Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I'm done hitting people. I want to try a grapple sport and I'm pretty sure I'm going to opt for some Judo. What advice do sage internet senseis have regarding choosing a grapple sport (or this one compared to others specifically) as well as what I should expect as far as the physical tolls and issues that grapplers will perhaps universally experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

entris posted:

what, with a pressure point?

Smoke bomb to the eyes I bet.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
You jerks are just asking to be hit with a Dim-Mak. The only way to defend against pressure points is a psychic knock-out.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Stick around for the humorous stories that will result.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Zombywuf posted:

playing tag with swords.

That's literally the sport of fencing. Linear tag with swords. That's why it's a sport.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Dude, baazilian jiu jitsu doesn't work.

Got to go train krav maga instead.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I feel like people are getting so caught up in the 'combat' part of the combat sports. The rules are what makes it a sport, and Judo in particular is very clear about what the rules are. Sure there are a lot of them, but these people aren't trying to necessarily submit each other or knock each other out or something. They are scoring points, and there are certain ways to do that, wasting your 5 second ground game window struggling to sink an RNC on a guy who has both his arms protecting his neck is not a smart way to play the game.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Moniker posted:

He had to stop mid-roll just to stress the fact that he didn't let me do it and that I felt it and acted on my instincts and it worked! Really awesome.

Sounds like a super supportive training environment. Keep at it man, and train hard.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Ah yes, there it is. I was wondering how long it would take for the martial arts thread to devolve into internet tough guy shenanigans. Long story short, at the end of the day anyone who goes out picking a fight is a moron or a psychopath. Let's talk next about how badass a rugby player is when compared to a high school wrestler. :rolleyes:

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Kumo Jr. posted:

"I am a shark, the ground is my ocean and most people can't even swim"

That is so loving metal :black101:

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Keep that tat out of the gym until it's healed bro. The chance of infection puts you and all your training partners at risk. I'd say just keep your training at home and go lightly so you don't agitate anything. Just my opinion on the subject.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Pre-fight rituals are one of those things, depending on where you are and what you're competing in you'll be generally expected to bow or do the muay thai two-step. It sounds though like you're talking about MMA in particular (maybe boxing) where those social impositions don't actually apply since there is no expectation for you to bow to your sensei or the judges. In such a circumstance it seems like it'd be weird to do those things at all. In MMA and boxing (to a lesser extent due to the style and training variations being pretty limited in comparison) you enter the ring to compete, and whatever pre-fight ritual you decide makes you feel better about the fight, you just sort of do. Plenty of MMA cats will bow upon entering the ring and whatnot, then 90% of all fights will start with an in match glove touch, which I would say counts as some sort of respect tradition, even though it's not mandated.

Short version, everyone has their little superstitions and social quirks, and I have no idea the point you're trying to make.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Pagan posted:

Let's say you had some friends, and a space, and wanted to learn BJJ. No instructor, just some willing people and some time. How would you start? Signing up for a class isn't an option right now.

Awesome health insurance.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
The one real capoeria guy I met was a super nice guy and could do some really neat acrobatics but couldn't fight his way out of a paper bag. He was really humble about it too though, so it was easy to get along with him. It's hard for me to imagine capoeria players who are dicks about it, but apparently they exist.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

BadgerKingX posted:

Because my job requires me to use my hands a lot and i was afraid of doing damage to them with Boxing. Another reason is because where i live there isn't a boxing gym that has a price in the range i'm able to afford. Kempo was close enough that it caught my interest.

Tai Chi. Even old ladies can do it because it's so low impact, but it's still a decent workout and good for your body. Or telekinetic aikido. If neither of those are an option then do as you will, but kempo will still have kicks and some basic grappling iirc. Kempo is also a "hard" style and tends to be pretty high impact if the place is legit.

Also 178 lbs? Psh. Fatass. (not fat at all unless you're pixie sized)

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

TollTheHounds posted:

Strike Chat:

I'm not a very good teacher, I'll admit, but I'm a pretty experienced striker so take my advice as you will.

1. I've never understood the tunnel vision thing in this context. It's really easy to watch your opponents entire body with your peripheral vision. Mostly what you need to be aware of is hip movement and body movement. If you can watch for all the tell tale signs you can react with plenty of time to spare to both kicks and punches. Also, don't do that stupid 'look where your attention actually is' stuff. That's obviously a dead give-away, maybe that's why when you're looking for kicks you get punched and vice versa.

