Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I've never liked the Vision as a character despite being a huge Marvel fan. It's been almost a year, and I still haven't come to grips with the Vision being the best Marvel (possibly best super hero) book. And that's not knocking Marvel's current output, because most of their books are quite good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Sorry about your loss. Almost jumped down your throat there. My mom had breast cancer twice, and can't really work because of nerve damage, but at least she's alive. Thor is a really good book though. She's probably my favorite out of the new characters with old names that Marvel is full of.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Go tell Jason Aaron he doesn't understand cancer. Who the gently caress doesn't understand cancer?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

It's been a minute since I read it, but wasn't the actual reason that 616 Reed was the only one with his father around since the rest of the Nathans all killed each other?

I think you can imply that one leads to the other. The rest chose science over their families because they didn't have a dad.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Thor and Doctor Strange are both dealing with the cost of power.

What books besides Thor and Ms Marvel feel like traditional super hero books anymore? Not a lot of secret identities these days.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Besides that arc in the Heroic Age Avengers, the Illuminati was awesome. Not many of them left these days. Things aren't looking good for Stark, and Namor is still dead, right?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Supposedly Freddy Krueger's shape changing was inspired by Plastic Man.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

Joe Kelly really wasn't appreciated enough in his day

Following Grant Morrison and Mark Waid will do that. Did Joe Kelly create Faith or whatever her name was? I'm not going to call her a Mary Sue, but she was walking the line.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Yeah Faith was terrible. But he gave us so many bright spots that I can forgive him for Faith.

What about the super white supremacist story? I remember that being a dud.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I'm just poking holes. Joe Kelly was my first monthly JLA writer, but I have a foggy memory. I remember a story with a monkey. Who was on the replacement JLA during the Obsidian Age? I see Nightwing, Green Arrow, Hawkgirl (because Captain Marvel refused), the Atom, and Firestorm, but I don't recognize the last two.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Someone is going to dust off MD ten years from now. Him and Damage will wipe the slate clean while the character find of 2025 creates a new universe

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Monaghan posted:

Remember when Superman seriously considered reporting some (literal) alien refugees, despite the fact that they hadn't hurt anyone and we're completely self sufficient! All because they weren't "giving back to their community."

That was the Detroit one. Someone gifed the panel of him spinning a basketball on his finger as he's like "Mind if I dial in?"

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I thought it was awesome. Put it up there with Knockout being gay as improvements on boring Superboy stories.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

yea post-9/11 Cap unmasked himself as a show of being for America rather than glory and poo poo. One of the few 9/11 Marvel things that was actually pretty solid. Did that come with him making his big "America doesn't know what it is right now" speech or was that a Civil War thing?

He didn't want America being blamed for killing the terrorist, because the terrorists guys whole thing was about punishing Americans for the countries involvement in foreign affairs. "America didn't kill him. I did."

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

akulanization posted:

it already reads like a hateful parody.

It's not actually hateful if you actually read the books. There's a lot of dark stuff, but there's always something heart warming to pull it out of the dirt. The issue about consumerism ends with Wilma telling Fred she doesn't need a bunch of useless crap, and he picks up Dino after asking "What's it do?" "Nothing." "I'll take it."

The election issue has Pebbles become class president, the genocide issue has Barney adopt Bam Bam after agonizing about not being able to conceive a child, etc;

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Anybody get the Young Animal vinyl last week? There's a kind of cool opening/closing for the sampler book by Gerard Way and Mike Allred? It's a cool attempt to sell comics to a hipper crowd.

Also, I really want Robot Man's "Heavy Meta" shirt. I just want a Doom Patrol shirt.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly I'm surprised they haven't done more Squirrel Girl/New Wolverine crossovers, they'd make a great duo(plus any opportunity for Doreen to appear in a book that isn't drawn by the artist for her own book is a good thing)

I agree. Laura should show up in Squirrel Girl. Jubilee can return to explain that Laura's claws don't actually go "snikt", it's her making the sound.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Tolerating Doom is favorable to going to war with Doom without provocation.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Pay for your comic books, asshat.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Dec 2, 2017

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Elfface posted:

He's tossing and catching her for her birthday! Whee! Whee!

I'm at least 80% sure Carol is going to walk off any fall in Earth gravity.

Then he's going to make her a sandwich like he did for Spider Woman.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

It's a Batman: Year One reference.

King's Batman is the best. There's plenty of one or two issue stories in his run you can just pick up to see what he's about.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

site posted:

Mm was real good today and I'm very happy for them so now of course something bad is gonna happen in the back half

I already mentioned in the DC thread that I think Barda saying "I was.." at the end of the issue means things are going to get even darker.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

TwoPair posted:

I wish I could take any of those H-B comics seriously because the words alone make it seem really heavy but then you add the cartoon characters and I simply can't.

“But, doctor, I am Pagliacci.”

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

It's similar to what's going on with the current Archie books.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Then your alternative is the Hulk smashing your rear end.

Original Sin had some good tie ins. The Avengers one is great, even though (or perhaps because) it had nothing to do with the event.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

Comics people drive like this, and anime people drive like this!

Checks out. I drive and read American.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Nightwing vs Hush. Came out last week. It's really weird and good. Read it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Guess I'm buying that What If?

Gavok is me if I didn't smoke so much weed.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I thought M was showing the spin of a bullet, but I have no real clue about that kind stuff.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Zodiac5000 posted:

I am honestly surprised at how deep the wolverine well appears to be that you can staple parts of him to literally anything and it seems to be working out pretty well on the page.

Also: Ugh, westriver hillbillies. East River South Dakota is the best.

Wolverine is a good archetype. You can throw him into any sort of plot, and he fits.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Quit trying to ruin Christmas. Squirrel Girl was perfect the way it was. That creative team synced up very well, and I lost interest after Henderson left, though I’m sure it’s still a good book.

Thanks for posting those covers though. I miss Howard the Duck.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

As much as I’ve enjoyed the post Bendis Avengers, I really liked that group. They spent a lot of time just hanging out.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

It’s not. Bagley is doing art on that book, and the latest issue is in the 70’s. I think there was a recent Spectacular Spider-Man Annual that had Allred doing a story.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

site posted:

one thing i think thats missing in context of these panels in particular is that its soon after this arc that cap goes back and becomes a raging rear end in a top hat who devotes all his (and shields) time trying to hunt down the illuminati because they wronged him, and not actually doing anything about the incursions.

Then Cap and Iron Man die in the mud, beating the poo poo out of each other as the universe collapses.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Meltzer excels at character moments. It’s plot that he has the problem with.

EDIT: I was distracted by the ladies face in the third panel on the bottom, so, I didn’t notice that the couple with the baby is actually two men.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 31, 2019

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Sephyr posted:

Is there any established, happy relationship between major X-characters? I don't think even Professor X's thing with his bird alien lady lasted.

Rogue and Gambit are happily married, and had a fun series called Mr and Mrs X.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Depending on the story, either Cyclops would bank a shot to hit Kate in the back when she’s not expecting it, or she’d phase his visor off his head, leaving him functionally blind.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Reminder that Astonishing Spider-Man and Wolverine was a really fun book. Doom the Living Planet was only topped by the mash ups from the future Thor timeline.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I don’t know, those pages are about Love and Thunder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Ariong posted:

It’s weird how you typed so many words after this as if anyone would keep reading beyond it.

Right after that he said he doesn’t like Taika’s humor. That’s where I stopped reading.

I will not take lightly any insults about the guy who made Jojo Rabbit.