Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

Full frame is necessary because Sony just put out a full frame X100 and Fuji's worried it'll eat into their sales.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DSC-RX1-Cybershot-Full-frame-Digital/dp/B0097CXFCC

Agree with the other guys- I don't see enthusiasts spending almost $3000 on a fuji full frame unless it's exquisite. Maybe after another 2 iterations if they continue taking feedback to heart and improve things greatly.

Is the RX1 selling well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
So after using my xpro1 over the holidays-- I really don't like it as much as I thought I would. I might sell the 35 1.4 and try the 18/2 for a bit to see if the FOV is more to my liking and a saving grace for the camera-- but the AF still isn't all that great, raws have problems in Lightroom, and I'd rather not take too large of a $ hit for a camera I'm not in love with.

I liked the X100 way more-- so I'm not sure if I'm willing to keep a larger and more expensive camera to do act relatively the same (xpro + 18/2). Might even sell it this week before Fuji announces their X100s/x200 next week-- but either way, this isn't the camera I was hoping it would be.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah everything is current. It's a nice camera- but everything sort of adds up and results in a slight disappointment for me- it's not an improvement over the X100 at all, the EVF still isn't very good, the autoISO leaves a lot of room for improvement. I'm tempted to try the OM-D to see if the compromises it makes are closer to what I'm looking for- but I think the 2012 mirrorless cameras just aren't for me.

I might try the Sony nex6 and see if that handles things more towards what I'm looking for.

e: I think the RX1 would honestly be the best, but I'm not buying it at anywhere near the current price. $1500-1800 is probably the highest I'd really consider for the time being.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
That's hilarious and you're a little bit worse than me with regards to gear acquisition syndrome.

I kept and have been moderately happy with my 5d2 and 1d2 for well over a year now- but as they're large and heavy, I wanted smaller cameras to take for travel, outings, restaurants etc.

I basically want something that can give me the AF speed/accuracy of the OM-D (I'd prefer 1d2+ quality focus ability but being realistic with regards to mirrorless cameras), a 1.4-1.8-2~ pancake lens with good sharpness, good ISO3200+ would be nice, and a built in flash for emergency use when I can't setup flashes but want to get a shot. Pocketability would be nice, but I always have a bag with me, so it's not a dealbreaker.

The next things are just general wants so that I could be perfectly happy with just a 1Ds2, and not lust over a 1d3/5d3/1d4/et.al: Ability to mount ef-s lens, ability to use off camera lighting, focus peaking, good quality LCD screen -- I plan to do more food photography so if I could get all this in my mirrorless, I would probably get rid of my 5d2 without any problems.

My Sony Nex5n covers almost everything well enough, except the stupid nonstandard hotshoe- so I was tempted to pick up a nex6 as a stop-gap.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

krackmonkey posted:

Fuji peeps, check this link, you may find it very interesting
http://www.fujifilm.eu/uk/news/article/news/announcing-fujifilms-new-finepix-hs50exr-long-zoom-camera-1/

While it's obviously not the X100s, if you peek at the feature set, I think it provides a very compelling preview into what sort of under the hood changes to expect in the X100s - highlights include focus peaking(!!!), hybrid AF(!!!), and maybe a slim chance of the OIS making it in there somehow? I know what my carry camera is going to be, if my gut is correct on this one. MONDAY COME NOW!

Very tempting indeed.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

HPL posted:

I know I pimp out the NEX 5N hard around here, but seriously, if you want a tiny camera with excellent low-light performance, the 5N with the 16mm lens is pretty much unbeatable. It's good up to ISO 6400 with good software like DxO Optics Pro and can even go to 12800 with satisfactory results. The firmware update last year tightened up the AF performance quite a bit too. The 5N performs so well that my DSLR is a paperweight these days.

It is pretty great. My only issues were no built in evf, and the external evf is so bulky I don't like it (nice performance, but that mount sucks and feels like I might break it accidentally), and no real flash hotshoe.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

AndrewP posted:

I've been considering getting the 16. I really WANT to, because I want that pancake form factor, but I've heard that its a mediocre lens. I am a true novice to photography so maybe I wouldn't notice it. But it's $250 bucks that I don't want to spend if there's a better option.

Buy it used, it can be found between $100-140 on forums- it was also on slick deals recently as cheap as $150 from eBay camera sellers as a deal of the day.

e: Not vouching for these sellers, but:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1178397/0?keyword=16mm,2.8#11233077
$130 brand new in box

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1178175/0?keyword=16mm,2.8#11230851
$100 but sold very quickly

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 7, 2013

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Is there no release date for the x100s?

e: End of march?

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 7, 2013

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Day 1 purchase right there. Looks like it's taken care of all the issues I ever had with the camera (We'll see how it actually handles but that video was super promising).

The only thing I'm looking more forward to is the Xpro2/3 once more lenses from the system are put out- a tilt shift, a 1.4 pancake/1.8 pancake.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

ThisQuietReverie posted:

I never take my cameras out of silent mode so I'm not a flash user but to my recollection, the modes available are offered based on the camera mode, yes.

