back up and taking a better position against black shirt - follows bald dude. That was a pretty critical error, because he had a small window of opportunity to escape/reframe the fight, and he didn't take it. From that point forward, he is on his back with two men standing and attacking him - he is straight up hosed.

As he tries to get back up, his hands stay at his waist (not protecting his head) and that's how he catches a kick to the head which knocks him out.

I like to show street fight videos like this to students and training partners, because these videos illustrate key differences between street fights and sport fights. Mobility is key, positioning is key, strong defense is key, and choice of offensive techniques is key.

And, obviously, walking away is almost always the best option. Especially for stupid, meaningless conflicts like this one.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I was recently perusing the school/gym reviews on bullshido, and there is a review for the College of William and Mary bjj club - in which the OP talks about how they frequently "call out" the other martial arts clubs and beat them, etc. There was some dispute in that thread over whether such call outs ever actually occurred, but in my opinion it is a) an incredibly immature thing to do in general and b) even more immature to brag about it later.

But then, college students.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cyphoderus posted:

There's an old video of Rickson Gracie fighting with a wrestler on the beach in Rio that was used by the Gracie school as advertisement. "This is what you'll be able to do!" For many years, there was a huge overlap between BJJ students in Rio and young men who enjoyed going out and picking fights with basically anyone. BJJ students were responsible for many, many street fights, for reasons ranging from school pride to "he looked at my girlfriend funny". I've also had a lot of contact with the capoeira community and that one is also street fights for your pride, all the time.

The situation is much better now. But BJJ still carries a bad reputation for most laymen. I've had to endure more than a weird, "I never thought you were that kind of person" look when telling people I'm doing BJJ...

When BJJ was beginning to mainstream in the US, I remember reading an article that discussed the rise of young men in Rio who were learning jujitsu then picking fights at night. This was probably, I dunno, twelve years ago?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So, uh, where can I train this?

entris fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 23, 2012

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Xguard86 posted:

This is pretty tangential but related to the self defense topic:

I understand why every ma sells defense and why it gets people through the door. I think the first skill level you pass is if you can use whatever you do on an untrained guy near your size, or a lot bigger. Once you're schooling dudes fresh off the street with relative ease, i can't imagine staying interested in not moving further, but a lot of these schools never talk about anything except that. I just see those adds for self defense martial arts and think, "how can you train that for years and still find it interesting or challenging?"

Like even if you're into kung fu, you can work kata until you die, or reach higher and higher inside yourself but the skill ceiling for beating up drunks is awfully low.

There's more depth to self-defense than that, I think. A 1v1 fight against a drunk person is pretty easy for a trained person, I agree, but the more likely scenario is that you get jumped by multiple attackers, with weapons in play. Also, you really shouldn't be fighting 1v1 against a drunk person anyway - just leave.

Someone who really wants to defend themselves should learn how to defend against 2 or 3 attackers, and they should learn how to defend against weapons - clubs, knives, and guns. (Defending against a weapon, when you are unarmed, is a pretty terrible idea regardless of how amazing you are, so I would never recommend that unless you literally are about to be beaten/stabbed/shot.)

Because a good defense against multiple attackers, and against weapons, is to have a weapon yourself, you are now looking at a curriculum that includes weapon training - and not your traditional martial arts weapons that nobody is going to carry around (I'm looking at you, tonfa, three-part staff, rope-dart, swords, bows+arrows, two-handed anything, whips, etc.). You are looking at learning how to use small knives, guns, and clubs.

I would say that a curriculum which deals wtih multiple attackers, defense against weapons, and offensive use of weapons, is a pretty difficult curriculum to feel confident in - it's a much higher bar than just defending against drunks.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
While being mindful of Rule 1 in the OP, I think the problem with Aikido is definitely its training method. The throws and joint manipulations found in that art are solid, from a technique standpoint, but students aren't trained on how to reliably use them. They just aren't used to aggressive attackers, especially aggressive attackers who aren't going to throw the type of strikes that the Aikido person is used to.

