Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

StarkRavingMad posted:

Anyone else seeing errors with Sickbeard tonight? Mine says it can't hit NZBmatrix or Womble. Tried a restart and it didn't help. I don't think I changed anything.

Mine seems to be working fine, though I use different providers than you listed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Ragingsheep posted:

Might be a silly question but are the nzbs submitted by people or are they automatically scraped and if it's automatically scraped, how come other sites like nzb.su are missing stuff that nzbs.org has if they're built off the same source?

From what I understand, they can choose which newsgroups to include in a scrape, but then those scrapes are done automatically. NZBS.su probably doesn't include the same newsgroups as other sites (which is frustrating to me when I look for certain non-pop music or other unusual things).

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

b0bx13 posted:

Need some help troubleshooting DL speed issues. I figured it was fine before, but I've upgraded to a better connection now, so I want to take advantage. I'm with Time Warner on a pretty solid 20mbps connection. SAB only downloads at around 0.8-1.3 MB/s. This is with both Astraweb and Supernews. I've played with SSL, number of connections and ports, all with similar results. Is there anything else I can do?

A 20 Megabit connection is 2.5 Megabytes/sec, which is your theoretical maximum. There's multiple sources of overhead from things like making packets and SSL, and then the data has to travel through the routers between you and the site you're accessing. Not all of these router hops are going to allow you to maintain maximum speed. RIght now you're getting 30-50% or so of your theoretical maximum, which is pretty good.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Hitch posted:

Alright, forgive me if these questions have already been asked and answered, just would like to verify a few things.

I understand from OP that I have to have a usenet subscription. For that, I have gone with SuperNews. That is a monthly subscription that I'm assuming covers the costs of maintaining usenet itself. Am I to understand that on top of that, I may need to subscribe/pay for access to different databases -- i.e. newzbin, nzbmatrix, etc?

If not, how can I access different quality nzb's?

There's a few sites that don't require you to pay to use them, though some may have limitations on how many API hits or downloads you do in a day. I've been using nzb.su and it seems to be alright, though they did purge free accounts and go paid only for a little while, but they seem to be open for registrations again. If you're setting up sickbeard, it has its own provider available in the search list as well.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Gozinbulx posted:

What's the consensus on using a VPN in addition to SSL for usenet? Overkill? Any tangible benefit?

Overkill if you're just downloading from usenet. Subpeonas are usually issued for people doing file sharing.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I have two nzb.su invites, PM me for them. First two get it because :effort:.

e: pm my your email address, one invite is taken but one is left and will probably go soon.

My two invites are gone, enjoy!

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 22, 2013

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

MasterColin posted:

Anyone having issues with nzb.su api?

The site says http//api.nzb.su/
the image shows 'https'

I keep getting: Error loading nzb.su URL: http://api.nzb.su/api?apikey=REMOVED

Anyone else having this issue?

Maybe i just need dognzb

I've been having the same problem.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Also with XSusenet you can ignore the claim that their retention for free accounts is only like, 10 days. It's way, way longer than that.

They do seem to disable the account every month or so unless you log in to their website with it. I guess this is just so they can show you ads for their paid service (dyndns did this as well until folks just made scripts to log in every month).

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

vyst posted:

I've read the OP and a bunch of usenet indexer review sites but I'm a little overwhelmed with information but I managed to get a block, and set up sabnzbd. I'm not a huge power user, I bought a block from astraweb - is there a recommended indexer that I can search from? Everything seems to go up and down, open to close, invites to no invites. I'm willing to pay for access to one assuming it's really good. (note this isn't me schilling for an invite)

The list linked in the OP is not the most accurate for open/closed but I've had good luck with the first two indexers mentioned:
http://wiki.sabnzbd.org/nzb-sources

I believe dog is closed for invites right now but the other one has invites for most users. Between those and the sick beard index I've been pretty much set, but it's possible with effort to run your own indexer if you're unhappy with the groups indexed by the main sites.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

more falafel please posted:

So, my DogNZB premium subscription is expiring, and they want me to either send bitcoin or buy a t-shirt through a weird third party website that seems sketchy, and costs an extra $10. Is there a way to send bitcoin that doesn't involve setting up some wacky account and/or paying basically double for it?

