Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I am looking into soon starting Jiu-Jitsu, and I was wondering what is the difference between "Japanese" and "Brazilian". From what I can gather on a quick google search is "JJJ, is more formal and doesn't focus on the ground game" and "BJJ, focuses on the ground game and has more sparring involved". So is this the case?

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

quote:

At a JJJ school you might be learning some bizarre mcdojo bullshit or you might be learning something completely awesome, hard to say.

Is there anything I should be looking for specifically? My only frame of reference for Martial Arts is classical fencing, and I don't think much of it would apply, if it makes it easier the school claims to teach Shinto Yoshin-Kai Jujitsu

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 14, 2011

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

molotoveverything posted:

Anyways as far as negotiation, they seem pretty firm. They were only willing a "special price" of 118 a month that they tout in brochures around town if you sign up for the full 12 months.. Mind you I don't consider myself much of a negotiator so I'm not sure what to tell them.

You have to be willing to say screw it and go find another gym. Explain "You aren't the only game in town", except nicer and more diplomatic, maybe even quote another gym's prices for just what you wanted. Prices are always negotiable, when there is a contract for a service, you don't need, that there are alternatives for.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Well I'm finally taking the plunge. Did some research and decided on taking a look at the Francis Fong Academy in Atlanta tommorow. They got a bunch of different stuff, including :siren:Jeet Kun Do:siren:, am mostly interested in the FMA and Submission Wrestling though. So we'll see how this goes.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Welp got done with a free lesson in Wing Chun and Kali, and signed up with The Francis Fong academy. First class will be on Saturday. Coming from a college fencing background I am super excited to get back into man hitty sports.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Bangkero posted:

You'll enjoy kali with a fencing background. I've sparred against provincial fencers - super fun with their nimble foot work, timing, and good defense, but I noticed they tended to move linearly and had trouble sparring against a circling opponents so be aware of that.

Yea, I had weird balance problems during Wing Chun and Kali, in that if anything required a kick or circling I would reset to my default fencing stance and when I'd need to set another kick or circle I would go off balance. v:shobon:v just something to work on, the kali stick feels like I've always used one though, it's just my legs that are stupid.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Did first CSW practice today, holy crap it was some of the funnest stuff I've done in awhile. My only regret is both of the tops of my feet are missing skin from rubbing on the mat.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Got to do some Wing Chun this week before CSW, and holy crap trapping exercises are fun once you get in the zone and go from very slow fumbling to super fast. I'll be the world slap box champion in no time.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

So I'm taking CSW and JKD concepts and am on class 14 for both of them. I'm just rather confused as to how I'm supposed to use the ton of things I've learned in both in a sparring match. The CSW also has a savate component tacked to it @.@ it just feels like the tool box that I'm getting is gonna be really really big and I won't know how to proceed in trying to spar someone.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

This is why you don't try to learn martial arts from DVD's. You need a coach and an actual club.

Yes I belong to a school and go to classes. Now expand on this.

mewse posted:

My first sparring session consisted of me flailing my arms at my coach and him hitting me in the head until my headgear slid down and covered my eyes

I figure this is how it'll go for awhile.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Well then why the hell are you asking in internet forum about sparring instead of your coach?
I fully intend on asking the instructor next time I go to class
I just want a view from goons in the NEW A/T Martial Arts Thread. There is a wealth of information/experience in this thread and hell I had nothing better to do then post a question I was mulling over over breakfast.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Ligur posted:

Combat Submission Wrestling with a savate component?! That's is both cool AND pretty WTF, since I've trained in some version of savate, both boxe française and Savate Défense, since 2005. Along with everything else. It has lots of useful stuff too, like any school of kickboxing. For example the chasse lateral kick which both Jon Jones and Carlos Condit have used in recent years (not that it exists only in Savate but it's one of the basic techniques of the sport and I can't think of another style that gives it that much emphasis). A similar low kick with your toes pointing up at an 45 degree angle, the chasse frontal, is awesome for close up fighting or self defense, it really stops anyone or anything coming at you.

So. Can you elaborate on these @.@ savate components?

It's actually STX[Savate-Thai cross training, made by Erick Paulson apparently]. So far from that I've learned some punching and elbow combinations, some low and mid kicks, and the Thai Clinch, but mostly it seems we do ground work, and getting the opponent to the ground[sweeps, throws, etc] in CSW, with the STX component being secondary.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 30, 2014

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Ultragonk posted:

A question about protection. In Europe fencing protection generally revolves around mask, gloves, shin pads and a jacket. I'd like to fence without a jacket has anyone done this?