There are some videos on youtube with an "Aikido" person doing well in a fight, and almost invariably the fight looks more like your typical MMA fight - the Aikido person does the same things that any other trained MMA person would do, with perhaps better throwing or better joint manipulation. You see the same takedowns that any grappler might use, you see the guard, you see side mount, you see boxing defense like parrying, slipping, catching.

You never ever see flowery, beautiful looking Aikido being used in a contested fight (whether sparring or "on the street").

One of my past instructors, who knows a ton of wrist locks and throws in addition to typical MMA things, used to say the complicated throws and joint manipulation are fantastic once you have closed the gap and softened your opponent up. Once you've gotten into standing grappling range, and your opponent is dazed/slowed because you already elbowed him in the face on the way in, then you can pull of something pretty because then you are essentially working with a large, compliant bodybag - which, now that I think about it, is the kind of person that most Aikido students are used to working with in their training. They just don't know how to get someone to act that way in a fight.

entris fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 29, 2012

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Xguard86 posted:

The story is that ueshiba would only take students at black belt or higher. That's actually more of a middle rank in Japan as opposed to our idea of bb as Master level. but ya,I think a lot of Aikido assumes familiarity with fighting before you get in the door.

However there is also the fact that Aikido changed along with ueshiba as he aged. a lot of modern aikido is modeled after older ueshiba, since that's when more students found the style and it's simply the most recent experience, rather than early Aikido that may have been more physical and practical.

Also, if you are trying to run a school, you can't restrict classes to those people with black-belt experience - not if you want to pay your rent. You have to let in complete novices.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I think n3rdal3rt's point was that you can't really "resist" a wrist-lock without running the risk that your wrist will break. Wrist-locks in particular have a very very small window of opportunity in which the victim can escape/resist before the wrist is broken. A wrist-lock used in combat is quick - you get the structure in place and you snap the wrist. If you were to spar that, the second you correctly apply one, you are almost guaranteed to break your opponent's wrist. If you spar wrist-locks, but you slowly apply the pressure, the other party has plenty of time to get out - which is unrealistic in terms of "combat application of wrist-locks" and defeats the whole purpose.

Thoguh posted:

Akido and arts like it aren't about training for a fight. They are about training to respond to an attack or subdue someone. They aren't supposed to be useful for a UFC fighter. They are supposed to be useful to a bouncer/policeman.

This is why people criticize aikido and similar "too deadly to be sparred with" systems - people tend to fight how they train. If you can't realistically spar your art, you will have trouble applying it in a fight.

People who are successful in using wrist-locks and whatnot are usually able to rely on gap-closing techniques from other arts to get them into position for the lock.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Someone correct me, but I thought that high level "Dan" ranks (ie, 8 through 10) in traditional asian martial arts are supposed to be very rare and more akin to lifetime achievement awards - as in, only really really old dudes are supposed to have things like 9th Dan or 10th Dan or whatever, and there's usually only one or two of them alive for any particular system.

So I would instantly be suspicious of anyone outside of Japan who claims anything above an 8th Dan in a system - especially if they don't show up on Google as giving seminars across the world, or whatever.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
For starters, don't poop in them.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Thanks for the glovedog chat earlier. I have a small group that trains together, and I provide the shared gloves and focus mitts. (All new stuff, we just bought the gear a week ago). I went out and got a tub of those Clorox disinfecting wipes, a bag of cedar chips, some socks, and a couple of cheap kitchen towels. I made glovedogs out of the chips and socks, and we'll use the towels to wipe off sweat when trading gloves and mitts during sessions. I'll wipe down the insides of everything after each training session. Hopefully no odor problems will result.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Black Cat posted:

I've been considering getting into some sort of MA for a while. I work in the restaurant/bar world, and conflict rears its head at least once a month now thanks to all the mma-watching texas-style guidos running around.