Not really, bitcoin is terrible.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

They probably hate running the indexer and decided to deal with it in the most passive-aggressive way they could.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Sub Rosa posted:

Anyone know anything about nextgennews being down?

Anyone have any opinions on Spotnet as an alternative to NZB indexers?

I've kept spotweb running on a VM for a couple of years. It's not bad but there's a heavy Netherlands presence so a lot of your Linux ISOs may be subbed for the Netherlands. Newznab indexers seem to be a little better overall but more possible sources isn't bad.

Like a lot of sites that have closed their open registration, nzb.cat members have invites to send out but we're not doing those in the thread anymore because it ends up being very spammy.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Was it sickbeard that had its own TV rss feed? Can someone remind me what the address for that feed was, if it's still active?

http://lolo.sickbeard.com/

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

It finally happened, nzb.su is reverting old Friend accounts (from donations when they first started up) to regular accounts. These have been grandfathered into VIP accounts for years. I forget what I paid them back in the day, maybe 20 bucks or something, back in 2011. They emailed Friends asking for $25 for 4 years of VIP or you can otherwise just go into the regular VIP program (which I'd imagine costs more). I'll probably roll my own newznab some day but I've got enough projects right now so I paid for the 4 years of VIP.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

speedtek posted:

Is anyone else unable to get to nzb.su without going through a VPN first? I've only noticed this in the last couple days.

e: Using Spectrum

Works for me, might just be a bad route or they blacklisted an IP range you're on or something.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Why aren't you firewalling incoming connections at the router? Drop those incoming connections!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

frameset posted:

Isn't sickbeard long dead at this point?

I mean, it works, and I haven't changed up usenet software since I put it on a VM in 2013, but the last github merge was 2016?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I just paid normally. I haven't heard of indexers being visited by jackbooted thugs. It seems like they have their hands full with torrent sites.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Horse Clocks posted:

Wasn’t there also that project to index usenet on usenet itself?

Did that take off? I’m guessing it didn’t.

That seemed a cool idea.

Spotweb still exists and works kind of, but it seems like the Netherlands is its largest userbase. If you need NL subs for something it's got it.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Volguus posted:

While there are dutch subs on some movies, most of them have them external, so they can be disabled/deleted. Some movies do have them hardcoded though, that's true. Since it's a set & forget system, to not have it is kinda foolish. I have mine for a long time now (since newzbin died) and I am very happy with it. I get a lot of crap from there.

Yeah I've been surprised that it's kept going and only used 16GB in user data since 2012.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

lordfrikk posted:

I randomly tried dognzb 2 days ago and the registrations were open (I think they were closed before?). My account says trial and number of days. Maybe it's a stupid question but do the trial accounts get converted to some permanent but limited account or are they just closed if you don't sign up before the trial period is over?

They give you 30 days after the trial ends where you can't use the site but you can upgrade trial to member. If you don't buy membership they delete the trial account 30 days after the trial expiration day. It's hard to find the correct info about how their stuff works but they do have a support forum:
https://dognzb.cr/board/index.php?/topic/4128-trial-to-member/

I've been on a lite account since they reneged on lifetime memberships but it's always best to diversify on nzb sites anyway. The four or five I'm using now seem to keep things moving.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

lordfrikk posted:

Thanks for the answer! I was looking for the details about the trial membership, read the FAQ and search the forum a bit but didn't find anything.

I've been using DrunkenSlug and Usenet Crawler but the latter is often down. I'm looking for some decent indexers but they aren't that easy to come by IMO. dobnzb has everything neatly sorted and labeled, at least.

