Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Radbot posted:

Apparently this one is setup so it's ultra-wide angle, if that makes a difference.

I think pinholes are ultra-wide by default. Or at least, I don't think I've ever seen a pinhole shot that wasn't very wide angle.

whatever7 posted:

Why don't you poke a hole in a body cap?

The more perfectly round you can get your pinhole, the sharper image you'll get. Poking a hole in a bit of tin foil will actually leave a pretty ragged hole. Laser-drilled pinholes are a step up from that, although apparently an electron microscope aperture is the best. I was trying to find one online a year or two ago and had no luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

whatever7 posted:

You got an example of the fancy high-tech pinhole photography?

Call me a grumpy old man I don't understand the point of a sharp pinhole image.

http://www.zeroimage.com/web2003/EntryPage/entryFrameset.htm

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

AceClown posted:

Well, the price is out for the X-Pro1

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/02/01/fujifilm-x-pro1-price-revealed-available-for-preorder-in-the-us/

Even in photography dollars thats a loving expensive camera.

:drat:, I thought that $1700-ish was going to include a lens at least.

Still haven't ruled out selling my 5D + Canon glass and getting one :negative:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Bob Socko posted:

Now now, let's be fair - at least it doesn't look like the K-01.

And with those words, every camera design ever got a pass.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Guts of the Hubble space telescope inside of a Leica M3 body plz.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

More work from the designer of the K-01:

Is that a giant USB port on the front?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Finally found an NEX7 in a shop here. I think I'm sold on it over the Fuji.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Shmoogy posted:

Over fuji x100 or xpro1? I just got a nex5n and it appears to own but god drat is it stupid that the xpro is coming out with 3 awesome primes and the Nex still has almost no good native lenses.

So is the price for the Xpro1 system :v:

I guess I'd have to see a side-by-side comparison of the two (which may be a long time coming) to see if there's a big leap in image quality, but I doubt it's going to be enough to justify the much higher pricetag. I'm not really interested in being able to buy pricey first party primes; I use mirrorless cameras primarily as a platform for older manual focus lenses, and just want something that'll let me MF easily and does well at high ISO. The thought of paying $600 for a 50mm f/1.4 equivalent is just kinda :rolleyes: for me.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

rio posted:

Does anyone who uses old lenses have a suggestion for NEX users on a cheap but good 50mm equivalent? I have a couple FD lenses that I like, and there is that FD Thorium 35mm f2 (I need to look into those in terms of both price and quality, really only seen references so far), but I would be open to getting another adapter for some other brand if there were a way to get a nice, wide aperture lens that could get me close to 50mm on the cheap.

I'm a fan of the Olympus Pen 38mm f/1.8 on the NEX. It's compact (and so is the adapter) and can focus really close. I used mine a lot, until I got a good deal on the Pen 42mm f/1.2, its more expensive cousin. You can pick up the 38mm for $100 or less; I'm actually going to be selling mine (along with a Pen F body) in the near future if you're interested.

edit: sorry, cursory glance at eBay completed auctions indicates it's probably a bit over $100 for a user (but not bad) copy of the lens now. Still a pretty good deal if you can find one!

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 14, 2012

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

whatever7 posted:

I will just go ahead and casually keep referring to the XPro1 as a digital Rangefinder, I am not going to use a new made up word to descript Fuji's new focus mechanism.

Remember the word "PDA"? it didn't became an universally adapted word until "PDA" became obsolete. When Palm and PocketPC was popular nobody called it PDA.

It's not a rangefinder and just because the body kinda sorta looks like one doesn't make it so.

Rangefinders:
1) Can't focus up close
2) Are prone to parallax error
3) Can't support long lenses
4) Use a rangefinder to focus

None of those apply to the Xpro1.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

ChiTownEddie posted:

I am really torn. How did those of you with a mirrorless camera make your choice of which system?

