Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Someone tell me about that Ricoh setup because goddamn that is crazy :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I was going to say, the closest you might come to a mirrorless camera in the "regular" DSLR world is the Olympus E-410 but even that's notably larger.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I would imagine battery life would really depend on how much use you're putting the screen though as well, live view puts a pretty good drain on mine (E: my E-30, I don't have an x100...... yet) if I'm using it for a good number of shots.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

After missing out on a nicer one that went for over $500 last week, I picked this one up today for a bit less than half that. As long as it's not a total dog and I find the somewhat oddball focal length works for me, I think I'm going to get a lot of mileage out of this baby.

Oh that is cool as hell.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Radbot posted:

E-PL1 refurb w/ kit lens at Cameta for $299! Should I get it? I've always wanted to try an m4/3rds camera.

To get started in m4/3 that's a very good deal.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FWIW, a lot of people in the Oly thread have varying m4/3 cameras if you want some ideas over there. We just keep to ourselves and don't really bother anybody :shobon:

All 5 of us :smith:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Crossposting (somewhat), a guy on the sidelines of the Cincinnati/NC State game last night let me see his EP-3 PEN with a regular 4/3 7-14mm f/4 lens. I have to say, these cameras are a lot more comfortable to hold then I thought they might be. The add-on electronic viewfinder was a neat touch as well.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

moonduck posted:

Olympus has a 4/3 35-100 f/2.8 that people rave about. It is, however, in the same cost stratosphere (or close to) as its 35mm equivalents from Canon and Nikon. And again, it's built for 4/3, not m4/3.

It's an f/2.0 :eng101:

and it owwwwnnnnns :frogc00l:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

My town is in festival mode right now and I am out every night stalking naked dudes in the street who are chanting and dancing and stuff.

This sounds like quite the festival.

what's up with the lack of RAW? That seems odd.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

I guess cos it's still only out in Asia and Adobe is just being slow.

I had to wait a couple weeks when I got my E-P1, too.

Aaah, I was reading it wrong. I thought it'd only been programmed to shoot JPEGs or something and was about to pull the biggest :psyduck: ever.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Really want to see some pictures from it, even if they're just jpegs :f5:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Well holy crap, this is a pretty cool site to have on hand

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I had no idea the market/selection for m4/3 lenses was so large already. God drat.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

Will try and put some video samples up soon too. When is the US release date for this drat camera? I want my RAW support.

Wow that 17 is nice.

I believe it's supposed to release in the states by the end of April, but I don't recall an exact date.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

RustedChrome posted:

I couldn't get a comfortable hold on it. I would definitely have to get the battery grip if I got one. I'm sure I'd overcome the look/feel of it if I had one but my desire for it has been safely quenched for now. My wallet can rest.

That's probably the one thing that was giving me pause. The thing seems so crazy thin that it wouldn't be comfortable to hold.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DPReview loves the OM-D EM-5

quote:

The E-M5 is, without question, the most accomplished Micro Four Thirds camera we've yet seen and, given how well established the system has become, it vies for the title of most capable mirrorless option yet. It's not entirely without flaws and, predictably, most of those relate to continuous autofocus. But, for the most part, the E-M5 is simply an awful lot of camera in a compact and attractive body. It's a nice camera to use and the images it takes are just as enjoyable. Without any reservations whatsoever, it deserves our Gold Award.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spog posted:

Could be a shop owner who really hates Instagram.

I would visit that shop every day.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

keyframe posted:

You guys remember the upcoming Leica conference where they will announce new products and people were hoping for Leica to come to their senses and release fuji x100/ x-pro 1 alternatives?

yea...about that

http://leicarumors.com/2012/05/10/new-leica-products-leaked-leica-m-monochrome-x2-50mm-cron.aspx/

$8000 camera that only shoots black and white :bravo:

Good lord :stare:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Olympus has officially announced their new 75mm f/1.8 for m4/3

Street price estimated at $899. Availability just listed as "Summer 2012".

If that price drops a bit (probably will), it's going to be really hard to resist getting an OM-D. Goddamn.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Something black that says OM-D on the front is sitting behind me now, waiting for the battery to charge. :D

Not thrilled with the location of the playback button, but other than that, wow.

Hell yes :toot: What are your impressions so far?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

HPL posted:

gently caress that. I was messing around with m43 cameras the other day. It's stupid because you pick up the camera and think: "Oh, it's a pretty good size" and then you realize you have to extend the lens to use it even at its widest setting and it becomes stupid because you've got this tiny camera with a lens so long that you could turn it sideways and people would think you've got a monopod mounted on it.