I haven't hit anyone since I was 12 and I'm 27 now. I've always talked my way out of fights and avoided them well enough, but I've grown a bit tired of drunks calling me every name under the sun, sometimes for absolutely no reason at all (maybe they think im someone else? :ohdear:).

I never plan to jump into someone's face, but my tongue is sharp as gently caress and I'd love to be able to use it confidently.

The gist of it is someone will assume I'm a bus boy and wants to show off to their friends by picking on me. The crazy thing is its almost always someone smaller than me. At worst they're my size. I'll have a million sharp and insulting comebacks roaring through my head but I just bite my tongue and stay angry half the night. The management and longterm employees tell me I can tell them to gently caress off and use whatever kind of language I want, and if they swing first I'm free to do whatever.

With that said, I'm much more interested in defensive combat. Hell I'd love to never even swing at someone if I don't have to. Between breaking my own hand and breaking someone's face (which would cause legal trouble I'd imagine), I'd much rather just avoid it.

I live in a big town, what should I look for that involves quickly pins/submissions? I'm 6'0 170 athletic build. I've been in the gym for a while focusing on heavy lifts. Tonight I'm getting back into the running scene.

Get a new job if you find yourself constantly angry at your customers. In fact, find a new job anyway, because a place where management thinks its ok to mistreat customers is a lovely place.

If you are going to stay at that job, you absolutely do not need to be getting into physical alterations with customers - nor should you be provoking them with your rapier-like wit and biting comebacks. The owner of the bar has absolutely zero interest in defending against tort suits because one of his employees decided to mouth off to annoying customers. You will lose your job very quickly if you hurt a customer.

Basically, your post comes down to "I want to be able to shoot my mouth off when someone calls me a bad name, and I'm so good at trash talking that they'll invariably attack me, and I want to know how to hurt them - oh but I don't really want to fight, so I want to learn something defensive."

You want to learn how to fight so that you can pick fights with angry/dickish drunks. Not a good reason to learn how to fight.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Back in college, a buddy and I trained together at two different schools - one was bjj, one was a mix of everything - for 5-6 days a week, for 2-4 hours a day.

When college ended, I went to grad school and my training dropped tremendously, and then stopped altogether for about 7 years. He continued to train hard, but he stayed in his entry-level job for about four years before getting a marginal promotion.

End result:
My buddy is now an instructor, and I am not.
I have have a wife, a house, a son (who I adore), a graduate degree, and a job that pays much more than his, whereas he just got married, lives in a small apartment, and has a much lower earning potential.

I recently got back into training, because I love this stuff, and there are many days where I regret not taking the path that he took. Sometimes I really wish that I had focused my twenties on training, rather than on my "real" career. Now I have a family and a mortgage payment and I can only give 4-6 hours a week to training, if that. But I love my wife, I love my kid, and I have a solid career.

It's all about tradeoffs.

If you are young, and passionate about martial arts, spend as much time as you can training - you will have less time later in life. Get as much knowledge as you can burned into your muscle memory. The opportunity costs for training get much steeper as you age.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

n3rdal3rt posted:

So tomorrow is my first jujitsu tournament. It's just an inter-club tournament so it should be pretty small. Hopefully I can get some video so everyone can ridicule my performance. Any tips (other then don't die)?

I assume you get points for takedowns, getting mount or back, for sweeping someone out of your guard, for passing guard to sidemount, etc. If it's your first tournament, I would suggest that you prioritize winning positions and points first, and only use armbars and chokes as ways to set up takedowns, sweeps, moving to the back, etc. Don't worry about trying to win through submission. Do worry about making sure you are well-defended as you move for takedowns, sweeps, and whatnot - you don't want to get caught by an armbar or choke.