For me it was no contest; I'd wanted a mirrorless as my "take around anywhere" camera, which includes a lot of stuff at night. The m4/3 sensor has pretty lovely high ISO and didn't seem like it'd ever make any significant improvements (Oly/Panasonic kinda boxed themselves in to a small, high-density sensor), so I went with the NEX basically as soon as it was released.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

whatever7 posted:

Canon actual has said in an interview they are going to release their mirrorless camera this year.

N7 is still the best body to shoot MF lenses.

I placed my pre-order too late and looks like I won't be getting one while I'm back here in the States :smith:

I gotta cancel or amend my order so the rest of my poo poo ships, bummed I'm not going to have the NEX-7 for my sister's wedding on Saturday though. Guess I'll put in an order for later.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
NEX-7 kits are available in Japan (where I live) and actually a fair bit cheaper, but the catch is the Japanese-only menus. I can deal with it, but it'd torpedo the resale value of the camera when I leave Japan. :sigh:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Costello Jello posted:

Couldn't you put English firmware on it?

Not until someone hacks it, apparently.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

HPL posted:

Also, a big downfall of using rangefinder lenses on a mirrorless is the huge minimum focus distance. Rangefinders just weren't meant for close up work.

That does suck, but someone finally made an NEX to M adapter that includes a helicoid for close focusing. I think it's like $180, but worth it if you've got some nice Leica glass.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

HPL posted:

With m43, you're going to have a hard time finding lenses in the wide to standard range unless you want to delve into c-mount lenses since even a 28mm is telephoto.

m4/3 doesn't alter the optical formula of the lens! :argh: :spergin:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

I find that kind of cultural evolution really interesting. I have even started to see "no photos" stickers on store windows (the picture of a camera in the red circle with a line through it) that now show stencils of what look like iPhones instead of "proper" cameras.

I wonder what they'd do if you rolled up in there with a field camera and a tripod and started setting up :v:

I'm a big fan of OP/TECH straps myself. I used to have the Artisan & Artist strap for my Bessa, but comfort-wise it was basically a hair shirt when I had the 50mm f/1.2 on it (somewhat weighty). I swapped it out for an OP/TECH and never looked back, currently rocking a similar-sized one on my NEX-3, and the beefy one on my Hassie.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 08:11 on May 2, 2012

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

HPL posted:

EDIT: $125 for a lens cap. Are you loving making GBS threads me?

Obviously you can't appreciate the ~*~gERmAn eNgInEeRiNg~*~ :smug:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

DJExile posted:

Olympus has officially announced their new 75mm f/1.8 for m4/3

Street price estimated at $899. Availability just listed as "Summer 2012".

If that price drops a bit (probably will), it's going to be really hard to resist getting an OM-D. Goddamn.

LiquidRain posted:

Sony Alpha Rumours is reporting that the standard zoom G lens for the NEX is going to be.....

17-50 f/3.5-f/5.6 OSS.

:eng99:

If true, there are simply no words.

Sony apparently came out with the NEX so it could troll people with it's terrible lens selection.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

PBio posted:

All I want is some really great photos of the Rockies, Grand Canyon, national parks etc. that I'm going to, as my current P&S is pretty bad for most photos.

Thanks!

I can tell you that you'll definitely want a telephoto for those places.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Being an NEX owner, it feels like every other mirrorless manufacturer really spoils their photographers with new lenses :sigh:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
How's the pancake kit zoom for m4/3? I took MY GIRLFRIEND camera shopping and she's pretty sold on getting one, but doesn't want the relative bulk of the standard kit.

Got my own research to do for her, but my MacBook is in the shop so it's kinda inconvenient right now,

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Mr. Despair posted:

Pentax Q: Camera of the future.

I snigger every time I walk by the Q display at Yodobashi.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

LiquidRain posted:

I have a friend who wants to buy a camera for her dad similar to what she saw me using with my NEX-7, but without spending the $1300 for a NEX-7. What m4/3rds camera should I recommend for an ol' coot? Something at or under $400 (with a lens) and performs well? I see a few Lumixes and Olympuses at that price. The father used to do a lot of film shooting and even his own development, so learning curve shouldn't be a big issue when it comes to the camera menu systems. Recommendations for models?