The kit lens on the Nikon One was like that, I believe.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Studebaker Hawk posted:

Fuji press release for their lens roadmap, almost makes me want to ditch my NEX-5N (which I really love).

http://www.fujirumors.com/full-fuji-lens-roadmap-and-press-release/

An f/2.4? :confused:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Well I learned something today.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Those of you that have had the OM-D system, how have you liked it? Some of the glass available makes it look really tempting, especially the 17mm lenses and that 75mm f/1.8

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

alkanphel posted:

Very very much. There isn't much reason not to like the OM-D, except unless you really need accurate continuous focus or very very clean high ISO. Prints decently to A3+ as well.

Cacator posted:

I replaced my E-P3 with it and never looked back. I prefer it to any of the other mirrorless cameras I've handled. I have the Panasonic 25mm f1.4 on it most of the time. I've been using it for a lot of video work lately, but that's more due to the excellent image stabilization since it's not a video oriented camera.

Thanks, y'all own. I'm offloading some of my 4/3 gear and going to pick one of these up with an adapter so I can still use my 7-14mm and 35-100 f/2.0 :toot:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

E^^^ drat that is one hell of a title.

My OM-D and 45mm f/1.8 arrive tomorrow :toot:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Holy poo poo this camera :stare::fh:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

:woop:

and hey, have a look at it with the 45mm f/1.8 versus an OM-1 with 50mm f/1.4

Old monsoon speakers hell yeah :slick:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Someone tell me about the wide options for the m4/3 system. Reviews seem good to mixed on the 17mm f/2.8. For around $200 used, is it that bad of a lens?

And someone tell me about that 15mm f/8 body cap lens because for $50 it sounds like a hoot.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

These MFT lenses are way too goddamn big, what the gently caress i can't carry this anywhere

:mad:

E: I mean come on!

DJExile fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 14, 2012

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh man those of you who recommended the 45mm f/1.8, you were not kidding. This thing rules.

12 by PhotoBen27, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hahaha he's not mine, he's a friend's son. His older brother was in a hockey game that the family wanted me to shoot. I got that in the locker room afterwards.

Adorable kid though. :buddy:

02 by PhotoBen27, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Body cap lens for Christmas gently caress yeah! :toot::greatgift:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Someone tell me about the Panasonic Lumix 100-300mm f/4.0-5.6 OIS. This looks like an awesome travel lens.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

You can turn off the touchscreen functions on the OM-D, and it bears mentioning that while the OM-D's body is sealed, I think only two current lenses (The kit and the 60mm macro) are sealed as well.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Anyone have the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7? How do you like it?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ttam posted:

I have one on an OM-D and I love it. It's the best walk-around lens I've ever used.

The combination is so good I might as well superglue it in place.

Sweet, I remember loving my old E-410 and 25mm f/2.8 combo for the regular 4/3 as a walkaound.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dkennedys8 posted:

If anyone is looking for a 4/3 adapter to m4/3 for Oly. Amazon has the MMF-3 for $110 and there is an Olympus rebate (as a Visa gift Card) for $50 on it.

Link To MMF-3

Link To Rebate

drat it, right after I got one myself.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Olympus' Facebook page is announcing a 75-300mm f/4.8-6.7 as what looks like an affordable alternative to the 100-300mm. They're listing MSRP at $550.

It's killing me that they're putting out these really nice lenses but only like 2 of them are weather sealed, and one of them is the kit lens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mr. Despair posted:

I would love a k-01 if it had an EVF and didn't look like a brick. That said I've been leaning more and more towards an om-d this week, it seems like an om-d with the battery grip would let me have a nice sized camera to throw my flash on and do macro work with during the summer, but at the same time I could put a very small lens on (even the body cap lens) and have a very compact camera that I could bring with me all the time.

The nex-6 (or 7) seems like a really good choice too, but I'm just not sure the bigger sensor is worth the loss of weather sealing and IBIS.

I'm going to borrow my friends nex-c3 and see if I like the form factor or if I should stick with an om-d (which seems a lot closer to an ME Super, which I do like).

For what (little) it's worth, I've loved the poo poo out of my OM-D and the 60mm is probably next on the list. It's also I think currently the only other weather sealed lens for the OM-D aside from the kit lenses, which is mind-boggling to me after they touted the body's sealing so much.