Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I actually liked Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back(although it's not as good as his other movies)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Man it's moments like that that almost make me want to get back into reading Marvel, and then I remember that comics like the really crappy and grim-derp Incursion exist and I go back to not giving a drat about Marvel 616 as they ruin my Suspension of Disbelief and I'm one of those people who care about continuity too much to ignore them(this has been a problem for me since Morrison's X-Men run and Avengers Dissassembled/House of M/Decimation, so it's been a long time since I consistently enjoyed modern Marvel)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

OldTennisCourt posted:

"Grim-Dark" has become the go to phrase for a comic that is anything other than wacky adventures for a lot of people for some reason. There are people who loving hate the new Avengers comics and think they are literally destroying every character involved in them.

It's kinda absurd.

I have no problem with serious comics, it's just that when a serious comic is bad, it's often way worse than a bad non-serious comic and well there's a quote that sums up my problems with most modern superhero comics(this is from memory so I might not be getting it quite right); "Remember when comic book worlds were places you wanted to escape to, not from..."

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Schneider Heim posted:

Sounds like you could use some continuity-free, all-ages stuff like Marvel Adventures, Power Pack, and my personal favorite, Thor: The Mighty Avenger.

I think the solo-B titles are light on continuity and offer a lot more variety than the big team/solo books. Even most of the event tie-ins don't derail their respective books, unlike in the Civil War/Secret Invasion/Dark Reign era.

Yeah I know about that stuff, it's just that I love 616, and it irritates me that in the majority of stuff set there in the last decade plus the heroes just tend to come off as either not heroic at all or just plain incompetent if not both at the same time with only the occasional exception

Also Incursion pisses me off because it's ruining multiple characters I love(The Illuminati or at least it's members), and now I can't consider the 616 versions of them heroes anymore after what they did to Earth-4290001, they are now pretty much full blown villains in spite of whatever they do in the future, considering they were complicit in the death of an entire inhabited alternate Earth

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Rhyno posted:

You seriously think Hickman is going to walk away from this without redeeming them?

Oh I know they'll end up saving the day one way or another, but still in my opinion this ruins any credibility in considering them heroes, unless this arc ends in Timey-Wimey stuff to undo this whole arc

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Hakkesshu posted:

I think what Hickman was going for was that they all regretted what they were doing and wanted to call it off, but Namor decided to do it anyway. I mean they still killed the Justice League, but at least they eventually decided against committing genocide even if they had been prepared for it.

And it's not like it's the first time he's done that anyway.

The thing is that although it was Namor who pulled the trigger, they all had direct involvement in this plot so I still hold them all culpable for it

Really this whole mess just goes to show that the whole "Hard Men Making Hard Choices" trope just doesn't work in a superhero context

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Senior Woodchuck posted:

It helps to remember they're not real people.

That actually makes it worse in my opinion

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

It's kinda amazing how big of a middle finger to Superhero comics Irredeemable is(behind only Wanted and The Boys) when Mark Waid is normally a pretty big superhero fanboy as far as I can tell, but then again it's almost impossible to write a pisstake on Superheroes without coming off like a douchebag(Watchmen, Miracleman, Supergod, and certain aspects of 90's era Valiant are the only straight examples where this works as far as I'm aware of), probably cause it just almost always comes off as too mean spirited and bleak to have any value left to it

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

No, full stories instead of just a cover and an excuse. More like Archer with superpowers.

What are these "showcases" you speak of?

He's talking about Showcase Presents a series of large B&W trade paperbacks that reprint old DC comics, primarily from the Silver Age

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Rhyno posted:

A comic book based on toys from the 80's has absolutely no business being so well written and so goddamn touching.

Especially amazing when you compare it to the author before Roberts who failed miserably at writing them(he seemed to miss the point about every single aspect of the franchise, it's just amazing, didn't hurt that he acted like an rear end about it)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I'm really hoping that when we get Spider-Man in the MCU, if we see Jameson, that they'll hew closer to the Ultimate version more(or at least the more sane and reasonable side of 616 version), cause we've already gotten the perfect representation of Classic Jameson already on the big screen

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

from some Duke Nukem comic where he time travels to WW2;

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

here's one that I felt was pretty nice;

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Mr. Maltose posted:

Stardust being the source of true life and imagination is something I'm not entirely comfortable with, to be honest.

feels pretty nice considering most other modern uses of him have him as some horrible monster, which is getting kinda tired(especially while his methods are especially brutal by modern standards, his villains are pretty much all the sort that in a modern comic would each be the focus of a company-wide crossover, and are all horrid enough in their deeds to deserve the fates they receive by Stardust)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Those modern depictions are also transparent criticisms of his creator, who was by all accounts a drunken piece of crap.

