Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Syphilis Fish posted:

Generally, if you're a racist/sexist/whatever you don't really get martial arts by disrespecting/underestimating a whole segment of potential opponents. Anyone with a belief like that is faulty in their spirit and will never achieve sword saint hood.

This is why Nick Diaz will never achieve true greatness. Also because he gets confused when his opponents move laterally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
I'm curious how long it takes people at typical GB schools to get the stripes they need to start rolling, because at mine we are allowed to roll from day one and it generally takes over 6 months for a guy who trains consistently to get a couple stripes, which I've been told is what you need to start rolling at most GB gyms. I don't know if I'd stick with it if I could only drill their fixed fundamentals curriculum for 6 months before actually being allowed to play.

Keg fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 29, 2014

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

ICHIBAHN posted:

Tbh I don't even actually know. I don't know how you attain stripes either.

My prof gives them as he sees us improve over time, but it's not formal or standardized at all. It's an arbitrary way to say "hey you're improving, good job", but it's not really important, and there are schools that don't do it at all.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

1st AD posted:

I'd like GB a lot more if their classes didn't spend so much time on self-defense techniques that I personally don't think would work.

It'd also be cool if they let beginners have a bit more freedom while drilling specific positions/techniques, but I imagine they work with lots of people who've never seen BJJ before and it's probably better overall to have controlled sparring until someone demonstrates they know how to avoid injuring themselves or others.

Over the holidays, I'm going to be attending one of GB schools with the notorious rules about rolling and uniforms (I was told they'd let me slide since I'm travelling and to say that I forgot to pack my GB gi if asked about it during class), and it'll be interesting to see what the fixed GB fundamentals curriculum is like

Keg fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 29, 2014

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

n3rdal3rt posted:

So I just watched some "Aikido" tournament videos on youtube :sissies:. I now understand why everyone thinks it's bullshit. If what I saw there was my only experience with Aikido I would never step foot in a class.

Please don't think this is what Aikido really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbatbtaR3xA

Aikido tournaments aren't why people think aikido is bullshit, though.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Nierbo posted:

He didn't mention. His fb message said: "I have a blue belt under Jeff Wiley who is a second dan black belt in bjj"

You could call Jeff Wiley and ask. http://www.wileyjiujitsu.com/

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
There's a dude at my gym who I found out from a mutual friend is a big closet case who likes to be choked during sex.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

The Fool posted:

I occasionally evangelize my gym at work. Any time I bring it up around a specific co-worker he launches into this big speech about how he learned to fight on the street (he's white middle class) and that he wouldn't be able to control himself (probably true) and would put anyone he was partnered with in the hospital. (probably not) He's normally a pretty chill guy too, but some people just have a ridiculous ideas about their fighting abilities.

Whilst in the streets, it's all about how crazy you can become.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Xguard86 posted:

I have to admit one time a long time ago I was kinda drunk, kinda tired and my friend , who always made this argument, brought this point up for nth time.

I explained to him that, in a situation in which we both went crazy, I would hold him on the ground and chew his face off like an ape, and there was probably nothing he could really do to stop me. Maybe its coincidence but since then he's never mentioned that line of reasoning.

This is relevant, and also good, because Bas Rutten is also good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeA__6aVkK0&t=147s

Keg fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 8, 2015

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Novum posted:

I would like to know which of the kung fu animal styles is most deadly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0gDsL247e8

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Decades posted:

Quick heads up that Rogan's recent podcast with Andrew Hill (a somewhat kooky neuroscientist) contains a pretty fun but easily missed dismantling of aikido from about 2:30 to 2:42. The guy mentions it a few times throughout the podcast and Joe starts polite, but at the 2:30 Hill starts to poo poo on Seagal and Joe trolls him a bit then puts him through the wringer, and 12 minutes later his basic understanding of human conflict is quietly shattered (at precisely the point Joe says he's not trying to shatter beliefs or anything.)

This is pretty great, haha. Starts at 2:38 on the iTunes stream with ads.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

ManOfTheYear posted:

There are these three old clips about two dudes playing with aikido techniques

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QreuuPm24UI

I'm the guy wearing boxing gloves trying not to hit the guy turning his back to me

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
My roommate and I wanna drill BJJ poo poo in our garage and need some cheapish mats. Are puzzle mats from Wal-Mart going to be thick enough for rolling? Doubtful we'll do much, if any, takedown stuff on them.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Xguard86 posted:

Do you have a coach or school?

Yeah I have those things, but I end up just rolling during open mat time instead of getting reps in drilling stuff. I bought some puzzle mats and now my garage looks like a toddler's room.

Keg fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 3, 2015

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
What martial arts have a teal belt? There was a guy at my gym on Monday wearing one, so I assume he was just wearing the gi & belt from whatever he normally trains in.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Slaapaav posted:

could be a worn blue or green belt?

