Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Madkal posted:

This image from Allstar Superman (trade 1 - dunno the single issue number) always gets me. It's just one of the most romantic pictures I have ever seen in comics. Supes gives Lane his powers for a day and at the end of the day they share a kiss on the moon.

Quitely made the call on the kiss. Originally Morrison had it scripted with them laying down like how you see couples make out on the beach in the movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Dr. Hurt posted:

Animal Man #26. For context, Animal Man has had his family viciously killed and has been on a cosmic odyssey through continuity nightmares, time, and even limbo to try to find their true killer. It turns out the person responsible is none other than the writer himself. After a bit of conversation and a forced fight, Grant has this to say.

Should post this in the New 52 thread so everyone can know why Animal Man has such a cult following.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Did you think that I would let you in the hospital if there was a chance of the baby being born healthy?

She lost it thirty minutes ago."

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Well, she had just recently died. I think he just wanted to say goodbye.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

I always liked in TAS how Brainiac was hiding the truth and Jor-el was the only one that saw past him

Morrison talked about how that was his favorite version of Brainiac. Speaking of Morrison and Brainiac, someone needs to post (in another thread) Alex Ross' orignal sketches for how Brainiac was supposed to look in Justice. Grant Morrison as Brainiac is hilarious to behold.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Everyone should buy it. You don't need to have read any of the previous issues to enjoy this one.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

It's not that F4 doesn't have heart, it's just very by the numbers, making it hard for people to be excited. FF is a wild pop song, while F4 is a steady waltz. 1-2-3-4. FF is clearly the better book, but I don't think anyone should count out F4.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

By the numbers, waltz, and count out all just came together. I just love the Fantastic Four as the cornerstone of the Marvel Universe, and I think the book is a real gem that shouldn't be overshadowed by the brilliance of FF. It's kind of like how you can enjoy Hickman's Avengers on it's own, but reading New Avengers opens things up even further.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Wouldn't Klaw be able to just annihilate the symbiote if he wanted? He's made of sound.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

That's really cute. There's a back up in one of Loebs Superman/Batman issues where something similar happens, but Clark doesn't ask him to play. He wonders if he could have changed the boys life if he did. Did Sale draw that?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Robert Redford was the best Death in the Twilight Zone episode Nothing in the Dark.

Was Neil Gaiman's Death worth a read? A kindly reaper is something most people want to believe in, I think.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

Man it's moments like that that almost make me want to get back into reading Marvel, and then I remember that comics like the really crappy and grim-derp Incursion exist and I go back to not giving a drat about Marvel 616 as they ruin my Suspension of Disbelief and I'm one of those people who care about continuity too much to ignore them(this has been a problem for me since Morrison's X-Men run and Avengers Dissassembled/House of M/Decimation, so it's been a long time since I consistently enjoyed modern Marvel)

Touching and inspiring.

Marvel's drat good right now.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Can someone post just the last panel? I want to make someone's day.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Lockjaw is a dog according to Tom Brevoort, citing that it'd be creepy as gently caress if he were once sapien. I'll take the editor's word over the website.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Ignite Memories posted:

So, um, I have no idea what the story is behind the inhumans but it basically sounds like the backstory of static shock. C/d?

That's exactly what the new Inhumans are like. The ones from before the terrigen bomb in Infinity were all raised in seclusion, and got their powers as a rite of passage.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

He looks like a normal dude with dark hair. He wandered around New York with amnesia, and Magneto tried to trick him into joining the Brotherhood.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Haha. Great origin for Calendar Man.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Only thing I really liked about Wanted is that it's supposed to take place in the real world. Like, we're the one Earth without super heroes because evil won, and erased every trace that they ever existed. It's like Millar got stuck somewhere between Grant Morrison and Frank Miller, and decided to make all these big brained ideas cynical as gently caress.

Seeing that we got a Wanted movie instead of We3 almost proves him right.

This is supposed to be the touching moments thread, so to be positive, I can say I did legitimately enjoy 1985.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Ashcans posted:

If you assume that Peter's parents were in their 30s when they had him and that Ben is notably older than his brother, you can push the age gap to 40 without even fiddling with things like May's age difference to Ben.

Although I think that part of the issue is that a lot of comic art doesn't really handle granularity in age very well - people are often shown as either being infants, in their prime, or geriatrics, and the transitions between those are often pretty badly covered. You see the same thing with a character who is supposed to be 12-14. I can imagine that the original idea for a older woman who serves as a comforting home figure just got parsed into 'grandma' in the art, and then it stuck.

The post Lee/Kirby X-Men are a good example of the art and the writing totally glossing over that the original cast should be about college age. I always thought Scott and Jean were older thirty somethings.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

You're not the only one that notices the melodrama. You're just the only one that thinks melodrama in a medium where our heroes and villains often represent our existential hopes and fears is unwarranted.