I get it, though, because I can't think of anything more golden age than Stardust the Super Wizard, and that's what he represents in that comic; the age of innocence and hope that early comics had. They were weird and colorful and simplified and naive.

Very true(especially the LOEG version, which also came as yet another tired slam against both Superheroes and American Pop Culture from Alan Moore, and that's coming from someone who likes most of what he's made that I've read)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I'm probably going to have to pick Mega Man up, finally (I've been considering it for ages) but I have to wonder why they didn't just make money off the Robot Masters who only wanted to fight? Ultimate Robot Fighting, they get to be useful and do what they love, and it isn't like there haven't been a couple Mega Man fighting games. Maybe it'll come back up later, I guess.

well they'll probably be back eventually, cause there's events in several future games that could prompt them being reactivated, either by Dr Light, or by Dr Wily(the first 3 Game Boy Mega Man games as well as V, Power Battles, Power Fighters, Mega Man & Bass, 9, and 10 all come to mind if any of them get adapted, and that's not going into possible original material that could bring them back)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Because it's a loving metaphor.

Of course the metaphor kinda falls apart considering said Robot Masters aren't actually dead and it's almost inevitable that they'll come back in a future arc

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

You know I just realized with what's been established so far, Skull Man's story when they get to Mega Man 4 is going to be just plain tragic, both due to being one of the only Robot Masters built 100% for combat purposes to an extent even beyond Quick Man, as well as his relations with not only his brothers amongst the other 4th Numbers, but with his creator Dr Cossack as well(cause the rest of the 4th Numbers are preexisting Robot Masters that were modified for combat purposes, while Skull Man was something that Dr Wiley forced Dr Cossack to create under duress), so the Mega Man 4 arc is going to be a fairly heavy one as well in all likelihood

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

dragon_pamcake posted:

The manga did this story. Cossack was so ashamed of building Skull Man that he sealed him away. After Wily released him, Skull Man was obsessed with killing his creator so Mega Man was forced to put him down like a rabid dog. :(

yeah that one's going to hurt, also some content;

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Atmus posted:

Yeah Quick Man, you sure can't do anything useful. I mean Search and Rescue is for chumps, so it's much better to just die or whatever.

Gemini Man, too experimental? Yeah, kickass lasers have no application in the future. I mean Snakeman is becoming a topographer, but we sure can't find anything to do with cool bouncy lasers.

Shadow Man is going to reactivate all the other robots, because he is a sneaky ninja. Obvious Man is busy getting power cells or some poo poo, so he wasn't there to explain this to everyone.
Personally I think the point would have come across better if it had only been Quick Man who had refused

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

redbackground posted:

Now if we can get The Protomen to do the opening theme while The Megas rock out over the end credits...

obviously this would be the opening for the Japanese dub; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqFsp0-l3es

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Uthor posted:

What'd you say about Aunt May???

Best Aunt May moment ever(at least for 616 derived versions of her)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Die Laughing posted:

The post Lee/Kirby X-Men are a good example of the art and the writing totally glossing over that the original cast should be about college age. I always thought Scott and Jean were older thirty somethings.

actually if I remember properly most of the original X-Men besides Jean and Beast were supposed to be approximately 16 or so during issue 1(with Jean being 15 and Beast being 17 or 18), something to remember is that Marvel Time was a lot closer to Real Time in those days so everyone's ages didn't freeze into their current ones for a long time

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I'm still of the opinion that the whole Incursions thing is one of the dumbest, pointlessly bleak and contrived things to ever be come up with in the history of Marvel, so that page just doesn't work for me at all

meanwhile the upcoming DC animated movie Justice League: Gods & Monsters has released the second of a series of shorts they're doing through Machinima, and this one hits like a ton of bricks;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYSxN4ezhO4

Die Laughing posted:

You're not the only one that notices the melodrama. You're just the only one that thinks melodrama in a medium where our heroes and villains often represent our existential hopes and fears is unwarranted.

Someone post the whole YOU section in Mighty Avengers.

personally I'm not a fan of Melodrama in superhero comics either cause most comics writers are completely awful at writing it or anything else that could be perceived as "Mature"

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

The Lee/Ditko Spider-man was loving radical and it was full of melodrama.

yeah but they were actually good at it, I meant specifically people in the industry today, it's like partway through the 90's almost every writer lost the ability to be competent in that area

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

CzarChasm posted:

Oh, hey, that wasn't god awful. And they have a Batman one too. What's that like....