I don't know if any of them are open, but thanks to watching this thread I've picked up accounts for nzb.su, dog, nzb.cat, nzbnoob.com, over the years, and I've still got spotweb on a VM that somehow still works. It's advantageous to keep this thread bookmarked. Also that $3/mo plan for the game of thrones promo from newsdemon has been good. I still get emails from supernews offering me 5.99 for the first month and 11.99/mo afterwards. I don't think they care how expensive they are. My old plan with them was 9.99 and I was always looking for something cheaper.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I was never able to get an account on .org so I've been using nzb.su dognzb.cr (I don't recommend them much anymore because they reverted lifetime subscriptions) nzb.cat and nzbnoob.com. I also have spotweb running still on a VM but it's not very good for automated searches, mostly for manual stuff. It often indexes stuff subbed for the netherlands that I don't see on other providers but it's kinda janky.

edit: the last time this happened some goons were going to set up a server but like most great goon projects I don't think anything came of it.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Wow you guys sure like your linux ISOs.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

tzirean posted:

Hmm. I pay $10/mo for Supernews, am I a silly dinosaur who has been overpaying for years?

I signed up for the $3/mo plan during their game of thrones discount in July 2017 and cancelled supernews. Supernews emails me sometimes offering me one month for $5.99 after which the price will be like 11.99 or something and it just seems absurd. I've been happy with newsdemon and a blocknews account as a backup.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Pardot posted:

Aren't these two on the same backbone, or am I misreading the info?

They are according to reddit but somehow blocknews as my lowest priority server still gets used sometimes. I also have one of those free test xennanews accounts and have a free xsusenet account and they somehow both get used as well despite being different priorities and on the same provider. Perhaps it's just outages but I rarely need to look at my servers so I'm not sure.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Out of curiosity, how do the NZB sites get their content? Are there NZB backbones, for lack of a better term, upstream that they copy from?

Also, is there a Docker thread? I'm looking at migrating my usenet stuff to Docker and am trying to wrap my head around how you interface with the file system.

NZBs are automatically generated based on the usenet groups they look for posts in. These posts on newsgroups that get indexed are usually made up of files split up via rar with some parity files to fix incomplete archives. Most of the nzb grabbing software (like newznab) lets you pick the newsgroups you index and uses regexes to generate the nzb files which are just references that tell your downloader where to go to find the files referenced by the nzb. They're XML which is meant to be a markup file that's human readable, so you can open them up to see what's in there.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NZB

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Pardot posted:

If everything is obfuscated these days, how or who does the de obfuscation?

Édit: and why aren’t nzbs posted to Usenet itself?

I'm not sure how the obfuscation they're using now works. Obviously the subject which is the filename is hashed or encrypted but I'm guessing it's a scene thing that site operators know how to handle. It's probably something of an open secret but I have no idea.

I don't think there's much of a point to putting nzbs themselves on usenet in general since they just reference the posts already on usenet, although the Spotweb nzb service kind of works like that. It balls up a bunch of nzbs and posts them as "spots" for other spotwebs to download and unpack, giving you your own local spotweb webserver. It seems to be netherlands heavy but I do find things on there I can't find on other indexers sometimes. I've left it running for years at this point on a VM and it's still only using like 6GB.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

nzb.su is open for registration at the moment. I don't know how their monetization is due to having old VIP but I've been using it for over 8 years without too many issues.

edit: nzbnoob is also open for registration, have only been using it 2 years but it's alright
https://nzbnoob.com/

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Got everything set up via SABnzbd. Works great, but I rip through downloads and the post-processing takes a damned eternity on a local platter HDD. I have a massive backlog of poo poo it needs to process and each item seems to take a few hours each for 2-4GB files.

Looking at task manager, it seems my HDD is being maxed out and hardly anything on my Ivy Bridge CPU. I assume grabbing an SSD would speed things up on the post-processing end?

Yeah, a SSD would be fast, although that seems unusually long, even for a hard disk. I have my usenet stuff setup on a VM and the unpacking is done on the VM (which is using a 2TB HD for its datastore) and then it moves it to my NAS afterwards. That VM is limited to 2GB of ram and 2 cores maximum on an AMD FX-8300 so it's pretty anemic. I have large unpacks take a few minutes but never hours. It may be some weird config issue but definitely check your HD health with crystal disk info and check how much it's reading and writing when its busy. If you're in windows you can use the resource monitor in windows 10 to check what processes are using a lot of the disk.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yeah I do the processing on this local disk, then have it copy to my NAS as well.

The platter disk it’s using was one I replaced from my NAS. It had started to throw a few SMART errors, but nothing insane. It very well could be (and probably is) bad disk health, so replacing it would be good anyway. I don’t store anything important on it, so I haven’t been too speedy at replacing it.