In unrelated news I had a chance to try out the X-Pro in a concert venue type situation. Pointed at the stage was fine as there was light but near-inky darkness crowd shots and backlit heads confused the autofocus more than half of the time. It did better than I expected but if concert photography is your thing I would look elsewhere.

Yeah for concert stuff you often have to zone focus because its hard to lock focus, even at f/1.4 with a prosumer or higher end model.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

bobfather posted:

That kind of poo poo support would cause me to boycott a company.

Yeah that makes me second guess if I want to buy an X100s from them, even if its the best camera- I don't want to enable a company with such poo poo support. The product is like 2 years old.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
So it was a language translation error and they probably meant you're not covered for free repair under warranty service or something- that's good. I can still support the company making cameras I'm interested in.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
As long as you don't need flash, the 5n is pretty good. If you want to do off camera flash, or studio flash or anything else- it's got that crappy sony hotshoe thing on it. Overall, I like the 5n, it's a lot of fun- the only real downsides are the hotshoe and lack of pancakey good lenses to take advantage of the size- but since you're just adapting, it's awesome.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

RustedChrome posted:

Do you have some medium format lenses? Do you want more megapickles on your NEX?
How about 140?

*Medium format dof not included.

That's very awesome but unfortunately not a price I would pay for it. If they drop to $200 I'm getting one though because it seems like great fun.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Kalix posted:

I've been thinking about getting my feet into photography for a while -- I am in Pegnose Pete's situation.
A beginner, been eyeing the X100 forever, but not sure if it's the right move versus something like the Xe-1 with multiple lenses.

I envision using my camera for everyday use, but also outdoors (maybe hiking?) and traveling.
I definitely like the idea of light -- I never wanted a DSLR because I could definitely see myself not wanting to be burdened by it.

I get that the X100 is good for street photography -- but I'm mainly concerned about the travel aspect. My guess is it would be fine. It's also a large chunk of change -- the most I would have ever spent on a camera by far.

Would it be fine for a new photographer? My pockets aren't lined with cash or anything, I've just read a lot of good things about this camera that appeal to me and make me want to upgrade from a normal point and shoot. Or should I look elsewhere?

It's a fantastic camera with a few drawbacks that may or may not actually bother you, especially if you haven't used any pro camera bodies, or macro lenses, or other high end equipment. The only potential problem with buying an X100 right now is that the X100S is coming very soon (available in Asia right now, I think)- and the market will soon be flooded with tons of X100 cameras- so you might save another $50-100 (discounted cash as well as extra batteries/accessories) by waiting a month in order to purchase it.

e: It's not pocketable for most people, but if you don't mind wearing it on a strap/wristlet/bag, it's very easy to carry around.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

whatever7 posted:

Zeiss is getting very ambitious btw, 3 mirrorless lens plan for both NEX and Fuji. In other words, Zeiss has its own lens AF solution.

I don't think Zeiss ever had a problem with AF- it's more that they refuse to attempt to reverse engineer Canon/Nikon AF (possibly putting out a subpar product). Sony and Fuji are much more open to Zeiss as they really want those magic lenses to entice people.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Everybody who asked how much my x100 was (because they wanted to buy one) was like holy poo poo thats expensive for a point and shoot. I just say that yeah it is.

I prefer using it over my 5d2 and 35 1.4 L for daily stuff though, and for that, it's well worth it.

e: But I'm heavily considering selling my 5d2, 35L, xpro1, and some other stuff. I don't shoot very much and my x100 will be more than enough for 90% of my shooting.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
It's fairly light, tiny, sharp, and super cheap. Great lens overall.

Not the quickest focusing lens, but this might be due to the Sony 5N I use.

Downsides: Not a pancake, f/2.8 rather than f/2

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
That shouldn't be too surprising- they need the AF to be as good as the x100s, and making it speedier (and more lenses) are the only complaints about it. I'm not sure they'll actually make June if we're hearing (potential) rumors about it now- but sometime in summer is likely.

e: The only real complaint is that the RAWs are far worse than jpegs, even still.

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 10, 2013

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

ThisQuietReverie posted:

A new X-Pro release a year later seems like foolishness, especially after the X-E1 backlash where a segment of X-Pro 1 buyers felt cheated out of the nicer EVF.

Model refreshes too often lead to this:

True- but they're also in a precarious position in that they have an amazing camera that's almost perfect, but the downsides can be a deal breaker. If they are releasing the updates, it's going to be because they don't want to get their market stolen by any of the other evil cameras. Nikon and Canon aren't competing, so it's pretty much Oly, Fuji, and Sony, and losing dominance might hurt them in the long run.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Definitely a nice alternative to the X100S based purely on the marketing video- but we'd need to see actual performance to determine how viable it is.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

whatever7 posted:

You know this camera let me preview with a smartphone it would be perfect.

Probably doable with a wifi SD card.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Costello Jello posted:

I've just been checking out the Ricoh forum on dpreview. Good God, they are so loving autistic.

Pretty much every enthusiast forum is. SA is one of the few that is halfway decent- and that's because of the mods/$10 cost to troll.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
If I could actually buy an X100s, I probably would have already. I'm leaving for a trip Wednesday and none of my pre-orders/waitlist for the X100s have shipped out yet. Since it's loving impossible to get in stock, I've been considering the Ricoh GR that's coming out in like two days- if I can get one while I'm out of town, I probably will. It's a lot smaller and looks like it's going to be enough for a travel camera for me. I really loved my X100 though :(.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Costello Jello posted:

Well, I got an email today saying my Ricoh GR just shipped, so it looks like there aren't going to be any Fuji x100 kind of supply problems for this camera. Maybe there's less demand for it than it seems from the enthusiasm for the GR on the internet? Or maybe they just have got their manufacturing down better. I ordered mine weeks after pre-ordering started, yet mine is shipping before the official release date, so it looks like everybody who wanted one should be pretty happy.

Is it before the official release date? When I was looking at it on B&H it said May 15th estimated arrival- but now there is no date on it.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Ordered one. If only i could find the ef -> ef-m adapter for $50-70 I'd buy one right away.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Got my EOS M in the mail today. Absolutely going to replace my nex 5N.

Pros:
Great IQ
Focus is fast enough (for my uses, but I have a camera for action oriented events- the right tool for the job)- The Fuji X100 had worse focus accuracy (parallax mis-focuses and slow/inaccurate low light focus) and similar/slower focusing. While I loved the X100- it was extremely frustrating that whenever I handed it off to somebody to photograph me and my girlfriend, the photograph was quite often mis-focused- both when taken with live view, and optical view finder.
Smaller than my 5N with Sigma 30 2.8
Full stop faster (2 vs 2.8).

Cons:
Even with my (smallish) hands, it's a little bit cramped. Will definitely be awkward to use when I'm taking photos all day (Much more likely to use one of my actual cameras for that though)
No built in flash- I liked this about the Fuji X100- It's nice to have. When handing off camera to a waiter or something, I'd rather stop down to 5.6 or so and turn on flash than leave it at f/2 1600 ISO and hope that they got everybody in focus.
Battery? Not sure yet, but I know I'll be getting at least 1 spare for extended trips.
The connectors to put a strap on are weird- I might have to do something to get one of my comfy straps onto it.

--

I really wanted to get a Fuji X100s, or maybe a Ricoh GR as my travel camera- but for only $300 (with lens), it's even better than I thought it would be. I suspect most people who bitch about the camera have not tried the new firmware, or are just parroting what they read/saw in videos.

I might sell my 5d2 and relegate myself to 1d2 (or 1ds2) and EOS M. The only reason I was stuck on my 5d2 was for live view usage with my tilt shift lens (something I can do with the EOS M- pocket wizards are available for use because of a real hotshoe, and I can mount EF lenses on it). After the summer is through I'll have a much more thorough idea as to whether or not this is the mirrorless for me.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

BetterLekNextTime posted:

e: tried out my 3rd party adapter and it doesn't work. dang.

Which one did you get? Thats why I'm considering buying the real Canon for $100~

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
People were thinking that they're saving it for a kit when the successor is announced.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Where are you seeing the canon one for $100? It's $175 on amazon.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EF-EOS-M-Mount-Adapter-Ring-For-EF-Lens-/290909317557?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item43bb8be9b5

People who ordered it on the 3rd/4th received it today and say it was a legit Canon box and works perfectly. Some of them got it for $85 on the first day of the sale, but they're all pretty much $100+ now. (At one point they were like $60/70, before the sale, but white box removed from a kit).

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
The M launched in way too high of a price bracket for what it was. In the $800+ range, it's honestly poo poo. The quality is quite good, the size is amazing, the UI is very nice (albeit too touch oriented), but the handling was utter trash. In retrospect, I'm sure they realize that they made too many mistakes/compromises (at least for the US as a market) because they did not want to hurt their entry level dSLRs.

There is no way they are going to shelve it permanently- it probably cost a metric poo poo ton to develop a new mount and get everything set up. Ignoring the US and giving it over to Nikon, Sony, and Fuji would probably be a really bad business move for the rest of their business.

e: I got a chance to use my M yesterday a bit more, and everybody I was with was pretty impressed when they used it. Haven't really seen reactions like that since I had a fuji X100.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Anyone still looking for an EF M adapter:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/11110934842...fepn=5337259887

Just accepted an offer of $90. They sold over 100~ of them and they appear to be legit OEM ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

whatever7 posted:

For people who have the EOS M + pancake combo, I got this 43mm 3 stop Polaroid neutral density filter for $1! from Amazon. Free shipping.

I got it today and it seem to work fine. You have to set custom white balance but thats it.

One dallaz.

Thanks bro. Just bought one