I was in a fencing club in college, in GA, in the summer*, we used the all purpose building[read basketball court], and it was under renovation so it had no AC, beyond an open door. So every once in a while we'd just go with just masks, gloves, and cup/chest protector. Suffice to say it sucked pretty hard to get slapped with a foil or epee on bare skin. I wouldn't do it by choice.

*Not hard for the ambient temperature to hit 38 celcius or so.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 21, 2014

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Ultragonk posted:

So do you feel you could get smacked with a steel longsword and be OK? Because I want to start sparring with less and less armour.

Assuming you're using a dull 3ib or so longsword, If you're going full speed, I suspect you'd get killed, injured, or maimed in anything less than full plate of some sort, you'd probably not cut anything, but you'd probably break some bones or damage your internal organs if you get caught under the ribs. I am not an expert though, so your results may very, I know the SCA guys get away with using 1ib ratan on flesh, but they require at the very least joint, head, throat, and kidney protection, and even they still get their collar bones broken every once and awhile.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Any recommendations on a Gym Bag?

I need to carry on a given day, Shin Guards, Thai Pads, Focus Mits, Bag Gloves, Fingerless Gloves, and Street Clothes. My current Gym bags pretty just one large compartment, and its sorta annoying to have to dig through it for what I need unless I spend a few minutes organizing it.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I currently do No-Gi grappling[CSW] and am going to be doing BJJ soon, what are some of the big differences? Can/Do I use pretty much the same tool set?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

ElMaligno posted:

I went to the "advanced" I.E not labeled beginners no-gi BJJ class today. 30 minutes of warm-ups and going through one technique and then 3 10 minute grappling sessions. Grappeled with a guy that was as heavy or a bit heavier than me, almost passed out twice, was literally out of strength on the last 5 minutes and felt like I needed to puke.

God I love BJJ.

On certain days my CSW class has a Striking Portion and a Grappling portion combined into the class. Nothing gets the "oh poo poo why am I so out of shape" thoughts flowing then doing kick boxing pyramids followed directly by about five minutes of rolling.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Jerome Louis posted:

Dumb kids in my muay thai class making fun of my barking and grunts and growling when kicking and kneeing. gently caress that poo poo I will do it forever since that's what we did in Thailand and it's fun, I don't care if I look stupid

All the muay Thai classes I've seen at least say "tang" during leg strikes. Its weird for people to be quiet in that class.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mannetosen posted:

I sometimes shout "pow!" like I'm in a Batman cartoon.

This is genius. Going to start doing batman emotes during class.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Is there a good guide to how to get the most out of rolling for total beginners?[no gi]. When I ask the instructor he says "just have fun with it", and I do have fun with it, even though the guys I roll with are much more experienced than I am[blue and purple] and just continually shut me down, and even then I think they are "playing down" their skill level a lot, regardless of if I try to play total defense or if I try to be aggressive. Is there some sort of thing I should be doing or is this more of a learning by getting your rear end kicked so you know not do it.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Weird question. What's your go-to submission on a really fat guy?

I was spinning all over this guy like a whirlwind but I was unable to properly hold any control positions because he was so round. I was trying back control but I couldn't sink a choke in because he didn't have a neck.

Tried a North/South choke?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

BrainDance posted:

I just took my test for my black belt in 특공무술 and totally nailed it cuz I'm so awesome.

Pretty pumped about that right now.

Congrats guy, what is this though, Korean martial arts?

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 27, 2014

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

DekeThornton posted:

"how the gently caress do I get this guy off my back/chest".

If you put your knee on his belly its not an issue. :smugbert:

edit: How useful is it for newbies to attend seminars with good fightermans? I have the opportunity to go to an Erik Paulson[CSW] and Dan Inosanto[Kali] seminar within a few months, and just wondering if I would end up getting anything out of it except a workout.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 28, 2014

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

niethan posted:

Guys who smokes more weed, Bjj or Capoeira practitioners? Tia

Obviously sexy dance fighters would smoke more.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

A Keg posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RmnkBEDuGY

How typical is training like this in the martial arts scene? Is there any hope that it'd be worth my money to go here?

So besides the shady business practices, did anything he show in that video[besides having the music over ride most everything he said] ping wrong? I'm new, but it seems right. [Single leg take down, mount Sweep , knee bar?]

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 3, 2014

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

A Keg posted:

Well he does William Regal's finishing move 3 seconds into the video, so there's that.