It was definitely bright teal; not faded looking at all.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
http://www.jiujitsutimes.com/video-fake-black-belt-outed-and-was-asked-to-remove-the-belt/

I'm fascinated by people who fake ranks, especially in something like BJJ where they get exposed so easily. I guess the guy scolding him in the video (Ruben Alvarez) was posting on his facebook before confronting him saying that he couldn't even do basic movements properly.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Is the drama and humiliation really necessary?. "I'm just happy I kept my composure".

I dunno, I'm just a white belt and will continue to be awful at BJJ for at least the next 4 years if I'm following the path of an average student who trains regularly. I don't know how an upper belt would/should react to a guy posing as a black belt.

But since every belt in BJJ takes a lot of time and commitment, people seem pretty protective of them. Getting the guy's face/name out there as a poser could prevent him from trying to teach people who don't know better, which I think is more beneficial than being protective of the guy's feelings.

Basically, it's to try to stop this sort of thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA5eqfmMKZ0

Keg fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 26, 2015

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Jap doesn't have to be a mean word to call Japanese people, it can also be a mean word to call Jewish girls.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
It's weird calling goons sane, but I'm glad that people in this thread are sane about martial arts after I wandered into r/martialarts on reddit today.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Xguard86 posted:

The sport or art specific martial art sub Reddits are ok. But yeah it's easy to forgot how dumb so many people are about these things.

quote:

Do you think the BJJ practitioner would have a fighting chance against a Kung fu or FMA practitioner armed with a weapon of their choosing ( Staff, whip, knife, kali stick, etc. )
Why or why not? Also which MA weapons training do you think is more applicable to a real fight scenario?
This has been a question burning in me with all the hype of BJJ being the end all be all for self defense.
Serious replies only please.

I will never forget.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

ElMaligno posted:

mike is my spirit animal (i also train with him)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTfPxeib9bk

Two pals, hugging eachother unconscious for fun on the playmat in a kid's bedroom.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
I loving love McDojos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaOATKwWU-c

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
My neck injury story is two fresh white belts were rolling during open mat at my gym a couple of weeks ago, they stood up at one point and one guy tried a flying guillotine and the other guy had to get emergency spinal surgery shortly after. I guess the guy who broke the guy's neck was visiting from another gym or from out of town or something.

Keg fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 18, 2015

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

ManOfTheYear posted:

How much your bjj club does practice throws/takedowns? I realized I've been a bit prejudiced towards jiu jitsu, I thought a lot of clubs really don't practice that stuff, but after visiting my local club I realized a lot of them can wrestle pretty good. That was a very nice surprise.

Our fundamentals classes usually has one day a week of takedown stuff and occasional weeks dedicated to takedowns.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

KildarX posted:

I don't understand the gripping against points in grappling. Do people REALLY want grappling tournaments to go on far longer than they already do? I mean even at the five minute match format the individual divisions in the tournament feel like its an all day affair. The Metamoris format is really only cool for the really cool superstar matches. I have seen more shenanigans coming from the banning of certain submissions rather than a guy just holding position after he's up on points, but I've only been to two tournaments so.. they maybe a bigger problem than I know v:shobon:v

They want people to stall in guard instead of stall after passing guard.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

the JJ posted:

Okay, but it often looks to me as though BJJ guys place themselves in situations that -while great for their ruleset- are often really lovely for self-defense. Now that's fine for a sport but since we're talking about self-defense (and the merits of (realish?) 'sport' vs. 'disciplines') is it not true that some trained reactions* of BJJ seem less good than, say, judo or MT? Like it doesn't have set goals or outcomes but many outcomes often do look like two people wrapped up and that's not where I'd want to be if I'm trying to extricate myself from a situation as opposed to scoring points.

*And, the argument has been made, the repeated drill of techniques against resisting opponents is what separates 'good' self defense from 'bullshido' self-defense

The complicated/tangled looking positions that you see are for the purposes of BJJ vs BJJ in the BJJ ruleset. Nobody thinks that trying to play inverted spider guard when somebody wants to punch you in the face is a good idea.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Relevant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd_oBd5DENk&t=354s

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
What is it about aikido that does this to people?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06olLYiMvM4&t=8987s

Keg fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 30, 2015

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

ulmont posted:

I suspect it depends a lot on the dojang; isn't hapkido basically jujitsu with taekwondo kicks?

That sounds retarded.

Anyway,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMCwtyDjbd0

Keg fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 1, 2015

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

origami posted:

I think it should be noted that the villain/osiris guy is jordan tabor who has been caught up in a kerfuffle regarding the legitimacy of his belt. I know he recently lost his position of bjj coach at a local gym - not sure if it was related or if it was just bjj politics.