Tell her to figure out what film system her dad uses (assuming he still has his film stuff) and grab an adapter on eBay for it to go along with it. Even with the crop, guy would probably get a kick out of using his old lenses on a new camera,

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

HPL posted:

I wish Sony would get with it

I think it's going to have a fixed LCD, which is a bummer.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I don't get why people poo poo all over the Sony 16mm. It's not amazing, sure, but it's competent, decently-wide and compact, and not terribly expensive.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

HPL posted:

If the 35mm f/1.8 is anywhere even close to affordable, I'm hopping on that train ASAP.

I might too, as I just found out my 42mm f/1.2 must have gotten bashed up on my bag... aperture ring is dented in a little bit on one side and I can't adjust it, focus is a little stiff on the close-up end too :smith:

Nice to see Sony not being idiots.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Thors Banhammer posted:

Some words on SARS* says that full-frame e-mount cameras will be camcorders, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

*pun intended

Maybe not yet, but he seems pretty confident that an NEX version is in the works, probably for next year. If the camcorder goes with the hybrid E-mount (in crop mode)/A-mount setup, I'd expect the same from the still camera.

Personally, I'm with the SAR dude; Sony's been pushing the envelope with the NEX and then the SLT stuff, I wouldn't be surprised to see them come out with an FF mirrorless system when they're ready.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

FasterThanLight posted:

Do any of the current Fuji X cameras have anything like focus peaking and an electronic level overlay? Very tempted to sell my NEX-7 for an X-E1 now, but I think I'd miss those features.

IIRC the Fuji's are pretty bad for manual focusing. I'm still kinda torn between the NEX-7 and now the X-E1; I could see retiring my NEX-3 + Pen 42mm f/1.2 kit for an X-E1 with a 35mm f/1.4 that can autofocus, plus the Fuji kit lens beats out the Sony one. I like primes, but the convenience of a nice zoom (my 24-70L almost never left my 5D) is hard to ignore for travel. I know Sony's trying to turn their lovely E-mount lens selection problem around, but Fuji seems to be developing their system for experienced photographers rather than beginners, which in the end is probably going to suit my needs a lot better.

Thankfully I'm in no hurry, will have to try out an X-E1 when it hits stores and see how I like it.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

RustedChrome posted:

So all those rumors about a full frame NEX that were swirling around didn't make sense to most of us but I felt like something must be going on. Looks like Sony has a full frame fixed lens camera up thier sleeve instead.

http://photorumors.com/2012/09/09/breaking-sony-rx1-the-first-full-frame-compact-camera/

So it's more of an X-100 competitor with a Leica price. The picture quality had better be damned good for 3 grand.

Full-frame or not, Sony's going to have a hard time getting people to pay $2800 for one of those when the X100 exists.

It seems between this and the full-frame E-mount camcorder that a full-frame NEX is almost inevitable, but who knows when.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Bob Socko posted:

Assuming it's the same optical formula as the a-mount 35mm f/1.8, the image quality is worth the price - best price to performance ratio out of Sony's lineup. I see they added image stabilization as well. Add in a sturdier build than the a-mount version, and yeah, I see the path to $450. Still though, a number that started with a 3 would have been better.

I'm more excited about the NEX-6. It's got the best parts of a NEX-5 and a NEX-7, and the price is right. I'm really torn about replacing my backup / low light DSLR with it so that my backup body can also serve as a tiny travel camera, or replacing my primary DSLR with the a99. Guess I have a couple of months to think about it.

Yeah, I was initially a bit dismissive when I saw the price, but IS would be nice. My current low light walkaround is an Olympus 42mm f/1.2 on an adapter... I think I'd be OK with losing a stop and a half (or whatever) if it meant gaining AF and OSS. I do kinda like the longer reach of the 42mm though, makes it able to do an OK job at both portraits and general walkaround stuff.

Actually, I'm a terrible human being and haven't updated my NEX-3 for peaking, so maybe once I did that the AF wouldn't be quite so necessary. I'll have to fool around with the 35mm in the store when it comes out and see.