I'll never forget a blue belt match where one guy used this strategy and racked up a ton of points. The other side got annoyed that he never really committed to an armbar or choke and he played a very tight defensive game which prevented his oppoenent from getting any submissions. His opponent kept trying for armbars and chokes, while he moved from position to position and just played a points game.

A lot of beginners will fixate on winning by submission, so they fight and fight for an armbar or choke, while the opponent fights and fights to get out. Much better to go for the armbar or choke, and if the opponent squirrels out or resists, use his resistance to get into a better position. This gets you points and doesn't let you overcommit to one technique and get reversed yourself.

Also I hope your cardio is good, because all other things being equal, the guy with better cardio and aggressiveness usually wins.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Boxing is great for self-defense in situations that can be avoided in the first place - the drunk at the bar (who you can avoid by leaving the bar), the tough guy trying to prove his social dominance (who you can avoid by not mouthing off and backing out fo the altercation). It's not particularly helpful in situations where self-defense = surviving the encounter.

Boxing versus an armed attacker is a pretty terrible idea, and let's face it: if someone is going to mug you or attack you for some other reason, they are almost certainly going to be armed. Boxing versus multiple attackers may help you move around and keep them at bay, provided that they don't rush you all at once and provided that they don't have any weapons.

Throwing a good bare-knuckle punch is likely to break your hand on your attacker's head, unless you are incredibly skilled/lucky and you manage to hit the jaw or nose. Punching anywhere else on your attacker's body (other than the groin) is going to hurt, but won't incapacitate him. And if you later need your fingers to work, for example if you need to quickly get in your car to drive off or to turn a door handle to get into a safe place, you may not want to throw punches that could disable your hands.

I like boxing a lot but let's not pretend that it's useful for self-defense, unless your concept of "self-defense" is limited only to avoidable fights with unarmed aggressors who aren't really trying to kill you.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Moniker posted:

I finally built up the balls to take my first muay thai class and I talked to the teacher just to make sure I had everything I needed. All I need is gloves, wraps (optional), and a mouth guard for now. I got a mouth guard and I boiled it, fit it to me, etc. I put it in and gagged like crazy.

Every time I put my mouthguard in I gag like a freak. I cut the back of it as far as I could but it doesn't help. Does anyone have any tricks on how to not throw up from this drat thing? I already get nauseous when I get winded so adding a mouth guard into the mix will literally make me throw up.

Sounds like you have an extra sensitive gag reflex. Try googling "how to get rid of my gag reflect", I'm sure that will help.

Seriously though, you'll have to spend some time with the mouthguard in, just trying to be calm and relaxed, maybe just sitting in your computer chair browsing the forums. Try to put it in for one second, then two, etc etc.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Xguard86 posted:

You could cross post a lot of stuff between this thread and the sex advice thread and no one would catch on.

The self-defense discussions would not go over well in the sex advice thread, I think.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

kimbo305 posted:

Look if you want to be 100% safe, just turn around, and run away as fast as you can. There's no more effective way of getting out of the situation than having good running shoes.

:raise:

There really ought to be a self-defense thread, because self-defense discussions in this thread often seem out-of-place to me.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is it even possible to use Aikido to get in shape for Krav Maga? :psyduck:

That's like walking around your block to prepare for a half-marathon.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I think good Krav Maga is a great intro course to martial arts. It exposes you to some striking, some grappling, some joint-lock stuff, and some weapons stuff. It also focuses a lot on conditioning, and it tries to instill aggressiveness/assertiveness in the students. It's kind of like an associate's degree. (In this metaphor, a blue/purple belt in bjj, a blackbelt in traditional martial arts, and maybe three to four years of intense training in any other system are bachelors degrees, and anything beyond is a graduate degree.)

The problem is that a lot of krav instructors are pay-for-certification instructors, and also the curriculum is not particularly deep, so a krav guy is going to get out-grappled by a grappler, out-punched/kicked by boxers and kickboxers, and murdered by weapons people.