Batman is a vampire

Well, OK then.

this world's Batman isn't Bruce Wayne, it's Kirk Langstrom who's accidentally turned himself into a "Science" Vampire(think Morbius The Living Vampire from Marvel), and has chosen to only feed on criminals who deserve it, also Superman here is Zod's kid, and was raised by a Catholic family in Mexico, and Wonder Woman is supposedly a New God in this world as well

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Angry as gently caress, so much that you can barely contain your magic telekinesis and you crack the poo poo out of the windows that lead to outer loving space is metal a gently caress.

Yeah I love that it shows that Vader is still incredibly powerful in The Force, but since he rarely needs to use it he doesn't come off as all flashy like a lot of Force users are, so when Vader does cut loose it becomes truly terrifying

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Alacron posted:

I don't totally hate the acrobatic fights, In the hands of a better filmmaker I think they'd be really fuckin' cool, but making every Jedi and Sith (Yoda & Palpatine especially) flippy bastards was absolutely the wrong move.

Yeah it can be handled well as seen in the two Clone Wars mini-series that Genndy Tartakovsky did between AOTC and ROTS

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

muscles like this? posted:

It doesn't matter how many times people say that its good, I'll never take that series seriously because its goddamn Mega Man.

That's kinda a silly mentality to have isn't it?(also really hope Mega Man will continue to be good when it comes back from the hiatus it's going to be having soon)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Veotax posted:

Also they pretty much rebooted the comic after the first Mega Man/Sonic crossover due to legal issues with the former lead writer. The comic improved after the writer change but I think it's gotten even better after being forced to eject everything the old writer did and pretty much start over.

I still hope some of the old stuff returns some day, cause I actually liked some of the ridiculous stuff from the old days and was sad to see it go, also I'll admit Ken Penders is a man I'd love to beat the crap out of if I had the chance to with no repercussions afterwards

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I'd make a DESTINY joke but I think that abomination was from Bollers

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

TwoPair posted:

So after Damian Wayne died in Batman Inc, the Batman and Robin book went through a rotation of guest stars until his eventual resurrection: In Batman and Robin Nightwing #23 Batman's been beating himself up in a big way after Damian died during Batman Inc. Recently he's been running a VR simulation of the night over and over trying to save Damian and save the day but he can't do it. Nightwing swings by and helps by plugging himself into the simulation and together they manage to pull it off. Bittersweet but happy ending, right? Then the issue closes on this:

the scene may have lost a little of its gravitas due to Damian being alive again, but I still really like it.

killing Damian and getting rid of Batman Inc in the first place was a mistake, so it's good to see at least one of those mistakes accounted for(of course Batman and Green Lantern should have both received full reboots in the first place as they really mucked up the Nu52 due to being barely altered at all)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I still think both the Incursions and Secret Wars itself are terrible ideas, but I'm actually feeling kinda hopeful for post-SW Marvel, looks like some good stuff is coming

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The only way Secret Wars is going to have any real long term impact on Ms Marvel is if it's directly relevant to her getting on an Avengers team post SW and/or her relationship with Ghost Rider during it has any importance post SW, something similar can probably be said for 99% of Marvel's characters, heck Tony and Steve, and a handful of characters from other Earths seem to be the only people with any real continuity importance for this event

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

PJOmega posted:

Isn't the point that the whole reality will be overwritten?

616 is back to normal for the most part once this event is over(Ultimate Universe is still toast though)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Gavok posted:

It has some parallels, but it's more about Cap being super pissed that all the genius heroes (and Namor) mindwiped him and have all been playing God behind everyone's back, including blowing up an entire planet of innocent people.

God I hate pretty much everything to do with Hickman's version of The Illuminati, especially since it's basically ruined a bunch of characters I liked through dragging them through the sort of moral dilemmas that just don't work in a superhero narrative

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

was digging through my files for something else and found a couple things I felt worth sharing here

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

the art in that book is still horrendous, but that was a good bit of dialogue

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I really can't wait for Avengers Idea Mechanics to come out, since it'll mean Squirrel Girl will be in a book with art that won't make my eyeballs vomit(really hope they replace the artist on USG in the future, since Squirrel Girl is one of my favorite characters at Marvel and it sucks that she's saddled with such a mediocre artist)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

This is a real new topic. Incidentally, anybody have opinions on Frank Quitely on New X-Men?

from what I remember it's okay, but nowhere near as good as his work on Flex Mentallo or All-Star Superman, by the way someone should post some pages from Flex Mentallo, as that comic is packed full of touching and inspiring moments