2. Use your range if you've got it. You might want to get in close and do your thing, maybe you're even awesome in the clinch, but you have to consider that you're taking an advantage away from yourself by doing so. Fight on the outside to minimize chances to get hit or countered and when they inevitably make a bold attempt to get inside your range (because that's where they can do damage to you) as they move in, you move in too and close the gap so you're in clinch range. Tie them up, finish them off, do whatever you do, and be good at disengaging if it's not going your way. Always remember to cover your exit with a jab to keep them at distance. In general try to keep that distance advantage.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Guilty posted:

He shouldn't be learning to fight like a distance fighter unless he is 70kg or does have abnormally long limbs

This is bad advice considering he's already stated that he does in fact have a reach advantage over most of his gym. Why would you not try to learn how to use that? Learn to use the tools so you can use them when you need to.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Guilty posted:

Doesn't matter much how big the other fighters are at YOUR gym. What matters is how big the other fighters are at the OTHER gym. Guaranteed every gym has a 190/85kg guy, and that guy's gonna be your opponent

Eh, I'm not certain he ever specified that he was trying to run around competing. Just training right now, so there's no reason not to practice using your range, if only to diversify his training program. No diagrams needed buddy.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Guilty posted:

I focus on the eyes to see how I'm doing throughout the match.

Same, my first trainer insisted on this and it never left my brain. It also helps because as the fight drags on often your opponent will get tired and lazier and end up giving themselves away with their eyes. If that makes sense. You can keep a good eye on their body movement at eye level without a problem. I can probably understand the shoulder/chest thing though too.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

attackmole posted:

I've been taught to focus on the upper body mainly cause it's good for reads, and when people fake it's usually just with the limbs, not with the body. I think the idea is just not to get mesmerized by someone waving their hands around.

Oh drat, does anyone have a gif of Machida doing this to Bader? Not the best place to ask maybe.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I love posts like this. I sometimes worry that by being fiercely anti wing chun all the time we can make people defensive

Not that I have any strong opinions for or against it, but why so anti-wing chun exactly?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

SBJ posted:

This thread is huge so I apologize if this has already been asked, but does any goon living in Sydney do krav maga? There is only like one place that teaches it (although they have 3 branches) and I want to know if they are any good or not. I haven't been able to find a review other than "testimonials".

Either way Im going to the induction so I can just go by the writeup in the OP. But it would be great to find a review by a goon.

I'd be wary of any given krav maga place at the onset. The majority of them tend to have some sort of scam attached to them.

e: VV what he said VV

Novum fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 20, 2012

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Bohemian Nights posted:

Since everyone's taken care of the medical stuff; Congratulations for picking up a silver medal!

Indeed, it's been a long time since I've competed but I still remember how it all goes down. Way to go dude.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
The gimp suit was epic. It bears repeating. Continue to wear it and become a local hero.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Israfel posted:

Well I can tell you as far as striking goes I was originally considering Kyokushin Karate but goons in irc convinced me to do Muay Thai instead and I can honestly say looking back it makes me cringe at the idea of not being able to use my knees or elbows or clinch in a striking art. I'm not going to say I outright look down on Kyokushin since it's definitely a legit thing but after going through a Kyokushin class, barely breaking a sweat and then going to my MT gym and barely being able to stand and almost puking twice during the 1 hour free lesson, if you are looking to get into shape then do Judo or Muay Thai. It's also going to be a lot more useful in a self-defense situation than karate would be.

Depending on your goals, the art itself doesn't matter as much as how they train. Typically, Muay Thai gyms train really hard, so you'll get a good workout, but some more traditional arts train just as hard. Definitely try to sit in on a class or two if you can and test places out. For all you know the Kyokushin place will run you just as ragged as anything else. If, of course, general fitness is your goal. As far as self defense goes, I wouldn't even bother with a striking art. I say that as a long time practitioner of Muay Thai.

In short, you should be sitting in on a free session at all your prospective gyms/schools before determining anything. If fitness is your goal, don't bitch out and go with the one that makes you puke.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Seabreeze posted:

Oh for sure. I've actually seen that first video not so long ago. I agree with it, actually.

Still, in the unlikely event that someone is trying to kill me with a knife and I can't run away, I may as well give it a shot.