Just ordered a 1TB Samsung 860 Evo. I usually use Intel for my SSDs, but this one seemed to perform just fine from what I’ve read, and the recommendations in SH/SC.

I have a half dozen Samsungs SSDs and they've been great. You don't need to use their magician software unless you want to, its primary use is to get the latest firmware on the disk.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Even though video guides are usually slow as hell this was a good guide to shucking WD externals and it wasn't padded out to 10+ minutes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6VCQ64DkfM

If you keep the 3v3 pin and the external case you can even ship it in for warranty replacement if it dies early. I used a little piece of kapton/polyamide tape over mine.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Looks like abnzb.com and nzbnoob.com still have free registration open. They both seem to just be newznab so I'm not sure if there's anything special but I sign up for most of the nzb sites that open up and just keep a free account in case they go away. Abnzb claims they might wipe free accounts that don't log in once a month, but I don't think I do that and I've had an account for a year, but it doesn't seem to get hit that much. Spotweb still works if you want to run your own thing as well, although it's a little clunky and seems to have a lot of subtitles for the Netherlands.

I'm still sore that nzb.su went back on the lifetime accounts. Mine's still got time on it but I'm salty about it.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jan 26, 2021

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

nexus6 posted:

Man, I have had torrent downloads stuck in Deluge for months and within 2 days of adding Usenet to Sonarr I'm clearing dozens of missing files, and all at the maximum speed offered by my ISP.

Do folks here tend to use more than 1 indexer?

Yeah it's worth collecting as many free/low cost indexers as you can since they vanish from time to time and (as stated by the previous goon) they have different content sometimes. The newznab configuration that most of them use has regexes to find files on usenet and a specific list of usenet groups it looks in. Those will vary by indexer.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

hbag posted:

im paying for enough subscriptions as-is

It'll be an extra step but you can setup STunnel on your machine or another one on your LAN or wherever and then configure it to forward to your usenet server. Then your usenet client will connect to the stunnel computer on the local host or wherever it's hosted on whatever port it's set to and it'll connect out from there. I used it maybe 8 years ago for a project that's long since stopped being needed so I don't have any specific help for you or alternatives that might be newer.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Taima posted:

Hey so this is probably a stupid question but I've been encountering these files recently:

Nothing seems to extract them and they usually have what seem like totally arbitrary file extensions. Maybe I'm just lucky but I have been doing this for years and have never experienced this kind of thing. However for some reason I've been seeing it a lot recently. What's up?

Generally it's some garbage file that's trying to trick you into clicking a malicious link. At best they will show you ads so they can have money, at worst it will be some kind of malware. Sometimes the malware claims to be a special viewer for the file you have downloaded. Delete it and move on.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I'm still using Sickbeard but I wouldn't recommend it for a new install, my install has just been working since 2013 or something. It fails to find stuff pretty regularly that's not hard to find and I have to go get the nzb manually.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

porktree posted:

For a week or so I'm getting some weirdness when I log into nzb.su - with every page change I'm asked to log in again. It happens across multiple pc's and browsers. I've had VIP status for ages, and everything 'works' it's just annoying to re log in all the time. Is nzb.su dying?

It's not doing it for me, so it could be some hosting issue. The forum is a wasteland of unanswered posts, so it could be dying, I guess.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Some of the nzb sites are also doing renewal discounts. I re-upped on on .su recently (no discount afaik) so I'm not doing it, but dog sent me an email about tacking a few months on for each renewal yesterday. I forget why I let VIP lapse on dog but they're kind of dickheads, this is their current deal:
code:
Renew On	        3 Year Renewal	        1 Year Renewal
November 25th	12 additional months	4 additional months
November 26th	9 additional months	3 additional months
November 27th	6 additional months	2 additional months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The main reason to have accounts on lots of indexers is in case they vanish. I've got like half a dozen plus I'm running a VM that still does spotweb. Spotweb picks up a lot of stuff I don't find on other indexers. Based on the comments it seems like it's popular in the Netherlands. I only keep a paid account on one or two indexers and just use the free accounts on most of them as long as they're not too limited.