I said ping wrong, not ping awesome :colbert:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Greg Jackson posted:

The worst punches I've ever seen were when paparazzi "caught" paris hilton being trained by gabe ruediger of TUF fame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaCBBjT2xAY

I'm not an expert, but goddamn those are bad.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 4, 2014

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Wash everything after every use, shower immediately after training preferably with an antibacterial AND antifungal soap (tea tree oil soap is great), and cover up with long-sleeved rashguards, spandex leggings, and shoes whenever you can. It's pretty difficult to get a skin infection if you follow these guidelines and your gym is good about cleaning the mats.

There are shoes for grapply man sports? I've seen weird spandexy socky things, but not shoes.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Today went great in CSW, in rolling I actually got to go on the offensive, wasn't able to do anything with it, but was able to maintain side control a majority of the time. So improvement v:shobon:v

edit: knee on belly really is the answer to a lot of questions.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

Anyway, since this is an A/T thread, please tell me about the awful commutes people go through to get to their gyms in order to make me feel dumb for being whiny about my sub-20 minute bike ride (or 20-30 minute bus ride). Also tell me about the crazy prices people pay in larger cities to make me feel dumb for thinking the gym I go to is "too expensive". These are the rational reasons I usually latch on to in order to make excuses to not go.

190$ a month. 20 min commute on the weekend by car. 1 hour commute on the weekday. I do the hour commute three times a week.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Verisimilidude posted:

If anyone has any questions about HEMA, you're more than welcome to ask and I will answer it to the best of my ability.

Whats the difference between HEMA, Battle of Nations, and Empire of Medieval Pursuits if you know?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

How useful/common/detrimental are hand toughening exercises these days? I assume before the advent of gloves making sure you didn't break your hand on someones face would be a thing to be doing.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 19, 2014

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

A Keg posted:

Belts with no gi looks so odd.

Brings up something Ive been thinking about while rolling in no-gi is it bad form to grab your own/others GI pants if they're wearing them also in this case the belt they've decided to wear? I sort of feel as if it's against the spirit of it.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I do Wing Chun consistently, and from what I can tell so far most of it is extremely impractical* from a self defense stand point or for sport fighting purpose, but it made me think more about body mechanics and power generation[The "Chun" punch can generate a fair bit of power without a lot of loading] and weird hand fighting techniques for the purposes of CSW. Chun tends to get a lot of bad rap because a lot of exclusively Wing Chun dudes, or at least a sizable amount of them that I've met, are "nerds" that believe Chun is possibly the greatest self defense ever. It's kinda weird because the Sifu[Head of the School] pretty much requires you to cross train a tiny bit of Muay Thai and either CSW or BJJ to progress beyond the first two or three ranks.

I find that pretty much Judo, San Da, Muay Thai, boxing, some schools of Karate, and Kali/Silat/w.e are pretty much the only "practical" from either a sport or self defence stance from some research.

* I have only been doing Chun for five or so months in total, and there may very well be people who are exclusively Chun Artists who can kick a ton of rear end.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 24, 2014

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

A Keg posted:

Wing Chun sparring vids I found on youtube look like this to me: :sissies:

:colbert: I will be the goddamn pattycake champion.

If you're bored and want more reading into it on you tube China Boxer and 138mws[Master Wong] are from what I've seen closest on youtube to being legit for "practical" Wing Chun. v:shobon:v

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 24, 2014

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

It isn't to say wing chun doesn't have use, I just classify it more like a performance art though with a grounding in good theories on body mechanics, and even if it is good against untrained bros the problem is wing chun doesn't really spar more heavily than chi sao and the foot version I can't remember the name of... So you may as well fight like an untrained monkey, because trying to tan or lop an incoming fist may end up with you eating another fist or a basic take down everyone knows, and you can't defend if you do chun only because chun really doesn't teach ground or take down defense.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Sep 25, 2014

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Tawd posted:

Does anyone have any hard facts on actual real-world fights or assaults and the forms that they take? I'd be really curious to see any information on that sort of thing.

I believe the only facts you can get about street fighting involves numbers of "victimization's", but beyond that it's all probably anecdotal at best.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Let this be a lesson about correct posturing while in someones guard, I do like that there is an optional neck snap in that sweep if you want it.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I don't understand why crossfit has its own self defense. Can't you hate yourself enough doing Muay Thai conditioning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Thoguh posted:

If I was going to fight somebody and they started kipping I'd probably run away.

obligatory Keenan Cornelius
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBK23Vjv4mM

• Locked thread