This is such a dangerous mindset to be in. I've seen it backfire on some really otherwise smart and good people.

In related news, if you want to use FMA and know it's legit and will help you in a real world situation, go learn it in the Philippines. If you can say it's not effective for a real world scenario then you're doing it wrong. The Philippines have a long and recent history of civil unrest and violence in their daily lives and that mentality seeps into their art. As for practical weapon systems, FMA is the first and last word in knife combat imo. It's very serious.

At the end of the day though, your best practical day to day way to survive is to not be in dangerous situations. Not to say that I don't totally see where someone is coming from when they say 'I do such and such, just in case' but it's not a good idea to let the idea rest in your head that it might be okay to knife fight somebody. At this point in time, in my part of the world at least, you can effectively avoid all danger with just a small small amount of awareness and the willingness to disengage. So don't get stabbed please.

Novum fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 23, 2012

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Glove slap across the face is how we start our fights. I challenge you to a randori.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Pro-wrestling IS the strongest style.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Gimp suit needs tacky patterns or stencils all over it imo

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Israfel posted:

Goons got the gimpsuit fever man there's no turning back now.

There has to be one that looks like Bruce Lee from Game of Death. This would make everything in the world complete.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
That's the thing about gimp suits, they cut down on wind resistance and will literally make your punches easier to do, therefore stronger in effect.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Someone who knows better than me have any suggestions on a great place to train in the Boston area?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

kimbo305 posted:

I reviewed Redline for you in the Boston thread. You check it out? Saw in your history you want out of striking. I guess the BJJ is more limited than a pure BJJ place. The place that was Gracie-affiliated deaffiliated but is presumably still a good place.

I did check it out, thanks for that by the way. It's probably in the cards when my training gets more serious and consequently more diverse to be honest. I'll do some digging into Wai Kru and probably the Jimmy Pedro place even though I'm on bicycle transit these days. Just needed a few leads without sifting through tons of chaff online. Much obliged.

E: Hot drat, Jimmy Pedro runs a free month for an introductory program. Guess who's gonna take the bus into Wakefield.

Novum fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 15, 2012

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I find the management aspect comes into play when I force myself to slow down and focus rationally on some technical aspect of my game. Tends to separate you from the negative mental state pretty well when you get preoccupied with something positive instead. Using a punching bag as an effigy of your boss or something and trying to beat the tar out of it does not help manage anything, only reinforce it. It's all about what you get out of it and how you get it. If the dude's sanity isn't a massive train wreck then it's totally possible to get that result from combat training. Or maybe I'm giving too much credit? I don't know.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Just sat in on a local judo class and I was really bummed out. They seemed like pretty nice guys and all but I'm used to and expect really taxing training. If you're going to train exclusively in competition judo I feel like you should be a competitive school. I'm holding out hope for the other schools I'm looking into but in the back of my head I'm worried I won't be able to find what I'm after. Am I being unreasonable?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Is there a real difference between a Judo gi and a BJJ gi? Should I be looking for one over the other if I want one for both? Also, blue ones are cool, but are they universally tourney legal? And where should I buy them? I heard good things about Padilla and Sons. It's been so drat long since I've been expected to train in pajamas.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

KingColliwog posted:

A BJJ gi won't be legal for judo competition and a Judo gi won't be as good for BJJ as a bjj gi since they are less fitted.

If you want to do Judo comps, get a white (judo) gi. You can usually wear a white gi with a special blue belt at comps but for some reason you can't wear a blue gi with a white sesh.

Thanks, this was important info. Will have to dig a little deeper for Judo specific pjs I think.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Pickman posted:

Okay, I'll forget about it for now then.

I have another question. How many days a week do people here train? My local MMA gym runs classes twice a week, but if I can get away with just showing up to one class a week that would save me a lot of time. I'm already fitting lifting two days a week and running one day into my weekly schedule.

Before I moved to a new city I was training probably 5 to 6 days a week like it was my job. It's easier not to get burnt out when you're bouncing around between two or three different disciplines. But if you don't care about getting into a competitive arena (i.e. you have other actually important poo poo to do) then it's really not a big deal to train once or twice a week as a happy hobbyist. You'll still learn and have lots of fun.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Awww, someone's got a chip on their shoulder. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I'm actually a bit anxious about going into work with the inevitable visible fight markings. Oh well, that's how it goes.

• Locked thread