Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Man, those old Gotham Adventures routinely packed more pathos and humanity into a single issue than most arcs of the mainstream Bat comics. Those writers really seemed to get Batman and his array of tragic villains, and the loneliness and the compassion of Batman are beautifully handled.

In this excerpt, the psychologist Harvey's seeing manages to steal his silver dollar and replace it with a weighted coin that always lands good-side-up. When Two-Face breaks out of jail, people are surprised to see him turning on his old compatriots, breaking up gangs and playing the hero - but the more righteous he acts, the more he condemns himself for his sins. He knows to the core that he does not deserve redemption.

"It's going to get better, Harvey. I promise."

EDIT: From Gotham Adventures #12.

Squidster fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

From Superman: Secret Identity #2

Clark Kent, fresh from being hunted by the government, tells Lois who he really is. This is the first time he's ever told anyone about his powers - not even his parents know.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

He 'homaged' the poo poo out of Asimov's The Last Question.". I've had a frustrating number of comic readers tell me how mind blowing the ending to Supreme was, and how no one else is that creative. It's a nice story, but Moore really only added capes.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Gentlefolk, please join me in Derailed before we all get banned.

Content - from a graphic novel called Meltdown. The protagonist, a screwup 9-5 superhero called Flare, has found out that his flame-based powers are exponentially increasing in power, and will consume him entirely in a matter of days. He decides he's going to settle all his old scores before he goes out, starting with the supervillain he hated most.

After he's had his revenge, he tries to make up to his old girlfriends, say goodbye to his loved ones, but a natural disaster pulls his away, and his hero instincts kick in one last time.

He manages to save a handful of lives before his powers fail him completely, and he goes out in a literal blaze of glory.

And then six months later...

Squidster fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 18, 2012

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Who's the artist? That's fantastically colourful and lively.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

One of the character archetypes I admire most in fiction are those that are completely aware that they live in a hopeless, nihilist punchline of a universe, and choose to live in hope anyway.

So have some Attack On Titan, read right-to-left, and expect misery. Sasha, the comic relief character, is evacuating a village, and has found a survivor in the ruins. Sasha is completely unarmed, and has just lost her horse. Also, Titans are nigh-unkillable idiot murder machines.

Attack On Titan #36

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

That is some emotionally ruthless poo poo right there.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Alright, fine, I'll pick up the stupid trade already. I've never had any interest in Ghost Rider, but that and the panels in the badass thread have sold me.

Edit: ...is the series abbreviation really ANGR? Does he have that on his license plate?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

poo poo like this is why I stopped reading Miss Marvel.

I loved the book, but stripping her out of her comfortable setting completely ruins it for me. I *liked* having a low-stakes read with a relatable character in a familiar setting, and now they have to jettison all of that because of some bullshit Big Event? I don't want grim and gritty and hopeless hard-choices - every other comic already has those. How is their newfound audience, who only read this one single book, going to react to it being shat by editorial?

I reluctantly admit those pages are still well-written and heartfelt, though.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I might be wrong here, I'm just going off the pages posted, but it didn't strike me as grim and gritty but as a sort of...Coming of age, I guess. I feel like the message extends into a metaphor about relationships in general, that you can't fix everything and everyone without taking some serious damage yourself. And possibly still failing at that. It's a mentor, gently, helping her young charge face mortality and accept that while it's not easy sometimes it's unavoidable.
I do enjoy Kamala's interactions with older heroes, and that scene works for me. I'm just very burned out on the spectacle of carnage imagery.

When narrow-niche books get swept up in big events, it rarely ends well for the book - I'm reminded of Ultimate Spider-man's plot floundering after the drowning of New York, Miles Morales joining the Ultimates, Blue Beetle's grittier reboot, etc. I'm really attached to Miss Marvel, and I don't want them to destroy what made her interesting. I will still be checking back in on the series in a few months to see if it continues with its original flavour.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Eventually! But it spent like three issues going 'omg is peter dead' and spinning it's wheels while it tried to sweep the crossover events under the rug.

EDIT: In fairness, I'm just old-man-grumbling. Ignore me!

Squidster fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 6, 2015

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Calaveron posted:

Mad Hatter willing to give Batman his perfect world just so he would leave him alone makes for a better motivation than Mad Hatter thought was saaaad
I think you may fundamentally misunderstand the nature of this story. Batman is the protagonist of the issue, but it's about the Mad Hatter, a tragically unhappy desperate man, trying to fix someone who in his mind is broken just like him. If the Hatter could make Batman be happy, then maybe, someday the Hatter could learn to be happy as well.

All the Gotham Adventures issues had a deep empathy for its wounded heroes and ruined villains. A bunch of the issues have stuck with me for years and years, while all the rest of the franchise blends together.

This is one of my all-time favorite Batman stories, in which Two-Face's lucky coin is switched with a weighted fake. And he starts to feel the unbearable guilt of all the choices he let the coin make.

Gotham Adventures #12

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I could yap for hours about how much personal discovery I have made since leaving the store and realizing how toxic of a work place it was. But this thread isn't about me.
This is the kind of learned toxic behaviour you need to reflect on. Whether it's Ironic, semi-ironic, or direct douchey, meaningless pissing matches over industries hurts every comics community. Whether it's European, western, manga, indy or webcomic, there's somehing to be learned from every medium of sequential storytelling, and kneejerk gatekeeping harms the community and the industry.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

So, an office worker gets stuck in a time loop. Groundhog day-style, he wakes up every day on the same morning, and at night he's taunted by the ghost of a kid he knew in highschool. ( read right to left )

From Mizukami Satoshi's anthology of short comics.

What I find inspiring about Mizukami's work is that you can find almost every comic he's ever made, from his high-school scribbles to his modern big-budget anime-adapted projects. You can watch his writing and artwork evolving over twenty years of dedication to his craft.

As a general thread question, who's your favourite creator who's evolved most over their career? Share some inspiring improvement!

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Archyduke posted:

I mean Lone Wolf and Cub is kind of interesting to me in that I've often thought about putting scenes of it in .....
This is a good post and I appreciate it.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

Lord I hate that whole Incursion storyline it's just amazingly lovely
Incursion made me realize I was done with Big Two comics. I haven't looked back.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

'Tis Time for 'Torture,' Princess.
In his nightmare kingdom, the Hell Lord dwells with his devilish brood. Today, they bake.

Ain't nothing more badass than being a supportive dad.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Frieren at the Funeral: Grandfather

Frieren has taken the party to see an old friend from her hero days.

She intends to wait with him until he dies, but the more short-lived members of the party object.

The villagers appreciate him, but don't really know how to talk to him.

When Frieren walked with heroes, they asked him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

I believe it's the manga panels thread in ADRTW that panicks when full pages are posted. You can go a bit longer here.