I only know the story from bits and pieces I've seen online, but it sounds like Jordan Tabor is mentally ill and a lot of people have said they've paid substantially less to register their belt with the IBJJF than what he says he was being 'extorted' for.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
This has been making the rounds:

quote:

Houston Cottrell is a certified Gracie Jiu-jitsu Blue Belt under the Gracie Academy in Torrance, CA. Having completed an extensive instructor certification program in July 2014 he became the youngest certified Gracie Jiu-jitsu Instructor. Houston is passionate about teaching and this certification means that Houston will be teaching the exact same techniques that are taught at the Gracie Academy in Torrance using the same teaching methodologies and guidelines that Grandmaster Helio Gracie outlined. He is excited to bring the “Gentle Art” as well as the Gracie philosophies to Mississippi.
Houston has taught both adult and children’s classes in various martial arts since he was nine years old and also holds a black belt in Shaolin Kempo Karate.

17 year old kid with a blue belt is the head instructor at a Gracie Academy affiliate gym, which would make sense if it was 1995 and if there wasn't already a gym with legit black belts 30 minutes down the road from this place. Since the internet got upset about it, as the internet is known to do, Rener and Ryron released this statement:

Rorion's Idiot Shithead Kids posted:

In 1929, the director of the Bank of Brazil, Mario Brandt, arrived for a private class at the original Gracie Academy in Rio de Janeiro, as scheduled. The instructor, Carlos Gracie, was running late and was not present. Helio, who up until that point only learned by watching his brothers, offered to begin the class with the man. When the tardy Carlos arrived offering his apologies, the student assured him it was no problem, and actually requested that he be allowed to continue learning with Helio Gracie instead. Carlos agreed to this and Helio Gracie became an instructor at 16 years of age. The rest is history.

At 16 years old, Houston Cottrell became the youngest person to ever complete the Gracie Academy Instructor Certification Program. At 17 years old, he turned an empty warehouse into a state-of-the-art Level 1 Certified Training Center and began working full time to teach Gracie Bullyproof and Gracie Combatives to a growing group of dedicated students in Madison, MS.

When you meet Houston, you realize that maturity has no age requirement, and when you see him teach, you realize that precise passionate instruction has no belt requirement.

Keep up the good work champ! We’re proud to have you as part of the family and Madison is lucky to have you leading the way!

lol.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

ICHIBAHN posted:

What's the big deal?

The kid probably asked his parents to buy him a gym, and they did, and it's funny. Then they paid the Gracies some money and the Gracies in turn said "Yes, this is something we want to put our name on and associate ourselves with", and it's funny. Now, instead of training under black belts and Reilly Bodycomb at a Royce Gracie affiliate, he is the owner and head instructor of a gym as a blue belt, which is funny. And he charges people $130/month in northern Mississippi to train under him, and I find that funny too.

Keg fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 8, 2015

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

manyak posted:

Yeah its embarrassing, but the gracies are salespeople above all else so this is right up their alley

Yeah I'm not outraged or anything. I've seen cries of 'creonte' from people with thick Brazilian accents, but I find the situation more amusing than anything.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Rabhadh posted:

how many years until everyone is lamenting old bjj

People started doing berimbolos in the mid 90s, so like twenty years ago.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Xguard86 posted:

That karate dojo might be fine but why do people think they can't get this from a MMA striking or BJJ gym? Not picking on Cephas, a lot of people say something like this and its weird to me. I guess its marketing, with competition gyms seeming more chaotic?

In reality if you're training at a place where people make their livelihood, its going to have more focus and structure than most hobby spots. Even if you aren't training in the pro class, the coaches and the atmosphere is going to be there.

My guess is: The biggest exposure people have to MMA is seeing UFC, and people are more inclined to associate a tatted up motherfucker they see in the UFC with brutality and general thuggery over the kind of discipline/structure they want.

Keg fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Aug 11, 2015

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Speaking of pinching, here's Draucolino addressing the Ball Grabbing guard break:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxZKZsqWdFw

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Migz posted:

I'm looking at a new bjj school. I'm currently paying 100 a month for 4 classes. New school is 7 classes I can attend for 179 with a 200 down payment and a year contract. (Free gi included) without any names the new teacher is a legend / multiple time world champ. It's a big increase in price for me but I want to take my game to the next step. ( only a blue belt here)

Question is. Is this a totally off the wall price for a big bjj name? Do schools normall negotiate?

Not entirely, depending on the demographics of the city you're located in. It is kind of off the wall to pay that much and not be allowed to attend more than 7 classes a month though.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

IT BEGINS posted:

Yeah, no. I'm not a particularly good judoka or wrestler, but my successful throws and takedowns look 85%-100% like the kata versions. Same with the moves my teachers show me. poo poo, the cleanest tai otoshi I ever hit was in sparring, not during drills.

Lol.

Didn't that guy cause some kind of to-do by teaching BJJ techniques as a purple belt while wearing his JJJ black belt a few years ago?

Keg fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Thanks, I thought the channel was familiar

• Locked thread