Someone post the whole YOU section in Mighty Avengers.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

If you guys like that Ms Marvel issue, the last issue of Captain America and the Mighty Avengers is going to punch you in the heart.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Now someone post the next couple panels.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Love that round rear end head. Post some more pages from Inc volume 2. Burnham was amazing.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Captain Marvel has a amazing design. It uses all three primary colors, the Hala star makes a good symbol that blends with the rest of the outfit, and that sash is an amazing accessory that breaks up all the blue below her chest. A+ costume, and there's not a drat thing that would, or should, be changed for the movie.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I like it the original Mar-Vell suit too. Very retro, especially when compared to the primary colored duds he was famous for.

Sorry, thought this was there costume is thread. The latest Ms Marvel issue deserves to have every page in this thread.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

I'll put it this way. Waid's book in the series about Ibn al'Xuffasch--Kingdom Come's adult version of Damian years before Damian was a thing--brings Luthor to the Batcave and then brings Braniac and Ra's al Ghul back to life, so that they can lump their intelligence together to solve the current time-unraveling threat happening to their world. Then he tricks Braniac and Luthor into killing each other. Then he has a big dramatic swordfight with grandpa Ra's atop the robot dinosaur, ultimately besting and killing him, cause he's just so :krad: of an Original Character Do Not Steal.

Sounds awesome! Like Damian showing he's the superior Robin by fighting Tim atop the T-Rex.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Fuego Fish posted:

You know, I love how they wrote this big, convoluted storyline in order to retcon away Peter and MJ's marriage so that Spider-Man would be "more relateable to the reader" and then within ten years of that, he's the head of a multinational corporation.

Part of Peter having his own company is that it's way past the norm for him. Mid twenties millionaire inventer is kind of a thing these days. It's a good power fantasy to couple with being a costumed adventurer. Peter is still relatable because he doesn't act like a corporate suit, he's still a goofy nerd with a good heart.

It's not exactly that Peter is always broke that makes the character relatable, but that he's constantly on the verge of losing everything. Eventually Parker Industries will be destroyed by the Green Goblin, or bought out by Puma (remember him?). This multinational house of cards is making the current volume of Amazing Spider-Man a must read for life long reader who only ever broke from his collection because Slott took over.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

It seems like SHIELD is just being saved for when they decide they want to release the collection. Wait until Da Vinci shows up in Agents of SHIELD or some other thing they can vaguely tie it to.

Is there a reading list for Hickman's Avengers in collected editions? I got the hardcover that collects 1-13, so I'm covered up to Infinity along with the collection of New Avengers 1-6.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Norns posted:

I love seeing all the :tinfoil: about marvel killing off xmen books. There's like 5 or 6 xmen books, and a gently caress ton of popular mutants spread around on teams.

And even if they are trying to keep the X books in their own corner for the most part, that's where they thrived anyways. People used to hate when they'd deal with the Avengers or other non mutants.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Nova and Stargirl are both great characters. It's that extra bit of heart that really brought them to life. On the other hand, Grant Morrison inserted himself into a comic to tell you about how much he misses his cat.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I've seen people at conventions get robbed with all sorts of Transformers.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Uthor posted:

Is that J'onn J'onzz in the last panel? Imagining being burned to death?

Yep. New Frontier is a must read for anybody who has ever picked up a DC book.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

In Morrison's run his girlfriend broke up with him because she was getting harassed for dating a mutant "The word bestiality was used." Beast tries to play it off like it didn't wreck him, and muses "Who knows? Maybe I'm gay."

I think it gets clarified later that he was only presenting the possibility after the internet went nuts over it. This was like early 2002, so it was a lot bigger deal then.

EDIT: Haha. The word filter is awesome.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Beast implying he might be homosexual was a huge deal. This was three years before Young Avengers.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I don't know, but I've never been surprised by people not liking it. It takes the X-Men, and their readers, outside their comfort zone. It was my first encounter with Morrison's work as an impressionable sixteen year old, and it really changed how I looked at my childhood favorites, and comics in general.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Because Magneto and Doctor Doom aren't as sympathetic as people like to pretend they are. At the end of the day Magneto wants to either enslave or kill every human being. He's hijacked nuclear missiles, started more than one antagonistic nation, and hit the Earth with an electromagnetic pulse, killing thousands. Being a holocaust survivor doesn't give him a free pass to be a monster.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Doom is good and right most of the time, though.

All I hope lies in Doom.

I love a good story where Magneto teams with the X-Men, but if he lingers around long enough, I remember that Magneto is not a nice dude.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Am I the first person to mention that Dan Slott wrote that?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Chaos Hippy posted:

There's a reason everyone but BSS likes his Spider-Man run.

BSS, or at least Rhyno, X-O, and I, like the current run. Slott's first solo run starting with Big Time, broke my continuous Amazing Spider-Man run that started with #252.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Pass that torch. I'm old, white, and angry. Be better than me.