Definitely interested in the 18-50. I'm a little confused on the construction though, is it zoom-by-wire when the AF is engaged, or is it true mechanical zoom? If it's not the former, might cool my enthusiasm quite a bit.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Bob Socko posted:

Bad news, it's zoom-by-wire. I assume it's a compromise they made to keep the size down (less than a quarter inch when fully retracted). Per Sony's product page:

I feel like Sony just likes trolling me at this point.

Releases NEX system, is great! but there are no lenses
Comes out with NEX-7! Professional-ish NEX! Spotty initial availability in America, ones in Japan are Japanese-menu only, making resale value crap
Full frame! camcorder or really expensive, fixed-lens camera
Releases some new lenses expensive 35mm f/1.8 prime, new zoom lens I was interested is by wire

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

rio posted:

I guess they are competing with Leica in more ways than one.

Haha, that was what I thought. A couple years ago I bought an old Canon 35mm aux finder on eBay, cleaned the fungus out, and used it on my Bessa. Cost me like $25.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Anmitzcuaca posted:

:monocle: is there a wide-angle adapter ala X100 for it too? That would be amazing.

Perhaps not a high quality OEM one, but I'm sure you can get something that will screw on to the filter.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

ThisQuietReverie posted:

That's a smart plan considering the kit lens is supposed to be ~$700 by itself and ~$400 bundled with the X-E1. My problem is that the pros and cons of each sort of cancel each other out so I'm left with muddling through my "needs" to figure out which to get. The X100 has spoiled me, it is small and light and it removes all choice regarding focal length. What I can't decide on is whether I want to recreate that experience by coupling a body with a single, fixed lens or if I want to supplement with a zoom and adapted lenses.

Yeah, getting them bundled is the way to go. I want both the 35 f/1.4 and the zoom (well I want all of the X-mount lenses, but those prices, ouch), although the zoom is more important to me. Looking at completed auctions on eBay, it's most likely going to be easier/cheaper to pick up a secondhand 35mm than a zoom, and I've also already got a Pen 42mm f/1.2 lens that I really like on my NEX-3. My plan is to get the 35mm, shoot with both, then see which one I want to keep. Of course, if past experience is any indication, I'm going to figure out that each one has its own little niche and want to keep both :suicide:

I've been surprisingly happy with my NEX-3 and was originally planning on getting an NEX-7 when they came out, but Fuji seems like they take the X-system seriously, while Sony just kinda... yeah. Before I commit (sell off a bunch of stuff) I'd really like to handle an X-E1 in person, fortunately I live in Japan and I'm pretty sure they'll have a display model at Yodobashi. Tempted to order an X-mount adapter so I can test manual focusing lenses in the store (did that with the NEX-7), but I think impatience might win out here, as after this Friday I think it'd be two weeks or so before I could get down there again. I don't think it'll matter much if I'm doing it by wire, just need to see how good the EVF is.

My brain isn't working today, but basically I'm trying to figure out:
1) How good is the AF, especially in dimmer conditions? (would be relying on it for native-mount lenses, because at least in my experience focus-by-wire sucks). Even though I'm fine with manual focusing, I'm not going to get into a system that has pricey native mount glass that can't even autofocus well.
2) If I'm using a legacy MF lens, how easy is it to focus?
3) How I like the controls/size/whatever

I'm also probably the only person in the universe who cares about this, but I'm pretty stoked that the Fuji cameras also include PictBridge support. I've got this little battery-powered printer that prints business-card sized stickers directly from the camera, and it kills me I can't use it with my NEX (or any of the NEX line). It's always a hit when I bring it to parties/events with my 5D, and the greater portability of a mirrorless system would make it a lot less of a pain in the rear end to do so.