But for most krav students, that doesn't really matter because they a) won't be competing in grappling, striking, or weapons sparring and b) almost certainly won't be relying on their krav in self-defense circumstances.

Krav is really great if you want to dip your toe in the pool of martial arts, and you want a good work-out, and you like hitting pads instead of aerobic boxing/kickboxing. If you find yourself really getting into striking, or grappling, or weapons, then it's time to switch to a system dedicated to that.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
re: washing your gear

I don't know why you guys wash your gi, part of my strategy is to demoralize all of my opponents (training partners, whatever) with the smell alone.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Fontoyn posted:

My hands will never be that low again. Next fight is early September so the list of things I can improve on is long but time is short.
1. Hands
2. Cardio
3. Nickname
4. Walkout music

Is basically my focus flowchart for the next month. Coach gave me a week off to rest/heal my face, thankfully. Fighting at the state college I'm an incoming freshman at

You need to stop taking so many hits to the head because this. So make sure better head movement, bob+weave, and defensive hand techniques are all part of your flowchart.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mr Interweb posted:

Sup guys. Haven't posted in this thread for a while.

I gots a me a question, but unlike the usual questions I used to ask, this one's admittedly, a little bit more difficult to answer. Basically, does anyone have any advice on helping eliminate or at least diminish fear when trying to fight?

Practicing moves, and hitting the punching bags is fun and all, but getting in there and actually fighting someone is a completely different matter. I've been skinny all my life (still am), and never been in a REAL fight, ever. Ashamed to admit it, but I've essentially always had to back down. My physique and my inability to fight diminished any confidence I might have otherwise have had in standing up for myself. Looking back, I wondered if I knew how to fight, if I actually would ENGAGE in a fight. Probably may have helped a little, but I'd still most likely be worried about getting hurt to risk it.

Similarly I worry about that right now, when the subject of sparring comes up. Granted, they're not rushing me, and in fact they recommend practicing for six months before any attempt to spar, but still.

Any advice is totally appreciated.

First off, understand the nature of fear. Fear is a chemical response that your brain triggers when you perceive something threatening. That's it. It's a bunch of chemicals that get dumped in your bloodstream, and they raise your heart-rate, make your muscles tighten up, increase your mental focus on the threat, etc.

Do not be afraid of fear, but do not dismiss it either. It is what it is - you are going to have a fear response when sparring, when competing, when real fighting, when arguing with a stranger, when skydiving, etc, etc. Many professional fighters have talked about their super-high level of fear before a bout - and they still go into the ring and fight.

The best way to get used to fear is to experience the chemical dump many times, and each time push yourself to continue moving. In the beginning, it won't take much to trigger the response - maybe just some light sparring against a resisting opponent will do it. Later, you may find that you really need some heavy-hitting, all-out MMA action to trigger your fear. Find your comfort level, and push yourself just a little beyond it to get the fear response, and then train in that mental space. Once you are getting comfortable, push beyond your comfort level again. Rinse, repeat.

Once you have felt the fear response a zillion times, you won't get freaked out by it. You'll still feel it, although some people do see a reduction in intensity, but you won't be crippled or frozen by it.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The arm triangle works great for no-go, especially if the guy throws a punch while in your guard. I don't understand the skepticism about it, it's just a basic choke.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Omglosser posted:

When I was new to grappling a ninja tapped me while I was mounted on him.

what, with a pressure point?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Kumo Jr. posted:

I don't know. I've seen it down a zillion times from top position, but I've never seen anyone try it from guard. I just don't think it would work. The guy being attacked has superior leverage... it just seems to me that the guard isn't enough to overwhelm an opponent into submission. He should be able to posture up out of the attack in a hundred different ways.

I first learned it from the guard - in fact I think it was one of the very first chokes I ever learned. For straight grappling it is not particularly useful - rarely do grapplers overextend one arm across center line in a way that allows you to land it - but in no-gi sparring when strikes are allowed, it is much more useful.

And a guy throwing punches, who gets caught in the arm triangle, can't just posture up, especially if you bring your (locked) ankles higher on his back, so that your weight is really pulling down on his upper torso. It's not hard to prevent someone from posturing out of it.

quote:

If it did work, than you should see it all the time in MMA fights. When is the last time you saw a guy even attempt that attack in the UFC? I saw that someone said Liddell vs. Horn, but I don't remember that happening. If it did happen it was a combination of Horn's experience and Liddell's surprise that he even tried it.

It's like any other submission - if your opponent wriggles out or postures up or tries to defend, you just switch to the next move or position. If it works, it works, if it doesn't, at least it sets you up for a sweep or the back.

You won't see it a lot in UFC fights because experienced fighters do not throw wild punches while in someone's guard, which is precisely the type of attack that the arm triangle counters.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I knew an instructor who was an FBI agent. He relayed the story that they had some ninjitsu folks come into his bjj group for some sparring, and he thought the pressure points were "just the nicest massage you can imagine."

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
In fairness, the only other way to play with swords involves death.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Zombywuf posted:

There are ways of playing with swords that do not involve death and are not about playing tag. A system that doesn't effectively penalise both players for not lunging wildly at each other to get a double would be a start. The problem they have is that they are subjective, as it requires a referee judging the quality of the hit.

I was making joke. Ha ha.

How did the knights used to fight in tourneys back in the olden days? Surely every tournament was not to the death, they must have had a way to compete without murdering each other. How was that done - and why not just replicate that?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Omglosser posted:

Speaking of Olympic Judo, this untrained 200 lb guy I work with who moonlights as a bouncer is convinced he could take Marti Malloy in a street fight. I told him he is out of his mind and she would make him cry. :colbert:

Is this where we point out that martial experts can be easily taken out with dirty tricks or weapons?

I don't know if your coworker could beat an Olympic judoka in a street fight, but I wouldn't put money on the fight either way.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Paul Pot posted:

I guess Muay Thai is a difficult case because it's an actual thing instead of a movie myth, but many practitioners feel the urge to unironically bless the 4 pygmy spirits of the ring and listen the worst "music" besides vuvuzelas during fights.

I hope this is tongue-in-cheek. The Thai pre-fight ritual is about paying respects - to one's instructors, one's opponents, the judges, and the crowd. It takes a few minutes and actually requires you to focus on it.

It's too bad that other competitive martial arts do not include a similarly-solemn show of respect. Instead we get boxers and MMA guys who walk out to the ring to aggressive, profanity-laden rap / rock / metal. They get in the ring, touch gloves for a fleeting moment, and then fight.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Xguard86 posted:

The biggest egoists and assholes I've met were always going on about respect and how they were so morally superior to those thuggish (whatever style) guys because they bow to sensei and are totally humble, let me tell you how humble I am because I am a deadly human weapon but you'd never know it because I understand true Budo and mediate under my shower waterfalls on the meaning of a warrior's death in hand to hand combat in America in 2012 while those jerks at the boxing gym are wasting time "lifting weights" and "sparring".

hunh?

I'm talking about the pre-fight ritual that Thai boxers do before they, you know, actually fight. Paul Pot was mocking it, which I thought was pretty stupid. Not sure what you're going on about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Novum posted:

Short version, everyone has their little superstitions and social quirks, and I have no idea the point you're trying to make.

My initial point is that the muay thai "two-step" isn't a superstition or a social quirk, it's a gesture of respect. Paul Pot had described it as some sort of homage to "pygmy gods" or somesuch, which is pretty ignorant and somewhat disrespectful of the ritual.

My secondary point is that I wish other competitive martial arts also placed a premium on respect for the sport, for one's opponents, etc.

I don't really get the backlash here - you show respect in thai boxing in a way that is more serious than boxing or MMA, and I think thai boxing, as a sport, is better for it.

• Locked thread