Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Rock My Socks! posted:

You mean the Sigma 30 or the Panny 25?

Sorry, the sigma.

The panasonic by most measures is a good lens but I keep hearing that even for its bigger aperture, you really have to stop them down to get solid results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Oly 60mm f/2.8 macro is aaaallllll over the used market and there's no reason to pay full price for it. It's a fabulous macro lens.

Same with the 12mm, there are tons of used and refurb ones out there.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The olympus outlet (basically their refurb/reconditioned stuff) has a 20% discount today with code "LEAPYEAR".

Knocks down some of the body and lens prices fairly well, especially the new 2x teleconverter.

I know i'm basically the only olympus shooter left, but hey

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

the 150-400mm oly has been spotted and it is huge and dumb and probably expensive as hell and I'm totally going to get ittttt

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yesssss lmao this is extremely my poo poo

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

So I caved and got the E-M1 mk iii and am loving it so far. I have a quick question though, since this is my first camera with dual card slots - I set it so that it saves raw to one card and jpeg to the other - but if I want to delete a photo, I have to do it separately on both. Is there any way to sync them up like that, or no?

I don't think so. You can set which card you want showing when you hit play/preview but I think delete is also locked to only that card you're showing.

E: it may also depend on how you're saving them (same to both with/without switching over, save to just one then switch when full, etc)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oly misses the boat on quite a few things but the torture tests of their bodies and pro lenses is impressive as hell. I've run their stuff through hell at those spartan races and none of them skipped a beat. The 40-150mm f/2.8 is drat near bulletproof.

And yeah I think we're at the point that anything past the standard cheap kit lenses can stand up to rain fine, but you really don't want a bunch of grit and dust in there.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I've posted my olympus coated in mud and sweat and water and probably body fluids plenty more times than anyone here wanted

but yeah Oly durability is A+

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmao sup teach

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Helen Highwater posted:

It's not just that they are manually focussing, the bigger problem is that there's no way for the camera to control the aperture of the lenses, and those lenses don't have aperture control rings, so you can only shoot wide open.

Edit, also those are pretty much garbage lenses too. Both of the zooms are super old kit lenses, and the 50 is the cheapest first-party lens that Canon ever made.

Yeah this is the big thing. That adapter is the most basic "make lens kinda work on body" type, and those kit zooms are throwaways.

That being said, you can poke around and find far better lenses pretty easily on the used market. Leica's stuff can command a premium because leica owners can be lunatics (y'know that discussion in the watch thread about rear end in a top hat Rolex owners? same thing) but poke around and you can find some good stuff.

On the other hand, if you like the GX85, you could sell that Leica body for a tidy sum and there is a mountain of m4/3 lenses available on the used market that would run well for you.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

You are 1,000% getting scammed

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The 12-40mm f/2.8 is a fabulous lens and can be found used everywhere these days. I've heard good things about the 12-45 f/4 as well and I believe that's weather sealed.

The 12mm f/2.0 can be found used very easily and is a great tiny prime.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Olympus is doing a big rear end outlet/refurb sale today

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

dammit does this mean the 150-400mm is dead because I will be so mad

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hell yeah

quote:

Furthermore, to make super telephoto shooting more convenient and to fulfill the growing needs of birding and wildlife photographers, development is underway to newly add Bird Detection capability to Olympus’ Intelligent Subject Detection Autofocus on the OM-D E-M1X camera. This new feature will be available for the E-M1X via a firmware update that is scheduled for release in Winter 2020.

HELL YEAH :toot:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

the Olympus targeted AF thing is some deep-learning system they originally made to look for trains, cars, and... I think like motorcycle helmets. I always wondered if they'd expand on it and doing it for birding is loving amazing.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Olympus overall shortcoming in sensor size is where it really shines in wildlife and sports. Getting a stupid amount of reach (and IBIS) on a very small body with light lenses is a godsend. You can get way up in on subjects without disturbing them.

PA200497 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

PA200467 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

Likewise with sports, especially the bigger field sports like lacrosse, soccer, or football, where you're going to need as much reach as you can get.

BRW64429 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BRW64084 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Olympus has released the 100-400mm f/5.0-6.3 IS.

The crazy pro version, 150-400mm F4.5 TC1.25x IS PRO should be out this winter.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Sync-IS would easily have added at least a few hundred dollars to the price and I'm guessing they don't want it competing as much with the higher end one that's coming this winter.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Anecdotal evidence and all that, but my EM1X having both wifi and Bluetooth seems to far more reliably connect to my phone than my other models that only had wifi.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

23 Skidoo posted:

I'm looking at purchasing a new camera for my birthday in a few months, currently have an Olympus E-M10 Mark II and was tossing up between an Olympus E-M1 Mark III or a Sony A7R mark II. I'm somewhat invested in M4/3 and own 5 lenses (30 and 60mm macro, 14-42mm pancake, 40-150mm 4-5.6. Love the portability, weight and largely am pleased with the results and use it for street photography, macro and I want to get into astrophotography (already have a 12mm samyang f2).

Wildly different cameras, similar costs, except when it comes to buying new lenses to achieve results.
I shoot manual, don't really rely upon AF for macro or street photography, but would likely use the Starry Sky AF with the Olympus for astrophotography (if Stage 4 lockdown in Victoria ever ends).

Bit concerned about the price of lenses if I go Sony, whereas I have a complement of lenses if I stick with M4/3.

Also planning on buying either a lens for bird watching Oly 70-300 4-5.6 or Oly 75mm 1.8 for portraiture and a flash for macro/general usage (Oly fl-700wr) or a pro lens, specifically either the 12-40mm for general usage or 7-14mm for architecture/street photography (quite like the wide angle look and nature of the latter).

If I went the Sony, I'd probably just buy the 90mm FE macro and then save up for other lenses.
I'm pretty sure I should just stick with the Oly, but what says the Dorkroom? Is there another camera/system I'm missing out on?

The Oly 75mm f/1.8 is phenomenal, and if you don't want to spend quite as much, the 45mm f/1.8 is a really good small portrait lens about the size of a golf ball. The 12-40mm Pro is a great walk-around. I only sold mine because i'm typically on the longer end of things. A friend owns the 7-14mm for landscapes and raves about it. The 75-300mm has been around for quite a while so you should be able to find it used fairly easily. It's a bit slow as the aperture would indicate, but if you're in solid enough light you should be good. IBIS on the EM1 series is fantastic and that will definitely help.

I had the EM1 Mk2 and loved it. Built like a tank, and i'm sure the Mk3 is really good as well. I'm the one lunatic the EM1-X was basically tailor made for so I made the jump to that.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

What kind of macro shots are you taking? I've had the 60mm f/2.8 for like 8 years now and it's been fantastic. If you're a huge macro shorter and you've got a need then go for it, but if you've got other things you're shooting that money may be better spent on something else.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

n'thing Tenba bags. They're very good.

E: and yeah peak design bags look plenty nice but they absolutely scream "steal me"

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

I just got my X-T3 working with Zoom but now I’m concerned: will using an X-T3 as a webcam meaningfully shorten the lifespan of the camera in any way?

edit: I realize it’s kind of a dumb question. They’re made to record video. I’m just trying to understand how that impacts the sensor vs normal photo operations.

As long as it isn't overheating I can't imagine there would be a problem. I could maybe see it wearing on the batteries but not the camera itself.

Also since Olympus was cancelling their rewards/points program that I didn't even realize I had, I redeemed what i had towards their macro flash and this should be a whole lot of fun.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah don't be That Guy. Losing your job because you wanted some clicks would be profoundly stupid, doubly so at a time when finding work is incredibly difficult to do.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah for all the legit knocks on Olympus, their sealing is absolutely phenomenal.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Olympus 150-400mm f/4.5 PRO is out. Built in 1.25x TC, loving EIGHT stops of IS when synched up with the body, 4lbs, and just over a foot long. I'll also never be able to afford it.

Related, EM1X is getting a firmware update that will include :woop: BIRD DETECTION AUTOFOCUS :woop:

E: Firmware update is December 2nd. Details:

quote:

E-M1X Version 2.0

Bird detection AF has been added to Intelligent Subject Detection AF.
RAW video output to external equipment is now supported.
Compatible external device: ATOMOS NINJA V HDR monitor recorder.
Focus Stacking Mode is now compatible with the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 150-400mm F4.5 TC1.25x IS PRO lens.
Video image stabilization has been improved.
Focus indicator display is now available during manual focusing.

And for the EM1 Mk iii:

quote:

INCLUDED IN FIRMWARE VERSION 1.2
RAW video output to external equipment is now supported.
*Compatible external device: ATOMOS NINJA V HDR monitor recorder.
Focus Stacking Mode is now compatible with the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 150-400mm F4.5 TC1.25x IS PRO lens.
Focus indicator display is now available during manual focusing.

And EM1 mk ii:

quote:

E-M1 Mark II Version 3.4

DJExile fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Nov 17, 2020

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

uXs posted:

Why are these huge lenses always white instead of black?

Heat absorption can become an issue at that size. Supposedly Olympus has some manner of heat shielding layered in the paint but who knows if that's marketing bullshit or what.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Now that I have both the 1.4x and 2x teleconverter along wiht the 300mm f/4, there's no reason I could justify buying that 150-400 but god drat if I'm not gonna rent the poo poo out of it for a weekend of bird shots or an air show.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spankmeister posted:

That food is obviously cooked.

Lol perfect

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'll get some pictures up when I can, but holy fuckin' poo poo my EM1X updated the firmware to include Bird Detection autofocus and it is absolutely phenomenal. I am never turning it off.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Olympus has announced an 8-25mm f/4.0 PRO lens

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ugh whatever jeez posted:

I don't really like f/4 lenses on m4/3 system but that seems like a really sweet lens.

A buddy of mine does a ton of hiking in the rockies and takes wide landscapes with that hi-res shooting mode on his EM1mk2 and I feel like he is going to absolutely love this.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

23 Skidoo posted:

Curious for my wallet if there's a point from upgrading from the 75-300mm to the 100-400mm Olympus lenses? I use it primarily for animals and birds.

The extra 200mm equivalency would be nice, and I would like to pick up the TC 2 for some moon shots.

I've heard the 100-400 is pretty great but you're going to lose a whoooollle lot of light with the 2x TC

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pablo Bluth posted:

Get the 150-400 f/4.5 you cheapskates! Don't you care about photography?!!

IM SAVIN UP GAT DAMMIT

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

23 Skidoo posted:

Decided to get the 40-150mm pro 2.8 and will get the MC-20 teleconverter in a bit.

Actually bought the 40-150mm pro bundled with the 1.4tc but they said it was out of stock after three days of patiently waiting, so now I'm just getting the lens on its own.

It’s a fabulous lens and you’ll love it

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ugh whatever jeez posted:

Crazy IMO that with 1.4 TC I get 420mm f/4 lens that small.

that combination is my go-to for travel and it's been absolutely perfect for it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I am going to become the joker buy the Olympus 150-400

and become the joker

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

that one yea

(Also trading in and selling a lot of stuff)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Olympus just announced a 20mm f/1.4 PRO, due to ship next month. in typical Olympus fashion it is a very tiny boi