Especially after the RX-1, I feel like it's inevitable that Sony's going to release a full-frame interchangeable lens mirrorless camera in the next year or two, but I'm not going to wait around that long. I'd much rather buy something nice now, use it in the meantime, and just be out the several hundred dollars when I sell it to upgrade.

edit: checked Sony Alpha Rumors... are you loving kidding me, Carl Zeiss? I guess it's to be expected given the 24mm f/1.8, but lol @ paying 1000 euros for a 50mm f/2.8 without stabilization. I'll be over here with a Macro-Nikkor, an eBay adapter, and $900 in my pocket.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 31, 2012

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

TheAngryDrunk posted:

That was a long post.

Yeah, was basically good for nothing but posting nonsense on the internet this morning after two successive nights of less than 6 hours of sleep.

RustedChrome posted:

At least you have a place nearby to do a hands-on. The only way I can see one is to order it.

Unless something else comes up I'll probably head to Fukuoka on Friday to try and get a look at it, anything in particular you'd like me to try?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Yodobashi :argh:

Have the X-E1 on display with the kit. Ok, cool. Have the three primes sitting next to it on tethers. Go to mount the 35mm f/1.4 and there's cardboard and stuff inside the lens. They're nonfunctional display models. Down the row is the X-Pro1, with the 35mm f/1.4 mounted, also tethered, and they're too far away to get one on the other.

Overall impression is fairly positive so far. Ideally I guess I'd like to rent one for a weekend first, but that kinda sucks in Japan AFAIK.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 4, 2012

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I'm kinda pissed off at Sony and Fuji for making such good cameras and making me choose between them :argh:

Had a half hour to kill before dinner in Fukuoka last night, so I popped into Yodobashi again. They had the NEX-6, which was pretty nice. The power zoom is OK... I don't hate it as much as I thought I would, but I'd much rather have Fuji's f/2.8-4 zoom instead (I remember there's supposedly a pro-ish zoom coming out for E-mount eventually, although I'm sure it'll be at lollerskates Zeiss prices). No interest in the new wide zoom, personally. I'm tempted to hold out for whatever succeeds the NEX-7, but the back dial on my NEX-3 is almost unusable at this point, and I'm thinking I probably wouldn't be out too much money if I bought a used NEX-7 and resold it whenever the new one comes out.

Seems like Fuji has the edge in glass as well as in image quality (not that the NEX's are bad), but I'd miss the articulating LCD on the NEX dearly, prefer the form factor of the NEX-6 and 7, and I think I'd be OK with a regular zoom, the 16mm for the occasional wide stuff, and a fast prime (non Sony, manual focus) for what I use digital for these days. Based on what they've been doing with their Alpha DSLR's and now with stuff like the RX-1, I think In the long term I also think Sony's going to have the more interesting system, and could see the advantage of selling my Canon stuff and moving to an Alpha DSLR for the occasional pro gig I get down the line, and having the NEX to use those lenses with on an adapter.

They had an RX-1 out that I played with too. It's really nice, but not enough to drop 2.5x what I paid for my car on it :supaburn:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Beastruction posted:

I have a Minolta Bellows III and a slide copier attachment that I used on my 5N a few times. I think the quality was ok (with the absolute minimum of effort and terrible lighting) but it was hard to get the right reproduction ratio, with the 50mm 1.7 it starts at almost 1:1 (too much for APS-C) and I bought a 135 to get out to 1:3 but it turned out that was still with like a half meter minimum focus distance so it wouldn't work with the slide copier. The manual doesn't list focus distances for the lenses and the 50mm was good enough to get my Nishika pictures onto the computer so I never investigated further, and now I don't have a NEX and do have a film scanner.

The slide copier was definitely faster, though.

I built one at my old job around a 5D2, eBay macro rail, and a 90mm Vivitar Series 1 Macro + slide copier in OM mount, worked pretty well. Doesn't really help you though :v:

Slide Digitization Station by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
So after being away for the better part of two months, my Zuiko 42mm f/1.2 came back to me as "unrepairable". Place didn't charge me, but still... poo poo. IDK if I'll buy another one, I got mine at a pretty steep discount due to some "fungus" and an engraving.

Sony, why does your native lens selection have to suck so much rear end? I also finally updated the firmware on my OG NEX-3. Want to say the AF has gotten worse

:negative: